Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I suppose I should've put this down a lot sooner, but I had a real interest in writing for Raw or Smackdown when the thread started. But after these first few weeks I find I still want to, so if an opening comes up on either show, I'd like in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry I didn't have time to do the full write-up for smackdown this time. I'll have more time this weekend to do the upcoming episode. It helps that it has a personal favorite segment I've been excited to see start up.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
September week 2

WELCOME TO

quote:

A strange occurrence in Witchita as the show begins. What was a simple broom closet has become something otherworldly. An ominous red glow and smoke is seen bellowing out of the sides of the door. Then the door abruptly shoves itself open! Out of the smoke, Randy Orton staggers out and collapses to the ground and the door shuts behind him. He slowly picks himself up and looks around, his eyes unfocused and his beard showing a week's worth of unmitigated growth.

A cameraman sets his camera down and attends to Orton, asking if he's okay and if he needs a medic. He shakes his head, and asks where he is. Witchita, Kansas, apparently. Orton picks himself up and starts to stagger away. The cameraman asks where he's been.

"Hell,"" he tells the man. ""And now I'm going after the guy who put me there,"" Orton responds. He takes a few more steps, then asks another question: ""Where's the changing room? I need a shower.""

The man points him in the right direction, but then looks at the wisps of smoke coming from the broom closet Orton was ejected from. He opens it up, but it's just a closet again with no trace of why Orton was in there to begin with."
The show begins with a Women's Division match between the recent signee AJ Lee and Tamina Snuka. The two spend a decent amount of time going at each other before AJ lands her recently-named Black Widow submission and forces Tamina to tap.

---

After the warmup match, the crowd boos Christian as he makes his entrance, hoisting the World Heavyweight Championship belt over his head. His opponent tonight is Ezekiel Jackson, the former Intercontinental Champion. The two of them start off much as expected with Christian engaging early offense, but Jackson fends him off, using his larger size and strength to his advantage and with several body slams puts Christian in the ineviable position of being forced to kick out of several attempts to put him away.

But also as expected, Christian manages to recover enough to slip out of the ring and force Jackson to chase him right into a trap: Christian slams Jackson into a ringpost, then a barricade, then tosses him back into the ring. Christian softens Jackson up a bit more and sets him up for a Killswitch. But right before he can hit it, a familiar music hits. Christian lets Jackson go as he expects Sheamus to enter from the ramp. But Sheamus comes in from the crowd and blindsides him with a Brogue Kick! The bell is rung, and Jackson is disqualified; he backs out of the fight between the Champion and the Celtic Warrior. Christian rolls out of the ring before Sheamus can do more to him, and retrieves his belt, withdrawing to the ramp. Sheamus can be heard saying he's gonna do the same at Night of Champions. Christian hoists his belt above his head as Sheamus's music hits and the show goes to commercial.

The announcers confirm that Christian and Sheamus will be going head-to-head at Night of Champions for the World Heavyweight Belt as the commercials end and the show begins. For now, in the ring are Heath Slater and Trent Baretta. The match is fairly uneventful and Slater ends up the winner after landing a jumping neckbreaker on Baretta.

---

Up next on the evening's series of matches are Beth Phoenix and Kelly Kelly. Although both performers give a decent run, Beth Phoenix is the inevitable winner after landing the Glam Slam, and the Glamazon puts Kelly away. However, there seems to be a bit of hesitation in her accepting the win as she looks back at Kelly. Matt Striker notes that Phoenix didn't employ some of her nastier moves and it almost seem as if it were a mercy to Kelly.

Backstage, Natalya watches the commentary and shakes her head, hoisting the Women's title on her shoulder. An interviewer attempts to approach her, but she doesn't let the woman do her job and abruptly leaves with a hand shoving the reporter out of the way.

---

The announce team makes mention that some people not in action tonight are John Cena and Mark Henry's stable. As if on cue, John Cena is seen in street clothes in the locker room. He is catching up some business on his phone when he is approached by the young Xavier Woods with an earpiece, also on his phone. He appears to be coordinating with whomever is on the other line as he taps Cena on the shoulder to get his attention.

Xavier introduces himself, then says that he's on the line with The Rock and that he's been asked to deliver a message. He starts reciting a recipe in a deadpan and monotone expression, something about chicken and getting pasta going as well as making a from-scratch sauce. Cena interrupts him as he starts to look impatient then asks: ""What the hell is this?"" he asks the young man.

Xavier then says: ""He's asking what this is. Uh-huh. Uh-huh,"" he acknowledges the man on the other side of the conversation. ""He says it's chicken alfredo over fettuccine with cherry tomatoes,"" he tells Cena.

""Yeah, I get that. Why are you telling me this?""

""Because....yeah? Yeah, yeah yeahyeah, okay,"" Xavier again confers with The Rock over the phone, then announces, once again in a deadpan expression: ""Because The Rock wants you to smell what he's cooking for you right now.""

Cena scoffs, shakes his head looking disgusted and walks off-camera. Xavier follows him, continuing to recite the recipe as the show cuts to commercial.

---

Booker T confirms for the audience that The Rock was indeed sending a message to Cena, to not forget about him and their upcoming match at WrestleMania 28, because he hasn't forgotten, and neither should you! That said, the next match, between two heaveweights: Kane and Kozlov.

Kane, with only his second match back since injury, shows no signs of ring rust as he initially runs over Kozlov. However, as the two of them take the fight out of the ring, the match slows down significantly. Unfortunately, the two of them seem to drag the match on for entirely too long as the crowd seems to lose interest in them, and even some restless chants go out.

Towards the end, after a failed attempt at a Chokeslam, Randy Orton's music hits, and he comes strolling out of the front entrance into the arena. Kane shoves Kozlov out of the way and exits the ring to confront Orton. However, that proves to be a signficant mistake, as Orton beats on Kane then hits a quick RKO. The match is disqualified and Orton stands tall over Kane. Orton then kicks Kane a few more times for good measure.

---

Cameras switch back to the announce team who discuss the Orton interference briefly, and that General Manager Teddy Long is already penciling in a match between Kane and Orton at Night of Champions, thought the motivations for Kane going after Orton remain unclear. Booker T then switches over to Josh Matthews, who did a recent interview with Natalya about her title run under a unified women's roster. They cut to that interview.

Natalya is gracious in her agreeing to do the interview, though a bit smug about how things are going right now. She says that she enjoys running over the entire roster all at once, and no it doesn't get old. Nattie understands just how much fun it is to tear other people apart, and admits it's a little addictive in some ways. The interviewer changes it up to Beth Phoenix, and notes that Natalya has been paying attention to the Glamazon. Natalya acknowledges she has, because Phoenix is the closest thing to actual competition she has.

But Natalya seems to be disappointed. Phoenix could become real competition if she were more aggressive. Instead, she's just a bulked-up wanna-be who isn't willing to take advantage of her own gifts to stand on her own two feet right now. Although she doesn't want to give away any secrets to her would-be competition, that aggression is the key to being a true champion. The interviewer asks if it's about 'ruthless aggression', but Natalya laughs. No, in fact it isn't: it's about being smart with her competition, and not giving any edge away, and making them respect and fear you. Ruthless aggression is just another phrase for being stupid. Natalya smiles and thanks Josh for his time, but even though he has more questions, the interview is now over because she says it is.

---

Daniel Bryan's Money in the Bank Briefcase Open Challenge begins again, and this time....it's Tyson Kidd who answers the call! Shortly after he enters the ring, the Undashing music hits, and Cody Rhodes enters, once again too late. He fumes at ringside for his recurring mistake, but doesn't interfere tonight as Daniel Bryan takes apart his competition.

As Kidd is submitted after a half-decent match, Rhodes with mic in hand, demands Bryan's music be cut, and he demands a shot at that briefcase at Night of Champions. Bryan, retrieving a microphone of his own, agrees to a match, if only so he'll stop this nonsense of harassing him and the others about the open challenge, and to get Rhodes out of his way once and for all.

---

The Main Event begins, and it is between Wade Barrett and Sin Cara for the Intercontinental Championship! Although far smaller than Barrett, Sin Cara shows his stripes as an acrobatic wrestler are no mistake, and put the much larger Barrett on the ground several times. Barrett barely lands much offense to begin with as Sin Cara is entirely too fast for him, and this looks almost like a squash match.

That doesn't last forever, as Barrett finally hits Sin Cara with a clothesline, then another, then bounces off the ropes for a third, and slow the smaller acrobat down. They switch it up as they battle in the ring, then take their fight out of the ring, and Sin Cara appears to be in serious trouble as Barrett slams him into the Spanish Announce Table. However, he rolls the smaller man back in and tries for a three-count to no avail. After a severe headlock, Sin Cara managed to power out of Barrett's grip and land a missile drop kick on him into a corner. Sin Cara climbs the ropes, and lands an elbow right into Barrett's chest. Barrett rolls out of the ring, which turns into a costly mistake. Sin Cara bounces off the ropes for a Tope Suicina! But he isn't done yet, as he gets up on the top rope, then nails Barrett with a Moonsalt and takes them both onto the ground floor!

Sin Cara starts climbing up the ropes once more, but just as he reaches the top rope, Wade Barrett jars the ropes, causing Sin Cara to fall right into them, then hits the floor! Barrett then starts beating him senseless. The referee tries to ply Barrett off to no avail, and the ref calls for the bell, stopping the match. The announcer broadcasts that the referee has stopped the match due to Sin Cara being unable to defend himself. Medics are dispatched to the arena, but Barrett refuses to be done. He pops up Sin Cara onto his shoulders and powerbombs him into the floor! Then he pops him up again and powerbombs him into the Spanish Announce Table, which does not sell. However, the damage is done, and several more referees comes out to restrain Wade Barrett.

SmackDown ends with the sight of Sin Cara being wheeled out on a stretcher, and Barrett hoisting his title smugly above his head.

Overall the show got a B-, weighed down by several weak segments, but the standout of the evening was Xavier Woods and John Cena in a short but memorable segment leaving the crowd wanting more of The Rock's recipes.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Great Smackdown, love the way it's going. I wish I had time to pitch in on booking but whenever I schedule out some time to take a look, something eats it up. If SD needs me to write up a match or segment, though, I can carve out some time. DM me in Discord if so

Thanks, I'll remember to do that. I need some help with booking Night of Champions -- it'll be my first PPV booking, but that's still got more than enough time before it has to go up.

Also, I'm still pissed that I missed out on working with Natalya more when the show was in Calgary. I would've thrown out everything to do a Hart Dungeon-themed show for the women's division.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Apologies, I have to post the mostly barebones version of SmackDown, and also I'm going to be completely MIA the next two weeks. The next event is Night of Champions, which isn't finished. If anyone wants to flesh out and finish it in my absence, feel free. You can adjust the card any way you like. I'll leave notes as to some things I have planned already.

quote:

-Christian opens the evening in Toronto. As this is his hometown, he upsells being home again, where his True Peeps are. He derides the fakers, including Sheamus who doesn't deserve a shot at his title. The crowd goes nuts for Christian, and the seemingly face-like man they came to know and love over the course of his career.

-AJ Lee goes over Rosa. This segment didn't drum up much response from the crowd.

-Sin Cara demands a real shot at the ICC at Night of Champions from Teddy Long despite being bandaged at the moment. Sin Cara struggled with his english, and seemed to try to cut a better promo than he was really capable of doing.

-Daniel Bryan beats a local jobber. Cody Rhodes is on commentary, explaining he's exposing Bryan for the fraud he is, that he hasn't been fighting actual superstars in his so-called open challenge. After the match, Cody steals the briefcase and blindsides Daniel Bryan with it, leaving Cody standing tall in the ring over him.

-Sheamus cuts his own promo for his match against Christian at NoC. Knowing the crowd would never take him at his word, he shows a clip of Christian whinging backstage after he left the ring, complaining about having to pander to those losers tonight, and "there's a reason I don't live here anymore" is spoken by Christian in the clip. This is remarked upon by Striker at the commentary booth.

-Josh Matthews interviews Cena about Mark Henry and dealing with his stable. Cena says that Henry's a bit different than other guys he's faced before, because Henry isn't above doing his own work. Cena respects that, but doesn't respect his toadies, Graves and Langston, getting between the two of them. He mentions Dean Ambrose, and his attack on Langston which Ambrose did on his own, and that Dean will have to deal with the consequences on his own. However, Cena turns hostile when asked about Xavier Woods relaying The Rock's recipe, saying it's stupid having a green kid get involved in their drama. Cena is well-composed, taking most of his issues in stride and is more down-to-earth than he's seemed in months. Showing a bit of humanity and humility over being beaten by Henry goes over extremely well.

-After the commercial break, Natalya comes out to ringside wearing a Calgary Flames jersey, and hoists on a stick a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey. She informs the crowd that the Flames are gonna be champs this season just like she is and makes fun of them for liking A Terrible Team. Gail Kim interrupts Natalya by stealing the Leafs jersey and puts it on, getting into the ring. Natalya gets in the ring with her, and a match is confirmed between the two of them....right now!

-Natalya and Gail pull at each others jerseys during the match until Natalya accidentally rips Gail's Maple Leafs jersey. Gail goes berserk and slams Nattie's face into a turnbuckle until the referee disqualifies her. Gail Kim continues her assault on Natalya, even pulling her jersey off and throwing her out of the ring. Natalya can be heard saying she'll see Gail at Night of Champions before withdrawing.

-The commentary booth begins recounting the sudden reappearance of Kane recently, first by dragging Randy Orton to Hell (or where ever Kane goes in his time off), then by continuing to attack Orton with no provocation. The two of them come out to the ring for a scheduled match, but it doesn't go on very long before the two of them leave the ring. They both are counted out, the match is declared a No Contest. However, despite this, they keep brawling in the arena. After they're pulled apart, Orton grabs a microphone. He demands to know what the hell got into Kane. Orton didn't think he was dumb enough to try to run into an RKO. Kane responds: "I HEARD YOUR VOICES AND THEY WANT TO BE FREE. SO I'M GONNA BREAK YOUR HEAD OPEN." Kane is removed from the building. Booker T confirms shortly afterwards that the two of them are going to have another match at Night of Champions, that one a No-Disqualification match so they can beat the hell out of each other till there's a winner.

-Teddy Long is in his office, exasperated at the amount of work going on at the moment. He tells the person on the other line that he's going to have to call back because Mark Henry, Corey Graves, Big E Langston drag Ambrose into Teddy's office, beaten up already. They demand he be fired for what he did to Langston, who's still wearing a neckbrace. Long refuses, as it looks like they already got back at Ambrose. Further, Long reminds them that they settle their problems in the ring, so Graves can face Ambrose at NoC. Ambrose refuses a 'gentleman's match', saying he's gonna dumpster Graves. Long agrees and sets up a Dumpster Match for the two of them, at Graves' consternation. Teddy reminds Henry that he's going to be too busy to watch because he still has to face John Cena again at NoC himself.

-After the commercial break, Christian waylays Sheamus in the back area, throwing him into the bricks a frew times before Security breaks them up quickly. Teddy Long sees this, and angrily calls a referee over and starts a Street Fight match and tells them to get into the ring to start it. Right now. It's a brutal slugfest that sees both men take normally-illegal shots from one-another. Christian eye-gouges Sheamus and puts him on the mat several times throughout the fight and seems to have it all well in hand until Sheamus hits Christian which takes him out of the fight long enough to be pinned. However, as Sheamus begins a victory walk up the ramp, Christian comes back and waylays him with a steel chair and beats the hell out of Sheamus for the loss. Christian is given his title back and he stands proudly over Sheamus on the catwalk to close out SmackDown with his non-victory, but ensured match at Night of Champions.

Overall ranking: B+

Christian's opening promo and Cena's interview were A* moments, and buoyed the evening overall. The matches were all very solid, but there was criticism of too much set-up for Night of Champions and not enough emphasis on the evening's matches.

• Locked thread