Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
poo poo, might as well get a job on campus if you're going to be there so long anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The school paper has their weekly meetings on Wednesdays and I'll be there from 8a to 930pm since I have morning and night classes (neighbors are going to babysit Monty) so I'll probably do that. It pays the same rate as any other campus job and is less of a physical time commitment.

When I get a car next month I'll be able to go home and take care of my dude but for now it just makes more sense to stay on campus all day.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Passed Medical Biochemistry by the skin on my goddamn teeth. Good thing medical school is pass/fail! A P is a P, so on to the next thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A P is a not always a P, friend.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TBeats posted:

A P is a not always a P, friend.

My P is more like an S

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You'd figure that a goddamn med student would know this.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

I would also never go through your posting history dude. It's history. It's you. I ain't gonna gently caress that up for you. Ok? Ok? You're the best loving bro ever! Lets get loving wasted! Lets get loving wasted!

Baxter!? You cut to the heart of me. I'm not even mad, frankly im impressed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TheQuietWilds posted:

Passed Medical Biochemistry by the skin on my goddamn teeth. Good thing medical school is pass/fail! A P is a P, so on to the next thing.

So this is why when I mention Pharmacokinetics to MDs they look confused

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
What the gently caress kind of lower division history class assigns 170 pages of reading the first week?

It's loving US history since 1865, not a grad school course. Most of the students in the class aren't even history majors.

Jesus Christ.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't read it. Wiki the main events.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah I don't think there was a single class I did all of the readings for and if I did do some reading it was usually skimming and then paying attention during the lecture.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Higher education is as much about figuring out how to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to being faced with large amounts of information as it is anything else.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

Higher education is as much about figuring out how to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to being faced with large amounts of information as it is anything else.

Yeah, but this seems a little excessive. I'm taking an upper division class this semester too, and the reading assignments are nowhere near as long.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That super nuts ft lower division work.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Applying for my first internship today :ohdear:

Working for the USGS is kind of my dream gig so I really hope I get this, despite only having taken like 4 geoscience related classes.

Also, anyone know what being a "10 point" veteran means exactly? I'm above 30% disabled according to the VA, filled out a sf-15 etc, I just don't know how their point system works.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
re: 10-pt pref
You have to talk to the voc rehab people to get your letter entered into the system. I recall people getting this brief rolled into the brief for voc rehab education benefits (since that's also part of that process). If you're over 30% disabled, then contact your voc rehab counselor and they can help you. I'm pretty sure it just means your SF-15 is entered into whatever system.

I did a volunteer internship this past summer at a research station. They almost exclusively host biology researchers, though not by design, so I was the only one there calling myself a geologist, but I got to help take measurements and survey stuff, and I can get a couple of good letters of rec. Went around with one dude to all these cow ponds and caught tadpoles and shrimp, did a lot of hiking and cruising around for snakes. It was really fun, and I'll go back this summer, but a high-pri long-term goal for me is to get a real paying internship or research assistant position before I finish my degree.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I just filled out the sf-15 PDF and attached a copy of my VA letter in USAjobs, is that enough? The deadline is tomorrow and my counselor is on leave

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yet another semester start tuesday and I already want to gripe.

Today: Calc professor sent out an email saying that we won't be using the $200 book + $50 web access code.

And since we've gone to a "common schedule" where most classes have been split into many 'rearrange able' 50 minute blocks I have class every day, where I either commute an hour there for one short class or have them smushed together such that i'll be hiking across campus in the 10 minutes between one ending and the next beginning.

Why do college students drink so much anyway? :rolleyes:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also its winter so there won't be many yoga butts so i'm just going to whine until morale improves.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You live in the wrong area friend. Still plenty of yoga butts in Southern California.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ahh the fist warm day of spring. When all the dudebros would bust out their basketball shorts.

So much VPL :allears:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ahh the fist warm day of spring. When all the dudebros would bust out their basketball shorts.

Quoting because you did a big ol Whoops

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
my class this semester is doing due dates on Friday at midnight, anywhere on earth time (basically sat 8am est). Guess whos staying in on fridays this year (I am)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've been staying Fridays my whole life.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The gently caress is a VPL?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The gently caress is a VPL?

The urban dictionary tells me it's visible panty line.

And one of those questions I never knew I wanted to ask has been answered.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm guessing visible penis line if they preferred dick

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Ah, as in the reason I only wear snug-fitting boxer briefs now. As much as I love being a lazy poo poo wearing gym shorts whenever I can, it's a pain in the rear end when you almost miss class after you had to spend 10 minutes thinking about Lena Dunham because the yoga pants brigade was having a show of force.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It's visible penis line geeze :rolleye:

And it's awesome!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wore a pair of workout pants to school as my main outfit for the day one time (it was Friday and I was going to the gym anyway).

I ended my day in the gym and when I was looking in the mirror I noticed. I spent the rest of my workout wondering if that's kinda what cleavage is like for women.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

App13 posted:

Applying for my first internship today :ohdear:

Working for the USGS is kind of my dream gig so I really hope I get this, despite only having taken like 4 geoscience related classes.

Also, anyone know what being a "10 point" veteran means exactly? I'm above 30% disabled according to the VA, filled out a sf-15 etc, I just don't know how their point system works.

Being a 10 point veteran is like a cheat code when it comes to fed hiring, it's supposed to bump you to the top of the heap among similarly qualified applicants without points. If you have the same qualifications as someone, but you have the points and they don't, you should get the job assuming you don't bomb the interview. That's how it's supposed to work at least.

10 points and a history degree landed me the chillest job ever with the natty archives in Colorado. :feelsgood:

If you've already filled out the SF-15 you just need to upload your VA letter showing your disability rating when you send in your junk on usajobs.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 13, 2017

App13
Dec 31, 2011

RichieHimself posted:

Being a 10 point veteran is like a cheat code when it comes to fed hiring, it's supposed to bump you to the top of the heap among similarly qualified applicants without points. If you have the same qualifications as someone, but you have the points and they don't, you should get the job assuming you don't bomb the interview. That's how it's supposed to work at least.

10 points and a history degree landed me the chillest job ever with the natty archives in Colorado. :feelsgood:

If you've already filled out the SF-15 you just need to upload your VA letter showing your disability rating when you send in your junk on usajobs.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Applied yesterday, so fingers crossed. My resume was poo poo since it was previously tailored for info sec, but hopefully that doesn't hurt me too much.

The 10-point thing almost makes the PTSD and TBI (the classic combo) worth it. Almost.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I changed majors and there aren't that many classes that I can take right now as everything else is already taken or has calculus and organic chemistry as a prereq. If I use my GI bill to take six credit hours does it use a full semester of it?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

I changed majors and there aren't that many classes that I can take right now as everything else is already taken or has calculus and organic chemistry as a prereq. If I use my GI bill to take six credit hours does it use a full semester of it?

The GI Bill goes by days not credit hours (although if you drop below full-time you use full days, but get less BAH). So, the ideal is to take the max number of credits that your school and mental health will allow. Take Organic Chemistry and Calculus if you need them. They aren't as hard as they're made out to be.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

The GI Bill goes by days not credit hours (although if you drop below full-time you use full days, but get less BAH). So, the ideal is to take the max number of credits that your school and mental health will allow. Take Organic Chemistry and Calculus if you need them. They aren't as hard as they're made out to be.

I need the classes but thats the only credits I need this semester. I think I'm going to pay for this semester myself

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reverand maynard posted:

I need the classes but thats the only credits I need this semester. I think I'm going to pay for this semester myself

They pro-rate time with regards to full student status. So if 12 Cr is full time then you will be charged for 1/2 the length of your semester and receive 50% of your bah iirc

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They pro-rate time with regards to full student status. So if 12 Cr is full time then you will be charged for 1/2 the length of your semester and receive 50% of your bah iirc

For fucks sake someone please find out if this is true because I thought benefits get used at the same rate even if it's 1CR or 500CR

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

For fucks sake someone please find out if this is true because I thought benefits get used at the same rate even if it's 1CR or 500CR

They did it for me during my last semester when I had to take an extra, single course. Since it was online I got 50% online BAH and, according to the guys in the vet affairs office, I was only charged 15 days of bennies for a 30 day course.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Im sure that having a good internship is super important to my future and stuff, but not smoking weed loving sucks. I'm on day two of no weed after smoking daily for two years. Couldn't sleep last night, no appetite today, and my body aches. Whoever said you couldn't get addicted to weed may have been wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You're addicted to the habit. You have no appetite because you don't have the munchies.