Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm not even talking about the material on the cards, which speaks for itself. I mean, mechanically, they aren't even games. They're Mad-Libs with a trendier name. There's plenty of ways to make games about jokes and humor have interesting (and simple) mechanics, and all the "play a card with words on it" games fail at that. At least Codenames is mainstream enough to show up at regular department stores, maybe someone accidentally bought that for their kids last month and got them a good game by mistake.

Someone could release a "play a card with words on it" game that aligned perfectly with my political beliefs and hobbies and it'd still be poo poo, because it's a "play a card with words on it" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I'm not even talking about the material on the cards, which speaks for itself. I mean, mechanically, they aren't even games. They're Mad-Libs with a trendier name. There's plenty of ways to make games about jokes and humor have interesting (and simple) mechanics, and all the "play a card with words on it" games fail at that. At least Codenames is mainstream enough to show up at regular department stores, maybe someone accidentally bought that for their kids last month and got them a good game by mistake.

Someone could release a "play a card with words on it" game that aligned perfectly with my political beliefs and hobbies and it'd still be poo poo, because it's a "play a card with words on it" game.

TG Design Challenge January 2017: Make a game with fun mechanics revolving on saying slurs.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Just play the jackbox games those are fun and you get to use your phone.
edit: are the jackbox games trad games or video games and are hotdogs sandwiches

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 3, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Card's Against Humanity works if you're the target audience, 15 years old and somehow couldn't sneak booze into your small party. You get to be racist and say naughty words only it's a game and you haven't developed the critical thinking necessary to think about why being "pretend racist" with cards is weird.

the one time i played cah it was at a party where everyone but me and one other guy was a 20-something mormon so there was no drinking

so this checks out

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

Saying that reminds me of the writers of Workaholics have a long list of "joke lines" they're not letting themselves use anymore. poo poo like "Wait for it..." or "too soon?"; things that "have the shape of jokes, but aren't actually jokes".

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

"I like how the card game lets me say racist, homophobic, transphobic poo poo because I really want to do that but can't because this loving liberal society doesn't allow me to!"

cards against humanity.txt

Plutonis posted:

TG Design Challenge January 2017: Make a game with fun mechanics revolving on saying slurs.

Dungeons and Asskickings. Play dungeons and dragons only instead of saying 'dee' for 'D20' you have to say a racial slur. Time how long it takes for you to get your rear end kicked. Play it again at another location and see if you can beat your record time.

Sion fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 3, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Saying that reminds me of the writers of Workaholics have a long list of "joke lines" they're not letting themselves use anymore. poo poo like "Wait for it..." or "too soon?"; things that "have the shape of jokes, but aren't actually jokes".

That's a surprisingly good way to describe catchphrases.

Of course, you could just do what The State did and invent a seemingly horrible catchphrase that is innocuous in context... but you can only run that joke a couple of times before it gets stale. Although they did that because they wanted to get back at editorial meddling.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 3, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Never played CAH and have no desire to but it is amazing to see y'all get so worked up about it every time it's mentioned. Great article by Ettin though; gonna save that link

Serf
May 5, 2011

CAH sucks. It somehow manages to be an even worse version of Apples to Apples. Plus the people who make it are morons.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Never played CAH and have no desire to but it is amazing to see y'all get so worked up about it every time it's mentioned. Great article by Ettin though; gonna save that link

It's wildly successful as a card game and it's also astonishingly poo poo by every measure of 'game.' People get het up about it because it causes a loving glut of similarly uninspired games to exist and drain kickstarter money from projects that people put effort into. It's annoying because there's poo poo out there that's so much better than it, and there's poo poo that's so much better at what it does than it and when you give a poo poo about boardgames or cardgames it's kind of soul crushing to go around to someone's house and have them be like 'oh yeah I like boardgames, I love cards against humanity' and you just look at them and internally sigh before going 'oh yeah that's cool. You ever try apples to apples or snake oil?' only to get blank stares back.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

FastestGunAlive posted:

I don't think anyone, except for Plutonus, is mustering much beyond "I don't like this thing, here's my reasons"

edit: yeah sure I guess fake traditional gamer boys are ruining the hobby and don't even know tg's albums or whatever

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't think anyone, except for Plutonus, is mustering much beyond "I don't like this thing, here's my reasons"

hi no it's me

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I am glad Joking Hazard is fairly decent, because it has finally weaned some of my friends away from CAH. Also Telestrations was a godsend. You can draw your own dirty jokes and they don't have to be racist! Also you can draw kittens and stuff.

Really though if I have a gaming resolution it's to play more actual game-games. I got Big Book of Madness as a present, I'll have to see if I can get that into the rotation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

CAH sucks. It somehow manages to be an even worse version of Apples to Apples. Plus the people who make it are morons.

I think the people who make it know exactly who they're fleecing and trolling

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

It's poo poo for sriracha narwhal bacon normies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the people who make it know exactly who they're fleecing and trolling

They absolutely do. That just makes them lovely morons.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

I still like sriracha :negative:

edit: they sold their customers literal poo poo and threw money into a pit, there's something kind of admirable to their nihilism but it feels manufactured

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Cards against Humanity can be fine but it wears out its welcome pretty fast with its oh-so-edgy gimmick (the complaint about "the game making the jokes for you" seems pretty ridiculous to me)

what I am saying is that it's not great but it is v. unfair to compare it to exploding kittens

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't imagine how anyone can play CAH or A2A or all the various derivatives more than a few times. The novelty wears off extremely quickly since there's no strategy to play.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dixit is by far the best version of Apples to Apples.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

isn't that a sriracha bottle in your avatar?

Kwyndig posted:

I can't imagine how anyone can play CAH or A2A or all the various derivatives more than a few times. The novelty wears off extremely quickly since there's no strategy to play.

drinking, mostly

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

plutonis is the most normie person on the forums

also, the Scion second Ed Kickstarter had an update not that long ago showing a preview of the Aztec Pantheon. It is looking goooooood

Sion fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 3, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I think you guys are missing the speak of CAH. Not everyone is friends exclusively with hard core gamers who don't mind a rousing game of Twilight Struggle when they're drunk at a party.

It's incredibly easy to explain to and, be understood by, non gamers in various states of intoxication and it generally leads to laughs and good times. I've had people balk at learning even simple games at parties, so something that everybody is willing to pick up without killing the mood is a big plus.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Theres a bunch of good games that you can explain in 30-60 seconds. This isn't 2006 anymore, games aren't either Go Fish or Twilight Imperium.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also 'ironic' racism is a pretty big party killer, at least around here.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I think you guys are missing the speak of CAH. Not everyone is friends exclusively with hard core gamers who don't mind a rousing game of Twilight Struggle when they're drunk at a party.

It's incredibly easy to explain to and, be understood by, non gamers in various states of intoxication and it generally leads to laughs and good times. I've had people balk at learning even simple games at parties, so something that everybody is willing to pick up without killing the mood is a big plus.

God Hates Charades, Super Fight and Snake Oil manage to be better and simpler games without all that awkward racial/-phobic poo poo that comes along with CAH. It's not that some of us miss the point of CAH and don't understand how normies function (although that's a cool assertion, thanks Commander Riker avatar guy), it's that it's a poo poo game with some really poo poo undertones that can make a party super loving awkward when you play the 'lol it's actually rape' card and one of the attendees has to loving leave.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sion posted:

God Hates Charades, Super Fight and Snake Oil manage to be better and simpler games without all that awkward racial/-phobic poo poo that comes along with CAH. It's not that some of us miss the point of CAH and don't understand how normies function (although that's a cool assertion, thanks Commander Riker avatar guy), it's that it's a poo poo game with some really poo poo undertones that can make a party super loving awkward when you play the 'lol it's actually rape' card and one of the attendees has to loving leave.

Had that happen before. Never a pleasant way to effectively end your evening.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also plenty of people play CAH-likes without being blasted out of their gourds. I see people play that poo poo on campus every day.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sion posted:

I mean I know the idea of, "pick another game if someone will be uncomfortable with it," is pretty difficult to wrestle with, but my goal at most parties is not to be the official Gaming Ambassador so while those games you mentioned are great I'm not always carrying them with me just in case someone mentions CAH while I'm out. Like it or not, CAH did an incredible job at penetrating the non gamer market.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

edit - gently caress it, this hill isn't worth the box of poo poo you get sent ironically.

Sion fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One thing that CAH is really good for in parties where people aren't board game nerds is that it generates a lot of discussion really well (since each round is a turn of dirty jokes.) I wouldn't want to play something more involved or gamey than that when you're at a party to socialize and get drunk or high in your order of choice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My resolution is to play more games IRL which will probably be very possible because I am most likely moving to Columbus soon, which is a city that is big enough for me to find a Friendly Local Game Store and meet some gaming friends.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I liked The Big Idea when it came out (which was AtA with a little more game to it), but the wash of games like it has probably poisoned that well for me by this point.

Waffleman_ posted:

My resolution is to play more games IRL which will probably be very possible because I am most likely moving to Columbus soon, which is a city that is big enough for me to find a Friendly Local Game Store and meet some gaming friends.

Hopefully you'll get to meet some of the cool gaming pals I had when I lived around there, no idea if they're still in the hobby or not.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

It needs some timbs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

It needs some timbs.

They'd match your hat at least

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, remember at the tail end of the last chat thread and I mentioned this?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know at one point Schwalb was going to do a SotDL setting that's "the Demon Lord invades our world, everything goes Mad Max with magic and poo poo" as part of the KS, but I haven't heard anything about it.

It's live! :black101:

e: Good lord, Robert Schawlb has done about 115 SotDL supplements since August 2015. The man is a loving machine.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 3, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Sion posted:

Cards against Humanity is a poo poo game and all its knock offs are knock offs of a poo poo game. Boo hiss!

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, it's nice. I like games like Cards Against Humanity, but I feel like after a while, the jokes wear thin due to repetition. The cards that are question cards will always be question cards. The cards that are answer cards will always be answer cards. With Joking Hazard, all of the cards are just there and can be used anywhere. So a card you used in panel 2 one game might be in panel 1 for another game. It does a lot to extend the life of the game. I know that after a handful of times playing CAH, I could see the repetition and things became far less funny.

Countblanc posted:

But you know what isn't that, actually requires on-your-feet storytelling and making GBS threads on friends, and isn't you throwing your money down a hole or purchasing literal poo poo? My game, you fine chaps!

As for me this year, I am pulling back from too much RP-ing: 3-4 games a week is overkill. On the plus side, it's because everyone in the group wants to run a game.

I'm going to try and produce more videos, including playing more games for videos, and releasing another card game in February or March. One of them I made for a design contest here, actually (ERAUGH! was another one of those).

Also, since I have to shelve the documentary I was working on (as most of the members of my family are being assholes and don't want to pull their weight in interviews on camera), I'll be doing a podcast series discussing Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series, and a series called "How To Critic", where I talk about how to do analytical criticism.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

ManMythLegend posted:

I mean I know the idea of, "pick another game if someone will be uncomfortable with it," is pretty difficult to wrestle with, but my goal at most parties is not to be the official Gaming Ambassador so while those games you mentioned are great I'm not always carrying them with me just in case someone mentions CAH while I'm out. Like it or not, CAH did an incredible job at penetrating the non gamer market.

Arivia posted:

One thing that CAH is really good for in parties where people aren't board game nerds is that it generates a lot of discussion really well (since each round is a turn of dirty jokes.) I wouldn't want to play something more involved or gamey than that when you're at a party to socialize and get drunk or high in your order of choice.

It's weird that CAH has basically made it to the point where it's one of the 3.5 board games (Monopoly, Risk, CAH, and mayyyyybe Munchkin, depending on your crowd) that normal-ish people are familiar enough with to name, especially since it doesn't have the cultural space of Monopoly or Risk. It does a lot of things right for a game you can pull out a party if you're bad at making small talk or want to have a structured activity to keep your aunt from sharing her personal opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement: It's simple to understand from watching, it doesn't require a lot of skill (so most players have a good shot at winning a couple of rounds), it allows for players to drop in or out without much disruption, it doesn't have a fixed length (so you can call it done whenever people start to get bored), it has a small number of components and it doesn't really demand much in the way of physical space so you can just sit around a couch or on the floor. So there's a lot of really good stuff to mine in the way of party game design

It does have a lot of creaky bits, including: that it tends to be a bad conversation starter, that it tends to make quiet, non-aggressive people less chatty and encourages loud, opinionated people to suck up all the conversational oxygen with Family Guy quotes, that it ages poorly (because I'm a boring old, the number of parties I attend that aren't work or family related has declined massively). Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in my experience, something like Balderdash or Telestrations or Monikers does a better job of making a shared experience for people to talk about/during.

As my wife put it, "it gets a little Milk/ Milk /Lemonade..."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

nomadotto posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in my experience, something like Balderdash or Telestrations or Monikers does a better job of making a shared experience for people to talk about/during.

I just played Monikers for the first time at New Years and it was a pretty good little party game that definitely scratches the same itch as CAH. I'm going to have to snag a copy of it to use along with Joking Hazard for light party game shenanigans. Honestly, I wish more people dug Dixit because I really enjoy that game but no one seems to want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
My fave CAH knockoff is the meme one because the trailer is so incredibly soulless it makes me laugh.

• Locked thread