Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Sad to see Stephen Collins wasn't mentioned in the first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/818992416447463424

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

DMCrimson posted:

Only terrible people are happy that Trump succeeds Obama as president, AGC.

Why would anyone portray the intended sympathetic subjects as unhinged people living in a dark, depressing living room.

The best part is, the woman is missing a shoe.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Capitalism only works if people can afford things, sadly everybody is poor because it filters upward so heavily.

Always love the triple down of CEO bonus raise, raise price of products for reasons, cutting jobs due to money concerns. Surprised that less people can afford product.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

AGC.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yep, Americans are really weird about it. I worked for a major printing company and they would get stillborn babies/ultrasounds printed on literally everything.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 22, 2017

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

While I refuse to go searching through his website to confirm it, I don't think it's a new comic, it's from earlier in the year.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

America = Supposed to be multicultural, ergo they should be exporting that visibility, see using appropriate actors when it calls for it. Representation is important in a multicultural setting because it equates to visibility.

Japan = Not multicultural, they don't require the same type of visibility internally because they don't have the same multicultural makeup.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Emasculator posted:

This really implies Japan doesn't have problems with racism or dealing with other cultures, which oh boy howdy does it ever.

Oh it does, but I'll say that my take on it was more on how a country represents itself outwardly. Japan arguably does not sell itself as a multicultural place, definitely part of why there is racism there because they by in large acknowledge the single culture of being Japanese, I didn't say it wasn't problematic.

The US however is multicultural, it's make-up is diverse enough that those roles should be going to race appropriate actors. Part of the problem with the US right now is that some people seem to see that as in contention, some people believe the US is a white country, it is not. Ergo, whitewashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

tyblazitar posted:

A lot of people seem to be confused about some aspects of the whitewashing controversies, and luckily Idea Channel just released this really interesting and helpful video explaining a lot of it and why it matters. Check it out.

Also, saying "it's wrong in the US because it's multicultural, but it's fine in Japan/China/India/wherever because those are more homogenic cultures" is pretty offensively wrong. Literally every single country on the planet Earth has bad issues with racism and ethnic minorities, and those problems aren't insignificant just because the population of said minorities are smaller.

I agree that all countries should be held to that standard, I believe in it and multiculturalism.

But I can't really say I'm naive enough to be able to say that those standards currently apply globally, and that at the end of the day I can argue that it's important for any place that openly sells itself as multicultural that it is important for them to adhere to those standards. It's problematic when they don't because of poor representation when representation is something that is supposed to be an iconic aspect of that country, again it leads people to believe for instance that the US is a white country.

Can I hold Japan to that standard when they're so closed off as a cultural standard? I can't in reality, I want to and I would love to see every country to do so, right now though, I can only hold the countries that say they support multiculturalism accountable.

• Locked thread