Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gotta say, I'm worried about Gilchrist. I don't think he's handling the recent election well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

painynumbs posted:

Arlo and Janis is consistently good. I love it.

I've been reading Baldo for like two years now and I really dislike it. There's one strip where the dad puts a sign on the front lawn that says something like "My daughter reads books and is smarter and better than your loving illiterate spawn" or something like that, I'm paraphrasing.

There was no joke or anything, it was just that.

I've decided that Baldo is the result of someone deciding that there needs to be more positive depictions of Hispanic people in the media, without the realization that there should also be good story telling, character development, jokes, etc.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (Dec. 22, 1984)

I'm amazed at how much better the artwork was back in '84. When did Jim Davis stop caring?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure someone called this ages ago. Also, what the hell is with those expressions in the last panel? Are they realizing that their own relationships are just as shallow?

Judging from the expressions in the second panel, each harpy was planing to swallow her hapless victim whole. They now grudgingly realize only through rock-paper-scissors will they determine who eats tonight and who goes hungry.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Am I wrong in remembering that Dilbert had a story line within the past year where our hero was bragging that he never needs to take a vacation- that vacations are only for losers who suck at their job?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

Today's Dogg

The rabbit in the bottom corner looked horrified. In this, we find our juvenile inspiration:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

As is standard police procedure, our hero took evidence from a crime scene and walked around with it in his pocket all day so he can wave it in the face of everyone he meets. Well done, detective.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Jesus Christ this is a boring storyline. They keep talking about things happening but nothing is happening.

WTF are you talking about? Over the past few weeks we've had:
-Old lady sunbathing
-Discussion of towel folding
-The temptation of tobacco
-Fine dining
-And now we're swinging into a theater story arc.
With this much plot jammed into such a short time most Mary Worth readers are having to go lay down for a spell. I can hardly think of another modern comic that keeps me on the edge of my seat like this.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

computer angel posted:

Is Esme going to trap this woman in a restroom? Is that what is seriously going on

In the next strip she is happy to discover a fresh pie in the middle of the floor, failing to notice the net suspended from the ceiling above....

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

Ditto here. There's some hopelessly complicated stuff about how the Korean word for "American" and the Korean word for "beautiful person" mean the same thing that can't be explained naturally in English.

No need to explain. Americans are truly God's most beautiful children.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Berke was getting artsy with that next-to-last panel -- it's a homage to Maxfield Parrish's Daybreak.

Well, learned a bit of culture today I did. I thought he was referencing one of his old collection covers from the 80's:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

In the black & white version of this that ran in my morning newspaper, Mike looks nude in that last panel. Combined with whatever it is he's holding there I had to stare at it a bit to convince myself I wasn't seeing what I thought.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The Evanses realized they made the criminal to interesting compared to Luann, so decided to do a quick distraction with the ole' tubby Tiffany. We will never see Tara or whatever her name was again.

Nah. Tara's been sneaking into Tiffany's dorm room at night and feeding her twinkies while she sleeps. Once a master criminal, always a master criminal.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

"Darthemed" posted:

Ripley's

If it stretches for thousands of miles, then it covers a good chunk of the continent and isn't just visible from one Canadian city.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 10-15, 1930)

By dumb chance, this bit about the old oven was in my local paper this morning, written by a lady who might be old enough to remember Out Our Way:
http://www.recorder.com/That-old-stove-13054011

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Why does this rear end in a top hat keep a garbage can in the middle of a big empty field behind his house?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

That middle panel- whose rib cage is Mark jumping over?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Edge of Lost Time

So wait -- judging by the historical events mentioned (Amelia Earhart disappearing, the battle of Marco Polo Bridge), Sam's earlier adventures happened in 1937. Now here we are in 1940 in the blink of an eye, and Sam already seems to be established in Chad French "Equitorial" Africa. Even for a strip that makes an art form of anticlimaxes, this is pretty special.

The art in this thing is so inconsistant I'm honestly not sure that is Sam.
And what are the chances the story we've been following for the last year is never mentioned again, no resolution, no meaning?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

I don't get it . How can she be ordering spicy food without transforming into a wild demon biker chick? Doesn't the artist understand the forbidden passions burning within the secret heart of the modern American housewife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

• Locked thread