Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The System Mastery episode about the D&D movie made it sound unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

It's got Jeremy Irons chewing the scenery, Marlon Wayans as a puckish rogue, and terrible, terrible CGI. It is a great movie.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When asked why he did this film, Jeremy Irons replied, "Are you kidding? I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Marlon Wayans' character is named Snails. And for as bad as D&D is with minority representation two of the main cast are black.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of minority representation Paizo lent their iconic Pathfinder characters to the Kingdom Death guys for use as characters in the new edition of KD. Including their three most prominent women. Wonderful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It definitely had the first depiction of a black woman with fake elf ears on TV before T'Pol from Enterprise

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Pope Guilty posted:

It's not a good movie by any means. But that doesn't stop it from being pretty great. At least, that was my opinion the last time I watched it. Which was a while ago.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
New blogpost for my D&D clone "The Next Project" is up, basically a year-in-review kinda thing.

I've already made a huge changelog of stuff that I've been fixing/tweaking since the Christmas break, so that'll probably constitute the next blog post, or maybe the one after that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

It definitely had the first depiction of a black woman with fake elf ears on TV before T'Pol from Enterprise

Jolene Blalock is white though????

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Arivia posted:

Speaking of minority representation Paizo lent their iconic Pathfinder characters to the Kingdom Death guys for use as characters in the new edition of KD. Including their three most prominent women. Wonderful.

That's an interesting mashup.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Caves of Qud is really well done, but I don't think I've ever had a character last more than 10 minutes in it.

Qud is everything wrong with 90's RPGs resurrected in a computer game. :v:

I enjoy it anyways but it's the same kind of enjoyment I get out of reading about Pun-Pun or explaining the 3.5 grappling rules to an unwitting victim.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was 5 seconds into typing "the grappling rules aren't really that complicated", when I realized I've been playing 3.5 continuously for over a year now and have had lots of practice.

It's me, I'm That Guy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was 5 seconds into typing "the grappling rules aren't really that complicated", when I realized I've been playing 3.5 continuously for over a year now and have had lots of practice.

It's me, I'm That Guy.

In Caves of Qud you can get your tongue rotted off by a disease. You are near-guaranteed to contract it in one of the main quest areas. When your tongue rots off, you can't speak properly, and merchants will take advantage of you by raising their prices sky-high.

There's an in-game guide to cures for diseases, which is randomized each game. The only way to get it is to buy it from a merchant. The game tells you none of this up front.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 6, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's one of the worst things I've ever seen

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

that's horrific, especially considering all the lip service paizo pays to diversity and respect for women

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

I'm assuming your "wonderful" is being said sarcastically, because good god I can't imagine how you might consider that a good thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm assuming your "wonderful" is being said sarcastically, because good god I can't imagine how you might consider that a good thing.

I see you're new around these parts.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's me, I'm That Guy.
I've been playing 3.5 since its inception and I still have to have the SRD page up when I use them because they're such a pain in the rear end.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

I've been playing 3.5 since its inception and I still have to have the SRD page up when I use them because they're such a pain in the rear end.

I'm thinking back to our very first session where the very first combat action of the very first combat was "I grab the halfling" and everyone goes OK BREAK OUT THE FLOWCHART.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I posted another game rec thread but I'm thinking about just making a big game rec thread instead of a monthly thing. Or is there one and I missed it? :ohdear:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ferrinus posted:

Also if you can now do 25% of a level 20 monster's health bar you can instantly do 100% of a level 5 or 10 or whatever monster's health bar and that matters a lot when level 10 monsters are things like "elite city guard".

except you don't do that in 4e because if you're more than a few levels over the enemy then they can't hit you and you're either spending 5-10 minutes on a pointless fight you can't lose or you use the level x city guards and you're back to doing 25% damage.

and maybe i'm weird but "bigger numbers" isn't a huge draw to me if it doesn't matter, i'd much prefer smaller more meaningful numbers

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elfgames posted:

except you don't do that in 4e because if you're more than a few levels over the enemy then they can't hit you and you're either spending 5-10 minutes on a pointless fight you can't lose or you use the level x city guards and you're back to doing 25% damage.

and maybe i'm weird but "bigger numbers" isn't a huge draw to me if it doesn't matter, i'd much prefer smaller more meaningful numbers

Yeah, either all fights should be around your level or if they are so far below you that you could one-shot them you might as well forgo combat and resolve without rolling, since the outcome has already been decided.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

Serf posted:

Yeah, either all fights should be around your level or if they are so far below you that you could one-shot them you might as well forgo combat and resolve without rolling, since the outcome has already been decided.

When I DM Pathfinder I like to use enemies the players had fought before, but where difficult at the time, and use those enemies as fodder for a bigger bad guy/s.

I think it can be fun to see that your character has increased in power, and the carthartic release from destroying enemies you once had trouble with. Lastly, the world feels more alive by giving the illusion that there are more/less powerful creatures out there and everything isn't always exactly hard enough for your group.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Huckabee Sting posted:

When I DM Pathfinder I like to use enemies the players had fought before, but where difficult at the time, and use those enemies as fodder for a bigger bad guy/s.

I think it can be fun to see that your character has increased in power, and the carthartic release from destroying enemies you once had trouble with. Lastly, the world feels more alive by giving the illusion that there are more/less powerful creatures out there and everything isn't always exactly hard enough for your group.
I like to do this too, and I also like to throw templates that don't alter appearance onto old or low power enemies to make them a challenge. Oh, what a cute little pond of Paragon shocker lizards, no sweat we can sweep them aside easily, right guys?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Huckabee Sting posted:

When I do this, I make those old creatures into mook/minions what have you. One hit and they go down, but they will still put a hurting on you if they gang up. But as I've run more games, I find that controlling so many creatures can really bog things down, and so unless it is a special moment like a big boss fight where they would be present, I mostly let the players roll to deal with non-threatening enemies or just ignore them entirely.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Am I alone in feeling all anime trpgs are disappointing?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Yes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Am I alone in feeling all anime trpgs are is disappointing?

no

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Covok posted:

Is Ryuutama an anime trpg and if so yes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Ryuutama, TBZ, Shinobigami and Golden Sky Stories all own bones.

Anima's pretty bad, for what that's worth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I kind of want to find some folks to play Valor with but the game looks sort of abandoned.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

grassy gnoll posted:

Ryuutama, TBZ, Shinobigami and Golden Sky Stories all own bones.

Anima's pretty bad, for what that's worth.

I'll give you those, somewhat. Never played Ryuutama or Shinobigami but those do seem good. By Anima do you mean Anima or Anima: Beyond Fantasy?

Still, most seem pretty disappointing and even those listed don't make me feel like I'm playing an anime.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I kind of want to find some folks to play Valor with but the game looks sort of abandoned.

I do think it is abandoned. Also, that one just seems like an okay tactical combat game. Outside the aesthetic, don't know if it is really "anime."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I'll give you those, somewhat. Never played Ryuutama or Shinobigami but those do seem good. By Anima do you mean Anima or Anima: Beyond Fantasy?

Still, most seem pretty disappointing and even those listed don't make me feel like I'm playing an anime.

what does 'playing an anime' mean to you though, it's not like anime is a genre

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be fair to TBZ, it's intended to be Kabuki Theater style and it actually does that rather well. People just think of it as 'anime game' because of some of the artwork and because it's Japanese.

When I think of an anime game, honestly I think of Maid.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In order to be an anime game, it has to have anime/manga style art, and also has to explicitly tell you that it is an anime game. The Japanese printings of D&D for instance are not anime games because they only fulfill one of these clauses.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

remusclaw posted:

In order to be an anime game, it has to have anime/manga style art, and also has to explicitly tell you that it is an anime game. The Japanese printings of D&D for instance are not anime games because they only fulfill one of these clauses.

Hm, so Chuubo doesn't count, then.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, so Chuubo doesn't count, then.

No one's perfect

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think the second clause is likely more important than the first, but people have argued to me that Miyazaki movies aren't really anime because they are good, so gently caress if I know. Maybe another clause is that they have to be bad to be anime.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So Anima and BESM then, those are the anime games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The problem is that since TFOS was so early in the lineup of anime games it set so high a bar no one can really reach it and thus all fail miserably.

• Locked thread