Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

:3:

Honey Come Chatka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

treasureplane posted:

Gasoline Alley (October 25, 1923)

I realize misunderstanding is the basis of conflict but holy hell you exclusively go by "Mrs. Blossom" in the 1920s. That is not going to be a rare line of inquiry.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Sigh.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWUH. TJ is way too invested in the logistics of his roommates getting their gently caress on. You just know he's got a webcam hidden in there.
what
what is in the 'hot stuff' canister

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darthemed posted:

what
Hot sauce. TJ just forgot it in there after making their sex dungeon.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Hot sauce. TJ just forgot it in there after making their sex dungeon.

:nws: http://oglaf.com/heats/ :nws:

(Yes, it's Oglaf, of course it's NSFW.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

what
Stuff that is hot. The label seems pretty clear to me? :confused:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

So s e x finally came up in Luann and it is newlyweds being demure. gently caress you Evans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, if my friend presented me with a sex dungeon, I'd be more than a bit put off, too.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
TJ is being massively creepy with his "You guys are married now, so I know what you do with each other. Let me remind you at every turn" bit. Not only does he probably have cameras in the room but he will probably press his ear against the wall every time they're alone in there.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Darthemed posted:

what

Doesn't your room mate give you a can of lube for your girlfriend?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

what

Superglue.

That TJ, what a prankster!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

I remember this making no sense way back when but now that I know this is the first time the character appears, I'm guessing it's intended to establish his personality.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

This one should hopefully be easier to parse.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

what
Fire accelerant.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Darthemed posted:

what

Some homemade chili.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Political Ballard Street, or just an accurate portrayal of old people?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters. The Great Am was originally a Little Orphan Annie character, a mysterious immortal being who may or may not be God. The Spirit is from his own comic.

There have also been crossovers and references to The Phantom, Alley Oop and On The FastRack and WWE, which also means that Dick Tracy takes place in the same world as Safe Havens and Mary Worth. And I can pretty much guarantee that I'm missing some stuff here, because Staton and Curtis do not miss a chance for a reference.

You forget the most important cross-over of all: Funky Winkerbean! In his own strip, Tracy happened to trip up a bank robbery in Cancerview. In Batiuk's strip, Dick Tracy helped point out to the regular characters where some old comic books that had been police evidence were being auctioned.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

gleebster posted:

You forget the most important cross-over of all: Funky Winkerbean! In his own strip, Tracy happened to trip up a bank robbery in Cancerview. In Batiuk's strip, Dick Tracy helped point out to the regular characters where some old comic books that had been police evidence were being auctioned.

I just realized something: wasn't that before we found out Sam's wife had cancer? The crossover didn't end there! :aaaaa:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Hugh Jackman didn't know what a wolverine was either.
Neither did I when I first read the comic, but I was about 8 at the time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Didn't Dick Tracy have an off-panel Popeye appearance as well?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

So I not only confused LuAnn with Tommie, but I was completely wrong and she's not going with him. Oh well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goddamnit Watterson. Too soon man, too soon.

And yes I know the strip is 20 years old.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And now, the other comics I post! Thanks to a front-loaded work week, I wait to post half my comics until the back end of the week. Thanks to a snowstorm, you get these guys a day early. All of these are soap strips with an overarching plot, so prepare for :words:

Phantom Classic is just like New Phantom, but way older and people tend to like him more. In the current storyline, Diana has been kidnapped by a shady Thugee cult and held for ransom. Phantom is going to rescue her, of course. He infiltrated their secret base by disguising himself as another would-be kidnap victim and getting them to kidnap him instead. Then he went and jumped off the boat they were transporting him in and they're not sure if he's still alive. (He is.)

Also, there is a gorilla involved.

As I mentioned on Sunday, Comics Kingdom runs the weeklies and the Sundays offset from each other by several months, so you may recognize this plotline if you've been reading Sunday Phantom Classic for a while.

Radio Patrol is so damned convoluted, and that's the way we like it. Our heroes are Pat The Cop, Infantile Girlfriend (required by 1940's rules to be treated like a toddler at all times), and Pinky The Loathsome (one of those horrible children that appear in media all the time so kids will read/watch who are always horning in and are so smart and good at everything that you just wish they would die or at least be told to shut up). These people don't appear in today's strips.

We seem to be wrapping up the current storyline, but it's hard to tell with Radio Patrol. The main bad guy this time is called "The Mind" on account of he's so smart and also he leaves coins with a skull on them at the scene of his crimes. (It was so he could collect on a bet with his co-conspirator, "Sport", which doesn't matter since he murdered that guy anyway.) Now we've gotten to the inevitable point in any Radio Patrol storyline where the bad guy tries to get away and it takes forever and there's lots of running around.

Rip Kirby details the adventures of the titular Rip Kirby, super PI, and his standard-issue English butler, Desmond. The current storyline is pretty new, and involves a belly dancer and pickpocket named Sirene who is being exploited and blackmailed into doing more pickpocketing by some jerk named... uh... I forget. But no matter, it's sure to come up again.

Big Ben Bolt used to be a champion boxer, but now he's retired and has become a reporter. In the current storyline he's hanging out with his pal and former manager, Spider just so we can check back in with the boxing world for a bit. Our heroes are dismayed to find out that a promising young boxer has been contracted by his lazy dad to box for a shady promoter (Mr. Crain) who fixes fights. Dad recently found out the truth about the fixed fights and tried a little touch of ham-fisted extortion on Mr. Crain, but only got his rear end kicked by goons for his trouble.

Also, don't let the young boxer's appearance fool you. Though he appears to be 47, he's actually supposed to be quite young. Whatever the appropriate age to start boxing professionally is.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I loving called it.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (January, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (October, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shugojin posted:

Political Ballard Street, or just an accurate portrayal of old people?

This is oddly judgmental for Ballard Street. Then of course, the ones being judged aren't from Ballard Street itself, and really, who can you trust from the outside world?!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

gleebster posted:

Oh yeah. Which also means that Crankshaft is also in the same universe, but offset by ten years while also being set in the present. I kind of want a direct Dick Tracy/Crankshaft crossover now just to add to the confusion of that temporal anomaly.

Johnny Walker posted:

Didn't Dick Tracy have an off-panel Popeye appearance as well?
I don't remember it, but I can believe it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't care about your 15 minutes.

Working Daze is pretty much the same "joke" as yesterday.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix feels as good as it looks.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (October 10-12, 1955)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Daddy's pissed!

Ella Cinders

Blackie's thrift!

That Rookie From the 13th Squad

Squaddies miffed!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EasyEW posted:

drat

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Adam Ames

Daddy's pissed!

I see this takes place before childhood vaccines were a big thing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Ella Cinders

Blackie's thrift!

"As welcome as a kleagle in a synagogue" is not a simile one sees a lot of these days.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Putting Funky Winkerbean to shame without even trying.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Tiggum posted:

Oh yeah. Which also means that Crankshaft is also in the same universe, but offset by ten years while also being set in the present. I kind of want a direct Dick Tracy/Crankshaft crossover now just to add to the confusion of that temporal anomaly.

I don't remember it, but I can believe it.

There was also a Barney Google crossover, and the appearance by Mr. Magoo.

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Selachian posted:

"As welcome as a kleagle in a synagogue" is not a simile one sees a lot of these days.

:yikes:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Obama noooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU