Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
http://oppressive.games/power

POWER is a free politics webgame (I'm not the dev). It's still in development but it's got enough features and players to be moderately entertaining. Everything below is a synopsis of the game as it stands on January 1st, 2017 (happy new year everyone) and it could well change.

The player signs up as a prospective politician running for office in contemporary America. At the moment there are no NPC characters etc and I don't think any will be added - the dev's stated goal is for everyone, from the Presidency to his cabinet to lobbyists and CEOs, to be played by human players. Currently Senators and Governors are the only offices available for election.

The player has a number of attributes to differentiate him: ideological positions on the social and economic axes, cash (fundraised by the politician or embezzled from the party's treasury), state influence (built up by TV ad campaigns and public rallies; the player will lose all influence if he leaves his state for another), national influence (gradually built up over time by having high state influence or an elected office), and the eponymous POWER.

POWER is how effective the character is at playing politics, with more acquired from being in an elected office, and from being a member of a strong party. It is gained every server tick (currently every hour). You spend it on character actions like running attack ads on rivals, joining a party, creating a new party, boosting state influence and raising cash.

Parties are the political machines players join to combine their strength and organise. Right now most party politicking goes on in Discord servers rather than over the game's internal messaging system (the Demonrats post at https://discord.gg/cW5xYcp the Rethuglicants at https://discord.gg/KkA4H9V and the general POWER Discord is at https://discord.gg/jgx3DyB )

Parties have an attribute called Institutional Strength. This represents how well the party is entrenched in American politics. New parties start at zero, and gain more by having more national popularity - the Institutional Strength moves towards their current popularity every tick. National popularity is based on the local popularity of all the party members, pitted against everyone who isn't in that party (the total of the party popularities are not gonna be 100% because there are also independents). Institutional Strength is the mechanism which is intended to enforce the 2 party system - new parties will have no strength and therefore their members will have to rely on the basic 1 POWER trickle, whereas their rivals in the major parties get 1 bonus POWER for every 10% of strength (rounded, so a new party that reaches 5% popularity will eventually get a bonus 1 POWER every tick, once their institutional strength builds up to that).

Elections take place every 4 days, with some constituencies being staggered slightly (so that Senators are not all elected on the same day). Candidates running in their state's races compete for a share of the electorate's vote. They are more successful with different demographics depending upon their ideological positions: rich people tend to be further right, minority groups tend to be further left, and some states are skewed left or right. Candidates who are extremists with low influence in their state are obviously less successful when competing against influential centrists.

Elected Senators can propose and vote on pieces of legislation. These are a combination of hard mechanics and roleplaying - some players like to produce fluff text alongside legislation with little effect.

According to the dev, more features are gonna be implemented eventually so that legislation has a feedback effect on the electorate, and eventually on the economy and international relations.

Enjoy has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Newbie guide:

1. Make your account. You might want to pick a state with few players so you have less competition during races. You can give your character cool extreme views or just be a boring centrist, those do have an effect but it's not insurmountable (I think most of the 4channer Republicans are extreme right)

2. Join either Dems or Repubs. This is because of aforementioned party Institutional Strength being the main source of POWER. You don't need to participate in the party if you don't want to.

3. Use your POWER and a little cash to build up influence, and use that influence to raise cash. If you can't beg your party leader for donations, you will need to use the more POWER intensive action, rallies. Once you get your influence higher and can get loads of cash from fundraisers (or beg some), you can switch to using TV ads for your influence.

4. Run for an office. Attack ads on rivals aren't useful if you're soloing, those are best used to coordinate attacks from people in other states - you are better off raising your own influence with your precious resources.

5. Once you win an office, save up some cash and POWER and make a cool 3rd party with a gimmick, like Ba'athism or Islamic Communism. This is a very vital step.

Enjoy has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Jan 1, 2017

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Yinlock posted:

what are the raids like, i want a +4 dagger of democracy before endgame

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's Her Time

Hillary Rodham Clinton is pleased to announce the founding of the soon-to-be ruling party of America, the Liberation Front for Leninist Youth Fighters (Eurocommunist)

The party programme includes:-

- Reduction in the size of the nuclear arsenal by launching it at Israel
- Tax benefits for interracial families, with the aim of phasing out whiteness by 2050
- Job creation for reactionaries in special government camps
- Soup kitchens for the poor, using meat reclaimed from capitalists
- Mandatory gender reassignment
- Reparations for exploited nations, domestic and foreign

Pictured: two comrades dispense aid to the needy

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Moose_Knuck posted:

I made multiple accounts without realizing it was against the rules. How do I go about getting one of them removed?

My Man Shran posted:

My incredibly unfunny gimmick of being a racist populist who advocates full communism (you know, for the right people) is stupid and I want to change it.

Are policy speeches worthwhile or should I just suck it up and go with it?

You can PM rumsod on his Discord server about deleting accounts

https://discord.gg/jgx3DyB

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

lol enjoy who is funding LF4LYFE

Lots of powerful people, you should pay me as well to buy me off :)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

logikv9 posted:

Should I go for the open senate seat or the governor's seat? Can governors do anything yet?

Governor gives you more power and is the first thing you see when you hit the map and is therefore cooler

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

There's... nothing particularly racist seeming about crypto-jews guy there?

BTW that is the dude who is currently cheering the genocide of gypsies in the off topic channel

quote:

Gov. George Wallace - AL - Today at 4:09 PM
>Panel buildings (panelák) in Chanov ghetto near Most, Czech Republic were built in the 1970s for a high-income clientele, authorities introduced a model plan, whereby Roma were relocated to these buildings, from poorer areas, to live among Czech neighbours. However, with the rising proportion of Roma moving in, the Czech clients gradually moved out in a kind of white flight, eventually leaving a district in which the vast majority of residents were Roma.[135] A poll in 2007 marked the district as the worst place in the Ústí nad Labem Region.[135] Buildings were eventually stripped of any valuable materials and torn down. The removal of materials was blamed on the Roma who had last inhabited the building.[136] Despite a total rental debt in excess of €3.5 million, all of the tenants in the remaining buildings continue to be provided with water and electricity,[137]
I don't even consider myself that racist
but I unironically defend the genocide of gypsies

Have fun with your racist party sniper, I'm going back to LF4LYFE after this election :)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Join up y'all

http://oppressive.games/power/party.php?party=14

It's time to kill the Democratic party

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

that happens to me occasionally (I'm HHH with the goatse trump avi) but then I realize that these people are literal children. The guy you're owning is 18 but many of them are 13-15. One guy in the Dems thinks Qadaffi was the best leader ever. He's 15.

Gaddafi was pretty trill

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
C'mon guys, with your help we can push the Libertarians and Greens down a notch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBjblKtj1ag

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

freckle posted:

I don't want to help Hillary Clinton do any such thing.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Reputation should be renamed corruption or else it should start at 100% and go down when you do bad stuff.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

18 Character Limit posted:

This is the guy I'm running against in a senate race.

*con happens here*

Haha

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

cams posted:

seriously what is this horseshit

Switching parties is only 5 AP so join LF4LYFE while fundraising, it will be cheaper if you do more than 1 at a time

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Effectively being a 1 party state should give a huge boost to 3rd parties until one of them also reigns supreme.

Why would being a 1 party state boost 3rd parties?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Now that rumsod is adding mechanics to further penalise 3rd parties we are gonna have to organise a little, so here is a discord for leftists https://discord.gg/SbzXnwh

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

oh no you can't switch to our party and leech off of us

mods???

wait, poo poo

Cry some more lmao

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Everyone make fun of Enjoy for working with King Autist Johnny Kamehameha.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
We're doing the goon pals thing now I don't need help in an election, are we

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

lmao

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

consumed by normies posted:

dude tried to threaten me into making third parties better by saying hed get His Boys to attack ad me lol

he's right

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh man sounds like there's some good drama I missed.

:shrug:

http://pastebin.com/L6aUSZeX

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

fwiw, I have nuked the USSR into oblivion for this and conquered Moscow. Enjoy got kicked out of leading the USSR and now NATO is 2/2 for winning RealPolitik.

Also, we also executed rumsod, who was in charge of Cuba.

:getin:

The post above this one owns.

I don't think it counted as a win for anyone

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cheen posted:

they (some gop person) were running sql injections and dropping tables and then the clock turned over and all their poo poo was hosed

lmao

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

The Republicans had about 100 members arbitrarily switch to the Democrats, then they all voted for one of them as chairman. The new chairman mailed the entire treasury home, then set party fees at 99% so nobody could raise any extra money. This all happened in the span of about 5 minutes.

That makes them smart.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
rumcode strikes again

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

holy poo poo enjoy, what did you do to get that red text?

Enjoy posted:

A war can be legal, for example when a legitimate government invites a foreign government to aid them against terrorism. Eg, the USSR in Afghanistan.

:ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

The Presidential election is a function of "campaign strength", which can be pumped up by people spending money and power, and party institutional strength, which is derived from national support. The 4chan nazi Republicans had been a supermajority and were still at around 50% institutional strength, the not-Democrats and the Libertarians were each around 25%.

The not-quite-Democratic candidate, Chaka Khan, told a triple agent that she'd tried switching parties to take advantage of the Republican's institutional strength but that it hadn't worked. She was down something like 60-40, so the not-quite-Democrats pumped a huge amount of money into her campaign, and the Republicans ignored it because there was basically no way they could lose, then Chaka switched to Republican at the last minute, won easily because her campaign strength was three times that of the real Republican, then switched back to Democrat.

The Republican candidate/chair quit the game in a rage.

Accurate elections simulator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39696861

• Locked thread