Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do voters vote based on only Home State influence + positions, or is there a partisan aspect? As a political nerd, I can say that in the real world, most people don't really keep track of actual policy positions, they just vote for a party.

Also, is there a Senate primary? If not, it seems like it'd be very open to spoilers.

Dear Dev:
If this game starts to really expand, you should open up the individual states to local politics. It'd be neat if individual states could set their own election polices or other local stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

consumed by normies posted:

I will be adding a "party loyalty" for each state, which should represent that. There is no partisan aspect at the moment except the power boost from institutional strength.

I would need a ton of players to fill out state leges. I probably don't even have enough at to fill out the house atm.

You'd need a zillion players, especially since every state has different sized legislatures.

But, it's something to think about if lighting strikes and one day you wake up to thousands and thousands of new players.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

consumed by normies posted:

im thinking of having majority and minority leaders for each state legislature who basically control their lege parties. Players will be able to spend money/power to campaign for the NPC legislature, so basically an indirect election.

This is a cool idea. You get the basic functionality, but leave the door open for expansion if there's demand.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been thinking about some of the forces that work against a party staying in complete control. They obviously aren't necessarily in balance, as some places are able to keep things locked down.

One interesting thing to try and model is how accountability is a huge pain in the rear end, and give politicians the ability to dodge it.

Suppose there's a riot at a state prison, that'd normally be a big problem for the Governor and the legislature, but if the prison is run by a private contractor, then at least part of the blame goes to the company, allowing the elected officials to dodge responsibility.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that there are many ways to deal with a crisis. If a state run hospital has problems, you could fix it, or sell the hospital. Either one resolves the issue to some extent.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, I would love to have more stuff for non elected politicians to do.

Maybe boost/suppress turnout for each demographic, weighted by population and other factors.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was looking at this on mobile and thought it was my phone loving up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd say see how income changes form year to year. If we're increasing it by more than 1 or 2%, we're outpacing interest

Edit:
Actually, we're increasing the debt by about 18% per year, so we might need to make cuts to be responsible.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Does being governor actually do anything other than give you bonus power and national influence?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If the game wants third parties to be viable, you need to implement instant runoff or Random Ballot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_ballot
In order to get that, you'd have to let politicians push for ballot initiatives or something to change the voting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Enjoy posted:

That makes them smart.

We should be mad that we didn't think of it sooner, but it's bullshit that it's possible.

• Locked thread