Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Ticket holders don't give a poo poo when people buy their ticket. People buy their tickets early all the time. But we just have to be reminded of how cultured he is by his love of Casablanca. You're no Fingal from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Shouldn't he have known this before marrying her? Even if they were still dating, I think the fact that she has a company would come up.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Wasn't Ted the one who was like, "Mid-life crisis eh? Boring life eh? You should cheat on your wife, John. I do!" If so then good on the wife for leaving that POS.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

She is really tired of her idiot children.

quote:

Foob

And if she had been sleeping with other men who "didn't mean anything "? Scumbag.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Really Pants posted:

STROM THURMOND was a PIECE OF poo poo!

People like Ted Cruz can only wish to be as lovely as Strom. But God knows they try their hardest.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

TJ is being massively creepy with his "You guys are married now, so I know what you do with each other. Let me remind you at every turn" bit. Not only does he probably have cameras in the room but he will probably press his ear against the wall every time they're alone in there.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Geez, Mary's giving Iris the third degree here.

Did he really put in a quote by Rob Schneider or is this an edit?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Aren't they related? Or am I thinking of the couple from Funky Winkerbean?

Tiggum posted:

It's an edit. The original is '"Love is when two people who care for each other get confused." - Bob Schneider'. I have no idea what that means though.

I've never been so relieved about something being an edit.

bean_shadow fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 9, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Simpson's did it first.

quote:

Ripley's

In 2000 George W. Bush did as well! :D

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is dated.

I hope she hates all the stuff her father will make her watch. AND she tells it to his face.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Do we know Mike's job? Maybe he lives with his mom because he can't afford to live on his own.

bean_shadow fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 11, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Somebody with skills please edit this to make it into a glory hole!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze fails to make a joke in order to make a Monty Python reference very few people would get.

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey's Circus is closing after 146 years. Poor ticket sales and controversy about how animals are treated.

Shugojin posted:

Also it might be over thinking it but that one lion from the back is giving me major Cowardly Lion vibes

It's also the hair.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Out of all of the characters of this lovely comic I hate this guy the most.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

How long do you think he'll drag this out until the inevitable "Never mind, I'm just going to stay with my mom" reveal?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

Another day at least. The "shocking" reveal can come Saturday. Or maybe another week.

"You know, Mike, actually I think it would be better if you stayed with your mom. Paying rent will cut into your action figure allowance." "You're right Skip! You're so wise!"

quote:

Family Circus

"No, because I hate you most of all."

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

He's in Antarctica!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkerOhGodIsItGoingToBeAnotherFlashbackWeek

Not only that but Crankshaft is making a guest appearance.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

EasyEW posted:

The most amusing part of these Crankshaft crossovers is how the FW characters very pointedly never refer to him by name even though everybody in the main cast has had extensive interactions with him. But they either can't say the name or don't remember it. Y'know, the way self-involved assholes do.

Or maybe they're afraid of a Bloody Mary situation, and saying "Ed Crankshaft" out loud is all it'll take for him to rise out of his retirement home bed to give them cancer. Or at least an ulcer.

Hail to the Bus Driver. Bus Driver Man.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Mike is a grown man that must be reminded to brush his teeth. Sever the relationship, Skip. It's not worth it.

On an unrelated note, could someone help with the timeline of Funky Winkerbean and Crankshaft? They take place in the same universe but Crankshaft takes place today while FW takes place ten years from now? Do I have that right? Or does Crankshaft take place ten years ago while FW takes place today? It's just all so stupid.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing about when Gilchrist puts old comic characters in his strip is that it's just nostalgia bait. All he's doing is saying "hey, remember this?" and that's it. It's just lovely "reference humor" in that the :airquote:joke is just the reference and that's it.

Like the entire book Ready Player One, except with 1980s nostalgia.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Vargo posted:

Curtis jesus christ Curtis why do you even go out of your way to talk to this girl do you actually like her you talk about how lovely she is all the time what the hell

"She hates me and is a massively lovely person. I love her!" Maybe he thinks he can change her if only she'd give him a chance?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think she's a Transpondster.

e: maybe Chief/Head Transpondster.

Importer / Exporter for Vandalay Industries.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Yes, Michelle is supposed to be the egotistical one. They deserve each other.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is starting with the pickleball crap again.

Why do any of them socialize with Rita outside of work? She's practically a sociopath with vary little to no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Maybe she makes people hang out with her because if they don't they will be mysteriously "laid off".

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Color me surprised that he took it this far and actually moved. Still don't think it will last. My hope is a murder-suicide by Skip but I'm not that lucky.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Airports close? I've been to airports where there were barely anybody there and not even the check-in counter was open but I was still able to enter the building.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Says the guy who just bought a Roomba so nobody has to vacuum. It's OK when a Baby Boomer does it.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

St. Bernice? Second only to the Most Holy Luann? Be punished? Never gonna happen. At best Tiffany the Whore will escape punishment, but that's about it.

And the fact that she escapes punishment will be yet another reason we're supposed to hate Tiffany.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It didn't end with VHS either.

That was the episode being shown during the Max Headroom Hacking Incident.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

I bet she's one of those parents who never let her kids watch The Simpsons either. That Bart is too disrespectful towards his parents!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

16th cousins?! Wow, they were practically brothers!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (February, 1916)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

(ETA: Weirdly, Mordok999 is just nattering on about the rec-room TV. It's like once the strip is actually explicitly about sex he loses his interest.)

He probably has no interest in stuff that he can't relate to.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

I like the Calvin & Hobbes where he gets the beanie with the little propeller on top, after waiting weeks and imagining himself flying through the air. Of course he's extremely mad and disappointed when it doesn't make him fly but it turns out OK because he and Hobbes play with the box.

I guess the closest thing I have to that disappointment was when I ordered Sea Monkeys and finally got them. They're just brine shrimp. Boring. No, I didn't think they would wear clothes and read the paper in the water, but I figured they would be better than brine shrimp.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

At this point I think the DMV guy is just loving with Funky. I like it.

"Now you will need a blood test, did I mention that before?"

Just to make it even worse for Funky, if I were the guy I'd take away Funky's expired license and tell him that he needs someone to pick him up because legally he's not supposed to be driving.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The one thing that I actually like about Retail and find moderately insightful is that the main cast only sticks around because they're effectively trapped in the job.

If they hate their jobs so much, they should just quit! :smuggo:

Endless Mike posted:

Wow, Luann totally just went from "WELP LES BOUGHT US ALL DINNER HURRAY!!" to "HEY LES IS COMING OVER FOR DINNER" with nothing in between.

Les Who's Coming to Dinner

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

It's like he's talking directly to Spiderman.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Jesus what a terrible family. I have a feeling the mother doesn't defend Dustin when her husband is putting him down, though.

"What? You let dad insult him all the time!"

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

The "everyone else is more mature than you" conversation. I've had many friends give me those conversations. Never stops hurting.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Shugojin posted:

So why is the little neighbor kid out? Is this a school holiday, or did he fake sickness too, or what?

If Dustin was really sick, the Boomer Dad figures, he should be inside in bed or on the couch. He wouldn't be completely better by 5 PM or whenever Boomer Dad gets home from work.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

There are a lot of comics I really dislike, but I reserve a special hate for Dustin. I had a lot of difficulty finding a job after graduating college, and it was a very stressful and depressing situation. If my Dad had treated me with the contempt that Ed Kudlick shows his son I probably would have killed myself. It seriously makes me angry thinking about what a terrible father he is.

Dustin probably already feels like poo poo about not being able to find a permanent job and being able to move out. Boomer Dad doesn't need to pour acid on the wound any further, which is something Bitch Sister also does. Yeah, he's a real piece of poo poo who expects everybody to feel sorry for him when he can't put down the food to lose weight but has no sympathy for anybody else.

Does anybody know what Dustin has a college degree for, if any?

How do those GNC stores stay open? They always seem to be the last store standing before malls are bulldozed.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Still prematurely reeling for the upcoming Chuck Berry tribute he'll puke out.

He probably got a huge erection when he heard Chuck died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Did he just retrace a still of Heath Ledger as Casanova?

• Locked thread