Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks to the previous incarnation of this thread I'm now hate-reading Luann, Funky Cancercancer, and Rex Morgan MD, and I now have an affinity for 20s/30s/40s newspaper comics.

drat you, thread. Happy new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress 9 Chickweed Lane is about?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wallace the Brave is to me a more-than-suitable successor to the spot in comic strips that Calvin and Hobbes filled.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So... I just found a (supposedly) genuine 9CL fan. I saw their avatar (it's a board games website's forum) being the cat from the comic, and checking their profile they call it an amazing comic strip. So now I know that such people do exist.

Gotta be the author's sockpuppet. It just *has* to be.

e: Is that Thimble Theatre in the Hall of Fame post near the top of the thread an original or an edit? If it's an edit then it's incredibly tonally fitting, and funny as all hell.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 10, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hobnob posted:

Given the existence of Raine Dog, we should be relieved that the word "platonic" is included.
(I kid, I kid. PaHU is pretty great.)

I keep trying to forget about Raine Dog because of how Phoebe and Her Unicorn is actually legitimately good but augh people keep reminding me about it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

catlord posted:

Obviously this is a reference to something, but I have no idea and the only "Wally World" I can think of is from Vacation, and I... sorta doubt that's the reference that Gilchrist is making.

It's white trash for Walmart.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Every Funky strip just makes me wish more and more that he gets fatally shot in a mugging after being smug to the guy with the gun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

This is Miss Grundy from the old Archie newspaper comic.

This is Miss Grundy from the new CW show Riverdale. She had an affair with Archie and was run out of town.

Jesus, they gave Archie the JJ Abrams Star Trek treatment.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Yeah not a big fan of Toby's character design either. It's not so much the wild eyes for me. It's more that she's a bit too "generic," but I guess she kind of always has been, if you think about it. I don't think we've seen Ian yet? I kind of look forward to that.

I'm new to the comics thread relatively speaking, and new to Mary Worth, so for the entire arc up until now I thought Toby was Iris.

Great character design indeed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Turns out colour halftoning works infinitely better on paper than at full res on a monitor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't think I really... "get" Piranha Club. Is it old people doing young people things? Or is it just old people being weird? Or is it some kind of weird alternation between the two?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

drat, that's a fine Spike.

I did not ever expect to see a Cowboy Bebop reference in a strip posted in this thread. :stare:

Except maybe in some horrible insufferable way written lazily by Bill Amend, but thank god Ces is better than that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BigDave posted:

I think that was first written during the Two Cups saga.

...dare I ask what that was?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bud Grace is being an insufferable insensitive idiot with this latest "arc" and I wish he would quit cartooning entirely but god drat if it isn't hammering the point in that tourism to North Korea is about a bright an idea as having a loaded, cocked, safety-off handgun in the front of your pants wasteband pointed at your genitals, Pulp Fiction style.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

it would be extremely dope if we just never posted intelligent life again after this

I'd be fine with this.

We've got enough genuinely good strips and good hatereads these days that we can just drop the actually irredeemably bad poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

No, seriously, can we stop posting Intelligent Life now, guys? Or even bringing it up ever again?

It's that loving terrible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reddick just needs to quit.

I'm seriously hoping this is one of those cases where poo poo's getting overly spread out because he's trying to fill a contractual obligation before putting down the pen forever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is Edge of Adventure actually published in any newspapers or is it one of those cases of "webcomic that is so mind-numbingly bad it goes in this thread"?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't know if Zippy is bad or not. It's just bland to me.

I'm here for actually engaging hate reads, and a few strips that don't actively suck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I look forward to more of the Lynn Johnston is a Piece of poo poo Power Hour. :unsmigghh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

... did they take a Tiffany clip art and stretch it by 25%?

You expected more from Evans?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IronSaber posted:

Do I dare click on that video?

I haven't, but I'm going to go out on a limb say no.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Oh come the gently caress on

I hate this fuckin sad excuse for a comic enough already Reddick you hack fraud now you gotta continuously legitimize Holbrook? gently caress offfffffffffffff

fakeedit: 9CL is preferable to this middle-aged webcomics j/o because at least Brooke's artwork can be funny as poo poo in how odd it is

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

"Roaming jocks see nerds at the store and go HURRRR NERRRRRDS" - what a grown rear end man thinks the world is like.

"Durrr jocks go out of their way to make fun of nerds and THEY DRINK BEER"

I'm not sure who's the worst. Gilchrist, Holbrook, or Reddick.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't know what's a worse strip at this point. Intelligent Life or On The Fastrack.

Holbrook's worst offences are a result of him being straight up stuck in 1995, technologically, socially, and politically. Intelligent Life is terrible in premise, horribly written, abhorrently drawn, the execution makes it the Big Bang Theory of comic strips.

Let's just stop posting both.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Selachian posted:

This one is just begging for the Minus Garfield treatment.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LvK posted:

so, ahh, this came up on my Twitter feed and I thought of this thread (I fell behind two years ago and just haven't been in them ever since, whoops)

Y'know our "pal" Guy Gilchrist? He's, uh... he's been up to some stuff, and he sounds like a real piece of poo poo, alright!

https://twitter.com/MuppetFeminist/status/931591227660783616

:stare:

Get turbofucked, Gilchrist, you hypocritical piece of poo poo. It's love thy neighbour, not rape thy neighbour.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Nah, he stuck his legs out of the bottom of that trash can just in frame and ducked in the trash itself and walked back in.

Ah, the Pepsiman approach.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Greg Evans can't seem to decide how fat he wants Tiff to be even between goddamn panels. Come on, Greg. You're ostensibly a professional cartoonist. Get your poo poo together.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:psyduck: The last strip had him as a substitute teacher, is that not a job in the Dustinverse?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

It tends to rotate its grossness focus, so sometimes it's just racist and gross instead of misogynistic and gross. But it's always gross.

I'd love to see like, an academic analysis of Piranha Club. Something trying to figure out exactly what the gently caress it *is*.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why is his phone so small?

I think he's just got sausage fingers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can't not hear Wilbur's voice in my head as Cyril Figgis.

He even kinda looks the same.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

If this Mary Worth ends up with Iris getting back together with Wilbur, I will handwrite an angry letter and mail it to the cartoonists.

I want to believe that the author isn't going to push some incel-grade "stalk your true love and outwit Chad to gain her eternal affection" poo poo because holy gently caress, but at the same time this is a newspaper comic so there's a one in fifty chance of the people involved in creating it not being poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

The best outcome here would be for Wilbur to realize he hosed up, take a look at himself and what he's doing, and start making some changes to better himself, then find someone new.

So, basically, I should start getting that letter ready.

I'm just imagining the people behind Mary Worth opening a stack of letters.

"What the gently caress is Something Awful?"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bloom County is all kinds of cool and good. Please keep posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The full collection of Bloom County that's being posted is great because some of the original individual books had a lot of editing hackjobs done to them (including the 1985 collection excising most of the Banana Junior strips, which are a wonderful look back into 1980s computing).

• Locked thread