Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

:coffeepal: Welcome to the new Traditional Games chat thread! This is the thread for:

• TG chat that doesn't fit into an existing thread, or would derail another thread
  • New users and lurkers who want to introduce themselves and/or ask questions
  • Asking where the thread for X is, or if you should post a thread about X (:justpost:)

Like the last thread this one will probably run through the year.

Standard TG/grey forum rules and chat thread houserules apply.

To start us off, what's everyone's gaming plans for 2017? Have you told the resolution thread? :buddy:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Played some SR:A on the last day of the year and it got a very strong review: 'if I was going to play a version of Shadowrun, this is probably the version I'd play.'

This year I will probably be lost in work. I might make it along to this ongoing group thing in town on Wednesday but it's unlikely! They run a DnD5 campaign that has about 30 players in it currently. Each Wednesday they have 5 or 6 GMs show up, run individual games that all link up along the same meta-plot story. It's good and a huge amount of effort goes into it.

Also can we post cooking things in here again this year.

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 1, 2017

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Sion posted:

Also can we post cooking things in here again this year.

:yeah:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I plan on finishing, getting edited and finally releasing a fully finished trpg towards the years end. Set those bars high for everyone!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I plan to:

• Get all A's again this semester (I got a D in spanish argh)
  • Actually find a primary care provider
  • Finish my backlog of miniatures before Bones 3 arrives, which'll probably be in like April at this rate
  • Play more Malifaux and Kings of War
  • Get my driver's license, and possibly a car
  • Fix my diet into something healthier
  • Learn to delegate more
  • Be an overall better person

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Once my 4e players finish up the final boss of the dungeon they're in, I want to take a break for a short game of Technoir and then maybe Fiasco or Law's Out or something. I also have a backlog of rpg books I need to read through in detail.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Set those bars high for everyone!

I plan on finishing and sending out a playtest draft of a new RPG within a month, get my Exalted game started again after a Christmas hiatus, deliver a kickstarter, and try to work out how to do all that while dealing with the demands of a 7-week old baby. Probably a little ambitious :sludgepal:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
  • Try to get more playtesting done on my mecha game, and an actual draft someone else can theoretically use.
  • Play more Malifaux, and paint more Malifaux.
  • Run that Kung Fu Cyborgs hack of Fate
  • FINISH that Kung Fu Cyborgs hack of Fate
  • Actually use my membership to the cool local Game Cafe more
  • Hell, maybe get an avatar. Gettin' tired of the ol' baby

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This year I'm going to finish up 13th Age Organized Play, and do something different with that group since we've been doing it for like 3 years. Probably something cyberpunk-y.

I'm also going to start a Fragged Empire game with my other group.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Put my game resolutions over in the other thread. Real-life resolutions I'm still working out. However, my unposted video game budget I imposed on myself also turned out to be a success (no more than $30 or one full-priced game a month, ignoring charity sales like Humble Bundle), so I'm probably going to aim at having a food budget this year.

I've been running a Breakfast Cult game for three months now (nuts to its one-shot nature) and just finished the second big mystery scenario, involving Fong Ho's untragic death on the Daedalus space station field trip, which they solved (Gai did it, but he's not responsible), and we're probably going to have some cooldown with some local small-m Occultar mysteries before moving into the third and final scenario. Also, it turns out trying to maintain Fong Ho's mind as a proto-Cold One falls under "most terrible decisions players can make that I never would have predicted".

Also been doing some playtesting for Level99, which I can't talk about, other than I've been doing it? Pretty easy to get into if you're interested.

Going to MAGfest this upcoming week, so video games! Looks like it's going to have a less impressive guest list this year, I don't know why they decided to hold it on the first week of the year, speaking of terrible decisions convention organizers can make I never would have predicted...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hell yeah.

This year I'm hoping to conclude the Zeitgeist campaign. It will be my first 0-30 4e campaign despite running it since it came out.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I've been working on The Next Project for something like 2.5 years now (off and on; did lots of running and a little bit of fundraising in 2016.)

I've got 15 classes all playtest-ready, so while the DM-side stuff isn't written down yet, I might run a playtest sooner rather than later, just so I can iron out any bugs/math fuckups on the player-side.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Flavivirus posted:

I plan on finishing and sending out a playtest draft of a new RPG within a month, get my Exalted game started again after a Christmas hiatus, deliver a kickstarter, and try to work out how to do all that while dealing with the demands of a 7-week old baby. Probably a little ambitious :sludgepal:
Real advice: don't let yourself use the baby as an excuse for not doing the things you need to do. Babies are really, really easy compared to toddlers. They get consistently harder and harder for about 3 years before they finally plateau and eventually start to get easier. So instead of thinking of this as a uniquely difficult time, get used to thinking of this as the easiest time you are going to have for the next few years.

Sorry if that sounds bleak, but I've had 3 kids and that's how all of them have been for me. And the good news is that they also get more fun as they get more difficult. (Except for when they randomly turn into screaming monsters for a few months for no apparent reason. That part isn't fun, but it does end.) And one day you will have a smart little kid playing games with you and chatting like a real human.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I will do my best not to think horrible things about myself.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Jimbozig posted:

Real advice: don't let yourself use the baby as an excuse for not doing the things you need to do. Babies are really, really easy compared to toddlers. They get consistently harder and harder for about 3 years before they finally plateau and eventually start to get easier. So instead of thinking of this as a uniquely difficult time, get used to thinking of this as the easiest time you are going to have for the next few years.

Sorry if that sounds bleak, but I've had 3 kids and that's how all of them have been for me. And the good news is that they also get more fun as they get more difficult. (Except for when they randomly turn into screaming monsters for a few months for no apparent reason. That part isn't fun, but it does end.) And one day you will have a smart little kid playing games with you and chatting like a real human.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware that as far as children go babies are p. much the easiest to handle - they can't even move under their own power, and their needs are very simple. Really looking forward to the time the little prawn starts chatting to us though :unsmith:

Serf
May 5, 2011

I plan on running Shadow of the Demon lord while continuing my Strike! game. I've never run two games at once before, but SotDL has hooked me hard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Cards against Humanity is a poo poo game and all its knock offs are knock offs of a poo poo game. Boo hiss!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I do sometimes wish I could pet service dogs. they're such good dogs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Joking Hazard is pretty great.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Going to MAGfest this upcoming week, so video games! Looks like it's going to have a less impressive guest list this year, I don't know why they decided to hold it on the first week of the year, speaking of terrible decisions convention organizers can make I never would have predicted...
It's actually MAGfest's traditional time of year. last two years were big ol' aberrations. I'm also going; really hoping to catch the Protomen on Thursday and Makeup and Vanity Set on saturday, between binging on videogames.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I will do my best not to think horrible things about myself.
I have already failed at this and will likely continue failing at this daily until given a reason to stop. :woop:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My gaming plans for this year include launching the Pigsmoke KS later this month, and trying to start a proper weekly game which may end up having to happen over roll20 or IRC or something because co-ordinating a weekly game with people I know IRL is getting more difficult by the day.

Also roping more local people into playing Battlecon. I need more opponents, dammit, and breeding my own is just too slow.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm going for some modest goals this year like cleaning my apartment and completing another FATAL & Friends write up. Going to start an Edge of the Empire campaign in a few months so hopefully I don't screw that up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A while back, an old friend of mine expressed interest in trying D&D. Due to how difficult it is to organize in-person groups, I suggested we try Roll20, as I had kickstarted it back in the day (though I've never used it).

Are there any good video tutorials for Roll20?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mordiceius posted:

A while back, an old friend of mine expressed interest in trying D&D. Due to how difficult it is to organize in-person groups, I suggested we try Roll20, as I had kickstarted it back in the day (though I've never used it).

Are there any good video tutorials for Roll20?

There's a lot of tutorial stuff for roll20 on their wiki site which I think includes videos, too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordiceius posted:

Joking Hazard is pretty great.

is that the Cyanide and Happiness 'finish the comic' one? If so yea that's probably my favorite 'lol so random cards guys' game

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, I'm trying to setup a meetup for a game on meetup.com as someone suggested that. Do I need to set a location and time or can I keep that floating?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is that the Cyanide and Happiness 'finish the comic' one? If so yea that's probably my favorite 'lol so random cards guys' game

Yeah, it's nice. I like games like Cards Against Humanity, but I feel like after a while, the jokes wear thin due to repetition. The cards that are question cards will always be question cards. The cards that are answer cards will always be answer cards. With Joking Hazard, all of the cards are just there and can be used anywhere. So a card you used in panel 2 one game might be in panel 1 for another game. It does a lot to extend the life of the game. I know that after a handful of times playing CAH, I could see the repetition and things became far less funny.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Happy birthday to me :toot:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think someone in the previous thread was asking about a game to play Harry Potter with.

Houses and Wands is a PBTA hack covering the genre: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1avqZm0uZXEVLLki7OfvveyxEF4awjWSQ_62aABPO3Ko/edit

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

My gaming plans for this year include launching the Pigsmoke KS later this month,

What.

I imagine this to be a RPG about competing BBQ chefs or a Western involving pigs.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Helical Nightmares posted:

What.

I imagine this to be a RPG about competing BBQ chefs or a Western involving pigs.

Sadly, nothing so cool. It's an RPG about playing academics at a wizard university.

I think there is an Iron Chef inspired Fate World in the works, which could easily be reskinned into competing BBQ chefs, but I can't remember any details right now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Sadly, nothing so cool. It's an RPG about playing academics at a wizard university.

This is cool too! :colbert:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sion posted:

Cards against Humanity is a poo poo game and all its knock offs are knock offs of a poo poo game. Boo hiss!

Reposting the relevant article by our very own Ettin because it's good as hell.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you spend money on Cards Against Humanity and the Oatmeal card game you need to be killed by getting hammered in the back of the skull with a lead-tipped club and thrown in a mass grave.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

The one where you add caption cards to picture cards to make memes is the loving worst. I'll find whoever did that and inject gasoline in his veins.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I played Exploding Kittens once and I genuinely cannot fathom why anyone would want to play it more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Card's Against Humanity works if you're the target audience, 15 years old and somehow couldn't sneak booze into your small party. You get to be racist and say naughty words only it's a game and you haven't developed the critical thinking necessary to think about why being "pretend racist" with cards is weird.

• Locked thread