Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Isn't it "olly olly oxen free"? I have no idea what it means or entails, but I at least know the phrase.
It has many variants, often quite regional, of which that is the most widely known. All anybody knows is it's a phonetically corrupted version of -something-, so there's really no wrong way to say it as long as you hit vaguely the right sounds in the right places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

It's not like Nona can even lie. Their friend telepathy would reveal that immediately.
what if she can lie because the lie means they're no longer friends

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:eyepop: a Retail featuring setup:punchline instead of situation:moaning, and its funny to boot! :eyepop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's nothing to fix because it's entirely accurate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Quality references here

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse
For a start, Aries currently consists of five stars, not four. It has contained more stars than that in the past as stars, rather than being fixed pin-pricks in the sphere of the sky through which we can see God, are burning nuclear arsenals whirling about an expanding universe with no regard for artistic licenses. Aries was also originally the Field Worker, and probably shifted into a ram due to changes in agrarian practices or as the constellation moved to cultures with more of a focus on husbandry. To boot, traditionally the ram is depicted as being seated to accommodate for there being no 'limb stars'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I mean, it's clearly a horned animal of some kind. It's situated right next to a guy with a bow and arrow, too.

But part of my point is that criticising constellations for not looking exactly like the things they're named after is kind of stupid 3,000 years after the stars they were made from were assigned symbols that, as far as we know, could be have been given due to anything from the cultural symbolism the time of year those stars were used to identify and designate to simply some ancient nerds star-gazing and imaging something wholecloth with no context like a child would with clouds. The only reason they have names is just to shorten "hey, when the sun rises in the area between that group of stars there and the star really far below it, and the slightly stronger stars to the left of it but still inside the bright star to the left of the bright star above the whole group, then it's spring"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Finally a relatable Vivi and Wagner.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tiggum posted:

La Cucaracha

What?
There's somewhat of a meme that the Mayans just disappeared among the fringe science types that also buy into bunk like Mayans predicting the end times - it's often used to argue about spaceships in their art - but in reality they just became an underclass under Spanish rule while the modern divisions of South America were set up around them, effectively 'hiding' them from early European research into Native American history.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I'd never heard of this. I mean, I'd heard of the "Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world bit" but not the idea that the Mayans somehow disappeared without trace. So when I saw that comic it just struck me as a really weird question to even ask - they were conquered by Spain, that's what happened to them.
Yeah, it's around because fringe ancient alien stuff is all basically a game of telephone started in the 19th based on third-hand accounts taken out of their original context. Basically the Spanish did report conquering the land of the Maya, but they reported that the Mayan cities were already in ruins by the time they arrived - which was true. To scientists of the day the arc of civilisation was ever-upward, so they simply didn't bother mentioning that the Maya were still there, just not still living in the megalithic cities - instead, the fact that they did not live in the cities was used to argue they weren't the native populace and therefore taking their land was fine. That argument was used also against the Native Americans based on them no longer building mounds.

So, according to shittily understood quotes across the late 20th century that alien theorists keep citing from each other, the Spanish just walked into Maya and found massive abandoned cities that hadn't been destroyed due to war, so therefore the Maya must have chosen to leave, and of course if they were predicting thousands of years in the future through the power of stars and math, then maybe they left for the stars!!!(???)

Buy my book about why previous calculations on the end of the Mayan Long Count were miscalculated and it's actually taking place in January 2017.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Where's Death Ray when you need him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ Powerful women are sexy and therefore making yourself look sexy can substitute for power - Brooke, a feminist.

sweeperbravo posted:

It didn't used to say "tiger"

I'm not sure when "tiger" became the most widely used version.
I think when saying the one that Rudyard Kipling popularised became socially unacceptable - so at different times in different places.

I grew up with "tiger" in the 80s and it wasn't until I dated an American in the early 2000s that I even learned there was an alternative.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 21, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

I guess it makes sense not to have the identical twin doing the impersonation when you have access to Cobra, called Luciphur.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

loving millennials worrying about their cholesterol.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

goatface posted:

Reed Richards could turn him into a cow.
That works out fine until people start drinking his milk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Love is a lop-sided lady.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I want my money back.
It's a really interesting story of how that miscalculation came about. You can read about it in my new book Maya Apocalypse Now October 2017 For Real This Time (Aliens Did It), on sale now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

goatface posted:

Henry VII was the king of England, not Britain.
Also, having just watched a documentary about it, officially he was crowned the day before the battle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slammy posted:

Mary Worth rarely swerves.

I've not noticed Kelrast dabbing at the wheel before.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The key is to put in exactly as much effort as it deserves, and you hit that precisely.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Dare I clip art a negro?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pro-tip for Adventurer's Club members - upon arriving at an airport, don't get in the waiting car of anybody who doesn't know your name ahead of time.

Writer's Club pro-tip: if it doesn't make sense for a character to introduce themselves, just use a nameplate like Dethany from On The Fastrack does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I keep trying to forget about Raine Dog because of how Phoebe and Her Unicorn is actually legitimately good but augh people keep reminding me about it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That was the first success - newspaper comics is like the only medium in which you can avoid having any of those three things without affecting your popularity or distribution in any way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CRIME STOPPERS TEXTBOOK
During the denouement scene never take your finger off the trigger and make sure to point your gun directly into the face of whomever you are addressing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I like nothing about Luann.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I will never tire of The Cups Saga.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thank you Jam Esallen for the parable of Walter Palmer we are about to receive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse
Internet was down.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Calaveron posted:

It's my worse nemesis, Anusface! And it's just a guy with a leaky, inflamed rectal sphincter for a face.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WindyMan posted:

Lasagna Cat has updated, and…

Wow.

Twelve new strips/videos, a FOUR HOUR collection of their sexual partners survey, and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

This is just insane.
The amount of effort they put into small details in that video is loving insane too (plus the ending is :catstare:)

And one of the new strip videos is also an hour long. Never did I think they could top Exciting Man-Robot Delivers Justice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Batiuk doesn't even know what year it is anymore.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"Mark, remember yesterday when you heard the coyotes and quoted Bram Stoker - he was talking about wolves in that quote!!!!"
"Yes, Cherry, when I heard them it made me think of wolves and then I quoted Bram Stoker."

Holy poo poo this is some dynamite writing here. Welcome to the edge of a Trailvania adventure as we spend the next six months watching Mark try to navigate a castle to kill his dad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Weird how when that information is stored online all of a sudden you become stupid because you aren't using your brain for anything you're just getting it all from your mobile you goddamn millennial pieces of poo poo get a job.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Chuck Tingle managed to write multiple stories about people being pounded in the butt by concepts.

See also: Terry Pratchett, except with less butt stuff.
Pounded in My Input/Output Socket Not Through Predetermination but by Decisions I Alone Bear Responsibility For.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Maslovo posted:

Thirding interest in those comics but I've never understood why he-man had a secret identity. He's the prince! Skeletor is already trying to kill him and his loved ones! What's the point?
It's a narrative device the tv show uses to lower costs by enabling them to fill multiple minutes per episode with a generic transformation scene to protect his loved ones, as usual. The key thing is that as a vehicle to sell toys the writers of He-Man didn't bother to have internal consistency Skeletor's goal has always been to assault Castle Greyskull and the Sorceress rather than the Royal Family - the episodes where he fucks with them happen because the writer for that episode assumes his "take over Eternia" goal is to assume kingship rather than ultimate magical power by breaching Greyskull fairly rarely.

I'm really interested to see how these go - off to a promising start with multiple Two Bad insults without a repeat!

• Locked thread