Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

2:00 - Naruto Shippuden
loving END ALREADY

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Unfortunately he's got a demon locked up inside him and it seems like a bunch of evil guys want to capture it (and use it for nefarious purposes). Here's where the recap ends because Shippuden starts after a timeskip and Naruto (the original) is like 400 episodes long and I'm not reading the entire Naruto wiki to write a synopsis. Because god knows Shippuden sure doesn't waste any time explaining who old characters are, it just launches right ahead...

After Bleach's death (god it feels like so long ago) finally died off, Naruto took the title belt of "slowest moving program on the block" which is frankly remarkable since Naruto is just goddamn glacial (seriously how do you hit a filler arc only 2 arcs in to your story jfc).

In Good News About Bad Boring Anime/Manga: Tite Kubo's bosses finally killed Bleach the Manga execution-style last year, forcing him to end the series in the most rushed and passive-aggressively pissed manner possible. Sadly, the shipper meltdown was nowhere near as amusing as the Naruto one, due to not even hardcore Bleach fans giving a poo poo anymore. Speaking of which, Naruto may be dead, but his dumbass spoiled brat Burrito (and his best friend Salad) was given his own monthly manga. Which continues the fine Naruto tradition of "copy Dragonball, only really badly" by retelling a movie in episodic format for its first arc.

As for Naruto on Toonami... uh... well, a filler arc happened that accomplished literally nothing for any involved party, Tobi was introduced and subsequently ruined by making him a crazy magic eye man, Sasuke finally murdered his brother and will surely Not Do Anything Evil Again Ever, and an unhinged fangirl told Sasuke she's coming.

Yup.

EDIT: Oh, and Sasuke can become Butterfly Aizen now because he ate Doctor Snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Last time I swear. Never forget the greatest Naruto episode:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

Videl = Devil

Daughter of Mr Satan.

Some of the most goodhearted people on the planet. Funny how that works out.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Toriyama, trends are showing that high school dramas are picking up in popularity. Make your next arc set in a high school."

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

it's nice that bulma actually becomes more competent and awesome as time goes on though

That isn't a high bar for her to clear. She started as "ditzy rich genius teen girl wanting to find magical wish granting artifacts to find a boyfriend" for christ's sakes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gohan: Very smart at tests, very bad at knowing when to be tactful. He inherited the wrong smarts from his mother.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm willing to forgive all of the Buu arc's existence because Gohan's High School Shenanigans here at the beginning is that worth it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I just figure they enjoy their privacy

Yeah, in addition to all the other stuff, Satan actually performs a useful service to the Z Fighters in taking all the credit. They just want to live and train quietly when the world isn't in mortal peril, and the paparazzi would kind of make that hard.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well, bullets are supposed to deform... but not like that.

:goonsay:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
straitzo... is actually dumb

*SHOCKING TWIST*

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I always liked how this arc feels really indiana jones starting out

Well, this arc basically is one big Indiana Jones plot, when you get down to it.

It's just the Nazis aren't the only bad guys.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In 2016, we endured Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

In 2017, we face... WING.

EDIT: Unicorn, whatever, I can't stand anything that isn't G Gundam right now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I always changed channel when Gundam came up as a kid.

I remain unconvinced that was the wrong choice.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Argus Zant posted:

you think they ever would/will change the calendar like this? I can't imagine what the zero hour would be

It's generally a retroactive thing, once the book burnings and reeducations are mostly done.

Year 0 In the Year of our Trump was the moment humanity reawakened to its destiny and freed itself of the shackles of democracy...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

The Universal Century is the "main" timeline of the Gundam series, established way back in 1979 with the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's been going strong since then and has honestly gotten a bit bloated with continuity, which is why a lot of recent series are either in the far future or standalone universe.

So it's the anime equivalent of Star Wars, got it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Funky Valentine posted:

Principality of Zeon = Space Nazis

Complete with writers who unironically write stories with them as the heroes, from what I've gathered.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

WE JUST SPENT AN EPISODE GOING OVER THIS poo poo

I didn't mind it specifically this week, after two weeks it helped to have a slow episode to reorient myself.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

I like how they start the episode explaining how there's 4 techniques but then they keep going "oh yeah here's this other bullshit technique but no it's totally still the 4 exercises"

I'm going to guess this series starts really stretching the boundaries of these "rules" with nen powers as it goes on, doesn't it?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
OH GOOD, it's time for Naruto to out-Bleach Bleach and tell Itachi's life story post-mortem over SEVERAL episodes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"The real nightmare is waiting for you... in the New World!" Sounds like one of those things villains say that oversells the threat, huh?

He ain't lying. Moria is nothing.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think I saw the SAO game in the big stupid anime AGDQ raffle prize pack

EDIT: and so many nerds donated 125 bux all at once the donation tracker crashed after it went up 70000

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 14, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

Time for more Dragon Ball

Turns out Toriyama was pretty decent at supernatural high school comedy.

Shame he had to go right back to the punch-cha-mans stuff so soon.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, this is when she's first introduced, so they haven't had time to take a badass fighter and make them a lame housewife yet.

Ya know, people joke about Goku being a terrible father and Chichi being a controlling mother, but they make Gohan and Videl neither of those things and everyone hates them even more for it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fit em all up in there posted:

Gohan vs Joseph who wins

Joseph.

He has the Joestar Family Secret Technique on his side, after all. Can't beat that.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arist posted:

Was that school's name drawn on with crayon?

ORANGE STAR HIGH SCHOOL

Todays Lesson: What An Airport Is

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arist posted:

I remember nothing about this fight except what Joseph does to the villain after it's over

I think it exists solely because the dude found out about the water in saguaro cacti and just HAD to work it into a fight somewhere in his story.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Depicted: An immobile Speedwagon helplessly watches a bunch of dumbass Nazis nearly dooming mankind while laughing their heads off.

Boy, if that ain't a timely metaphor.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You see, they need Gundam to help you kill the boner you get from Jojo.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

frank.club posted:

where are the gundams

where is the basic plot

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

frank.club posted:

Okay so I look at my phone to post for like 10 seconds and then when I look back to the screen I have no loving clue what's happening

apparently, the only way to know exactly what's going on is to start from the first episode of the original series and go through each series in order of air date

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tarodia posted:

When Newtypes get a tingly feeling in their brain from someone they'll basically murder whole planets for that person if they wanted them to

I get a tingly feeling that this is not hyperbole or a theoretical scenario in the least.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

They had vastly inferior numbers, and they wasted a lot of resources on one shot prototypes.

Zeon science is ze greatest in ze galaxy!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Funky Valentine posted:

Zeon being the Axis analogue is something that a disturbing number of writers keep forgetting.

Space Colonial Fiction has a history of attracting closet and not-so-closet fascists.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Turn A turn, Turn A turn, Turn Aaaaaaaaa~

Those couple of exceptions aren't really disproving the theory, champ.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

I would say that Gundam being good at least one time does in fact disprove the theory that Gundam was never good.

So, you're conceding Gundam is only mostly trash?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

I never knew bluffs could kill people

Keep watching Toonami, you'll learn how dangerous a strong bluff can be.

That's all I'll say.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And so, Sasuke's big character development for tragically killing his brother... is to decide to undo what little good Itachi did and wanted because lol revenge amirite?

truly, a misunderstood character voice of a generation, that sasuke

yeah, sorry

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crowds Insight is done. It was good.

Lessons learned: People are gullible idiots, jackass trolls will get away scott-free.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why does Supreme Kai not already know this? Seems like this stuff would be in "Being An Immortal Soovereign of Reality 101".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhonne posted:

Oh yeah, Vegeta's home planet getting blown up is Beerus' fault.

In that one, very specific instance, Freeza had actual good reasons for being a genocidal nutbar.

• Locked thread