Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

:furcry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't not love Fallout 4 because of the Boston flavor and some of the combat stuff, but the main quest definitely had issues.

After playing a few other games afterewards, I also think they need to get a decent director for the voice acting. A lot of the people working for them are perfectly fine voice actors, but they always seem a little dazed. There's a raider quote when the player stealts ("Hey, where'd that little fucker go?") that's painful every time I hear it, but it's super clear the actor put the emphasis on the wrong word, and another take totally would have handled it.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be, it's just really janky and half-baked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's no Falllout 3, but there is a lot to criticize.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

It's no Falllout 3, but there is a lot to criticize.

Yeah, that's the Bethesda game that I never played a ton of. It just wasn't fun for me. I think a lot of what makes Fallout suffer is that it has New Vegas to live up to and the factions weren't very fleshed out. A lot of what I liked about it are what I see other people criticize, though. The wacky settlement mechanics and the weird-rear end combat have its flaws, but I just really enjoy engaging with them. And I really don't get people who say it doesn't capture the setting, because there really was a TON of love put into setting the thing in MA, from Walden Pond to the Park Street Vault.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Actually, the entry in the Boston Bugle offices on how in the Falloutverse, the Red Sox didn't win the 2016 series, but were on the verge of winning, finally, at long last, when the bombs hit, is one of my favorite little video game discoveries.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HATE NEWSPAPERS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

HATE NEWSPAPERS

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Fallout NV has the best and most fitting selection of radio songs IMO

Or I just might have fond memories of wandering around turning radioactive monsters into piles of glowing goo while corny yet catchy old country songs scored the experience

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/75834708007009837

new slime rancher area coming...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i somehow by complete chance got put on the neutral endgame path in smtiv. apparently this is very hard to do?

i feel lucky but i'm worried i'm in for a gigantic pain in the rear end thats even harder than the standard paths. am i right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i somehow by complete chance got put on the neutral endgame path in smtiv. apparently this is very hard to do?

i feel lucky but i'm worried i'm in for a gigantic pain in the rear end thats even harder than the standard paths. am i right?

It isn't as hard to do as people state. Then only reason it's iffy is because there is (dumbly) a thin grey area where you can be too neutral for the neutral ending. Otherwise as long as you avoid the stupid rear end in a top hat choices you'll probably get it.

It isn't harder at all. You just have to do both final dungeons instead of one of them. The only theoretical hard part is that you have to finish a bunch of sidequests that were optional in the other routes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't as hard to do as people state. Then only reason it's iffy is because there is (dumbly) a thin grey area where you can be too neutral for the neutral ending. Otherwise as long as you avoid the stupid rear end in a top hat choices you'll probably get it.

It isn't harder at all. You just have to do both final dungeons instead of one of them. The only theoretical hard part is that you have to finish a bunch of sidequests that were optional in the other routes.

i've done like 3 sidequests the whole game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i've done like 3 sidequests the whole game.

Have fun doing 90% of the rest!

Alternately stop playing right there because the point you're at is the point SMTIV:Apocalypse continues from so you're ripe to just hop onto sequel town.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Have fun doing 90% of the rest!

balls

i think i'll reload the save and get a different ending

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anyone know why my copy of guitar hero live doesn't load after i finish setup?

ps3 version

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've never played a mainline SMT game to completion, are the neutral endings generally the best endings to get? I ask because I know when I looked up stuff about SMT1 and SMT Strange Journey, it seemed like the neutral route was the best with both the law and chaos routes resulting in law beings and chaos beings being huge assholes when they win

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

I've never played a mainline SMT game to completion, are the neutral endings generally the best endings to get? I ask because I know when I looked up stuff about SMT1 and SMT Strange Journey, it seemed like the neutral route was the best with both the law and chaos routes resulting in law beings and chaos beings being huge assholes when they win

Generally yes, as they're the endings that let you go "gently caress god" or "gently caress demons" and put humanity first.

That said, SMT III Nocturne opens it up and offers more endings than the standard law/neutral/chaos, so you'll want to be pickier in that game. (And go True Demon anyways because it's the most metal ending. :getin: )

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Wait where's the games chat for February

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Wait where's the games chat for February
We Forgot :911:

Vaalrn
Jul 7, 2015

Bicyclops posted:

After playing a few other games afterewards, I also think they need to get a decent director for the voice acting. A lot of the people working for them are perfectly fine voice actors, but they always seem a little dazed. There's a raider quote when the player stealts ("Hey, where'd that little fucker go?") that's painful every time I hear it, but it's super clear the actor put the emphasis on the wrong word, and another take totally would have handled it.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be, it's just really janky and half-baked.

Yeah, I agree. With the subtitles on, you can definitely see and hear what the voice acting direction should have been. A lot of my issues come from Preston Garvey. His voice actor is just down right terrible. He gets more comfortable doing the vo work with his lines later on in the game, but man when you first encounter him it's down right cringey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quick and dirty:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808351

• Locked thread