Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I'm not sure if Feiffer's constant relevance is depressing or uplifting in a way.

It's both. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

There've been worse ways to remember MLK. There's a company that sells military Lego-style kits. They called Martin Luther King a fighter for civil rights and gave a discount on their wares in his honor. The discount also includes all their Vietnam War stuff.

Ironically, he supported Vietnam in the beginning as the first integrated war until it became clear that the lives of black soldiers were being valued less than white ones.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Huh? He didn't speak out in opposition at first because he was concerned it could potentially undo LBJ's civil rights agenda, but that's quite a bit different from "supporting" it.

"Since I am a preacher by calling, I suppose it is not surprising that I have seven major reasons for bringing Vietnam into the field of my moral vision. There is at the outset a very obvious and almost facile connection between the war in Vietnam and the struggle I and others have been waging in America. A few years ago there was a shining moment in that struggle. It seemed as if there was a real promise of hope for the poor, both black and white, through the poverty program. There were experiments, hopes, new beginnings. Then came the buildup in Vietnam, and I watched this program broken and eviscerated as if it were some idle political plaything on a society gone mad on war. And I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic, destructive suction tube. So I was increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor and to attack it as such."

Huh, I guess he did.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. This too shall pass.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dismas posted:

Prince Valiant is turning into that one Calvin and Hobbes strip where there's a plane crash, train derailment, earthquake, and gas leak all centered on the same house

"Val's eye twitches involuntarily."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I just..can't...whut

Edited 9/11 tribute.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The anti-semitic stuff was apparently from a bit where he was being paid to say stuff his fans sent in or something. He may have done it in a bid to get banned so he has a reason to retire, but YouTube will never do it because if he changes his mind he could start up a genuine competitor to them with his 50 million subscribers.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Is this actually being printed in newspapers? How? Seems like it would completely break the formatting.

You just turn the paper sideways.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I swear they did that one before.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is all up in your business.

Did they change artists? It looks different.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Oh my, it's worse than I imagined.

He looks like a goddamn child molester.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dismas posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo Gilchrist

Someone edit in Freddy Mercury descending upon the Earth from the skies to smite them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

You still can in many states

Yeah department stores may not have gun racks anymore but there are still sporting goods stores and the like even in California.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix posits an upside-down world.

Costa Ricans don't even have an army.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Did he loving shrink the uncles?

I swear to god they were taller whenever i last saw them, but maybe he just never drew them from the waist down before

Phil's been absorbing their height and musclemass.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to be a climate change denier and work on a nature comic simultaneously.

He really doesn't want to. He wants to write the shittiest, slowest adventure strips possible but also not lose his cushy cartoonist job.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Except McGovern got smashed harder than anyone since Alf Landon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Seriously, though, it's still not a great joke but taking out the second word balloon makes it so much better.

I can't believe Rita is loving dead.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix asks the tough question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It was Chosin Reservoir, and I have it saved somewhere, but not under a searchable name.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'd like Mark Trail more if every Sunday was just poorly drawn Cthulhu Mythos entities.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't get it

AND HE DIED

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I sure am glad Piranha Club is currently tackling the current North Korea issues with the good humor, grace, subtlety, and whatever the opposite adjective for horrible, white hot stupidity it is well known for

With the lead time I don't think he knew that all this would be happening.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Star Trek is good and should be kept the gently caress out of Working Daze.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And Syria's a little...hot at the moment.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Also biggest quality gap between the classic and modern versions.

Nancy, no contest.

Most Likely to get Hit on the Head with a Brick Besides Newspaper Spiderman.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is the rest of the convention like that or was he just stuck in its most depressing hall?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slammy posted:

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Tekeli-li'd that for you

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, featuring a character cameo that reminds you that you could be reading something else right now.

Tintin and the Cancer with the Golden Tumors

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

America

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Edge of Summarizing

Thrilling reporting-what-someone-else-said action!

He just flipped him. This is a weekly strip that someone is being paid for and he copy-pastes.

Who do I have to blow to become a syndicated cartoonist?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

CommaToes posted:

It's 2017, right? This comic is not from the 1970's and for some reason being released now, right?

Of course not. You think 1970's racists knew what Kimchi was?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The more things change...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Finally, Intelligent Life is funny.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Conan's hair, what type of geek am I?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't get it :saddowns:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like how the interviewer is just realizing that they've called a loving cartoonist to talk about geopolitics.

Anyway here's Al Capp to discuss Bill Cosby's ongoing sexual assault scandal.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

I know what it's saying about normalization and the future, but what it reads as is "Nixon hosed everyone's wives".

Also keep posting Flash Gordon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm getting bored with JJ too. Anyone got classic Sundays they'd like to see? Maybe Flash Gordon?

Nothing on CK is jumping out at me. Maybe I'll stick with JJ at least until the end of this story.

Do what you want with Jungle Jim but absolutely post classic Flash Gordon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Wonder if "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat" still worked 75 years ago?

Minus the popularity of the word rear end in a top hat, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

haven't you ever been in Costco or something and they have the pitchman there

Costco doesn't sales pitch unless you ask about a food sample or whatever.

• Locked thread