Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm time to apply to law school. Did lovely on the LSAT, looks like no ivys for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you aren't engaging with your professors by asking them questions or going to office hours you're doing it wrong.

Quoting this, because especially in classes where the grading is subjective, it makes a huge difference when it comes to borderline grades. If you'd aren't hitting up office hours a couple times per semester, you're doing it wrong.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I love class introductions on canvas. Some highlights:

"I'm a 25 year old Marine veteran shooting for his business DTA and eventually a masters in accounting. I'm in this class for my degree course and have already taken 202. On my spare time, I enjoy the range, driving my Jeep and playing pool. I take part in many veteran organizations too so if you are a vet or know a vet who may need some help I can at least get them in the right direction.

Semper Fi"

This guy is a boot, too. I had him in a previous class and he mentioned being a med-board and that his goal is to get his degree and then join the Marines again as an officer.

"In my spare time I enjoy listening to discussions of politics, society, religion, science and philosophy. I'm something of a book collector and I read as much as I possibly can with the time I have, mostly of a philosophical nature. I also make maps, drink tea, listen to music (all of the time), and enjoy strolls in the forest."

This person is a high school running start student.

"I'm currently in the running start program and am a junior in high school. I decided to do running start because I never really fit in at high school; I hated the constant immaturity and disruption of high school kids and as a result did not do very well academically."

:laffo:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you aren't engaging with your professors by finding out their favorite booze and getting them a bottle you're doing it wrong.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Thought I was the old guy in class today and in walks a guy who looked legit like Bernie Sanders.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I was sitting in my school's vet lounge when some kid walked in and asked for the name of another vet that walks with a cane in order to pray for him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I never understood that.

I am sure god would know who you were talking about if you wanted to pray for "that poor crippled veteran doing the lords work."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

All*h forbid we pray for the wrong cripple

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If my school had a vet lounge I would probably never hang out there.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The couches are comfy, there are snacks, and it's usually empty

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had free pizza in ours today :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

mmm time to apply to law school. Did lovely on the LSAT, looks like no ivys for me.

:lol: if you go to law school

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

The community college I went to had an awesome vet lounge with computers, tv's, and plenty of couches. Somehow the school I'm at now has no vet lounge despite more veterans attending. Fix your poo poo UW Bothell.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Concur. Be a plumber.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Ours is in a pretty small set of rooms that probably used to be faculty offices. I went in there once because the school makes you check in with their student leader or whatever if you're a veteran student. They were all nice enough but it was a cramped room, and really loud. I figured I'd never get anything done if I spent time in there so I never went back. Supposedly the one at main U is really nice but us getting screwed on funding isn't anything new.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Between remaining 33 and 31 bennies I'm pretty comfortable with my decision.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Vets these days, when I was in college, my Big 10 university didn't even have a Veteran resource center. Just some abeula who certified your enrollment with the VA :bahgawd:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Between remaining 33 and 31 bennies I'm pretty comfortable with my decision.

I mean I went to a pretty decent law school and the number of people I know with better grades than me still do not have jobs and if you didn't do well enough on the LSAT to get into a top school, you're likely to be unemployed when you're done. All of your peers are going to be drunk basically the entire time. Every social function will involve everyone getting as drunk as possible. Most of your peers for the rest of your life will have major substance abuse problems, is horribly depressed, and absolutely hates life. Unless you're in biglaw working 100 hour weeks you're not going to get close to sniffing 100k a year for 5+ years after graduation.

I'm not trying to dissuade you if you have an actual job plan lined out and this is just a wicket towards that goal. I don't know what your specific endgame is, but the legal employment world is absolute poo poo and is full of sociopaths, narcissists, and generally assholish people at a higher percentage than any other profession. If you haven't read the lawyer thread in BFC, I highly recommend that you do. Especially read Toona the Cat's posts if you want to see a recent vetgoon's law school escapades.

If you happen to have any substance abuse issues in your background, law school and the practice of law is a very bad idea.

If you do not have a general job plan, you are significantly better served by getting a different graduate degree in almost any other field and you'll have better longterm earnings and quality of life. If I had got a masters in economics or finance or something instead of my JD I would actually be looking forward to finding work instead of just selling tacos at college bars.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 10, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean I went to a pretty decent law school and the number of people I know with better grades than me still do not have jobs and if you didn't do well enough on the LSAT to get into a top school, you're likely to be unemployed when you're done. All of your peers are going to be drunk basically the entire time. Every social function will involve everyone getting as drunk as possible. Most of your peers for the rest of your life will have major substance abuse problems, is horribly depressed, and absolutely hates life. Unless you're in biglaw working 100 hour weeks you're not going to get close to sniffing 100k a year for 5+ years after graduation.

I'm not trying to dissuade you if you have an actual job plan lined out and this is just a wicket towards that goal. I don't know what your specific endgame is, but the legal employment world is absolute poo poo and is full of sociopaths, narcissists, and generally assholish people at a higher percentage than any other profession. If you haven't read the lawyer thread in BFC, I highly recommend that you do. Especially read Toona the Cat's posts if you want to see a recent vetgoon's law school escapades.

If you happen to have any substance abuse issues in your background, law school and the practice of law is a very bad idea.

If you do not have a general job plan, you are significantly better served by getting a different graduate degree in almost any other field and you'll have better longterm earnings and quality of life. If I had got a masters in economics or finance or something instead of my JD I would actually be looking forward to finding work instead of just selling tacos at college bars.

I'm fine to get into the best school in my state, and a couple decent ones on the west coast. I'm not gonna be getting into a t-14 but that's OK. I'm from New Orleans so substance abuse is in my DNA. Guess I'll see you on the other side, though not in florida because that state suxxxxx

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm fine to get into the best school in my state, and a couple decent ones on the west coast. I'm not gonna be getting into a t-14 but that's OK. I'm from New Orleans so substance abuse is in my DNA. Guess I'll see you on the other side, though not in florida because that state suxxxxx

New Orleans in your DNA you say? That must be where the garbage post history comes from.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

New Orleans in your DNA you say? That must be where the garbage post history comes from.

Pouring through the ol' post history eh? What is it that you're so salty about? You from florida?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Seriously, though, go read this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=56659

That's the tale of another vet-goon & law school even more recent than my own.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What's your bachelor's in? I'm going to recommend a masters of that over a law degree.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I feel like any Simpson's joke about a law degree applies perfectly here

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seriously, though, go read this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=56659

That's the tale of another vet-goon & law school even more recent than my own.

Nothing in there that's too alarming. My bachelors is in history, which was actually selected to make the most of my existing credits to expedite getting to law school. My brother is a public defender in the Bronx and we've discussed alot of the various ins-and-outs of what practicing law can entail.

I'd rather start over with an engineering degree than get a masters in history. I find the subject interesting but hardly applicable in a money making sense. Law school is actually the culmination of my post-enlistment plan to the 'T' so its time to loving get hot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Pouring through the ol' post history eh? What is it that you're so salty about? You from florida?

Nailed it

Edit: like yeah, I lived in Florida for a bit lol. gently caress that place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Nothing in there that's too alarming. My bachelors is in history, which was actually selected to make the most of my existing credits to expedite getting to law school. My brother is a public defender in the Bronx and we've discussed alot of the various ins-and-outs of what practicing law can entail.

I'd rather start over with an engineering degree than get a masters in history. I find the subject interesting but hardly applicable in a money making sense. Law school is actually the culmination of my post-enlistment plan to the 'T' so its time to loving get hot.

Good luck, godspeed, and I hope it works out for you.

Note that this is not an endorsement of your decision, but rather acquiescence. Your mind will not be changed and I do hope it works out for you, but the odds for you to be a happy and successful lawyer are not in your favor based on your specific circumstances. I hope you prove my skepticism wrong.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 10, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good luck, godspeed, and I hope it works out for you.

Note that this is not an endorsement of your decision, but rather acquiescence. Your mind will not be changed and I do hope it works out for you, but the odds for you to be a happy and successful lawyer are not in your favor based on your specific circumstances. I hope you prove my skepticism wrong.

The odds of any of that happening are 0. My current employability hovers at just about 0, so getting a JD with uncle Sam chipping in for the lion's share seems worthwhile. I have no illusions about getting out and making six figgies, and frankly if I wanted to go for beacoup bucks I'd try to go into business for myself. I've set the table for myself over the past few years, and now its time to sit down and eat my (potentially poo poo) sandwich. Not getting a 175 is a setback, but I don't see it as being that much of a game changer. Time will tell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Soulex posted:

Nailed it

Edit: like yeah, I lived in Florida for a bit lol. gently caress that place.

Only part of Florida I've been to is Tampa. gently caress Tampa.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I would also never go through your posting history dude. It's history. It's you. I ain't gonna gently caress that up for you. Ok? Ok? You're the best loving bro ever! Lets get loving wasted! Lets get loving wasted!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Only part of Florida I've been to is Tampa. gently caress Tampa.

I lived in the panhandle and it is worse.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone involved in Formula SAE? I'm at a point in my studies where I might actually Know A Thing about design and materials so I've been curious about joining.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Justin Tyme posted:

Anyone involved in Formula SAE? I'm at a point in my studies where I might actually Know A Thing about design and materials so I've been curious about joining.

At one point there was a goon in AI that was on a Formula SAE team, I think they still hang around. Make a few posts over there (chat thread and the stickied questions thread are probably best bets). There are quite a few automotive engineers there in general though, so they should be able to help you either way.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Luckily all my classes are online, so I get to stay creepy at home.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Tried both ways - I prefer in-class format, now. I was badly brainwashed by the military and need more structure than online classes offer.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I took one online class and absolutely did not do well in it. Heck, I even prefer big rear end lectures halls to online.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
my classes have online lecture videos which I actually prefer since I can rewatch a section if I don't get it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
My schedule's been too hectic to do in-person courses, although I have a bit more stability now work hour wise so I might take on in-person in the fall.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have to go to school in-class including doing work in the library otherwise I would get nothing done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

shyduck posted:

I have to go to school in-class including doing work in the library otherwise I would get nothing done.

Same. I go at 8 every day even though my MWF classes don't start til 1140. And I stay til 5 even though my latest class gets out at 230.