Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Monaghan posted:

This thread really hated IBO, but other reactions around the net seem to be more positive.

I do know that the gunpla sales for IBO really picked up in North America.

The gently caress? IBO is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

I absolutely hated it, a boring plot peppered with a third graders attempt at social commentary.

Unicorn was more fun than that.

Unicorn was perfectly watchable, but the whole bit about using the psychic energy of everyone on earth was a bit much. But so was the betrothal to a little girl and the dude with the harem. Ick.

Admittedly I've only seen IBO and Unicorn, does every Gundam series involve the pilot somehow being gifted their Gundam by luck or destiny like it's loving Excalibur?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say IBO is pretty low on the Excalibur scale, honestly, at least as far as Mika's concerned.

He's the most effective pilot in a PMC that owns a Gundam, so in a desperate situation his CO has him pilot the Gundam. Since they keep getting into more desperate situations, he keeps piloting the Gundam. And since he's a disturbingly effective attack dog, people start ascribing more to him, like people tend to whenever something mundane fucks everyone's poo poo up.

In other words, he's not good at killing people because he's got some deep purpose and destiny. People start thinking of him like he's got a destiny because they need to ascribe meaning to the protectors of world peace and holders of divine right having the gently caress killed out of them by an emotionally disturbed, illiterate child soldier.

This is a really good point. I initially saw it as just "lol he found it in the basement waiting for him" but your take makes a lot more sense.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Argus Zant posted:

OH. Right. This skeevy-rear end subplot.

What the gently caress is it even doing in this series? It doesn’t advance the story in any way.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

It's creepy as gently caress, but it's meant to be creepy as gently caress, and serves the function of cementing how, despite being shown to be three steps ahead throughout the first season, McGillis has something seriously hosed up going on with how he views the world.

Later developments really put emphasis on how McGillis, due to having the most horrific childhood on the show, (a pretty competitive title he still wins handily) never really grew up.

His grand plan comes from a children's storybook, he doesn't understand why someone would refuse to side with him just for trying to murder his kid, he gets along better with Tekkadan's social difficulties than with his peers, even the ones who, prior to his betrayal, would have gladly given their lives for him. And he doesn't understand why a relationship with Almiria is so loving wrong.

It ties into a lot of the show's themes, and it's meant to creep you out, but yeah. It's not a show I'd recommend to everyone.

Thanks, this helps a bit.

• Locked thread