Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

My squares don't got no numbers, just these here dots...

Dots is good, just count them dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Traditional Games: Dots is good, just count them dots

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Ratpick posted:

Funnily enough, the word dice (from Middle English "dyce" which came from Old French) was originally used as both singular and plural, although the plural form "dices" also existed in parallel. The word "die" is a later introduction and was originally used as a plural. It's only later through analogy that die became used as a singular and dice became accepted as the plural form. By analogy I mean that it just sort of makes sense that the form without a plural s sound at the end (die) became assumed to be the singular, while the one with the s sound at the end (dice) became assumed to be the plural.

But yeah, in modern usage it's singular die, plural dice, if you want to be pedantical about it.

Singular dice is standard in British english, and is very common in modern American English as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
13th Age's Fighter is really, really fuckin boring no matter how it might have come about or what its design may be in response to. "Oh I rolled even on this attack that didn't hit, I get +2 to my AC for a turn, that's so fascinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think the best design for a simple fighter guy was the slayer from 4e essentials.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the slayer could have used just a couple more tricks imo. a full 4e class is too much and a lot of 4e progression is "replace this thing with thing+1". only bad guys also get +1 so it's necessary but pointless

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Bigger numbers are fun, hth

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah there's definitely a joy in saying "drat I just did 185 damage with Blade Cascade, good poo poo" even if that's 25% of a monster's life bar and your dailies were still doing 25% of a life bar 10 levels ago.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I prefer systems with smaller numbers on account of being bad at math

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elfgames posted:

the slayer could have used just a couple more tricks imo. a full 4e class is too much and a lot of 4e progression is "replace this thing with thing+1". only bad guys also get +1 so it's necessary but pointless

It's the Saitama build in that you only do melee basic attacks but each of them has +100 to hit and deals a hundred trillion damage

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Yeah there's definitely a joy in saying "drat I just did 185 damage with Blade Cascade, good poo poo" even if that's 25% of a monster's life bar and your dailies were still doing 25% of a life bar 10 levels ago.

It's the same exhilarating feeling Ullillilia has when he plays JRPGs.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also if you can now do 25% of a level 20 monster's health bar you can instantly do 100% of a level 5 or 10 or whatever monster's health bar and that matters a lot when level 10 monsters are things like "elite city guard".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
After playing a Ranger for the past 2 years I feel comfortable saying it's actually the easiest Fighter build

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Sorry, the best fighter build is the grab machine of 4e, because why wouldn't you want to suplex all your problems.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Sorry, the best fighter build is the grab machine of 4e, because why wouldn't you want to suplex all your problems.
This is funny because my favorite fighter build is the throw machine of 3e. When your default attack is cross-checking, you don't even need a full attack action!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

One of the best 4e characters I ever played was a dragonborn luchadore. I actually managed to put a slime in a headlock.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cross posting, but all you guys should spend a bit of time checking out Caves of Qud

Made by goons Unormal and Hand of Luke. Amazing tiles by goon Megane. Music also by goons

----------

Welcome, to the Caves of Qud.

Caves of Qud is a post apocalyptic roguelike set in a world like Fallout but much much weirder. If you are familiar with the old school mutants and wastlanders game rpg Gamma World, it is inspired by the creators' early experiences with that TSR game.

What can you do?

By Angry Diplomat:

quote:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

All of the above is literally true gameplay.

In addition there was a patch that added fungal locations where you can get infected by fungal spores, grow your own crusty mushrooms on a random body part, and pop off said mushrooms and eat them when you get hungry. Or use them for bio-luminescence. Or the fungal outgrowth is so crusty it functions as extra armor, and you can beat enemies into a pulp with your now mushroom-club-hands.

Yeah.

It is a great time to get into Caves of Qud because of the following patch/expansion. Check this out.

quote:

The Sultans of Qud: Part 1

Qud is a layer cake of fallen civilizations. If you've read the Baccata Yewtarch's influential history book, "Frivolous Lives", you know that the past 1,000 years were dominated by minor humanoid kingdoms and Girsh attacks. Before that was the Age of the Eaters, when the mysterious progenitors ruled from lofty spires now buried under shale. In particular, the lives of 5 great sultans have been preserved through cultural artifacts and oral tradition.

We've introduced the first part of our Sultans of Qud feature arc.
Each game now includes a procedurally-generated history from the Age of the Eaters.
-There are 4 historical sites located throughout Qud (more to come in future patches), each one at a different degree of difficulty that corresponds to its location on the world map. Their names, descriptions, locations, contents, historical significance, and look & feel are procedurally-generated and different each game.
-Historical sites are populated by cults that worship a particular sultan. Each cult is a coalition of members from other factions, most of which favor the sultan due to some event in Qud's history. The 5 cults are different each game, and each one functions as a faction. You can view your reputation with the cults on the Reputation screen.
-Historical sites contain relics. Relics are powerful items that were generated during the course of history. Many of their properties are new effects and are based on the circumstances of their creation.
-Shrines to the former sultans are located throughout Qud. They depict significant events from the sultans' lives.
-New mods: painted and engraved. Painted and engraved items also depict events from the histories.
-Sometimes, looking at a shrine, painted item, or engraved item reveals the location of a historical site. If it does, you get a quest to visit that location.
-Sometimes, looking at a shrine, painted item, or engraved item reveals the location of a historical relic. If it does, you get a quest to recover that relic. The relic locations aren't revealed on the map; they are individual levels that exist inside some historical site.
-We added a guaranteed sultan shrine to the upper right corner of Joppa. Looking at this shrine reveals a nearby historical location that's usually appropriate, though challenging, for the early game.
-Added some new creatures, furniture, and traps for the historical sites. We'll be adding more in the coming weeks.
-A few additional notes:
--The historical dungeon maps are generated via a new method that produces tremendous variety from themed templates. They take longer to generate, and we haven't optimized the algorithm yet. We'll improve its speed in the coming weeks.
--There's a lot going on behind the scenes to generate the histories and the historical sites, and there are definitely bugs. Please report them and we'll fix them!
--We'll be adding more unique features to the various types of historical sites in the coming weeks. We'll also be adding more sites, mechanics, and a story arc that this into the main quest in Part 2. Stay tuned.

Yes that's right. Procedurally generated dungeons, world history, artifacts and factions you can interact with.

Does this sound a tiny bit like Dwarf Fortress? Yes, yes it does.

Caves of Qud is 10% off, $9 on Steam right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

-----

Not sure?

Check out Splattercat's youtube review and gameplay :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNP0RK-M_Y&spfreload=5

Popular Mechanics named Caves of Qud one of their top ten games for 2015

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/g2339/best-rpgs-2015/

Want a guide to playing mutants or True Men?

Look no further than bazomatic's post right here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post467855216

Come for the guides; stay for Qud chat.

LIVE AND DRINK

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 8, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the best 4e characters I ever played was a dragonborn luchadore. I actually managed to put a slime in a headlock.
Are you sure that was its head?

I'm betting you put a slime in a buttlock and didn't even realize it.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So anyone else started binge-watching Travelers yet on Netflix? I'm about halfway through, and besides really liking it have been thinking that the premise would work pretty well as a RPG setup. Both in the mission-oriented-but-also-flexible style, and given the presupposition that the team is likely to gently caress up, semi-regularly.

Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

13th Age's Fighter is really, really fuckin boring no matter how it might have come about or what its design may be in response to. "Oh I rolled even on this attack that didn't hit, I get +2 to my AC for a turn, that's so fascinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

I really like the concept of how it works in theory (roll first, figure out what happens later) but because of the number of maneuvers actually in the system, the number you get at a time, and the fact that most of them are pretty un-flashy, you end up not having any choices as to what you can do when you roll whatever hit/miss odd/even combo so it ends up being a lot of that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Caves of Qud is really well done, but I don't think I've ever had a character last more than 10 minutes in it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Desiden posted:

So anyone else started binge-watching Travelers yet on Netflix? I'm about halfway through, and besides really liking it have been thinking that the premise would work pretty well as a RPG setup. Both in the mission-oriented-but-also-flexible style, and given the presupposition that the team is likely to gently caress up, semi-regularly.

Just finished it yesterday and I want to say the 3rd edition GURPS Time Travel talked about a similar method of arriving in the past, but I don't have that book handy.

That said yeah, it's a fairly good set up for an episodic format with long-running personal arcs, so it works perfect as the basis for an RPG. The fact that the team receives their instructions from an entity that's mostly unable to control their actions makes it even better for certain players.

The Leverage RPG would work with some slight modifications, in my opinion, if you were just going to play a Traveler group, or insert your favorite universal system of choice, of course.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
My gaming group is about to explode because we lost our usual hall. :(

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

The Deleter posted:

My gaming group is about to explode because we lost our usual hall. :(

know any diners that wouldn't mind a group of people?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Regarding wrestle-fighters, my old 3.x group had a ranger whose main thing was charging people, grabbing them and snapping their spines. Basically spears for everyone.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I forgot the D&D movie starts with the narrator straight up saying Mages rule the world and people who can't do magic are treated as peasant scum

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I forgot the D&D movie starts with the narrator straight up saying Mages rule the world and people who can't do magic are treated as peasant scum

I mean when it's Jeremy Irons ruling things then yeah, we are all scum

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

from what Monster Manual is this Ivan Ooze-looking motherfucker from

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

13th Age chat:

So first off, this is a Talent, which means it's always on, so it's no skin off your nose if it doesn't go off.

So it's statistically unlikely to happen, but it can happen any time the trigger is met. Sounds like it creates a lot of niggling over not much benefit, which was my point.
Huckabee Sting has pretty succinctly illustrated how inconvenient it is in play, I just also happen to think this specific example is bad design.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Plutonis posted:

from what Monster Manual is this Ivan Ooze-looking motherfucker from

Dude's looks like a Genasi of some description IMHO.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Plutonis posted:

I didn't realize the D&D movie was set on Athas.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mordiceius posted:

I didn't realize the D&D movie was set on Athas.

You joke but the D&D movie wasn't actually set in any official setting, which I thought was dumb as hell.

Serf
May 5, 2011

god the D&D movie ruled

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

god the D&D movie ruled

It's an incredibly entertaining movie and emulates well the feeling of playing it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kwyndig posted:

the D&D movie... was dumb as hell.

Exactly what I thought when I watched it as a teenager.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I saw that drat thing when it was in theaters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The thing I found most comical about the D&D movie (which yes I saw in theaters) was that they expected you to feel sad that a Wayans had died, and like, not even the actually funny one, it was Marlon.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Marlon Wayans is a national treasure

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scary Movie 1 and 2 were excellent movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Marlon Wayans is really good in Requiem For A Dream. I will give him that.

• Locked thread