Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chuck tingle is a national treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

came to post this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

you're famous on a sub forum of an internet website mate savour it

famous for what? sleeping with heaps of chicks? but what about being famous for being good at computes??

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

echinopsis posted:

famous for what? sleeping with heaps of chicks? but what about being famous for being good at computes??

as the primary creative force of rodtronics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:shobon:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i can't get over that av. p cool

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Roosevelt posted:

i can't get over that av. p cool

same

jesus is looking through my soul

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh thanks it's from jesus christ superstar

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
320x240, unironically

after five years of searching,I found a guy who somehow had brand new 25" standard res Wells Gardner arcade monitors.like literally brand new from a warehouse from 2005. I was so happy I bought two of them . paid $700 for both shipped. a goddamm steal considering used ones with burn in are $500 local pickup only. it cost the guy $200 just to ship it to me

I'll kill myself with a non-discharged flyback transformer before I put Lcd trash in my arcade room!

all the old games look identical to their originals,even arcade games from the late 90s. long live low resolution 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

320x240, unironically

after five years of searching,I found a guy who somehow had brand new 25" standard res Wells Gardner arcade monitors.like literally brand new from a warehouse from 2005. I was so happy I bought two of them . paid $700 for both shipped. a goddamm steal considering used ones with burn in are $500 local pickup only. it cost the guy $200 just to ship it to me

I'll kill myself with a non-discharged flyback transformer before I put Lcd trash in my arcade room!

all the old games look identical to their originals,even arcade games from the late 90s. long live low resolution 2017

burn those suckers in with a title screen for maximum authenticity

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

burn those suckers in with a title screen for maximum authenticity

The reason I needed a new one was the burn in on the one I had was keeping me up at night.

Kind of related but I actually saw an lcd TV the other day with burn in (it was not plasma nor was it oled). I couldn't believe it, I never saw it before. I guess burn in is technically possible on literally anything (though even on crts it is almost impossible. The image has to be running for literal years for it to happen which is why you kinda only see it on arcades (same image 24 hours a day for a decade)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

320x240, unironically

:eyepop: nicely done

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The reason I needed a new one was the burn in on the one I had was keeping me up at night.

Kind of related but I actually saw an lcd TV the other day with burn in (it was not plasma nor was it oled). I couldn't believe it, I never saw it before. I guess burn in is technically possible on literally anything (though even on crts it is almost impossible. The image has to be running for literal years for it to happen which is why you kinda only see it on arcades (same image 24 hours a day for a decade)

I used to have a Sony lcd that would temporarily retain images if you left them up for a few hours, but it would fade over time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

:eyepop: nicely done
Yeah I'm stoked. I still don't understand how someone could have like ten of these taking up so much room and never bothering to sell them for a decade.

They have some weird ntsc composite board and from the research I did, these were marketed as monitors for displaying scores and graphics at bowling alleys. All I did was unplug the board and bam, it's a standard resolution arcade monitor. It's really cool too because it's from like 2003-2005 so it's probably the last low resolution arcade crt made so it doesn't need an isolation transformer. It just plugs into a regular outlet (I just had to hack up some power cable was all).

It need a special video card to force Windows to do 320x240. I should take a pic one day. All you see are two icons on the desktop. It's great.

Annual Gift Panda posted:

I used to have a Sony lcd that would temporarily retain images if you left them up for a few hours, but it would fade over time

That may have been it. It was a flight schedule if I recall correctly.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Annual Gift Panda posted:

the screen on my iPad 2 does that too. it fades after a few minutes tho.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

the screen on my iPad 2 does that too. it fades after a few minutes tho.

https://twitter.com/Shitty_Future/status/794170339978805250

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HRr0kDrz2c&t=18s

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

is there a resolution past retina? im gonna shoot for that

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

320x240, unironically

look at this good post

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

qntm posted:

look at this good post

i was so stoked (still am)

here is a picture of the back of it

LQQK at how clean and new

i would take some pics of it running but i took the monitor out to prep the machine for me installing the artwork for the original TMNT game (which is what the cabinet was originally but when i bought it, it was gutted and all black). even though I am gonnna MAME it, i hate when they say "JERRY'S ARCADE" or "MAME CABINET" or "CLASSIC GAMING BONANZA" and i just want it to look almost 100% stock (except of course the control panel is gonna have to be a little different)

i was able to find a guy who recreates arcade artwork who sold TMNT control panel artwork without any of the spots for the turtle characters because though my control panel will be 4 players, there is gonna be way more buttons to accomodate Street Fighter and others, so i got this

i actually could not believe how good it looked when i got it (quick plug for gameongrafix.com here)

but anyway, the sideart....the amount of poo poo involved in getting this $180 sideart on right is petrifying. you have to sand the entire cabinet, then coat with paint. then sand the paint. then paint it again. then sand THAT. each time using different grit. and finally when it's ready if so much as a piece of hair gets under it, supposedly it's completely noticeable and looks like poo poo. if you don't see me post in a long time it's because i broke my hand punching a wall after loving up the sideart install!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 4, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
here is my actual coin door:

TMNT used two coin doors and thought that looks kinda stupid so i went with this.

player 1 is blue, red is player 2, green is player 3 and yellow is player 4. (players 3 and 4 are angled on the modified control panel, so typically people will only be putting quarters in the middle two slots). each joystick and their buttons match the coin slot colors. the coin slots all light up when powered (which i am wiring to my PSU)

it will take quarters but it will spit them right back out. i kinda don't like "CREDIT" buttons on arcade machines. plus there should be some sense of urgency when the counter is going down

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2017

burning swine
May 26, 2004

mishaq posted:

buttery smooth at 60 Hz

:cawg:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

best of luck with the woodworking and such

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i really like these arcade game terminal posts!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you should collect the quarters and use them for beer

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

you should collect the quarters and use them for beer

i actually thought of that. i also have a legit (as in, it was actually used for the purpose) NYC pay telephone from the 1990s and i joked that if our kids want to use the phone, they will have to put quarters in to use it.

in actuality i will probably just have 1 quarter in the room to be used for everything

BONGHITZ posted:

best of luck with the woodworking and such

Thanks!

the bottom of the machine was pretty badly beat up to the point where i had to replace the bottom few inches as you can see here:

it took me like 3 days of scraping and sanding to get all the black paint off the sides by the way

also you will notice this cabinet only has one speaker hole (TMNT 1 was a mono game) and i was wracking my brain trying to think of a way to put stereo speakers in there without messing with the stock speaker hole (I did not want to cut more holes for speakers) and i came up with this

so it looks stock from the outside, but two speakers on the inside!

there is a little bit of rattling when music gets loud, i think i gotta put down a little bit of some thin rubber or something; it's probably just wood touching wood (lol) and it makes a bit of a noise, but it sounds great. i saw someone modify a TMNT machine on youtube to have two speakers and it looked so lovely having two holes on the sides and the stock hole in the middle

as for other woodworking this is the control panel that you can see i hosed up a little (wood filler should be a tip)

i am currently trying to figure out how to apply the artwork to it while having a "lip" around the trackball so that the artwork isn't just exposed to sweaty beer hands playing marble madness. all other buttons have a nice "lip" so it's not an issue there but there does not seem to be one for trackballs and i don't see anyone selling a small flat plastic circle to put around trackballs for this. i bet i will come across some random piece of garbage in the street one day that happens to fit perfectly or something.

i rewired the entire mess that was the inside of the cabinet so everything is very nice and neat; the next step is to paint and sand the poo poo out of it literally 4 or 5 times to prep it for the sideart which i am making GBS threads myself thinking about (i sweat when i install screen protectors on a 5" screen, i can't imagine me doing this on something 68"x36")

the PC is just an old AMD build from a few years ago with 8gb of ram and a 3.0 ghz AMD 64+ or whatever. i tested it and it ran Killer Instinct 2 and UMK3 perfect so that is enough for me

it is going to be in a room that we have attached to the back of the house;' it kind of separates the house from the backyard and i really want this done before this summer for when friends come over. i was originally going to put it in the basement but i realized it will be a lot more social-friendly to have it in an airy, almost-outdoor room when people are over and stuff

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 5, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you might get lucky and find a plastic grommet that fits the trackball.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's almost a perfect use for 3d printing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
that's what I was thinking but I somehow know zero people with a 3d printer

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

maniacdevnull posted:

mine is 1024x768 :xd:

Mine is kicking your rear end, LOL.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 6, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

that's what I was thinking but I somehow know zero people with a 3d printer

so post the spec and a redacted email, someone here will have one.

hell, I have one but it's packed away right now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

run what? 57 open tabs of chatroulette

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

now, these are some resolutions I can get behind

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

sned the yosprint

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is there a good deal on 5k monitors yet

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

how the gently caress does one go that far in making a perfect arcade cabinet and then don't get a real board to put in it? is it this particular game you want and it is truly impossibly expensive to buy?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i noticed a lot of the sound was being sent through the marquee of the arcade machine with my "stereo idea", instead of just the speaker hole

so i "enclosed" it a bit like so

i used liquid nails because this is really thin wood (i think they call it "luan"?) so there wasn't any other way really. it looks ugly but i don't care because you do not see it, even if looking up into the speaker hole on the cabinet. i did cover the rockford fosgate (cheap speaker brand) logo with a small piece of electrical tape because you did kind of see it through the speaker hole but now you don't. it might seem anal but it was actually very difficult buying car speakers that weren't bright red or without stupid-looking ricer grills. the speakers were only like $25 but they sound very good, surprisingly. even better now that i "enclosed" them a bit, though there is a bit of rattle when the bass is up very high (i am gonna try and find some adhesive, thin rubber to maybe help this but everything online is like 30' rolls and i am not even sure if that is what i should use)

since you cant just plug regular speakers directly into a PC, i had to get an amp and this is the one i got:

(i love how the protective film over the LCD wasn't taken off for the stock photo)

it works surprisingly well; the music gets louder than i would ever need it to be, and it has an FM radio so i just hit a button and it will play regular music or whatever through the cabinet if it's a party and people don't wanna hear Sabrewulf's theme all night (their loss)

the funny thing was i noticed a slight buzz in the audio, but it went away every time i touched the amp. so when i mounted it to the inside of the cab i just ran a wire from one of the screws to a ground plug in the machine and the buzzing went away

this is what the wiring looked like when i got it:

i cleaned things up a bit though i still have work to do:

i didn't zip tie everything up perfectly tight yet because it will bite me in the rear end as i still make changes, so it's still a bit messy but way better than it was. i even spliced the marquee light so i could use longer wires for it so i could run it down the sides of the machine because previously they would just dangle down the middle (this was how konami designed it for some reason....it used to make putting in the 120 lb monitor a lot more adventurous).

in the first pic that is in fact a VGA cable. it is plugged into the device that takes JAMMA (arcade connections) and lets the controllers communicate with the PC and more importantly it allows you to plug in an arcade CRT to a PC (though you still need a special video card to go as low as 320x240 in windows). the converter only gives you enough buttons for a 2 player cabinet so i had to buy a completely separate device called the iPac Ultimate i/o which gives you the ability to plug in a ridiculous amount of arcade buttons/joysticks. i am trying to make this NOT a franken-panel so it's only slightly overkill.

the second pic shows the power strip i mounted. i was scratching my head on how to have one button turn everything on from outside the cabinet. this is a unique power strip in that there is one "master" outlet. when that outlet receives power, anything plugged into the other green-colored outlets will then receive power. i tested my idea and it works: i plugged the PC into the master outlet, and everything else (monitor and amp) into the other green outlets. i wired a regular arcade pushbutton directly to the power header pins on the computer's motherboard. so all i do is push the pushbutton and it turns the PC on which then powers on the amp and the monitor! i plan to mount the pushbutton to the back top of the cabinet so you cannot see it and will have to reach for it (near where the original power switch for the machine is anyway).

the only thing i am wondering is i also bought an APC brand battery backup thing because gently caress me if this thing ever dies from a surge, and i have been reading that you should not plug a power strip into a battery backup. i am not sure which is safer for the machine (plugging or not plugging it into the battery backup).

anyway this is what the front of the cab used to look like:

this is what i am currently up to:

what i did was simply cut a huge piece of luan (thin wood) and glue and nail it in front of the wood that was there. it would have been nearly impossible to simply swap out the wood because this was a TMNT which was 4 player, but the previous owner converted it to a 2 player game (i think street fighter 3rd strike) and they did that by swapping out the wood themselves and when they put the new wood in the glued the poo poo out of it so i would never be able to remove it. the small white spot you see on the top left of the coin door is where i put a little bit of wood filler because without it you'd have a tiny hole there and i did not want that. the tiny nails i used are virtually invisible when painted over, so i am not worried about that.

i painted it and sanded it like 3 times; that is why the paint looks like poo poo (did not paint a 4th time yet). for whatever reason you are supposed to paint and sand and paint again like 4 times. i honestly never heard of that before but supposedly it makes things smoother (i would think sanding once then painting would be enough but whatever).

the things i have left to do besides painting and sanding again and applying the artwork to the cab and control panel is: cut the slot for the t-molding on the bottom parts where i replaced a small piece of the wood on the sides, wire up the control panel (this will be fun, seriously) and also build a box for the control panel to lay on which should be simple. i have an original TMNT marquee but i still need a black square border to go around the monitor's bezel because it's cracked a bit (they are made out of lovely thin black plastic) so a black border will hide that. surprisingly i can only find ones for 19" monitors online. i don't wanna just cut up some oak tag because it will probably look like poo poo if i did it.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

woah really? my email is miyamotosrgbnes@gmail.com. i will gladly pay for time/labor and all costs and stuff. this is what i came up with:

so i am guessing it would have to be slightly bigger than that. the only thing i can't seem to figure out is how i would attach it to the control panel. tiny, long screws maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how the gently caress does one go that far in making a perfect arcade cabinet and then don't get a real board to put in it? is it this particular game you want and it is truly impossibly expensive to buy?

a couple reasons

1) i always planned to make it a MAME cabinet because i dont wanna be stuck with one game the rest of my life. i bought the cabinet gutted with no game inside.

2) i realized i did not want to have sideart where there's 40 different characters spanning 2 decades or any of that crap, so i wanted it to look like a stock game. when trying to decide which artwork to use, i figured i might as well try to determine what the cabinet was originally. when i discovered it was originally a TMNT, i figured that would be the game i would restore it to.

3) a TMNT 1 board goes for almost $300 these days.

really the biggest reason is no matter how much i love a single game, i would be so bored to tears after like a month that it would have been a huge waste of money. if arcade CRTs weren't so scarce i suppose i could have multiple cabs but unfortunately these things got stupidly rare incredibly fast (people were practically giving arcade CRTs away in 2008; now they're $500 if you can even find one local)

so basically it's a combination of disliking "JERRY'S MAME ARCADE PARADISE" artwork with not wanting only 1 game the rest of my life (and my children will inherit this thing when i die)

Edit: I should clarify that it's visually indistinguishable from using a real board if you have the low resolution video card and use no graphical filters in mame

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread