Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Oh what I'd give to see the reaction to this week's strips* from the woman this character is based on.

*And really just every strip in this poo poo show, honestly.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

These are Chewri Comics, (츄리닝) an anthology comic which I was translating at the same time I did Asaekkiga way back when I was still taking Korean classes maybe...four years ago? I recall the reception to these being more hit-and-miss, but that may have been because the translations were more low quality, and I couldn't explain the cultural context as well as I can now. As an example, I had no idea what a "Chewriring" was at that time, hence why I called them Chewri Comics. I now know that Chewriring is some sort of weird foreign load word for Tracksuit, so if I were translating these today, I would call them Tracksuit.

What are those words around the gun in he "my gun's not working" panel?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Zereth posted:

What are those words around the gun in he "my gun's not working" panel?

I imagine an onomatopoeia like "click". They're in the earlier panel too.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julet Esqu posted:

I think it's because he's a shy peer? (Or pooper, even. Hard to say.) So she painted it to look like Home Base so he'd have an easier time squeezing something out. How she could possibly have known about his problem in the time they had to get to know each other is beyond me.

That, and because a grown man who has travelled internationally (he's from Engerland, plus he's a professional musician) was deeply shocked to find out that a flight from NY to Hong Kong was, like, long.

No idea now why they're dressed like acolytes out of a 1970s made-for-TV dystopia film for their sexy-hand-time, but at least he's not wearing that skanky rollneck and mac anymore.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I just remembered this classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9f94S5FLMk

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane
The current story is pretty much the same as every other one of Brooke's romance arcs. The only thing you need to know is that eventually, a pianist will be fondled in front of an audience.

Pibgorn
Did you know that Pibgorn was originally a one month Christmas newspaper strip? Somehow that premise ended up getting warped into the hot mess that you see today. Also, you might not remember this, but we are currently in a storyline about a baker named Guy Le Pain. If that name isn't familiar, it is because we haven't seen him in over a year. Oh, and this story started back in November of 2014.

For whatever reason (like a massive case of writer's block), the strip took a nearly year-long break to post reruns from Brooke's other failed strip. No, not that one; Wahoo Terminal. And now for reasons that only make sense to Brooke, he has decided to add the main character in that strip into this one.

I think this is still relevant:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 29, 1994)

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 29, 1994)

I don't know how it does it, but Arlo and Janis strikes me as the most relate-able and realistic comic in the thread. It's really good at it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters. The Great Am was originally a Little Orphan Annie character, a mysterious immortal being who may or may not be God. The Spirit is from his own comic.

There have also been crossovers and references to The Phantom, Alley Oop and On The FastRack and WWE, which also means that Dick Tracy takes place in the same world as Safe Havens and Mary Worth. And I can pretty much guarantee that I'm missing some stuff here, because Staton and Curtis do not miss a chance for a reference.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Wow. That's some incredible artwork.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters. The Great Am was originally a Little Orphan Annie character, a mysterious immortal being who may or may not be God. The Spirit is from his own comic.

There have also been crossovers and references to The Phantom, Alley Oop and On The FastRack and WWE, which also means that Dick Tracy takes place in the same world as Safe Havens and Mary Worth. And I can pretty much guarantee that I'm missing some stuff here, because Staton and Curtis do not miss a chance for a reference.

A Tommy Westphall map of the newspaper comic universe would be a delight

(I assume we're counting in-story stuff and not one-off gags like "every character from every relatively well-known comic strip comes in with everything for a HUGE party")

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I don't know how it does it, but Arlo and Janis strikes me as the most relate-able and realistic comic in the thread. It's really good at it.

I could swear I remember it being said once that The Family Circus was less about telling jokes and more about just presenting moments, scenarios, and slices of life that its audience would find familiar and relate to. Arlo and Janis pulls off the very neat trick of being both relatable and genuinely funny. Don't get me wrong, I love cranky, dysfunctional, mean-spirited strips like Andy Capp (whose linework and layouts I'll go to the mat defending) and The Dinette Set (which... not so much) — and maybe that's why Arlo and Janis has become my favorite newspaper strip: these characters are obviously best friends, still very much in love, and imperfect but genuinely good people without being caricatures. I can't really think of any other strip that's worked that beat for as long or as well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

A couple strips ago, the redheaded pilot kid was from Terry and the Pirates. So you can tie that in too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

A couple strips ago, the redheaded pilot kid was from Terry and the Pirates. So you can tie that in too.

Oh, and I also forgot another obvious one, which is Mandrake the Magician via The Phantom. How did I remember that The Phantom crossed over with Mary Worth but not Mandrake the Magician?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I want The Phantom* to cross over with Sally Forth**.

*for the ghost who walks

**for the family who sallies forth

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and I also forgot another obvious one, which is Mandrake the Magician via The Phantom. How did I remember that The Phantom crossed over with Mary Worth but not Mandrake the Magician?

So ALL these comic strips will end up with the dog from Pooch Cafe staring at a snow globe with Dick Tracy's Police Station in it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (October 21-23, 1929)

Peanuts (January 7, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 14-15, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 24, 1930)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

I'm sure I've posted these before but that's kind of unavoidable when starting from the beginning.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Works better for this year really, since nothing makes sense anymore.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Arlo and Janis is probably my favorite modern strip in this thread.

Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Dustin

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Works better for this year really, since nothing makes sense anymore.

Is it just me, or does Chief Dharma often times seem like it's building up to one joke before switching tracks and making another? Like, in this one, I thought there was going to be a joke about ordering next year's cigarettes now, but no, instead it's a joke about him being behind societal change.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love this video. The odd poses and constant howling wind make it so enjoyably disturbing.

Tiggum posted:

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters.
Little Orphan Annie's mid-plotline cancellation was amazing because it happened while Annie was kidnapped and Warbucks didn't know where she was at all. It was basically "so Annie is lost, and Daddy Warbucks has no hope of finding her. The end!"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kennel posted:

Arlo and Janis is probably my favorite modern strip in this thread.

Agreed. I e-mail them to my girlfriend sometimes because they're just such great valentines.

Safety Dance posted:

Is it just me, or does Chief Dharma often times seem like it's building up to one joke before switching tracks and making another? Like, in this one, I thought there was going to be a joke about ordering next year's cigarettes now, but no, instead it's a joke about him being behind societal change.

No, I get that impression a lot too. Can never tell if he does that on purpose or if we're just on different cultural wavelengths. The title, at least, is always a pretty clear clue.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Little Orphan Annie's mid-plotline cancellation was amazing because it happened while Annie was kidnapped and Warbucks didn't know where she was at all. It was basically "so Annie is lost, and Daddy Warbucks has no hope of finding her. The end!"

It was better than that - she wasn't just lost, she was presumed dead by Daddy Warbucks, but she'd actually been kidnapped by a character referred to as 'The Butcher of the Balkans'. Funky Winkerbean wishes it could be that grim!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

It was better than that - she wasn't just lost, she was presumed dead by Daddy Warbucks, but she'd actually been kidnapped by a character referred to as 'The Butcher of the Balkans'. Funky Winkerbean wishes it could be that grim!
Oh, right, I forgot the details.

Although...we might be on to something here...

Hey, Batuik! You want to make your strip really bleak? Have Les get kidnapped by an international terrorist with no apparent hope of rescue, make everyone else believe he's dead, then cancel Funky Winkerbean! Man, that'd really amazingly dark!

You think he bought it?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh man, Herbert and Arlo must frequent the same forums.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:prepop:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I applaude Herbert for his fiscal acuity

(yeah, I didn't know what to expect when I typed that url to my browser... I'm living on the edge)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

A Tommy Westphall map of the newspaper comic universe would be a delight

(I assume we're counting in-story stuff and not one-off gags like "every character from every relatively well-known comic strip comes in with everything for a HUGE party")
Technically, every fictional character is already connected to every other by definition of what League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is.

(The Dick Tracy team is clawing feebly at the prospect of making something even a tenth as good.)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, right, I forgot the details.

Although...we might be on to something here...

Hey, Batuik! You want to make your strip really bleak? Have Les get kidnapped by an international terrorist with no apparent hope of rescue, make everyone else believe he's dead, then cancel Funky Winkerbean! Man, that'd really amazingly dark!

You think he bought it?

Of course he didn't buy it, not once did you bring up cancer.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

She is really tired of her idiot children.

quote:

Foob

And if she had been sleeping with other men who "didn't mean anything "? Scumbag.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Now I'm wishing senators regularly wore cloaks.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWUH. TJ is way too invested in the logistics of his roommates getting their gently caress on. You just know he's got a webcam hidden in there.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

STROM THURMOND was a PIECE OF poo poo!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TJ is going to murder Toni and wear her skin.

And then not have any charges filed.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Really Pants posted:

People like Ted Cruz can only wish to be as lovely as Strom. But God knows they try their hardest.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Really Pants posted:

The best part is the other southern senators had already agreed to not filibuster the bill, so he basically took a public stand in favor of discrimination that even other massive racists thought made them look like incompetent idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 12, 1951)

Nancy (January 27, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 26, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 25, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 23, 1937)

Barney Google (October 26, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 25, 1934)