Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm going to lay the smacketh down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think at this point we have 8 dudes on the team and there's only enough show for 5 or so continuous feuds, if that. It's gonna be a tight fit.

Not to let you all too far behind the curtain but my first order of business is to give Matt Striker a gimmicked microphone that translates all his commentary into the "adults talking" sound effect from Peanuts

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SMACKDOWN posted:

We begin this first SMACKDOWN of the post-MITB era with the requisite pyro and the raspy pipes of our Color man, Booker T! He lays out the events of MITB 2011 for casual viewers and says wherever the WWE goes from here is anyone's guess, and we're about to see some big moves being made.

We're also introduced to his dreaded partner in crime, Matt Striker, who has a large apparatus covering the lower half of his face, like a Lecter mask with a speaker built into it. Booker notes that this new contraption was designed to help Striker to find his full potential behind the desk. Striker, looking hyped as ever, apparently explains the situation further, though what comes out of the speaker is less English sentences than a series of sounds not unlike the ones made by parents in Peanuts cartoons. Having given his incomprehensible take, Striker and Booker return to the show at hand.

Christian's theme song blasts through the speakers to kick off the show proper. Christian enters the arena with the World Heavyweight Championship over his shoulder and a poo poo-eating grin on his face. Christian gets into the ring and grabs a mic. He thanks the Cincinnati crowd for a warm welcome and congratulates all of them... for being able to witness the first Smackdown of Christian's glorious second reign! Christian puts over his hard-fought victory over Randy Orton, though on commentary Booker reminds us that Christian won the title by getting kicked in the nuts. "For this special occasion, there is only one man I want to share the ring with. My best friend, Edge!" Christian points to the stage as the fans go nuts.

"...who could not be here tonight." The fans boo the fake-out. Doing his best to hold back laughter, Christian says that Edge totally wanted to be there, though, and Edge texted him wishing him the best of luck in his second reign. Before Christian can go any further, Randy Orton's theme hits, much to the delight of the fans. Orton methodically walks down the ramp, stalking Christian. Eventually, Orton charges into the ring, but Christian immediately rolls outsode. Walking back up the ramp, Christian accuses Orton of being a poor sport. Christian claims that Randy may have ruined his first title run, but now that he has gotten his title back, he has the chance to make things right with one... more... run.

Mark Henry is shown waiting outside the arena, chomping a cigar in a robin's egg blue suit. A black Escalade pulls to the curb and Henry waits as the driver opens the door for an extremely bulky man. Henry extends his hand to the man as he emerges "Langston, you're late."

They shake hands and you can hear fabric straining, the two looking at one another impassively. Henry smiles and nods, puffing smoke from between his teeth, before letting go. He speaks in a deep menacing baritone "Had my eye on you for awhile, glad you could join me here. There's a lot to be done, and while there ain't none of it I can't handle myself... It's good to have a right hand, right?" Langston just nods.

"Come on and I'll lay it all out for you. It's starting tonight. And Langston?... Don't ever keep me waiting again." Henry turns back toward the arena and Langston follows behind, massaging his own hand.

In our first match of the night, Wade Barrett defeats a hirsute, masked jobber in a good 13 minute bout. As the jobber recovers from a missed 450, Barrett ends the match in surprising fashion when he simply clocks his opponent in the head with a gnarly right elbow. Booker T calls it the "Bullhammer Elbow", while Striker interjects with an ecstatic "wah bah wah wah, wahwah wah wah wah".

After kicking the jobber out of the ring, Barrett takes to the mic. "On Sunday night I put everything I had, all my blood and guts on the line to seize the Money In the Bank contract. And I came close, despite the treachery and opportunism of former underlings and conniving nothings. But I've come to terms with something, with who I am. I am a prizefighter. And prizefighters fight for titles, not the chance to contend for titles. On Sunday I lost nothing."

"Which brings me to why I'm here now. Because it's funny, when you go back to the Money In the Bank show and you see talent of all kinds and qualities, fighting for titles and bragging rights, and notice who's not there, what's not being fought over."

He points directly at the camera. "Ezekiel Jackson! You do not respect your prize enough to defend it in the ring. You are nothing, a paper champion, you cheapen your championship. It took my defeat at Money In the Bank to realize that I've not properly fought for a prize, and you've not yet fought a real prizefighter. However you came to that belt, Jackson, you are not a fighter, but I am. And that's why I'm coming for the Intercontinental Championship. Stop me, if you've got the bollocks."

After commercial, John Cena comes out (to his trademark mix of boos and cheers, all robust) and cuts a promo, claiming that his loss at MITB has him humbled, and that he's come to Smackdown not to flee a defeat but to start again in a place where he isn't fighting on behalf of Vince McMahon, where he can represent the company he loves and not its self-serving, ego-maniacal owners.

Cena stops and smirks as Christian's theme music hits and the champ makes his way out from back and down to the ring. Christian is outraged, saying that nobody goes for his title (which he holds aloft) until they prove that they're worthy of the shot.

Cena points out that at no point did he declare contendorship, and urprisingly, he agrees with Christian's sentiment, self-serving as it is. He says the competition is fierce on Smackdown, and even though he could take Christian on his worst day, it would be a poor show of respect to his new home to jump the line and win the WHC on his first night.

Before any further provocation can occur, Cena and Christian are interrupted by none other than Smackdown GM Teddy Long! Long doesn't seem to have heard the exchange, because from the stage he says the momentous arrival of the former Doctor of Thugganomics demands a momentous spectacle (playa). Tonight's main event has Christian putting his title up against John Cena! Both Cena and Christian protest in angry confusion (Christian a little moreso), but Long raises his hand between them, simply refusing to listen. The two men in the ring are left stunned. Christian clutches at his title and rolls out of the ring, cursing on his way up the ramp.

Out of his suit and in his ring gear, Mark Henry takes on the Celtic Warrior Sheamus in a lengthy 19-minute slugfest. At minute 12, things got out of control, as Sheamus accidentally whipped Henry into a corner while the ref was in the way, taking him out for a full 5 minutes during which the brawl spilled out into the crowd. Shortly after the ref regained consciousness, the fight found its way back into the ring and Henry put down Sheamus with the World's Strongest Slam after a rattling headbutt spot. The number "1" appears on the Titantron.

In a pre-taped segment, Natalya states her intention to win the Divas championship at SS. "Kelly Kelly is a disgrace to women's wrestling, and I'm going to bring that title home to a division that values WRESTLING, not eye candy." The interviewer asks how Natalya can win the Diva's title when it is exclusive to RAW--is she switching brands? Nattie responds that the plan is already in motion and that it will become clear on next week's RAW.

Still images are shown of Daniel Bryan's victory in the Smackdown MITB ladder match. Josh Matthews announces Daniel, who enters the arena to a chorus of cheers. Bryan says that for the last year he has fought tooth and nail to prove everyone in the WWE that he has what it takes to be a main eventer.

He says that winning MITB is an opportunity to prove he is the best wrestler in the company, not just by winning the championship but by dominating all his competition in the meantime. He delivers an open challenge - he will face a new opponent every week with his MITB briefcase on the line. When the time comes that he decides to put his contract in play, his record (not to mention his continued ownership of the case) will prove beyond all doubt that he will be a true and deserving champion.

With that, we are given the first match of the Daniel Bryan MITB Open Challenge as Tyson Kidd makes his entrance, ready to take his shot. Pretty back and forth match between the two superstars, as each worker tries to outclass the other in technical wrestling style. Tyson gains the upper hand after an eye rack and goes for the cover, but Bryan comes back after a series of stiff looking elbows and starts to work Tyson's arm. After a top rope maneuver by Tyson fails to connect, Bryan wins by applying a flawless Lebelle Lock. Tyson is forced to tap, and Bryan has claimed the first victory of his Open Challenge. "Wah wahbah wah wah wah wahbah wah", Striker exclaims. We take it to mean that Bryan and Kidd seem to click in the ring.

It's time for the main event! After Cena enters first to his usual fanfare, a sullen-looking Christian follows him. The match plays out like a standard TV main event, starting off with the two competitors acting carefully, measuring each other's abilities, before ramping up into a back-and-forth contest. Christian takes the advantage thanks to his veteran intellect and some minor bending of rules, giving as good as he gets, but Cena looks primed to eventually makes his inevitable comeback.

At the 21-minute mark, the fans are hot and awaiting the outcome of the match, which seems uncertain even given the challenger. As the action reaches its zenith, Mark Henry suddenly saunters out onto the stage, flanked by Langston, still in his suit from earlier. Cena seems to immediately sense that something is amiss, distracted by their sudden entrance and staring in concern as Henry and Langston make their way down the ramp, glaring at him.

With Cena's back turned, Christian sees his opportunity... but before he can hit the Killswitch, Randy Orton jumps from the crowd behind the announcer's table, and before anyone can react he slides into the ring from behind Christian, bowling him over with a thesz press and angry fists. When Cena turns to see this unfold, Langston strikes with terrifying speed, charging into the ring and blasting the Franchise with a shoulder block from behind. The referee, in the midst of chaos all around the ring, calls for the bell. This one's a no contest.

After the bell is rung, Cena begins to fight back against Langston but ends up double-teamed by the World's Strongest Man and not even Cena can drive him away unaided. Meanwhile, Christian manages to push Orton off of him after the unpredictable face gets a thumb in his eye. Christian rolls out of the ring, grabs his title belt and keeps his distance, his eyes fixed on Orton.

Orton makes like he's about to chase his nemesis, but he pauses... and then bullrushes the two heels as they continue their single-minded beatdown! Langston doesn't even see the RKO coming and the relief of pressure is enough to give Cena a foothold, clubbing Henry with right fists until his grip loosens.

Henry drops to one knee, but Orton holds Cena back from going on the counterattack... and for good reason, as it becomes almost immediately clear that Henry has been barely fazed by Cena's burst of offense. He rises to his feet and seethes at the two men across the ring from him. The show of intimidation leaves yet another opening - Orton's too awed to notice Christian slide in from behind and clock him in the back of the head with his belt! Henry seizes his opportunity once more, charging Cena and driving him over the top rope to the outside. SMACKDOWN ends as Henry and Christian stand tall while Orton and Cena lie dazed in and out of the ring.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 7, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh I forgot to mention, the inaugural Smackdown got a B overall, completing the triptych. Given the relative popularity that I assume exists between companies (assuming the mod creator's not a TNA mark), TNA performed exceptionally well this week.

We made a decision in going with a classic WWE overbooking in our main. If the match had been booked with a clean finish and no interference there's no doubt in my mind the show grade would have gone up by at least one increment.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 7, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

The bird segment got an A.

Wish you hadn't revealed this, it kills my theory that you've traded for Tana or Nakamura and are booking him in secret under a bird mask leading up to a big angle

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Here's RAW's half of SuuuuUUUUUUperstars

Here's SD's half. Might be better to just put that booking sheet on the shared / developmental info site.

quote:

Ezekiel Jackson goes over a local talent with a torture rack.

A MITB recap video plays, narrated by Josh Matthews. Starts with footage of Daniel Bryan in nxt and all the humiliating challenges he faced there. Josh emphasises the begginings of Bryan in the WWE and how he has always had a chip on his shoulder. Next we see the nxt invasion and the firing of Bryan because he was "too violent". Bryan's MITB win is presented as a second chance to make history.

Hunico goes over a local talent with an impressive deadlift powerbomb.

AJ Lee vs. Tamina Snuka. Lee goes over with a shining wizard.

Finally, we get a video recap of Christian and Randy Orton's feud so far, casting Orton as elentless avenger and Christian as treacherous manipulator.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lucky for WWE they're PPA appearances so we can poach them as soon as they've gotten over enough for our midcard :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Prograps Unlimited Message Board, "current events and speculation" thread, 7/28/11 posted:

I know some of you guys are sick of my theorizing, fantasy booking, etc but I'm telling you this time I think I really found something. I go to the front page of WWE.com, right? And on top there is a repost of a video from the Draft in April, a video interview there with Mark Henry re: his move to Smackdown and his desire to be champion.

Not that surprising, right? Henry's matched up with Cena for SS. But because I code for a living, I decide to check the article's source, see how they handle their SEO, and there in the tags for the video are the words "a-long-shadow". Pretty weird, right? It gets weirder. First result of that phrase in google is https://a-long-shadow.net. I checked the domain, it was bought out by WWE in March. Currently the page is blank, except for one image, centered and justified:

It doesn't stop there. I checked archive.org, this is the page as it was on April 25, the night of the draft:

It changed again the Wednesday after MITB:

Whoever's playing the game, they've been doing so for awhile now

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So did somebody call Scott Steiner as Fake Scott Steiner before I did or do I win something

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Smackdown for August Week 1 posted:

- Smackdown opens with the announcers talking about the main event - Teddy Long has sanctioned a tag match, with Christian and Mark Henry taking on John Cena and Randy Orton.

Soon enough, Christian's music hits and he makes his way to the ring with a serious look on his face. Christian complains that he's sick of everyone trying to ruin his title run. Christian calls out Teddy for trying to end his championship by booking a title match on the first Smackdown of his reign... again. Christian claims that Cena showed fake humility, but deep down was eager to take advantage of a title shot he didn't deserve. And worst of all, Randy Orton ruined a classic title match Christian was about to win, all because he's a bad sport who can't handle getting beaten by a better man. Christian announces that out of the kindness of his heart, he's going to give Orton one more shot at the title. At Summerslam, the Viper will find out that nothing he can do will stop Christian's One More Run.

- - - - -

- Matt Striker is backstage with a camera crew as Mark Henry and Langston (ne Big E Langston) walk into a surprisingly well-furnished office, indicated as Henry's. Striker tries to get comment from the two about their interference in last week's main event but Langston wordlessly strong-arms him to the wall before he can get close, and gives Striker the evil eye before entering the office and closing the door.

- - - - -

- Our first match of the night is a fatal 4-way to determine the #1 contendership to Kelly Kelly's Diva's title, between Tamina Snuka, Natalya, AJ Lee and Kaitlyn! Tamina and Natalya rush AJ and Kaitlyn before the bell and beat them down before starting a slugfest with each other. The Chickbusters gain the upper hand with some double team maneuvers, but Natalya uses a thumb to AJ's eye and tosses her out of the ring to stop their momentum. Tamina hits the Samoan drop on Kaitlyn and goes to the top rope, but Natalya pushes her off before locking in the Sharpshooter on Kaitlyn for the win.

- - - - -

- Josh Matthews interviews Natalya after her win, asking her to comment on her now-solidified title shot at Summerslam. Natalya says that Kelly Kelly has no idea what she's in for and cannot escape it, and that she will rule over the entire women's division when she brings it to Smackdown as a conquering victor. A long dynasty is about to begin, she says.

- - - - -

- After some chatter from the announcers (discussing, among other things, the wisdom of Teddy Long's divas gambit), we get the in-ring debut of Langston, who faces a reedy-looking local talent. After four minutes of stiff-looking, effortless power offense, Langston ragdolls the jobber with an inverted front powerslam, heretofore referred to as The Dominator. Langston leaves the broken man in the ring and strides back to the stage wordlessly, where Mark Henry in a salmon-hued suit waits stoically, before they return to the back.

- - - - -

- After a commercial break, Christian is shown approaching Mark Henry's office. He's stopped at the door by Langston momentarily, as the big man looms over the flustered champion, but a few moments later Henry waves him through. Christian tries to talk Henry into a long-term arrangement as his enforcer, but Henry roundly rejects him, saying that his years of playing the fool are over. He reminds Christian that this isn't a game, that John Cena and Randy Orton are serious threats, and tells him to keep his head. Henry warns Christian that defeat is intolerable. If Henry has to do Christian's work for him, he'll have to worry about more than Orton soon enough.

- - - - -

- Our next match sees Intercontinental Champion Ezekiel Jackson vs. Hunico, in what could be described as a battle of economy hoss vs. hoss plus in a non-title match. Jackson shows some resilience against Hunico's stiff, spirited offense, and the rudo is a trio of powerslams away from the torture rack that causes him to tap.

- No sooner has Jackson's hand been raised than Wade Barrett comes out to the stage! Barrett tells Jackson to relish the weeks until Summerslam because his days as a champion are fast approaching their end. Jackson raises the IC belt above him, speaking into a mic provided by the ring announcer and telling the Englishman not to forget that he knows Barrett better than anyone, that he is where is despite Barrett's poor leadership and lack of resolve (clearly referring to the Corre, here), and says that he knows Barrett isn't strong enough to take the IC title from its rightful champion. All of which to say that he accepts Barrett's challenge and will see him at Summerslam.

- - - - -

- Our next match is Sheamus vs. Heath Slater, and it turns out the way you might expect. Slater's "offense", such as it is, consists mostly of dodging the Great White. After patting himself on the back for ducking a corner lariat from Sheamus, he turns around to eat a Brogue Kick. Sheamus gets the 3.

- - - - -

- In the back, Josh Matthews is in the locker room with Daniel Bryan. "Daniel, we are now in week two of your MITB open challenge. Do you really think this is a good idea? I mean, last week you said that you haven't gotten many opportunities here, and now that you finally have a chance for the World Heavyweight Championship, are you really going to put that on the line?" The camera pans to Bryan, watching some wrestling show that clearly isn't WWE on a small TV. He turns to the interviewer. "Josh, you're right, I haven't gotten many opportunities here in the past. But we have to look to the future, don't we? Follow me."

Bryan exits the locker room area, walking with purpose through the hallways of the arena, the blue MITB case in hand. Matthews follows behind. "You see Josh, when I first got here all my friends told me that I made it. I was in the best wrestling company in the world. But the way I see it, the WWE can't be the best wrestling company in the world if it doesn’t show the best wrestling in the world…"

Bryan stops at the curtains of Gorilla position. "The most important thing, to me, is putting on a fantastic match every night. For the last year, I haven't done that, and not because I haven't tried. It's because I haven't been challenged. So I'm challenging myself. I'm using this briefcase to demonstrate my worth, not just to the WWE universe but to myself. When I've proven that I have the mettle to be champion, I will be. And there's no better way to do that than by raising the stakes, every single time I step in that ring. I'm putting it all on the line, literally and figuratively. Allow me to demonstrate." Without another word, Bryan steps through the curtain. Both Bryan and Matthews outdid themselves improvising here - the crowd reaction was at least as good as the show-opening world title promo, which is saying something.

- - - - -

- This week's self-imposed challenge is Daniel Bryan vs Brodus Clay. As these things go, a a typical big man versus small man match. Brodus gets the upper hand early in the match with a battering shoulder block as Bryan was running the ropes, getting a 2 count. After a failed Body Avalanche by Brodus, Bryan starts to build momentum, attacking the big man's legs with hard kicks and a triangle choke followed by nasty looking elbows, leading into a snug cobra clutch. Clay is trapped, and has to tap.

- - - - -

- In the back, Randy Orton and John Cena are talking about their upcoming tag team match. Orton makes it clear that the two of them are not friends, but allies of convenience. Cena agrees, telling Orton that while he has by no means forgotten about their history, the sheer power of Mark Henry and the craven opportunism of Christian are going to leave no room for any loss of focus. They agree to put aside the past and prevail, if just for tonight.

- - - - -

- We finally come to our main event, with John Cena and Orton arriving first followed by Mark Henry (flanked by Langston, now in a suit) and the World Heavyweight Champion, Christian. Once the bell rings, it's a solidly even even back-and-forth, with Henry shrugging off everything but double-teams and Cena going hold-for-hold with Christian, until the final minutes, when Orton and Christian both end up depleted after Christian hits two snap suplexes on Orton, only to get knees to the gut on an attempted frog splash. Both men end up crawling for their hot tags. They would both hit at once - but Langston is outside and cuts Cena off the apron! Henry is tagged in and hits the WSS on Orton before Cena can shake Langston and break the pin.

- - - - -

- The post-match soon descends into pandemonium as Cena rams Langston into the barricade to shake him off, then comes to the aid of Orton as Henry is about to beat him down. They double-whip Henry but the big man shoulder blocks them both on the rebound, leaving them reeling. Christian (lurking on the outside since the bell) scrambles up the turnbuckle to hit a frog splash on Cena before he can get up, but does so just as Henry moves to pull up Orton and finds himself at the receiving end of a big RKO! The two haggard teams retreat to their corners and stare each other down from crouch position to end the show.

That's a spicy B grade!

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 15, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here's my feedback on the "competition":

RAW - The idea of a RAW belt tourney is good, as is the Spartacus CM Punk angle. But making Rey Mysterio a direct Punk proxy does the former a real disservice. That Rey believes Punk is the rightful champion makes him look ridiculous in the context of the tournament. And besides, Rey is Gods' Own face but he wasn't a Punk-style tweener, and I can't buy him as one.

Rey Mysterio is the kind of character who when faced with impossible odds, believes in himself and fights on. He's a gutsy face. Punk is a guy who when faced with impossible odds, steps back and questions the legitimacy of the odds and who decides them. There's an obvious element of brazen self-regard and resentment that a character like Punk requires to really work (it's what makes him a tweener - he's a rebel for the right reasons).

Rey Mysterio doesn't have that self-regard or resentment, he's a go-get-em babyface. So right now his gimmick reads as "CM Punk's #1 fan" or, less charitably, a bizarro world version of Big Show taking over for Bryan in the WM30 build. There's just not enough there to sell the idea that Rey naturally became a standard-bearer to the fans who want to see someone other than him. The idea in itself doesn't really work. I would much rather see Rey as his own man, not Punk's hype man. Have Punk send taunting videos to Vince or whatever, have him be his own hype machine. It's what the people in-universe want to see.

Of course, if Punk came back and obliterated Rey for heel heat, that would be another thing. It would also be immeasurably humiliating for Rey, unless you built a long program to make him the actual champ.

TNA: I wasn't expecting the new signees to make an... effect so soon. Purging the low card of chaff was a good move. Shame about all the chaff on the high card. But you'll get there. I like Steiner for absurd segments but the idea of him on top of the company is less interesting - at this point he's got, what, a year or two tops before he completely breaks down?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 15, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm just glad Teddy is still making tag matches
Unfortunately we may have to get him a new gimmick because the only two tag teams we have on roster at this point are Khali / Mahal and the Chickbusters.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

drat TNA got slapped pretty hard in week-to-week numbers. That's what you get for sacking the hot prospect Matt Morgan.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

uhh WOL doesn't exist in this universe, it's all about PGU

Sorry I've been slow on SD posting, Long War 2 came out and then I got drunk

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'll get the SD write up posted today, this weekend was hellish in many ways

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Smackdown For August Week 2 posted:

- Smackdown begins with Christian making his entrance. Christian can barely get out the words "One More Run" before Randy Orton's theme music interrupts him. Orton stalks to the ring and gets in Christian's face, stating that Christian should enjoy his title run while it lasts, because it's not going to last for much longer. "One more run is going to end in one... more... RKO." Barely containing his anger, Christian exclaims that he's getting sick of Orton trying to ruin his championship glory. Christian warns Orton that if he keeps this up, he might not even make it to Summerslam.

Christian and Orton have an intense staredown that looks like it's about to escalate to a fight. But before it can, Cody Rhodes's music hits! Rhodes, clad in his see-through mask, steps onto the stage with a microphone. Cody says that Orton doesn't deserve to be the #1 contender to the World Heavyweight title. Orton lost his temper and got himself disqualified to lose the title, proving that Orton cannot carry himself like a champion. Cody claims that during his time in Legacy, he learned everything about Orton. Indeed, Cody claims that he knows Orton better than Orton knows himself, because Orton is too guided by his violent impulses and the "voices in his head" to be self-aware.

Glaring at his former protege, Orton quietly states that if Cody thinks he knows Orton so well, he's free to try him. Orton says that while he may have to wait until Summerslam to get a piece of Christian, that doesn't mean that he has to wait until Summerslam to get a fight. Orton says that he's sure Teddy Long is watching, so Orton is going to come down to Teddy's office, and when he gets there, Teddy better have the match booked. Orton leaves the ring, briefly getting up in Cody's face, before turning his back to the two men gunning for him tonight.

- - - - -

- Our first match of the night is a quick one, as Natalya defeats Alicia Fox with the Sharpshooter. Natalya keeps the hold on for a few seconds longer after the bell, and when she finally releases it she yells a warning into the camera directed at Kelly Kelly.

- - - - -

- The second match is almost as quick as the first one, as Wade Barrett makes short work of Trent Baretta, nailing the hapless face with a right elbow that turns his legs to jelly.

- After the match, Barrett pulls an out-of-it Trent to seated upright position (upright as he can get, at least), then dashes against the ropes to hit a diving right elbow that knocks Baretta out cold. As the ref checks on his opponent, Barrett yells at the camera, saying that Ezekiel Jackson has his prize and this is what it takes to earn it.

- - - - -

- John Cena is shown in the back, making his way toward Teddy Long's office with purpose. When he strides into the office, Long is there, looking sheepish dwarfed by two men flanking him - Langston and a slender man with a slicked haircut and a black and red suit, the evidence of heavy tattooing protruding from his suit sleeves and collar. The man introduces him as "Mr. Graves" and claims to be "Mr. Henry's" liaison to Smackdown management, here to ensure Henry's interests are represented and respected.

Cena is unimpressed, says he doesn't care who Graves is or what his position is, he's here to make sure Long puts a stop to the constant interference by Henry's lackeys. At this, Langston steps up, starting a staredown that Cena doesn't flinch from - he just calmly tells the newcomer to watch where he steps, or he might regret it. Graves acts conciliatory from behind Langston's wall-like frame, saying that all parties are in agreement and that Long will deploy extra security tonight to make sure show plans go as scheduled.

Cena looks to Long, who just nods, unblinkingly. Cena shakes his head in exasperation and leaves the office, as Langston stares after him and Graves cracks a slow smile, hands in his suit pockets. (Langston just doesn't have the presence to carry in a segment like this, but the Graves guy was smooth on the mic and held his own with Cena. Not bad for a first-time appearance).

- - - - -

- No sooner had the camera feed cut out than John Cena's music hit, to the mixed delight of the crowd. The Great Khali was waiting motionless in the ring for their match. Continuing the night's trend, Cena ducks Khali's heavy blows and fights out of a vice grip easily before effortlessly bringing the giant up for the match-ending AA. Even though Long made good on his word to supply extra black-clad security (lining the ramp and outside), Cena seemed on edge throughout the match, looking out for interference that never came. He looked relieved as his hand was raised.

- - - - -

- After a break, we get tonight's Daniel Bryan MITB Open Challenge match, this one against a developmental talent coming up for a shot at the main roster (he seems... dirty, somehow). The cocky rookie has the hubris to try and match Bryan hold for hold, and while he puts up a decent fight, he can't help but tap to an unbreakable guillotine choke. (btw, the new security guys were still there throughout)

- - - - -

- After the match, Josh Matthews appears for an in-ring interview. He remarks that this victory for Bryan must have been an easy one coming against a wrestler in training, but the grappler vehemently disagrees. "The idea that I choose my opponents to make this easy couldn't be further from the truth. I have fought just about any capable wrestler on the WWE roster, I know them and I know how to beat them. But what these FCW guys lack in experience, they more than make up for in passion and drive, things that you can never quite predict, things you can never take lightly. Johnny Curtis, the Rotunda boys, Titus O'Neill... To prove that I'm the best in the present, I test myself against the future. Don't dismiss these guys. I don't when I'm in the ring with them. And it only makes me better." (this was, btw, an out-of-the-blue triumph of delivery by Bryan. By the end of it you'd think they'd shipped in a crowd from 1999. On par with the hottest main event talent segments tonight).

- - - - -

- We take another break, after which we get a face off between Langston (shedding his suit for ring gear as he passes the burly security men down the ramp) versus a young, strutting jobber by the name of Xavier Woods. Woods tries some basic mat grappling to neutralize the big man's strength advantage but it doesn't work, Langston reversing a side headlock into an impressive deadlift samoan drop. Langston hits the Dominator and it's all over.

- After the match, none other than Mark Henry casually strolls down to the ring, in a powder white suit and a cigar in his mouth. Langston waits expectantly for him in the ring, and when Henry takes his place at the side of the ring, he simply nods at his protege.

Without warning, Langston leaps over the still- fallen Woods and rebounds the ropes with startling grace, before jumping to get even more startling air on a big body splash. Woods writhes in pain and Langston gets up to look at Henry again, who just stares. Again Langston leaps into action to hit a second splash, which causes Woods to flop around like a fish on deck. As Langston looks to Henry for a third time, the green lights start flashing and we hear John Cena's music once again!

Cena comes sprinting out of the back to stop the violence to a cheer from the crowd, but before he can make it halfway down the ramp, the amassed security swarms him, not giving an inch. Langston looks back to Henry, who nods again, then runs for a third splash that leaves Woods limp. As he does so, an audible roar is heard as Cena breaks through security like a freight truck through drywall, sprinting again for the ring in a rage.

But Langston just slides out to the announcer's ringside where Henry waits. With Cena fired up in the ring, Henry and Langston begin walking to the back, security stepping out of the way with deference. Cena taunts and goads them loudly but neither even turn to acknowledge the man, leaving him fuming under the spotlights.

- - - - -

- Our main event is, by the will of Teddy Long, Randy Orton vs. "Disfigured" Cody Rhodes! Meanwhile the World Heavyweight Champion, Christian, joins the commentary desk for haughty and angry critique of the match.

The two former Legacy members square off, Randy looking nervy with anticipation and Rhodes looking focused, and they tie up before breaking into a fistfight that Orton gets the upper hand on, causing Cody to retreat to the outside. From there it's a lot of outside brawling, with count restarts, use of barricade and steps to take bumps, and some trash talk between Orton and Christian. During the melee, Cody hits Orton from behind and knocks him into Christian at ringside, before bringing him back into the ring to set up the Cross Rhodes. But as he turns, Orton spins out of the move, rolling to a crouched position, and launching into the air for an RKO out of nowhere on the recovering Rhodes! It gets the 3.

- Literally seconds after the 3 is counted, Orton is recovering and lets his guard down enough for Christian to rush in, smashing the WHC belt plate on the back of his head! Christian is a man possessed, battering his rival with the belt to deafening boos, before tossing it aside and standing over him, panting for a few moments, still and looking down. Then he seems to have a thought, as he brings up Randy and irish whips him arm-first into the ring post! He wastes no time pulling up his rival and doing the same for the other post across the ring. Through his translator, Matt Striker expresses shock at this sudden attack, but Booker T points out that Christian is employing a smart strategy - presumably, a healthy arm is critical to pulling off an RKO at full strength.

Christian stomps on Orton's right arm and shoulder with abandon and vitriol, again and again as the bell continually rings. He finally looks out to the jeering crowds with a pinched, dawning look in his face, then sets Orton up in the middle of the ring - rather than go for his patented Killswitch, he leaves Orton on the ground, tangling the opponent's left arm around his foot and bracing the back against his legs. He grabs Orton's right arm by the hand, stretching it out in front of him as both the commentary booth and the collective crowd begin to cry out in anticipation and shock - but before Christian can go through with what was sure to be a vicious maneuver, multiple refs storm the ring and break it up! He's crowded to the other side of the ring, but not before he can grab his title and hold it aloft as the crowd roars its disapproval to end Smackdown.

A real preponderance of low-card talent out this week, and new guys featured prominently, so the episode suffered a bit. B- this time.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 20, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It looks like I might be the only SD writer still kicking, I can pledge to carry it through SS if I have to but after that it's gonna be pretty rough going it alone.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

iirc it's a 2012 mod that's been rolled back manually.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wrote up a whole episode before realizing it's one we already posted :picard:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Smackdown for August Week 3 posted:

We're taped from Sacramento, CA this week on SMACKDOWN!

- - - - -

- Christian comes out for a show-opening promo, looking quite smug with his title slung over his shoulder. But as he's walking down the ramp, Randy Orton jumps him from behind! Orton wails on the champ, who manages to roll over the steel steps to get some distance before scrambling over the barricade and away through the crowd. Before Orton can pursue him, Smackdown general manager Teddy Long's music hits.

Long comes out to the stage in a huff, announcing that since it's his responsibility to safeguard the Summerslam main event (playa), he's keeping his two main eventers away from one another tonight - each will have their own singles match, but are not to touch one another until Sunday. Orton smolders at ringside as Teddy struts to the back.

- - - - -

- Our first match of the night is Sheamus vs. The Great Khali. The Great White makes quick work of the Punjabi giant[/b] in 4:42, taking the behemoth to his knees with unrelenting offense and getting the pinfall after a Brogue Kick.

- - - - -

- Backstage, Cody Rhodes is being interviewed about last week's loss to Randy Orton, when Ted Dibiase Jr. walks into the frame. Dibiase says he doesn't know what happened to the man who stood alongside him as part of Legacy. Rhodes says the past must be buried, and he'll be happy to bury Dibiase if he doesn't think so. Dibiase responds that if it's a challenge, he accepts.

- - - - -

- Elsewhere backstage, Ezekiel Jackson is being interviewed by Matt Striker as Wade Barrett comes out of nowhere and attacks him, throwing him into a coat rack and battering him with punches. We see that although Jackson was caught flat-footed initially, Barrett's attacks begin to lessen their effect as the Intercontinental gives less and less to the strikes, slowly rising straight despite the onslaught. Barrett notices this and before Jackson can get fully into fighting shape, rears back to unleash a Bullhammer that sends the champ thudding onto the concrete. Sweating and scowling, Barrett turns to the camera and taps his elbow before walking away.

- - - - -

- Back in the ring, Joey Styles confirms that Cody Rhodes vs. Ted Dibiase Jr. has been confirmed for later in the night, as Natalya's music hits and she walks down the ramp with her gregarious smile and arms in the air. She doesn't acknowledge the local talent already in-ring whatsoever as she tries to work the crowd. The bell rings and Natalya allows the local talent to get some offense in, barely selling any of it until the local girl hits a surprise neckbreaker and goes for the pin. Natalya kicks out and the smile is off her face as she nails the local talent with a discus clothesline and immediately puts her in the Sharpshooter. The local talent writhes in agony and taps.

- After the match is over, Natalya shows the replay of her attack on Kelly Kelly on this week's RAW. "On Sunday, I won't have to go out of my way to do that to you again. And after I win at SummerSlam and the Divas Division comes to Smackdown, you won't have anywhere to hide."

- - - - -

- Two thirds of Legacy square off as Cody Rhodes faces Ted DiBiase Jr.. They take it slow for a bit with alternating headlocks until Rhodes escalates and they each get in decent offense. However, as DiBiase attempts to finish Rhodes with the Dream Street, Rhodes counters into the Cross Rhodes to get the pin with a vengeance.

- A highly agitated Rhodes declares that he may have lost to Orton last week, but he can still get the job done, as evidenced by his present handiwork. The Disfigured One guarantees that one way or another, very soon, he is going to be the #1 Contender to the WHC.

- - - - -

- Our next match is a traditional squash between Vladimir Kozlov and a local talent, already waiting for his beating in the ring. Kozlov wastes no time going after him, blasting him every chance he got and not getting much resistance in turn. He ends the match with the Iron Curtain and puts the poor man out of his misery.

- - - - -

- Backstage in Teddy Long's office, the GM looks chastened as John Cena paces back and forth. Cena says he counts on Long to keep the peace backstage and after last week's debacle with security, he doesn't know if he can trust management. Long reassures Cena that he's doing his best to hold things down, but warns him that Henry's reach is long. Cena says he won't be intimidated, whether it's backstage or in the ring. He reminds Long that he and Henry have to sign the contract for their Summerslam match tonight.

Cena's countenance darkens as Mr. Graves walks through the door and interjects. He says that last week's security was contracted to safeguard the company's talent, and as such they were under strict instructions not to bring Cena to any harm, though he regrets if any inconvenience was caused. Cena asks pointedly where security was when Xavier Woods was being brutalized, and Graves says with a smirk that their contract specified protecting important talent. Cena bristles, but Long cuts in, saying that he was very firm in excluding extra security from the ring area during tonight's contract signing. He pleads with Cena to not let things deteriorate into chaos. Cena promises that he will not start a fight, but if Henry tries anything, Cena will not hesitate to retaliate, before he brushes roughly past Graves and leaves.

- - - - -

- The first of the night's main event matches sees Christian take on Harry Smith. Their match begins in earnest with Christian using newfound aggression against his opponent, beating him with forearms early in the match and forcing a two-count early. Harry Smith fights back with some effectiveness, though he's obviously rattled at the relentlessness that seems new in Christian. It's during this time that Smith is thrown at the ropes and instead of bouncing back, he holds onto them. Christian could be heard saying on a nearby microphone 'C'mon c'mon c'mon!' to get Smith back on the right page. Shortly afterwards, Smith is bounced to the ropes once more, he hangs on and Christian clotheslines him out of the ring, making it obvious Smith jumped the gun.

After Smith is put back into the ring, the rest of the match goes as expected. Christian smashes him further and ends it with a Killswitch. However, as the bell rings after his three-count, Christian then puts Harry Smith into the same position he briefly Randy Orton in last week! Christian stretches Smith's arm up, and for a moment it's as if no one on commentary or in the crowd believes he could possibly go through with it - but then he does, as he falls backward with force, snapping Smith's arm behind him at an unnatural angle. Smith screams in agony while the referee backs Christian off him and calls for medics to tend to him and the crowd jeers.

- Immediately after the match, Harry Smith is escorted to the back with the medics, Christian demands a microphone from a nearly assistant. He looks into the WWE Universe with a baleful look in his eyes as the crowd boos him.

"It has been my dream to win the World Heavyweight Championship my whole career," he hoists the belt over his head. "And you, my so-called Peeps, disrespected me at Money In The Bank by cheering Randy Orton when he sent me through a table. You're disrespecting me now. And the truth is you've never respected me, which is why you all thought I couldn't beat Randy Orton! And yet... now I have arrived, despite all of you!"

"I'm through fighting for your respect. I'm through fighting Randy Orton to prove I'm better than he is, because that is not and should never have been in dispute. I'm fighting, and beating, and hurting Randy Orton because he refuses to recognize the obvious. Randy Orton? He would have just been a footnote in the history of my great reign. But because he refused to stay down, and because you all encouraged him, I'm going to inflict such an amount of pain on Randy Orton that his entire career will be a footnote in the history of this business."

The crowd boos him but he laughs. "That's fine, that's fine. You'll all get to watch it happen. But I want to remember, when Randy's sent home with all his torn ligaments and broken bones and ruined joints, it will be because you demanded it. Maybe then, you might learn to respect me." Christian throw the microphone behind his shoulder as his music hits and he exits the arena without looking at a single member of the crowd on his way out.

- - - - -

- Back from a break, Daniel Bryan's theme kicks in and he strides into the arena with the Money in the Bank Briefcase slung over his shoulder. Jinder Mahal, already in the ring, is psyched up ready to take on Bryan. The bell rings and Jinder makes his last mistake of trying to assault Bryan with a flurry of hits before Bryan fights him off. Bryan kicks him time and time again then puts him into the LeBell Lock when he hits the ground. After a brief struggle, Jinder is irrefutably hindered, and he taps.

- "SACRAMENTO!" Bryan shouts into a microphone after the match is over. "Are you ready for SummerSlam?" he asks the crowd. Just as if he seems ready to go off, Josh Matthews scrambles into the ring like an overeager child.

"Daniel, congratulations on your victory tonight," Josh begins. "With SummerSlam coming up, do you have any plans to continue your open challenge or are you going to cash it in on the grand stage?" Daniel looks slightly miffed at the blatant question but works with it anyways. "Josh, I'll make this easy for everyone in the locker room watching. At SummerSlam...." he waits for a moment, seeing if the crowd gets antsy, then continues on. "The Money in the Bank Briefcase will be up for another Open Challenge! Anyone who wants to take a crack at me in LA, bring your A-Game! I'll be waiting!" Matthews was sort of a wet blanket here, especially given last week's electric promo in the same vein.

- - - - -

- Finally we arrive at our last match of the night, Randy Orton vs. Heath Slater! Throughout his entrance, the One Man Band's tries to psych himself up in the midst of heavy heckling, but his efforts at composure fail when he hears the music of the Apex Predator. The crowd is eager and chants 'RKO,' but just before Orton enters the ring, Slater bails. Orton beckons Slater to return, but his prey keeps his distance, triggering more boos and chants. "Get your rear end in this ring or I'll put you in it," is Orton's final warning as Slater creeps toward the entrance ramp shaking his head. Fed up, Orton slides under the ropes and chases Slater down!

He tackles his target and lays in with fists, beating his face in before hoisting him on his shoulder and walking back to the ring. As he closes in, Slater slides himself off Orton's shoulder and shoves him towards the ringpost! Orton hits hard on the shoulder that Christian battered last week, and Slater takes his opportunity, rolling the disoriented Viper into the ring and ordering the ref to ring the bell. The official asks Orton if he's okay to fight, and despite being hurt, Orton nods.

The bell rings and Slater pounces! Much of the match is dominated by a one-sided pummeling of Orton by Slater, with some minor semblance of offense by Orton, usually just enough to push Slater off. Slater focuses on head and neck shots, every so often trying for a cover, but Orton manages to kick out. Things turn around when Orton hits the Draping DDT, but his shoulder seems to be hurting him, and he collapses to the mat. The ref begins to count, but Orton is back on his feet by 8! He drags Slater up and begins laying in punches with his left hand, then bounces Slater off the ropes into his high-speed Power Slam! Drawing his right arm in, he crouches and slams his left hand into the mat, signaling the end for Slater. Slater stands... and Orton delivers the RKO! The 3-count is academic. He winces as the ref raises his right hand in victory.

- - - - -

- After a final break, Mark Henry, flanked by Langston, enters the arena. He pays no mind to the booing crowd in his charcoal grey suit, cigar clenched between his teeth, as he enters the ring and leisurely takes a seat in an elegant leather chair at the table upon which the Henry / Cena contract for Summerslam sits.

The crowd pops as rrrrapido! blares through the speakers and John Cena makes his entrance. Henry watches him dispassionately as he enters the ring, a sudden chill hanging over the proceedings. Cena stands across the table from the seated Henry and they stare down for a good 15 seconds. Cena then sets his jaw and without a word, takes the contract and signs it, tossing it directly into the barrel chest of Henry, who doesn't even flinch.

Henry chuckles to himself, places the contract in front of him, and draws a golden, fountain--tipped pen from his coat pocket. He draws from the cigar, then ashes it nonchalantly on the table, dips the pen in the ashes, and signs his name on the contract. He looks Cena square in the eye... and like clockwork, Langston attacks Cena from behind! Langston maintains the upper hand for just a few moments before Cena blasts back with right hands and lifts the heavy onto his shoulders for a fluid AA that sends the man through the table!

The crowd pops huge for this, obviously, but Henry is still sitting and watching, no tension or concern visible on him, even as his right hand man lies limp on the canvas beside him. Cena yells at him to get up. Henry regards him coolly for a moment, then rises, straightening his jacket from the gust caused by Langston's fall, and brushing bits of wood from the table off his trousers. He steps directly to Cena... and without warning, spits his cigar straight in Cena's face! Cena is stunned enough that Henry strikes, lifting his opponent effortlessly, and strolls around to face the chair he was sitting in, intent on putting Cena through it - surely a much harder landing than any table bump.

But as he lifts Cena up, Cena reacts, using his momentum to slip from Henry's grasp and roll up and over his back. Henry whirls around... only to be immediately hoisted onto Cena's shoulders! Henry is launched in a spectacular arc and crashes straight into the chair, which shatters and bends under his weight, leaving him bent over the rubble. Cena retreats from the ring, rubbing the ash from his eyes up the ramp.

As he reaches the halfway point he stops as he hears the crowd roar, and turns to see Henry already risen from the heap, somewhat heavy breathing and a torn jacket sleeve being the only apparent evidence of any struggle on his part. Henry, noticing the damage to his suit, literally tears the jacket off his own back, hurling it out of the ring toward Cena. He then lifts the bent remains of the chair and throws it to the foot of the ramp with one hand. Cena and Henry glare at one another from across the arena to close out Smackdown.

A B show overall, somewhat hurt by the preponderance of low card matches.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Great Smackdown, love the way it's going. I wish I had time to pitch in on booking but whenever I schedule out some time to take a look, something eats it up. If SD needs me to write up a match or segment, though, I can carve out some time. DM me in Discord if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So is Big Poppa Pump refusing to job to Steen or what

• Locked thread