Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

You and me both. I still remember getting excited at finding a collection at the library, because Watterson talks it up so much in the Calvines and Hobbes anthologies, but every time I try to read it...I just don't understand it at all.

Ignatz hates Krazy and demonstrates it by throwing bricks at his/her head. (Krazy's gender flips back and forth over the course of the strip.) Krazy, being, well, krazy, loves Ignatz and takes the brick-throwing as a sign of affection. Meanwhile, Offissa Pupp loves Krazy and tries to protect him/her by warning Ignatz off or putting him in jail. That's it, really -- everything else in the strip is variations on that basic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

As an old D&D player I am offended by Willie's inability to tell the difference between a ballista (which was basically a giant crossbow) and a catapult.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Clearly Calvin lives somewhere in the neighborhood.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Edge of CSI

New Pros and Cons isn't up yet!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I was thinking, "That's King Tut!" the moment I saw the strip.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Huh. Is this the first mention of spinach as the source of Popeye's superpowers?

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not clear on it either. I know GBS was pretty famous for his refusals (he had mass produced post-cards telling people he wasn't going to send them an autograph) and was generally pretty controlling about his work. Like he only granted permission for Pygmalion to be adapted into My Fair Lady because he liked the producer. And, uh.... I can't detect anything that might be a joke in anyone's dress, or the scenery, I don't recognize anyone as a caricature of anyone... maybe it's that they're pretty far into a production of a GBS play and then he denied them the right to do it? Is that funny?

I think part of it is that the group looks fairly middle-aged and middle-class in dress, which to me suggests they're a small amateur theatrical group instead of professional actors. So the gag would be that GBS actually cares what some bunch of amateurs out in the wilds of Connecticut or wherever do with his play (and that the amateurs take their production so seriously that they felt they had to bother the playwright for permission in the first place).

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Why did Alan's wife split with him over April putting a bunch of old people to work in a sweatshop?

It was Neddy who set up the Old People Sweatshop. April is the spy.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of I Hate These Guys

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I mean like dude's got the number one teaching degree and gets along well with children plus he's subbed many many times just make him a teacher already

Ha ha! Get a load of this guy who thinks "teacher" is something like a real job!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Flash Gordon

I think naming the guy who dies to show that the threat is serious "Lieutenant Gonner" is a bit on the nose.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can never figure out what sort of dialect Gilchrist is trying to write the cat's dialogue in -- AAVE? Brooklynese? Irish English? -- but this one sounds like Jar Jar Binks.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

The reason is "I'm a stupid idiot who did my shopping the day of and this is a thing they had at the mall that was made of paper." I guess other options would be a calendar? A box set of the Lord of the Rings novels? A framed poster of a football person? Hilarious novelty toilet paper?

Pictured: My wife's first anniversary gift to me. Does she know me or what?

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

Wizard of Id

Why yes, this strip DID stir up quite a bit of commenter rage at Gocomics.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Mistaken Identity

Hands up everyone who initially thought that was Sam in the second panel, thanks to Allen's inability to draw his hero's face consistently.

Also, apparently this is one of those cool loose cannon Nazis who plays by his own rules!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

You know, sometimes I read this thread and for one reason or another don't want to put too much effort into it and I'll skim or skip some of the more wordy comics. Unfortunately, because of this, at some point I completely lost the thread on Skippy. What is going on there?

There's a gang called the Jacketeers, led by a tough kid named Spumone, who are trying to take over Skippy's street, and Skippy is putting together his own group, the Revolkalutionists, to fight them. It's gone on that way for quite a while and is starting to drag, frankly.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (May 21, 2006)

Buni

Sninja!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Are they really in a newspaper or does he just publish them on comics kingdom or whatever it is?

On the Fastrack has been in the Washington Post forever, and I think Safe Havens is syndicated too.

And gently caress the hell off, Gilchrist.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The humans animal mom was a human who got there by accident and her...um, wait, she was a bunny married to a bear right? But was on a couch with a lion? I don't know. None of it is logical.

Different rabbit.

Anyway, here's a catch up of my comics, except for Buni, which is apparently on vacation.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

gently caress off, Gilchrist Meehan.

Edge of What's My Motivation

This is indeed a fascinating backstory for someone whose name we don't even know yet.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kennel posted:

Huh, the Safe Havens Mars thing is actually happening? When did this storyline even begin?

I don't recall exactly, but planning for the Mars trip has been going on for years.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Since it looks like this thread is continuing:

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Stereoscopic Vision

And as a special New Year's treat for Edge fans, all two of you, I present this art piece I call Dr. Sam Cooper: Man of a Thousand Faces or possibly Portrait of a Hero:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Did... this just end?

Seriously, the only way Holbrook is ever going to end a comic is when he drops dead at his drawing table.

• Locked thread