Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, last Christmas I was able to binge on 20,000+ posts and catch up with the 2016 thread in early January, this year, I gave up and skipped from April to today.

Any major developments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mary Worth's art is good now, all of Judge Parker is good now, Guy Gilchrist and Tom Batiuk remain irredeemable.

huh

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Brooke McEldowney abdicated his pervert throne and actually started drawing really good and interesting comic strips starting sometime in the middle of last year; go to the 9CL archives and just keep reading until you hit the fun stuff (it starts around Mid-May, maybe? with an AI simulation of Shakespeare gaining consciousness and realizing it's being used to sell hamburgers iirc).

somehow I don't believe you

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like saying Judge Parker "got good" undersells its transformation.

Francesco Marculiano, aka "the Sally Forth guy," took over and immediately began to destroy the lives of the overly-wealthy protagonists in the most satisfying way. That factory staffed only by old people and run primarily on bribery? Sinkhole! The movie based on the Judge's book? Cancelled! Sophie? Missing! Basically every ongoing plot thread involving the Parker-Drivers receiving lots of money based on being main characters was shoved into the goddamned dirt to make something new and crazy.

Okay, that is fantastic news.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sadly, yes I can.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

So here's the thing about the current 9CWL storyline:

These two characters were introduced a few months back, which has been like two weeks in comic time. They're both musicians, and when they heard each other play they immediately wanted to gently caressfell in love, because in 9CWL music==sex. HOWEVER, they could not consumate their interest in each other because they're not married, and to engage in carnal relations before marriage is improper or some poo poo. So the guy proposes to the woman so they can have sex.

At this point, they have known each other like two days, and only met because they performed music together on stage as some last-minute thing or something.

HOWEVER, before the sex-enabling marriage can happen, the guy wants to get the woman's father's permission to marry his daughter. Turns out (ha ha!) the woman's family is ridiculously wealthy, and the father does not approve of this man marrying his daughter, and the couple end up playing music with the woman's family's grand piano. (c.f. "music==sex")

Anyway they're doing another music recital after having a spat, and have run offstage in the middle of it to have a totally fake self-administered marriage ceremony with just the two of them so they can finally have carnal relations in some prop room while their friends (who are supposed to be the main characters of the strip) fill in on-stage with presumably non-sexual music.

These two people, ones whose feet we've been seeing for a goddamn week and change, have known each other for about three weeks.

No, I do not know why I remember all that.

...I want to say these assholes were falling in love and talking about the no-sex thing when I stopped reading the 2016 thread.

In April.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lemgthy

• Locked thread