Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hi new thread.

I'm the one who posts Rhymes with Orange, which continues to prove that dad jokes know no gender.

And Pros and Cons, a well-regarded strip about lawyers, psychologists, waitresses, and cops.

I also post Edge of Adventure and Buni, but those won't be around till tomorrow at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt used to be a boxer, but now he's a reporter, see? And sometimes he's a sports reporter and sometimes he just reports on general stuff. I don't know, I liked it better when he was a boxer, but I guess this strip is still good. The Sunday plot involves a pair of con artists with ridiculous fake French accents that they seem disinclined to pull out today. They conned Ben into smuggling the Mona Lisa into America, I guess. I don't know. This storyline kind of lost me early on.

I was holding off comment, but apparently Murphy is yet another writer who thinks the Mona Lisa is painted on canvas (it's actually painted on a wooden panel).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Note how Fritzi's winter coat somehow clings to her boobs like it was painted on.

Buni won't be back until next week, so here's Rhymes with Orange.

Pros and Cons

And Edge of Adventure, which really wants to be a throwback to the great adventure strips of yesteryear, but is undermined by muddled storytelling that manages to kill any hint of drama, crappy (and often traced) art, and above all a glacial weekly pace. For instance, our hero has just arrived in Vancouver's Chinatown, been shot at, and heard that he's supposed to be delivering a golden dragon that will somehow give China the advantage in their war with Japan -- but Allen and Vorderbrug take a week to draw various Chinese cliches so we know we're really in Chinatown. Don't you just feel the sense of place?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons is actually kind of clever, except going back to school on January 2nd does not make for a long Christmas break.

Well, my brother's kids in rural Virginia had a two-week Christmas break (Dec 17-Jan 1). I'm not sure how parents retain their sanity down there.

Also: I was slightly amused by "My Dear Watson Elementary."

Rhymes with Orange

Looks much like her earlier piece, "Lower Right Corner of the Back Door."

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

Hey, I remember when this was being posted in the thread. When did that stop? Less than a year ago, right? And when we left off I think these two moved out. Kevin and Kell actually moves at a decent clip, or am I just misremembering how long its been? I'd laugh if the K&K guy has a better grasp on storytelling than Brooke McEldowney.

Holbrook could totally give lessons to McEldowney (and a lot of other creators in this thread) in how to keep a plot moving and knowing when to wrap things up. Of course, it's easier for him because all his strips have huge and ever-growing casts so he's not stuck coming up with plots for the same two or three people over and over.

And if you think a porcupine and a bat breeding is weird, K&K also features a wolf who's having trans-species surgery to become a ram. (To be fair, the characters are totally cool with it and happy for him, but still, comparing transgender to an animal actually changing species is bizarre.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters. The Great Am was originally a Little Orphan Annie character, a mysterious immortal being who may or may not be God. The Spirit is from his own comic.

There have also been crossovers and references to The Phantom, Alley Oop and On The FastRack and WWE, which also means that Dick Tracy takes place in the same world as Safe Havens and Mary Worth. And I can pretty much guarantee that I'm missing some stuff here, because Staton and Curtis do not miss a chance for a reference.

A couple strips ago, the redheaded pilot kid was from Terry and the Pirates. So you can tie that in too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Hot sauce. TJ just forgot it in there after making their sex dungeon.

:nws: http://oglaf.com/heats/ :nws:

(Yes, it's Oglaf, of course it's NSFW.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Ella Cinders

Blackie's thrift!

"As welcome as a kleagle in a synagogue" is not a simile one sees a lot of these days.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is on Day 3 of this stupid gag.

Note that of course the man plays the tank and the woman plays the healer.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

P'Gell gives me a chance to post one of Eisner's most famous covers:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, if Intelligent Life was really set in RI, wouldn't Barry have his lips permanently affixed to Tom Brady's rear end instead of being a Colts/Peyton fanboy?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Really Pants posted:

how many evil brothers does Mandrake have

And if Luciphor is called "Cobra," what is Derek called?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Not "I'm Enery the Eighth, I Am"?

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni is finally back!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Yay! It's the return of Don't-Give-a-poo poo CSI Guy!

Edge of Award Ceremonies

Has Sam even left the bar at any point since the shooting?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm less interested in Lester's lame and lazy game of "wacky definitions" than I am the quote on the newspaper. Do you think he even knows who Franz Fanon is? (Certainly not enough to spell his name properly, but...)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

He also periodically comes back as a vengeful ghost in the book, so there's no reason he couldn't gently caress some dudes up in the 1430s. Other than a lack of motivation, I guess.

The extension at least allows you to automatically upload a cropped area but, yeah, the only other way seems to be digging through the source code for the assetts.amuniversal.com link. Gross.

If you're using a Mac, command-shift-4 lets you draw a box with your mouse and then automatically screenshots the area you defined and drops it on your desktop. It's what I used for Edge of Adventure this morning.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tumblr of scotch posted:

God help me for defending Mike Wifebeater, but he actually is spelling Fanon's name right. http://www.iep.utm.edu/fanon/

sigh. Well, that'll teach me to get pedantic without double-checking first.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

So I looked into it, and the "new" writer (since December 2015) is named Mason Mastroianni, and he's the grandson of Wizard of Id's co-creator Johnny Hart. He's also been the artist on Wizard of Id since Hart's death in 2007. He and his brother Mick have another "Todayz Dawg"-type strip called Dogs of C-Kennel, which I will subject you to now and never again because it loving sucks:

Mason has also been writing and drawing B.C. since Hart kicked off, and his output there has been rather uneven. Maybe he just finds it easier to create gags for Wizard of Id, I dunno.

Buni

:3:

Rhymes with Orange

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nice Magritte reference.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Because all gay men have innate wedding dress design skills.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Chargers are moving to Los Angeles this year. They've been in flux for awhile now because the dirtbag billionaire owner has been trying to extort the city of San Diego into buying a stadium for him. The situation has been going on for awhile now, so it was real bad judgment on the part of the writer to pick that particular team out of thirty-two for this plot point.

Well, to be fair to Armstrong, he's had Marcus (the character in the strip who facilitated the job offer) playing for the Chargers for several years now, so it's more bad luck than bad judgment on his part.

(also, as a long time Jump Start reader, can I say I'm really sick of Ray Ramsey at this point? It feels like Armstrong is bored with his usual cast so he's putting everything into this new character.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Elvis Day, everyone!

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Sullenness

Two-fisted not-waving action!

(also, look at that Marty Feldman poo poo in the third panel.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 16, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Dude could easily have mentioned MLK somewhere in there and it would have been less cringeworthy. Or at least not mention Elvis by name.... :psyduck: GILCHY??:????

I mean, I get tired of everyone quoting the same two or three lines from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech because you *know* that they've never read anything else of his. (The one about "not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character" gets trotted out on the reg by conservative political cartoonists.) But using Elvis, really?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Phimosissy posted:

What is happening? Is that a walrus or something? I can't parse what's behind the fence at all.

It's a pool with a walrus in the corner, raised up with its flippers on the ground.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oh gently caress off Gilchrist.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Looks like Hilary has been watching My Little Pony reruns.

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of the Love Boat

I wonder if Sam's interest in the cocktail lounge is meant to be a sparkling witticism, or a cry for help given that all he did in Vancouver was get shot at and get plastered.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

See, Rhodes does win a case occasionally!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Huh, I thought Scots were all about deep-fried whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Uh oh! They're going to start hugging!

Matching tattoos.

• Locked thread