Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters. The Great Am was originally a Little Orphan Annie character, a mysterious immortal being who may or may not be God. The Spirit is from his own comic.

There have also been crossovers and references to The Phantom, Alley Oop and On The FastRack and WWE, which also means that Dick Tracy takes place in the same world as Safe Havens and Mary Worth. And I can pretty much guarantee that I'm missing some stuff here, because Staton and Curtis do not miss a chance for a reference.

You forget the most important cross-over of all: Funky Winkerbean! In his own strip, Tracy happened to trip up a bank robbery in Cancerview. In Batiuk's strip, Dick Tracy helped point out to the regular characters where some old comic books that had been police evidence were being auctioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

I'm not sure if Feiffer's constant relevance is depressing or uplifting in a way.

Feiffer's reliance on drawing the same face 6-12 times, so he can provide a monolog is pathetic. More so when you realize he really can draw interesting things when he wants.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

...I don't need to explain this one again do I?

Unless it isn't about rape within the ranks of the South Korean Army, no.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

In case anyone wants it.

Edit: or is that too large?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Once again I will note that I hope Hil remains 12 while Bettina ages in realtime.

I hope Bettina never gives up the nose-grabbing thing.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Command Ant posted:

The WSJ wrote a dishonest article about Pewdiepie trying to make a scandal out of some of his bits, which kicked off a flood of similarly dishonest clickbait articles and op-ed pieces.

I'm not a fan of Pewdiepie, but what the news media did was clearly malicious and self-serving at his expense, and you'd have to be excessively spiteful or stupid to have gone along with it.

Like these two.

So what are you saying? I don't know anything about poopieguy, so are you happy he is whatever, or not so happy that whatever?

Oh, and why the gently caress should I, an adult human, care about poopie?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

It strikes me that Mr Tweedy is just Ziggy with hair and trousers.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's so weird to think that 60 years ago you could just walk into the mall and buy a rifle

In one of Paul Fussell's books, he said that in 1939, you could buy a cavalry saber at Harrod's in London.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Darthemed posted:

Dick Tracy

That fourth panel makes this look like Dick Tracy vs Mobuto Sese Seko.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

I had a dream last night that scammers were walking around dogs without tails, had a fake tail in their hand and were convincing people to give them money to help their dog whose tail had just fallen off. If they didn't give money the dog would die, they said. I saw them do this twice, once outside my childhood house, once at an outdoor mall. I confronted them at the outdoor mall, they said they had to hide because they were ex-KGB. I swear, no rarebit was involved.

This is absurdly hilarious. I love Mary Worth.

Outbursts of Everett True (August, 1916)

I can understand being cautious if your doctor is literally Trotsky.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

The horrible feeling that you've been out-balconied.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Darthemed posted:

Ye Olde Dick Tracy

First I thought she was going to die in a fire at the garage. Then I thought she would be killed by dogs. Then I thought she really would die in a fire. Now I don't know what to think.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Kavak posted:

I know what it's saying about normalization and the future, but what it reads as is "Nixon hosed everyone's wives".

Also keep posting Flash Gordon.

I don't think anyone in 1974 would have thought, "Nixon hosed someone other than Pat" was plausible. Hell, "Nixon hosed Pat in the past ten years" would have been debatable.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (April, 1941)

Wait, wait wait.. THIS can't be the reference, can it?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_a_Man_with_a_Maid

I think you failed to read your own reference completely.

quote:

The book's title is derived from the Bible's Book of Proverbs, where the wise King Solomon mentions "The way of a man with a maid" as one of the "things which are too wonderful for me, yea, which I know not".

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

2002 Spiderman

I love that the Crimson Hood's brilliant plan didn't include bringing anything to put the 3000-year-old artifact into, so she's just carrying it in her hand.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Is that someone or just a random Bandar?

That's Babudan, the greatest tracker and hunter of the Bandar.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The only think that can elude Babudan is his receding hairline.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mea Culpa posted:

Bad Machinery

Wow, some children of indeterminate age* waking up and going to school in some country where they drive on the left. Looks like this one's going to be quite a wild ride.

*For people in whatever country this is, I guess "grammar school" is a tell as to their ages.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Geomancing posted:

Having lost my father last year after a short, fast illness, I'm not looking forward to this Sally Forth storyline.

I also realized that those old New Yorker cartoons somehow manage to be more bizarre and incomprehensible than Ballard Street, which is intentionally going for weird humor.

My old man is 20 years gone and I'm not looking forward to this.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Johnny Walker posted:

Kris Kristofferson searches the skies for his nemesis, the Phantom.

That makes no sense. Kristofferson is a helicopter pilot. You'd think he'd know all the tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

So why did the cat pull the natto container apart?

• Locked thread