Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Im sure that having a good internship is super important to my future and stuff, but not smoking weed loving sucks. I'm on day two of no weed after smoking daily for two years. Couldn't sleep last night, no appetite today, and my body aches. Whoever said you couldn't get addicted to weed may have been wrong.

Go for a run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Masterbate, go to the gym, hike, do things.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

TBeats posted:

You're addicted to the habit. You have no appetite because you don't have the munchies.

This.

I smoke a poo poo load and I eat just fine. I don't sleep but that's for other reasons.

I quit smoking by smoking black and milds and drinking 40s of O E

App13
Dec 31, 2011

My roommate suggested doing 20 push-ups everytime I had the urge to pack a bowl. That's that kind of hokey boot camp bullshit that I love.

As for the sleep, it's mostly the dreams that bother me. Weed made me not dream.

In other news, I got an email from my school about my semester bill posting and holy poo poo am I glad vocrehab is a thing. gently caress paying $14k for a semester of public school

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

My roommate suggested doing 20 push-ups everytime I had the urge to pack a bowl. That's that kind of hokey boot camp bullshit that I love.

As for the sleep, it's mostly the dreams that bother me. Weed made me not dream.

In other news, I got an email from my school about my semester bill posting and holy poo poo am I glad vocrehab is a thing. gently caress paying $14k for a semester of public school

is that before the Pell grant and stuff? At CU I would have been paying close to 12k a semester, but with my pell grant, their matching grant, and a few scholarships I signed up for I realized I could've gone to school for free without the GI bill, granted I would've had to pay my expenses out of pocket. I miss starting each year with a cool 8k to blow :sad:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah that's before any sort of grant or scholarship, and is also out of state (the school for my home state is 3 hours away and also awful)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Yeah that's before any sort of grant or scholarship, and is also out of state (the school for my home state is 3 hours away and also awful)

uhh I dunno about voc rehab but I'm pretty sure that for the GI bill they're supposed to bill you as an in-state student.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They bill you as in state.

Also my semester cost 45k :smug:

Gonna go buy books and stuff next week.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Also my semester cost 45k :smug:

One semester? :stare:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I tried to talk to that guy out of going to the diploma mill. He told me that have a great program for what he is going for (criminal justice) and since it's all online he can do it from home.

Another one bites the dust.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

You can only lead a horse to water etc etc. Keep fighting the good fight

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TBeats posted:

I tried to talk to that guy out of going to the diploma mill. He told me that have a great program for what he is going for (criminal justice) and since it's all online he can do it from home.

Hey I just enrolled a dude with an "airtight" diploma from some online university. He can't find a job and a month or two away from losing his house! :toot:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey I just enrolled a dude with an "airtight" diploma from some online university. He can't find a job and a month or two away from losing his house! :toot:

Have you discussed flipping that house with him? Sounds like a future come-up for Mr. And Mr. N4I

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Not buying it unless he's in a MBA program or doesn't know how tuition works.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Tried talking a couple people in my unit out of Phoenix and DeVry, one of them took my advice and finally just finished his Bachelors in Comp Sci from a local school and left the Air Force for a programming job.

The other couple of guys stuck with Phoenix, tried to leave the Air Force, and can't find jobs after completing their "degrees"....

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yes :smug:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sounds like the only thing airtight about that is that he got hosed both in the rear end and in the mouth at the same time.

By his own hand, no less.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

not caring here posted:

Sounds like the only thing airtight about that is that he got hosed both in the rear end and in the mouth at the same time.

By his own hand, no less.

I feel bad for the guy. He loved what he was doing in the military, got medically discharged after getting hosed up in The Suck, decided to get the civilian equivalent degree, and got suckered by some lovely for-profit online college.

We're doing the best we can with his situation and at least now he knows to tailor his resume to each job he's applying for instead of shotgunning them :cripes:

Free advice: get some professional help with writing a resume and cover letter -- even if you think you know how to do it. Feedback never hurt anyone.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Where are you getting this near million dollar education from?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

use you loving bennies and your brain and cleverness, guys, I think I just got an engineering research internship at NASA

veteran preference is no joke

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

use you loving bennies and your brain and cleverness, guys, I think I just got an engineering research internship at NASA

veteran preference is no joke

What's your GPA? I'm worried about getting an internship because I'm sitting at a 2.8 :|

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Most for profit schools cost about that much, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My $120k piece of paper will be better than your $1 million piece of paper.

(Had someone try to use that as an excuse to gently caress off in school. "I'm doing all of this just for a $120k piece of paper so why work hard?" Goddamn kids are stupid.)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

Most for profit schools cost about that much, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard.

Tulane was about 45k a year, and that was ridiculous. Unless you're living on campus and that number includes a filled bookstore account and meal plan I'm curious where charges that much.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My school is about $35k a year. Throw in dorm fees, required meal plan if you live in dorms, and books and it's closer to $45k a year.

It's legit cheaper to pay $1000/month rent and buy your own food than it is to live on campus.

Private schools are ridiculously expensive.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

App13 posted:

What's your GPA? I'm worried about getting an internship because I'm sitting at a 2.8 :|

Mine's a 3.8, which also helps. Even still, apply where you can because you'd still get hiring preferences.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

RichieHimself posted:

10 points and a history degree landed me the chillest job ever with the natty archives in Colorado. :feelsgood:

Please tell me more about chill jobs with a history degree in Colorado....

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Where are you getting this near million dollar education from?

psydude posted:

University of San Diego

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are some private schools near the Twin Cities that cost ~$50k a year. There was some article in the Star Tribune last year where the deans of these schools were whining about how their enrollments were down because of "sticker shock".

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I reenrolled after the Navy at Penn State in 2014. It was 9k a semester. When I was a freshman in 2001 it was 3. loving 300% in 13 years.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
most expensive schools in the country top out at ~65k a year so uh... I dunno

http://www.infoplease.com/us/education/most-expensive-schools.html

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Education expenses in this country baffle me. It's no wonder so many rear end in a top hat right wing types open schools and then complain about the idea of free college.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I did a couple community college semesters in 2006 and it was like $600 per semester. It's like $2200 now at that same school.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, USD is affordable for GI Bill and now VocRehab. It's a beautiful loving school and I love going there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TBeats posted:

I did a couple community college semesters in 2006 and it was like $600 per semester. It's like $2200 now at that same school.
The latter was about what I paid, maybe a little more. Real college has been ~$15k-$16k a year, which doesn't really affect me since tuition gets reimbursed by the state.

One lovely thing they do though is if grad students take undergrad classes they get charged the grad school amount. Summer of 15 I took 4 classes (Was miserable, oops), and had this grad student in one of them. He got charged $7k for one class, I got charged $5k for 4. Mind you my price was due to tuition banding which means you don't get charged for any credits past full time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Grad programs always charge the going rate if you take an undergrad course. It's part of your graduate degree plan, then it gets charged that rate.

Ideally you don't have grad students in undergrad classes though. That usually means you don't have the foundation you should have, or that your degree program has that much slack.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Grad programs always charge the going rate if you take an undergrad course. It's part of your graduate degree plan, then it gets charged that rate.

Ideally you don't have grad students in undergrad classes though. That usually means you don't have the foundation you should have, or that your degree program has that much slack.

Mine charged them at a lower rate, albeit one that was higher than the normal undergrad rate.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

University of San Diego

Dude I used to live in San Diego and looked at USD for a hot minute before heading east to go to school. Unless you're factoring in the cost of rent, food, and blow into your monthly tuition bill, you're reading it wrong. USD is not 90k per year.

http://www.sandiego.edu/finance/student-financial-services/student-accounts/cost/undergraduate.php

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

Dude I used to live in San Diego and looked at USD for a hot minute before heading east to go to school. Unless you're factoring in the cost of rent, food, and blow into your monthly tuition bill, you're reading it wrong. USD is not 90k per year.

http://www.sandiego.edu/finance/student-financial-services/student-accounts/cost/undergraduate.php

22k semester is still a lot. Not that it matters.

USD is awesome. Small classes, yoga butts, chill atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

22k semester is still a lot. Not that it matters.

USD is awesome. Small classes, yoga butts, chill atmosphere.

But an underdeveloped mathematics program, apparently.