Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Obama noooooooooooo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Planning to eat out of a trashcan, but totally not a raccoon!

*Metallic food locker :eng101:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

And then they can combine their power to reach 200%!

I can see how this storyline is going to end. Mandrake does something or another that eventually leads to the evil brothers turning against one another, saving the day.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Vargo posted:

Wizard of Id has a pretty good immigration policy, tbh.

Where does the castle gate slide into when it's raised? That doesn't seem like there's enough space above it for the gate to move up.

This comic strip isn't very realistic.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

That's no letter!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm going to indulge in a little experiment here: I'm going to find out with the rest of you if Garfield was "ever good." My memory says that it was. I'm going to run the strips from the same dates as A&J Classic, but ten years previous: Garfield's popularity was blowing up at that point in history, so in theory, this ought to have been when it was good, right?

The downside of this is that we're starting towards the end of an ultimately Christmas-themed storyline in which Garfield gets lost and has to find his way home. Hopefully the jokes will resume soon.

Garfield Classic (Dec. 21, 1984)

As we all remember, Garfield didn't make it.

From this night onward, Jon Q. Arbuckle was forever doomed to live in purgatory, forever believing he was talking to his long-dead tabby cat.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Lasagna Cat has updated, and…

Wow.

Twelve new strips/videos, a FOUR HOUR collection of their sexual partners survey, and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

This is just insane.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://shampoofantasy.com/

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

It would be a good time to remind the audience that this guy is getting the powder-boarding treatment because he wanted to put the Phantom on a stamp.

I love this strip so drat much. :allears:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

As glorious as that third panel is, the fact that the Phantom is punctuating his blood-curdling warning with a straight period knocks a bit of the edge off of it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

M*A*S*H started going downhill after the sixth or seventh season. You could probably compress the last five seasons into one really good one.

I think the decline of MASH's quality is a bit relative, though. There were a lot of really, really good episodes after that despite it not able to keep it up consistently. The finale was one of the most-watched TV broadcasts ever too, so people weren't losing interest.

Now if you want to talk about a TV series falling off a cliff, we can talk ad infinitum about Dexter.

Speaking of Dexter, have a Dexter comic strip I randomly found on the internet.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

:crossarms:

Careful, now.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Hey guys, a little help here? I'm having trouble finding the hidden eyeball and stick of dynamite.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Can we bring back some Dustin's Supportive Father edits? I miss those.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Love. This. Strip.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

It's comics, so that's the default position. Actually being real would qualify as a major twist.

They could do it, and it would be neat - they're not exactly losing masses of great characterisation work done on Kit Walker, after all - but it's still not likely.

You say that, and we think that, but the fact is that there must eventually come a point where The Phantom actually has to die, and a new Phantom comes up to replace him. That's how The Phantom works.

Then again, that's what makes the strip intriguing. We know it has to happen eventually, and anytime it comes up it could just detour into a close call. Which is what will make it all the more shocking when it does happen, even though we knew it had to at some point.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

That's only in fiction, though. Kit Walker has been the 21st Phantom for more than 80 years and much as we might wish otherwise there's nothing to stop him being the 21st Phantom for 80 more.

It's very hard for a passing-the-torch idea - or any kind of permanent changes - to survive in a long-running serial unless you start making them early on. Newspaper comics in particular; the longer you maintain the status quo, the bigger the reboot you need to change it.

Right, but the strip is setting things up for that big reboot to happen, should the trigger ever get pulled. Just having Kit Jr. going off to start his education and training is setting the foundation. You'd never kill off the current Phantom with no one ready to pick up the mantle, but now that the boy is doing his off-camera training, we're just a montage away from a strip reboot, a flash-forward, and the continuing adventures of the 22nd Phantom.

Again, it's easy to think that it's not going to happen. But it's a lot closer to happening than it ever has been. Even if that means it won't happen for another 10 years, it's still closer to happening!!!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

spidey.mov

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3yvxckQbA

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Aardmania posted:

I guess we'll be seeing some more changes in the Phantom strip, because Tony DePaul has resigned over an issue with movie rights and the characters he created.

http://www.tonydepaul.net/thats-it-for-me-and-the-phantom/

It's a pretty interesting read, because he wasn't under contract and King Features might have included his characters then they sold the movie rights without checking if they actually owned them.

You can't sell the rights to a character that dies in his comic strip. *points finger to forehead*

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

drat, that's a fine Spike.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix keeps on keepin' on.

I want to see this gag keep going for several more days, a week or two even. Run it so far into the ground that it emerges in China and it becomes greater than the original gag.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

That's an unusually high(ish)-detailed look at Kit's face.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CommaToes posted:

yep, we're all gonna die.

Or maybe he is. :ghost:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

1) Cheryl makes new tire sculpture to amuse passing motorists
2) Passing motorists see tire sculpture and are amused but also distracted
3) Passing motorists are killed when they are hit by another motorist passing in the opposite direction
4) Cheryl scavenges tires from wreck
5) One week later, Cheryl makes new tire sculpture to amuse passing motorists

We're on to your evil scheme, Cheryl.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Turns out when you kill the Phantom you have to take on the job.

"You put on the suit, you're the big guy."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Vargo posted:

What the hell is gonna happen when James Caan actually dies?

The Ghost of James Caan, and The Ghost of The Ghost of James Caan

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

One-panel Nancy is a million times better than Gilchrist Nancy

How about five-panel Nancy, aka Five Card Nancy?

http://scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/nancy/index.html

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

A webcomic about Garfield, which is an alternative origin story to Garfield Minus Garfield.

https://littlelifelines.com/comics/garfreed

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

goatface posted:

Tracy wants him to run so he can shoot him in the back.

#BlackJackLivesMatter

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I believe the joke was that he needed it for his big, floppy nose.

I know. I had to search for it, too.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Quoting from a few pages back because I remember, and I refuse to let the thread forget.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1978/the-roxy-west-hollywood-ca-7bd7aecc.html

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu8VBPtfGX1AakOly9ojzR_sJ065hu0VO

Yeah, I'd buy tickets for my kid, too.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Which one is Bernard and which is Janice

The one with the glasses.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Mea Culpa posted:

Random Acts of Nancy

Nancy is a domestic terrorist. Right.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Phantom looks pretty upset about this. "Bitch, this was my time! I was supposed to die! You done hosed this up!!"

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

I like weird a lot. Here's a king of weird: who remembers THE BUS?

Post The Bus. We demand it. The Bus demands it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

• Locked thread