Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Some of these commenters really hate the poo poo out of Toni. It's weird. Usually the Internet is very fair and slow to pass judgement on pretty women.

If you're interested, the other common theory, other than that Toni is a scheming bitch out to gut the blameless Brad on his anniversary, is that Toni suspects she's pregnant and is going to a doctor for the official confirmation. Or that she's off to adopt Shannon, which should be an interesting thing to watch her attempt since Shannon has a father.
Why are they like this? What is wrong with these people?

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft
Is that a euphemism?

It's work for hire. There are a lot of problems with the way copyright works and how large businesses exploit workers, but I don't think this is one of them. If you're paid to make something for someone else, whether that's an individual or an organisation, then they own it, not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

No, "Crankshaft's literal chimney attached to his house catches on fire a lot" is a running joke in the comic.

I know but "how often do you get your chimney cleaned" really sounds like a euphemism. :ssh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Does anyone have this Dick Tracy edit from one of the old comic strip megathreads? It was from before the comic got a new, competent artist. It was a bunch of panels of Dick Tracy characters making fists, pasted together and the dialogue edited, and I think it ended with "I too am making a fist, detective..."

This is a really specific request but it's been stuck in my head for years. I think it was in a few of the OPs for the older threads but I don't have archives.
It's not in any of the ones that still have working images. Unless someone happens to have saved it it's probably lost forever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I would actually like to know the answer to this question.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Wilbur Kelrast
It's times like these that make you glad you bother to keep reading Mary Worth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like ignoring the current vintage Apartment 3G story has led to me missing some choice insanity—can anybody explain to me what's going on?
There's a children's book author who seems to legitimately believe that his stuffed animals talk to him. His wife, who seems to have married him purely for his money, wants him to write another book, but he's decided he can't write any more and wants to be a garbageman instead. He seems to think that getting a job as a garbageman will impress his wife, even though she's made it pretty clear that it won't. Margo, Luann, Tommie and Aristotle like him and are sort of trying to help him out, although Margo's getting a bit sick of him, I think.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Are they really in a newspaper or does he just publish them on comics kingdom or whatever it is?
Two of them are in papers, I'm pretty sure. The third is "The World's Longest Running Daily Webcomic"¹.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The "millennials love selfie sticks" meme annoys the poo poo out of me, because I have never seen anyone under the age of 50 using one.

"Wilbur, do you remember Aldo?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of someone should write angry letters because seriously, nothing's come of that at all and I'm beginning to suspect the syndicate either doesn't know or thinks they can quietly ignore it
The copyright date on that strip's 2007. They've been posting reruns for a while now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is all I wanted for Christmas, and I don't even care that it's a few days late :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

IT GETS SO MUCH BETTER
:roflolmao:

I want this framed. I want it hanging on my wall so I can look at it every day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yeah, $30+ seems a little steep for a single comic strip, to be honest. And you can't even get multiple strips together or specific panels by themselves.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth
Every year I wonder, who relates to this? Who finds it difficult to stay awake till midnight? To quote my mother "why wouldn't I stay up till midnight on New Year's Eve? I do every other night."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Ham Shears and the Creeps
:bisonyes:

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Had them put the video on the WHAT? :bang:
Well, video CDs were a thing. You could use them to play stuff on a DVD player if you only had a CD burner, not a DVD burner.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

VCDs were a huge thing during the transition period of VHS and DVD.
You could fit like one, or TWO episodes of a show, at most, on a VHS, but fit alot more on a VCD. Not as much as a DVD and at VHS quality but still.

VHS tapes held way more than VCDs. I had a bunch of VCDs with movies split into halves because you couldn't fit a whole movie on one disc. You could get tapes that were four hours long, and would hold even more than that if you had a fancy VCR.

The advantage of VCDs was that they were smaller and therefore easier to transport and store and, most importantly, they were super easy to copy. You only needed one friend with a high-speed internet connection and they could copy stuff for everyone.

Tapes that only had one or two episodes on them were just media distributors taking the piss because they could get away with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CommaToes posted:

Happy New Year to my fave thread. But do we make a new one for 2018?
I always like to see a new thread for the new year. I'll even start it unless someone else particularly wants to do it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

All right, new year, new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

• Locked thread