Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

A Tommy Westphall map of the newspaper comic universe would be a delight

(I assume we're counting in-story stuff and not one-off gags like "every character from every relatively well-known comic strip comes in with everything for a HUGE party")
Technically, every fictional character is already connected to every other by definition of what League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is.

(The Dick Tracy team is clawing feebly at the prospect of making something even a tenth as good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

what
what is in the 'hot stuff' canister
Fire accelerant.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phantom's rarely good these days, but when it is, it sure delivers. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Castor Oyl is a breatharian.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori
For those who came in late, you should also know that the Phantom is a recurring Fingerpori character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

There's actually a deaf guy who comes around my local comic shop sometimes dressed as Hulk Hogan

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Wizard of Id

I'm seeing political commentary everywhere lately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda feel like Sim Jae-Duck has a Ripley's-worthy story to tell without building a house about it.

Do you think his mates call him toilet duck?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoa careful Jam Esallen, you keep patting yourself on the back like that you're liable to bruise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kid Fenris posted:

Remember when...Hoki got sent to an internment camp a few months after Pearl Harbor?
BORN ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's legitimately great for James Allen that he gets to do what he loves and doesn't let the naysayers get him down, but that doesn't make his comics not awful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

..That's the dumbest poo poo I've seen in newspaper comics. The author must have either been an ugly chick in high school, or a nerd who the pretty, popular girls wouldn't even look at.
It's a dad and daughter team, so it can be both.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's very troubling that I figured it out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Suddenly, the pool explodes!

BBBBRRRRAMBARRRRAMMMMMBBBBB

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Obligatory “average IQ is 100 by definition“.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I imagine the hurdles involve a lot of chatter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the not to subtle implication that Hobbes hid under the covers.

e: it just occurred to me that this might actually be something Calvin calls him out on, it's been a while since I read the arc.
e2: it is not, but strangely still feels like it could be.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 31, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

Who the gently caress still defends that?
"Someone who wrote two VIET NAM VETS into his legacy comic" seems like a very obvious answer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So did James Allen's editor crack down on his adventure leanings and we're in for a few months of "yes indeed I am very happy in my cabin, this is where I belong, LOOK HERE ARE SOME loving DEER I COULD BE DRAWING AN EXPLOSION RIGHT NOW BUT gently caress IT HERE'S BAMBI AND THUMPER" or what

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Gilchrist is stuck so far in the past that a 50 year old TV show can challenge his views and inspire him to think about the issues it portrays.

Actually that's not exactly a surprise, is it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

It also means that Gilchrist is just pulling stuff out of his rear end that's old if he doesn't personally wank off to it. Star Trek had a lot of radical ideas for it's time. Capitalism is long gone, personal choice is very important, men and women serve equally, and it was the first show to have an interracial kiss. It wasn't show in some parts of the south for that very reason. Uhura, a black woman, was on the bridge crew and would be acting captain. They had a Russian character on the bridge crew during the Cold War. Religion is mostly used to show backwards ideas or barbarism.
On the other hand Gilchrist may have actually a point there, because if the new Star Trek series has a Muslim character I will eat my hat raw (religion's place in Star Trek notwithstanding; they can make it work if they want to).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I'm getting this right that means Cumberbatch and Doyle had a common ancestor right around the time the Thirty Years' War broke out.

It's a nice icebreaker when you're chatting up a Sherlock fan but I think Lone Starr and Dark Helmet have a stronger claim to relation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Wasn't on my mind, but sure, why not :350:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Wasn't on my mind, but sure, why not :350:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

(ETA: Weirdly, Mordok999 is just nattering on about the rec-room TV. It's like once the strip is actually explicitly about sex he loses his interest.)
I think I know who he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ugjtN4yTs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You don't really live down stuff like Raine Dog or Loss. You can only do a good enough job in the future that the references become more of a good-natured ribbing than a constant reminder that the single most memorable moment of your artistic work was a laughing stock.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arlo likes chocolate cherries and is upset that Janis ate a box withouy saving any for him. Janis is aware of this and makes a deadpan joke about having a secret lover who brings her chocolate cherries, implying that Arlo would consider that less of a breach of trust than what she actually did.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Does the Head Beagle Saga just happen to be the next in line for reruns, or...?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

No one actually asked for this, but it seems kind of inappropriate to post old Dharmas at the moment, since the ending made everyone feel so warm and fuzzy. Thoughts?
Looks promising and I wouldn't mind seeing more!

Vargo posted:

Okay, this one is actually kinda great.
It is, but you'd think Mrs. Nelson would be well aware.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Today's Some Other Day's Dogg
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/lh6wKpV.png[/img]
Surprisingly accurate imagery.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

4. you needed 5 people and dinner to hash out "let's start it one Saturday a month"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dustin's artist deserves better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Yeah, not too many of us Spider-Men around.
Uh-huh.

http://spiderman.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Spider-Powered_Individuals

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Getting fatter and fatter every week until it turns out the Rose Is Rose guy has been writing Luann for months.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:stare:

Are the Evans locked in a tonedeafness contest with Batiuk cause drat even with the current DMV arc that's putting them some lengths ahead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mike drags down the thread a lot more than Monty improves it, and that's no dig at Monty.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 2, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

now that you mention it

Thanks for posting Monty and also Retail, and I was always glad to see them even when you did also post Mike (but please don't).

unrelated:
I keep coming back to this last panel and thinking, Phoebe has gathered a lot of my good will over the years and deserves better than immediate harsh putdowns when things don't go right one day, but things have not gone right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wizard of Id is pretty goddamn on point lately, especially for a legacy strip that until not very long ago inhabited the same general sphere as Hagar the Horrible or Broomhilda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been following Judge Parker for a while now, ever since Ces started writing it, and I have to say it: I still have no idea who any of these people are or why these revelations are significant.

Feel free to try and explain it but someone already did many pages ago and it went in one ear and out the other. I can appreciate that a fairly middling drama strip turned actually dramatic, but I'm still lost.

• Locked thread