Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
http://oppressive.games/power

POWER is a free politics webgame (I'm not the dev). It's still in development but it's got enough features and players to be moderately entertaining. Everything below is a synopsis of the game as it stands on January 1st, 2017 (happy new year everyone) and it could well change.

The player signs up as a prospective politician running for office in contemporary America. At the moment there are no NPC characters etc and I don't think any will be added - the dev's stated goal is for everyone, from the Presidency to his cabinet to lobbyists and CEOs, to be played by human players. Currently Senators and Governors are the only offices available for election.

The player has a number of attributes to differentiate him: ideological positions on the social and economic axes, cash (fundraised by the politician or embezzled from the party's treasury), state influence (built up by TV ad campaigns and public rallies; the player will lose all influence if he leaves his state for another), national influence (gradually built up over time by having high state influence or an elected office), and the eponymous POWER.

POWER is how effective the character is at playing politics, with more acquired from being in an elected office, and from being a member of a strong party. It is gained every server tick (currently every hour). You spend it on character actions like running attack ads on rivals, joining a party, creating a new party, boosting state influence and raising cash.

Parties are the political machines players join to combine their strength and organise. Right now most party politicking goes on in Discord servers rather than over the game's internal messaging system (the Demonrats post at https://discord.gg/cW5xYcp the Rethuglicants at https://discord.gg/KkA4H9V and the general POWER Discord is at https://discord.gg/jgx3DyB )

Parties have an attribute called Institutional Strength. This represents how well the party is entrenched in American politics. New parties start at zero, and gain more by having more national popularity - the Institutional Strength moves towards their current popularity every tick. National popularity is based on the local popularity of all the party members, pitted against everyone who isn't in that party (the total of the party popularities are not gonna be 100% because there are also independents). Institutional Strength is the mechanism which is intended to enforce the 2 party system - new parties will have no strength and therefore their members will have to rely on the basic 1 POWER trickle, whereas their rivals in the major parties get 1 bonus POWER for every 10% of strength (rounded, so a new party that reaches 5% popularity will eventually get a bonus 1 POWER every tick, once their institutional strength builds up to that).

Elections take place every 4 days, with some constituencies being staggered slightly (so that Senators are not all elected on the same day). Candidates running in their state's races compete for a share of the electorate's vote. They are more successful with different demographics depending upon their ideological positions: rich people tend to be further right, minority groups tend to be further left, and some states are skewed left or right. Candidates who are extremists with low influence in their state are obviously less successful when competing against influential centrists.

Elected Senators can propose and vote on pieces of legislation. These are a combination of hard mechanics and roleplaying - some players like to produce fluff text alongside legislation with little effect.

According to the dev, more features are gonna be implemented eventually so that legislation has a feedback effect on the electorate, and eventually on the economy and international relations.

Enjoy has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hey yall, im actually the developer of this game. if anyone has any questions about it please post.

my starting advice is to first thing join one of the two major parties, as they get significant benefits as they are dominant right now. third party and independent is difficult at start. be aware that the republicans are currently run by /pol/ types, so yeah.

also, make sure to get on the discord and talk with your party because they will give you money to get elected.

the game is pretty drat simplistic at the moment, I intend to expand it and make it more interesting.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Newbie guide:

1. Make your account. You might want to pick a state with few players so you have less competition during races. You can give your character cool extreme views or just be a boring centrist, those do have an effect but it's not insurmountable (I think most of the 4channer Republicans are extreme right)

2. Join either Dems or Repubs. This is because of aforementioned party Institutional Strength being the main source of POWER. You don't need to participate in the party if you don't want to.

3. Use your POWER and a little cash to build up influence, and use that influence to raise cash. If you can't beg your party leader for donations, you will need to use the more POWER intensive action, rallies. Once you get your influence higher and can get loads of cash from fundraisers (or beg some), you can switch to using TV ads for your influence.

4. Run for an office. Attack ads on rivals aren't useful if you're soloing, those are best used to coordinate attacks from people in other states - you are better off raising your own influence with your precious resources.

5. Once you win an office, save up some cash and POWER and make a cool 3rd party with a gimmick, like Ba'athism or Islamic Communism. This is a very vital step.

Enjoy has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Jan 1, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hey, if you're joining this game, go Team Dem! We're cool, and Republicans aren't, the dirty channers.

Edit: Enjoy don't post links to private chats in public forums, Dem discord is avaliable in game. Stop by!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

what are the raids like, i want a +4 dagger of democracy before endgame

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yinlock posted:

the sword of chang is +666 power

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

At first I was going to attempt to take Alabama under the glorious flag of the American Fascist League, but I decided to settle for the next best thing instead.

This game looks fun. I like fun.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I already have name regret. I don't hate mine I just thought of a better one.

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Jan 2, 2017

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
im in please provide material support

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
is there a qutbist green party faction

also christopher hitchens :psyduck:

stephenfry has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Jan 1, 2017

apathesis
Dec 14, 2006
Oh the humanity!
I really hope this gets more and more traction. I'd been wanting someone to make something like Fantasy Football, but for Politics and found there had been some attempts, but nothing significant. This looks like it could really develop into something very interesting and fun.

apathesis
Dec 14, 2006
Oh the humanity!
Ezra Kilo Lindo.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Once we have enough power and influence we should form the Goon Party, we'll take the abbreviation GOP from the Republicans (Get Out Party) :frogout:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Jan 2, 2017

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's Her Time

Hillary Rodham Clinton is pleased to announce the founding of the soon-to-be ruling party of America, the Liberation Front for Leninist Youth Fighters (Eurocommunist)

The party programme includes:-

- Reduction in the size of the nuclear arsenal by launching it at Israel
- Tax benefits for interracial families, with the aim of phasing out whiteness by 2050
- Job creation for reactionaries in special government camps
- Soup kitchens for the poor, using meat reclaimed from capitalists
- Mandatory gender reassignment
- Reparations for exploited nations, domestic and foreign

Pictured: two comrades dispense aid to the needy

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Enjoy posted:

It's Her Time

Hillary Rodham Clinton is pleased to announce the founding of the soon-to-be ruling party of America, the Liberation Front for Leninist Youth Fighters (Eurocommunist)

The party programme includes:-

- Reduction in the size of the nuclear arsenal by launching it at Israel
- Tax benefits for interracial families, with the aim of phasing out whiteness by 2050
- Job creation for reactionaries in special government camps
- Soup kitchens for the poor, using meat reclaimed from capitalists
- Mandatory gender reassignment
- Reparations for exploited nations, domestic and foreign

Pictured: two comrades dispense aid to the needy

Splitters are awful and I hope you enjoy your total lack of power income. :colbert:

Any Dems who join, message me in game for a special welcome package. (I'm Dem Chair.) Also join Discord.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Oh sign me up for the tankies

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

consumed by normies posted:

hey yall, im actually the developer of this game. if anyone has any questions about it please post.

are the positions of demograpghic's static atm? if so, is there a plan to make it change depending on the influence of certain positions held by politicians in that state?

like if you have 10 extremely left wing politicians at 100% influence that should be mirrored by the population, right?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

How can I successfully hail Satan, through legislation or is there a separate button I press?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

How can I successfully hail Satan, through legislation or is there a separate button I press?

send me money in increments of $666

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Karl Sharks posted:

are the positions of demograpghic's static atm? if so, is there a plan to make it change depending on the influence of certain positions held by politicians in that state?

like if you have 10 extremely left wing politicians at 100% influence that should be mirrored by the population, right?

I guess credibility is a better word for that discrepancy than influence at 100%- even if they respect your opinion they might not agree with it, and/or there's no way to change their minds.

So far I like it, it's like a cooler/better version of NationStates from way back when.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I guess credibility is a better word for that discrepancy than influence at 100%- even if they respect your opinion they might not agree with it, and/or there's no way to change their minds.

So far I like it, it's like a cooler/better version of NationStates from way back when.

i mean it feels natural to me for that to cause some shift; not saying if you got lenins in every position and a bunch more at full influence that the entire state would be all 'full communism now' but surely it would cause some shift?

i mean, charisma or whatever can only go so far, at some point you start to agree with their politics

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Karl Sharks posted:

send me money in increments of $666

$1488 :colbert:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Jan 2, 2017

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

I'm this guy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Karl Sharks posted:

yes and yes. Politicians will be able to use their state influence to change the policies of their state pop, very slowly and expensively but it will be possible. There will also be ways to change turnout, for example by having congress make voting mandatory or gerrymandering type stuff by state govs, or if economy goes to poo poo have the population (or at least poor and middle class) move leftward on economics, etc.

but yeah, at the moment things are basically entirely static and stable. once I get more of the basic systems finished I will start focusing on this more ambitious stuff.

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Jan 2, 2017

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

consumed by normies posted:

yes and yes. Politicians will be able to use their state influence to change the policies of their state pop, very slowly and expensively but it will be possible. There will also be ways to change turnout, for example by having congress make voting mandatory or gerrymandering type stuff by state govs, or if economy goes to poo poo have the population (or at least poor and middle class) move leftward on economics, etc.

is it just you working on this? sounds like a fun project to work on if you're looking for help

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
I'm in as a sentient hog lagoon full of children's bones to represent the great state of Iowa.

http://oppressive.games/power/main.php

God Bless America.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm in this! as A Mound Of Jello

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Zyla posted:

I'm in this! as A Mound Of Jello

o poo poo waddup

http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=1125

dat me

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

sup friend!

http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=1182

please help fund me!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=118

email that guy and he'll give you some cashmoney

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Karl Sharks posted:

http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=118

email that guy and he'll give you some cashmoney

Yeah I've already started throwing around some welcome packages, I'll send some more round whenever I get a chance tomorrow.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

Yeah I've already started throwing around some welcome packages, I'll send some more round whenever I get a chance tomorrow.

o poo poo is that you?

e: i missed you mentioning that's you, cool beans

Karl Sharks has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Jan 2, 2017

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Iowa was too crowded so now I'm in Mississippi to fight the rock solid Republic establishment there. Wish me luck.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I admire the pluckiness of Tex, the founder and sole member of "The states first" party http://oppressive.games/power/parties.php :patriot:

Apparently he's advocating for something called a "Texit"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ok i'm in http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=1189

i immediately notice that the swedish-american demographic is not represented in MN, destroying my gimmick. i also couldn't make the bio bi-lingual!! this is gonna be an up-hill battle.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Guess I'll join up and try to turn Utah blue:
http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=1195

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I didn't know you made this Sheng-ji, this is sweet!

Ben Ghazi is here to Make America Pay For Its Crimes http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=1199

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

oldskool posted:

Guess I'll join up and try to turn Utah blue:
http://oppressive.games/power/pol.php?pol=1195

gl going against Joseph Smith himself.

though ted cruz did beat jesus christ in texas earlier so hell has risen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBN_dEA4jO0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sniper4625 posted:

Splitters are awful and I hope you enjoy your total lack of power income. :colbert:

Any Dems who join, message me in game for a special welcome package. (I'm Dem Chair.) Also join Discord.

am i allowed to blue dog it up

• Locked thread