Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

goatface posted:

No, the thing with the toilet.

She owns an airline. I thought she made that pretty clear to the german guy, but I guess not. She had a lavatory painted so it looks like a terrifying smear of color his bathroom at home for some reason I didn't quite follow, on their flight to Hong Kong so he could ask her parents' permission to marry her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Jones posted:

Mike Lester is a piece of poo poo.

A thousand times this.

Boy was is on display in a number of different ways in that arc, holy poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

New Thread Bonus: I have this one filed away with my Asaekkiga comics but it looks completely different. I don't know where it came from!

These are Chewri Comics, (츄리닝) an anthology comic which I was translating at the same time I did Asaekkiga way back when I was still taking Korean classes maybe...four years ago? I recall the reception to these being more hit-and-miss, but that may have been because the translations were more low quality, and I couldn't explain the cultural context as well as I can now. As an example, I had no idea what a "Chewriring" was at that time, hence why I called them Chewri Comics. I now know that Chewriring is some sort of weird foreign load word for Tracksuit, so if I were translating these today, I would call them Tracksuit.

And why not, because apparently these are being stored on the same site that has It's All Right Chief Dharma.

Which is set in an office. It too is from South Korea.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Today's Pop Team Epic was cut up for easier reading.

Senryu is a kind of Japanese poetry similar to the haiku! :eng101:

Honey Come Chatka

Gojira is the Japanese name for Godzilla, but because they're in New York, they kept calling them Godzilla, in reference to the terrible 90s Hollywood movie. I didn't point this out earlier because I only just now got it.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 11, 1951)

Nancy (January 26, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 25, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 24, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 22, 1937)

Barney Google (October 25, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 24, 1934)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Surprisingly, I haven't seen anyone mention Bring Me The Head of Charlie Brown here yet.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

CaptainCaveman posted:

Don't leave us hanging!
I actually didn't open the thing for months, because I knew the reality would probably be less interesting than the possibilities for what the letter could possibly be about that I made up in my head, and I was right.

They were selling pianos, supposedly at a really good price, but I don't know going-rates on pianos. I don't know why I am on a mailing list for buying pianos.

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Sounds fun. I hope we get to see the goblin opera.
Yeah. I remember the goblins being drat adorable.
Holy poo poo a comprehensible Compu-Toon with an legitimately funny gag!
teapartyvoter.jpg

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Not a chance he's not bringing LuAnn.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like saying Judge Parker "got good" undersells its transformation.

Francesco Marculiano, aka "the Sally Forth guy," took over and immediately began to destroy the lives of the overly-wealthy protagonists in the most satisfying way. That factory staffed only by old people and run primarily on bribery? Sinkhole! The movie based on the Judge's book? Cancelled! Sophie? Missing! Basically every ongoing plot thread involving the Parker-Drivers receiving lots of money based on being main characters was shoved into the goddamned dirt to make something new and crazy.

Okay, that is fantastic news.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sadly, yes I can.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

So here's the thing about the current 9CWL storyline:

These two characters were introduced a few months back, which has been like two weeks in comic time. They're both musicians, and when they heard each other play they immediately wanted to gently caressfell in love, because in 9CWL music==sex. HOWEVER, they could not consumate their interest in each other because they're not married, and to engage in carnal relations before marriage is improper or some poo poo. So the guy proposes to the woman so they can have sex.

At this point, they have known each other like two days, and only met because they performed music together on stage as some last-minute thing or something.

HOWEVER, before the sex-enabling marriage can happen, the guy wants to get the woman's father's permission to marry his daughter. Turns out (ha ha!) the woman's family is ridiculously wealthy, and the father does not approve of this man marrying his daughter, and the couple end up playing music with the woman's family's grand piano. (c.f. "music==sex")

Anyway they're doing another music recital after having a spat, and have run offstage in the middle of it to have a totally fake self-administered marriage ceremony with just the two of them so they can finally have carnal relations in some prop room while their friends (who are supposed to be the main characters of the strip) fill in on-stage with presumably non-sexual music.

These two people, ones whose feet we've been seeing for a goddamn week and change, have known each other for about three weeks.

No, I do not know why I remember all that.

...I want to say these assholes were falling in love and talking about the no-sex thing when I stopped reading the 2016 thread.

In April.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (January 26, 1944)

:fireman:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, that is fantastic news.

...I want to say these assholes were falling in love and talking about the no-sex thing when I stopped reading the 2016 thread.

In April.

Still not as bad as the two-and-a-half-year Nazi Grandma story.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This seems way more serious than they're treating it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
One Big Happy is consistently good. I like the cast a lot, especially the old people (like that scary lady or the mean grandma Ruthie was talking to last week)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

She's what 4 or 5? What "great many things" could she have possibly learned in a year?

e: I guess she learned to paint, so I maybe Renee can re-enter the picture?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
What're the odds on legitimately nice guy that presents a hard choice for Iris after Wilbur returns vs. he's got an angle.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"She's in an advanced school"
"Well, forget about that."

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (January, 1918, click for big)

Rarebit strikes again!

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Well that's hardly a good argument, Mopsy.

Tweedy (October, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer - January 3, 2017 (click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

She's what 4 or 5? What "great many things" could she have possibly learned in a year?

e: I guess she learned to paint, so I maybe Renee can re-enter the picture?

She skipped a year or something, as I recall. She's been dumbed down to her correct level!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I remember this one! The joke is that the Swedes thought Python was a Soviet submarine.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sweeperbravo posted:

One Big Happy is consistently good. I like the cast a lot, especially the old people (like that scary lady or the mean grandma Ruthie was talking to last week)

Ruthie and Hilary Forth are the best comic strip children. Now-defunct Stone Soup's Holly is probably the worst.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

BigDave posted:

I remember this one! The joke is that the Swedes thought Python was a Soviet submarine.

I for sure thought it was a Nessie joke.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ruthie and Hilary Forth are the best comic strip children. Now-defunct Stone Soup's Holly is probably the worst.

It's been a long, long time since I read Stone Soup, but I feel like retrospectively it embodied a lot of what people dislike about newspaper strips. Am I painting it wrong?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Morbid curiosity demands an example of that strip because I've never heard of it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Andorra posted:

Morbid curiosity demands an example of that strip because I've never heard of it.

http://www.gocomics.com/stonesoup/1995/11/20

Knock yourself out. Holly is the blonde girl and Alix is the younger sister - a bit of a tomboy.

Correction - it's now Sundays only. And that's 52 times a year too many.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

sweeperbravo posted:

It's been a long, long time since I read Stone Soup, but I feel like retrospectively it embodied a lot of what people dislike about newspaper strips. Am I painting it wrong?

Generic family strip. Holly is the textbook self-absorbed teenage girl.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Crosspostin' from the webcomics thread

:unsmigghh:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Well when the wolf and the rabbit had a baby it was a little rabbit that could eat full-grown adult predators, so the porcupine and the bat will have a baby that

e: all the species can interbreed, reason #278 why Holbrook's animal society is both nightmarish and unworkable

e2: "well fine then the species, which broadly represent various human personalities and ethnicities, CAN'T interbreed!" "no that's even worse Bill! stop it!!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2017

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Am I crazy or did you use to post Jaf and Feiffer in the opposite order?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Calaveron posted:

:unsmigghh:

Post. More.
:chanpop:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Am I crazy or did you use to post Jaf and Feiffer in the opposite order?

I did. Depending on how I caught them in the paper, they switched. Tho that Feiffer date is special.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Calaveron posted:

Hey, I remember when this was being posted in the thread. When did that stop? Less than a year ago, right? And when we left off I think these two moved out. Kevin and Kell actually moves at a decent clip, or am I just misremembering how long its been? I'd laugh if the K&K guy has a better grasp on storytelling than Brooke McEldowney.

Slammy posted:

What're the odds on legitimately nice guy that presents a hard choice for Iris after Wilbur returns vs. he's got an angle.

I was pondering this earlier (one should never ponder Mary Worth, what has this thread done to me), have we ever seen Mary give out advice that actually hurt? Not like, intentionally, of course, but I can't think of a time where she wasn't right on the money.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Still not as bad as the two-and-a-half-year Nazi Grandma story.

So, I do have a question about this storyline. Wasn't the "what was grandpa doing while gramma hosed a Nazi," wasn't that the third time he's gone to that story line? Didn't he do the original story, and then do it again with some more bits added?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

catlord posted:

I was pondering this earlier (one should never ponder Mary Worth, what has this thread done to me), have we ever seen Mary give out advice that actually hurt? Not like, intentionally, of course, but I can't think of a time where she wasn't right on the money.

Does indirectly killing Aldo Kelrast count? I kind of want it to count.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

catlord posted:

So, I do have a question about this storyline. Wasn't the "what was grandpa doing while gramma hosed a Nazi," wasn't that the third time he's gone to that story line? Didn't he do the original story, and then do it again with some more bits added?
Probably. I don't remember too much from before the whole Nazi Gramma thing apart from the infamous hand-fuckin'.

The Classic Dinette Set makes America great again.

Working Daze has its priorities out of order.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is sponsored by Dateline NBC.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Johnny Walker posted:

I actually didn't open the thing for months, because I knew the reality would probably be less interesting than the possibilities for what the letter could possibly be about that I made up in my head, and I was right.

They were selling pianos, supposedly at a really good price, but I don't know going-rates on pianos. I don't know why I am on a mailing list for buying pianos.

I figured it'd be something stupid they were trying to trick you into opening, but wow, that's disappointing.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze has its priorities out of order.

Getting married? Having a child? What are these bizarre concepts this man speaks of? (I do get the joke and all, but when two out of three things he listed are stuff anybody should understand, it falls pretty flat.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (October 17-19, 1929)

Peanuts (January 6, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 12-13, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 23, 1930)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

She owns an airline. I thought she made that pretty clear to the german guy, but I guess not. She had a lavatory painted so it looks like a terrifying smear of color his bathroom at home for some reason I didn't quite follow, on their flight to Hong Kong so he could ask her parents' permission to marry her.

I think it's because he's a shy peer? (Or pooper, even. Hard to say.) So she painted it to look like Home Base so he'd have an easier time squeezing something out. How she could possibly have known about his problem in the time they had to get to know each other is beyond me.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, my goodness.

Sally Forth

Well, guess what, Ted. I don't know about what's happening where you live, but I'm getting snowed out of work tomorrow.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I expect in the very near future for Julie to once again show us what it looks like when she is Having None of this poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Is the red Radio Flyer wagon a preferred method of transport on Ballard Street? Who knows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Not a chance he's not bringing LuAnn.
Tommie would make more sense, being a nurse. Also, she doesn't really count as bringing anyone, because she's more like furniture than a person.

Slammy posted:

I really want Iris to choose him so we can see Wilbur drown his sorrows in endless sandwiches.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What about that godawful eye-dialect baby in Rose is Rose?

catlord posted:

I'd laugh if the K&K guy has a better grasp on storytelling than Brooke McEldowney.
Everyone has a better grasp on storytelling than Brooke McEldowney.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean
Most people would have just said "the middle of row 11".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

Hey, I remember when this was being posted in the thread. When did that stop? Less than a year ago, right? And when we left off I think these two moved out. Kevin and Kell actually moves at a decent clip, or am I just misremembering how long its been? I'd laugh if the K&K guy has a better grasp on storytelling than Brooke McEldowney.

Holbrook could totally give lessons to McEldowney (and a lot of other creators in this thread) in how to keep a plot moving and knowing when to wrap things up. Of course, it's easier for him because all his strips have huge and ever-growing casts so he's not stuck coming up with plots for the same two or three people over and over.

And if you think a porcupine and a bat breeding is weird, K&K also features a wolf who's having trans-species surgery to become a ram. (To be fair, the characters are totally cool with it and happy for him, but still, comparing transgender to an animal actually changing species is bizarre.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set makes America great again.

This makes me think of a Les Claypool song. With an animated video, so it's relevant to the thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqtAaYhhVYQ

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Tiggum posted:

Most people would have just said "the middle of row 11".

To be fair, he's totally right about being equally between the speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Tommie would make more sense, being a nurse. Also, she doesn't really count as bringing anyone, because she's more like furniture than a person.
Oops. Yeah. That's who I meant to say. I think I thought of LuAnn because she's right there and I thought they were setting that up.

• Locked thread