Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

forkboy84 posted:

We should leave the EU & create our own, with blackjack and hookers and nationalised industries. And we won't invite the Germans or Luxembourgish? Luxembourgers? Cunts from Luxembourg won't be welcome

I've been called Luxembourgian, Luxembourgese, Luxian, mainly because people find "Luxemburger" sounds hilariously like a variant meat sandwich.

(I'm actually just British :ssh: )

Edit: In 187-1, Luxembourg's borders changed, for a change.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

This all could have been averted if Big Gordon Brown had called an election 10 years ago

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

I take pleasure in lots of things.

Currently none of that pleasure is derived from UK politics - which is the topic of this thread.

Here you go - your boy Big Tone saying brexit can be stopped by blocking Article 50letting everyone see how bad the final deal ends up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

I've been called Luxembourgian, Luxembourgese, Luxian, mainly because people find "Luxemburger" sounds hilariously like a variant meat sandwich.

(I'm actually just British :ssh: )

Edit: In 187-1, Luxembourg's borders changed, for a change.

If you get posh enough you could be Luxembourgeois.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

marktheando posted:

Trying to appeal to Brexiters with this article 50 shite while still being pro-immigration is just a really stupid position. Doesn't Corbs realise the entire referendum was about immigration? That these people hate Labour for not being racist enough and letting immigrants in under Blair?

But if you follow that thought process, the party would have to become what it hates to achieve electoral success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65jqrHQi_c

Sorry, I don't normally post youtube videos, but this did make me chuckle. Life accordion to Trump.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Disabilitychat. There's two models of disability, medical and social. A lisp is the latter.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I've said it before but it's really not undemocratic at all to not buy in 100% to a close referendum result obtained by outrageous deceit, and when circumstances have changed to make the decision look less favourable. And it's stupid to say that the decision, which had no timetable or details, means Labour should sign off on any timetable and any procedural details an unelected Tory PM decides. And sure, the right wing media will attack Labour for this decision, but since when has Labour party policy been decided by what plays well with the Daily Mail?

Spangly A posted:

is anybody stupid enough to actually think remaining in the eu is possible?

yeah the three line whip is still alarmingly stupid but I just cant bring myself to care. A second referendum, with at least 55% remain would make it possible but people would legit get killed. Pick a hill to die on and that.

Brexit will legit kill people.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fangz posted:

Brexit will legit kill people.

Who? How?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Stress from worse working conditions? Worse health care from NHS privatisation as a result of trade deals?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The poor, the sick, those in need. The usual Tory targets who they're already killing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:ironicat:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Economic collapse will put the squeeze on public services up and down the country = people dying

Widespread job losses impacting headlong with tory cuts to benefits = people dying

Loss of scientific cooperation on topics ranging from energy generation to climate change = people dying

Harmonising UK laws and public services with Trump America = people dying

Pulling out of European law with respect to human rights = people being tortured and then dying

That's not to mention additional risks like the loss of international cooperation leading to increased risk of war, and shutting the door on immigrants/refugees in poorer countries which basically fucks them over. Also if we go with this strategy of cutting corporation tax to draw corporations from elsewhere then we're spreading economic misery internationally.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 31, 2017

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''
https://mobile.twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/826440434805248000
Anyone heard any more on this?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Amazing, they're closing literally the only two job centres in this area and so anyone who needs to use their services will have to travel 15 miles and three towns over to get to their nearest. Thats some bullshit.

You've got to feel for the Job Centre Staff*, enforce draconian and pointless bureaucracy for the Tories only for them to close your job post and force you to travel 15 miles to get put through that same draconian and pointless bureaucracy alongside the same people you sanctioned just months previous.

* You don't have to feel for them at all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mulholland really doesn't want to vote against Article 50, nor do Norman Lamb.

In Lamb's case, it's understandable; his constituency went 60% Leave, I believe. But I don't get Mulholland, as Leeds North West, at 64% remain, almost certainly dragged Leeds as a whole into the Remain column.

I imagine some ears are going to be boxed to at least ensure they don't vote for it.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 31, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mullholland released a statement saying he's abstaining.

https://gregmulholland.org/en/article/2017/1199233/statement-on-my-position-on-the-vote-on-article-50-the-eu-withdrawal-bill

Lol if you believed in the Sun.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lamb's also abstaining.

The only other possible rebellion that I've heard is possible is John Pugh, but he's a Farron loyalist through-and-through so he'll probably follow him through the lobby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's, what, three lib dems?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
How can 3.375 MPs revolt? Or does wikipedia lie to me and the lib dem have more than 9 MP?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Junkozeyne posted:

How can 3.375 MPs revolt? Or does wikipedia lie to me and the lib dem have more than 9 MP?

3 is 37.5% of 8.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Oh yeah not counting Farron himself makes sense.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I tried to figure it out on a calculator but got bored and wrote Boobies instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junkozeyne posted:

Oh yeah not counting Farron himself makes sense.

Easy to understand, he's quite forgettable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean given the lib dem's presence in parliament it's probably fair to represent personal ambivalence statistically, so it is possible that one third of a lib dem MP will be against the party position.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
On that note UKIP has impressive party unity, considering 100% of their MPs will vote for the same thing :downs:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

On that note UKIP has impressive party unity, considering 100% of their MPs will vote for the same thing :downs:

The polls that have about 5% of UKIP voters opposing Brexit always make me laugh.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/philhornbyitv/status/826490272569765888

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

What a weird position to take.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

The polls that have about 5% of UKIP voters opposing Brexit always make me laugh.

I'm sure that some people take the piss on the polls though because you always get stuff like a tiny proportion of people who claim to be both far-left and planning to vote for the Tories or far-right and voting Labour.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm sure that some people take the piss on the polls though because you always get stuff like a tiny proportion of people who claim to be both far-left and planning to vote for the Tories or far-right and voting Labour.

They could be accelerationists or NazBols. :shrug:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Immigrants, bricks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess he won't vote to support it without the amendments which makes sense.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If true that would mean the whip is coming out at the third reading?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

I would hope not, that definitely should be a free vote if the amendments don't pass. Forcing Labour to vote for the shittiest brexit doesn't accomplish anything that I can determine. I guess the idea is to vote against it at the end of the negotiations but I don't see the point in trying to force Labour MPs representing remain constituencies to vote for brexit without the prospect of any material gain such as might be afforded by the amendments.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

is anybody stupid enough to actually think remaining in the eu is possible?

yeah the three line whip is still alarmingly stupid but I just cant bring myself to care. A second referendum, with at least 55% remain would make it possible but people would legit get killed. Pick a hill to die on and that.

I find it odd that you of all people is scared of a fascist backlash. Do we not already expect violence and murder from the far right? You don't give up in the face of violence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Sounds like it. If thats the case I wont be voting for Corbyn again in the inevitable leadership election.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TinTower posted:

Ah, but you see, Jeremy is playing eleven-dimensional chess to deliver a true worker's Brexit.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

No Lib Dem MP has said they'll voting for Brexit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

An abstention is as good as a vote for, in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TinTower posted:

"we're the party of remain"

*abstains*

*enters coalition with Tories again*

• Locked thread