Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

serious gaylord posted:

They'd all choose wills and kate in a heartbeat.

Also I wonder if this will get any coverage in the papers?

https://twitter.com/withorpe/status/815634187562713089

That Guardian article is from 2015, but I don't remember it getting much coverage then either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Sorry, missing some context, hows Charles going to wind up commonwealth nations?
The head of the Commonwealth is currently Elizabeth II, however it's a nominated non-hereditary life office for a nominee accepted by the Commonwealth members, so there's no guarantee that it'll go to Charles.

She wants it to go to Charles though, and it probably will because any nominee by any of the other members will receive more opposition from other member blocs than just going the option of least resistance.

Steve2911 posted:

Also why is the Commonwealth still a thing?
It's pretty popular, especially in Brunei, Malaysia, and some of the East African members. It's least popular in the nations that immediately come to mind when you think Commonwealth, like the UK and Australia.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

It's pretty popular, especially in Brunei, Malaysia, and some of the East African members. It's least popular in the nations that immediately come to mind when you think Commonwealth, like the UK and Australia.

Except Canada. Canada LOVES the Monarchy, probably as they live next to the USA so get to witness close to home see the perils of the common alternative.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Nah, see, yanks love the queen and Canada's just a smaller, colder version of the US where people can spell correctly and aren't left to die poor and alone if they get ill so they love the queen too.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

lol, "People like me", I wonder what that means.

I wish I knew what the gently caress is going to happen post Brexit button pushing but pre it actually happening. Pretty worried that staying in the UK is going to be difficult at best.

He probably thinks you're "Urban".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Pms are for creepy weirdos imho

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I find myself wondering what kind of people he does gently caress off for and if there are any ways to contact such people.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You do realise the obsession you have with these PM's are the entire reason they get sent right?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
People that don't like Corbyn. Like racists and Tories.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

You do realise the obsession you have with these PM's are the entire reason they get sent right?

It's our obsession with Pissflaps being a creepy weirdo that's the problem.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
So have you Brexited yet?
~Regards, a continental.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Pissflaps is just misunderstood guys.

You just don't know him like I do, if you did you'd change your tune.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Not yet. I think the current plan is to punt it into the long long grass by praying for a Eurozone crisis around Marchtime and being able to say 'now is not the time' and waiting for racists to die off

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

Not yet. I think the current plan is to punt it into the long long grass by praying for a Eurozone crisis around Marchtime and being able to say 'now is not the time' and waiting for racists to die off

I read a story that said if the vote was held now enough old people have died and been replaced with youngsters that remain would win. Who knows if thats true or not but it amuses me.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Total Meatlove posted:

I thought this to a while back but then May ramped up the brexit means brexit rhetoric way past what she had to which made me think she's really going to do it.

Which is despicable when you take into account how she herself knows full well how disastrous it would be.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

serious gaylord posted:

I read a story that said if the vote was held now enough old people have died and been replaced with youngsters that remain would win. Who knows if thats true or not but it amuses me.

There's also enough who've admitted they wouldn't vote the same again, and those who complacently didn't go out to vote because they assumed remain would win.
I wouldn't be surprised if a second referendum would be a landslide for remain.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Edison was a dick posted:

I would be completely and utterly amazed if that turned out to be the case.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's also enough who've admitted they wouldn't vote the same again, and those who complacently didn't go out to vote because they assumed remain would win.

There's also the people that voted for remain but wish all the remoaners would shut up and accept the outcome who would probably switch sides out of spite.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I would, because the vote was "do you want the established politics of this country and indeed continent to gently caress off", which has seldom been more tempting.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The new pound coins are set to be brought in in March. To bring two stories together, some naughty people are suggesting they should wait a while as the "heads" side may have to be altered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HJB posted:

The new pound coins are set to be brought in in March. To bring two stories together, some naughty people are suggesting they should wait a while as the "heads" side may have to be altered.

Numismatists everywhere just developed huge throbbing erections.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought this to a while back but then May ramped up the brexit means brexit rhetoric way past what she had to which made me think she's really going to do it.

Which is despicable when you take into account how she herself knows full well how disastrous it would be.

On the other hand it's completely meaningless and nobody cares so she could just go

brexit...

as she backs out of the room whenever it's brought up, forever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is the only thing she can say to not reveal there is any plan at all

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I imagine that, in every media organisation, one of the first things on the agenda when people get back to work is an urgent review of their contingency plan to be activated in the event of the Queen's death.
They'll all have obits and features pre-written and once a year they'll check whether anything specific needs adding. Then it's just a case of getting the intern to put the right date/age/cause of death in and hit publish.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm sure there's a plan, it's just a very bad plan. They don't want to reveal it in advance because people will start publicly tearing it apart and calling for the whole thing to be scrapped (while the other side doubles down and screams for IMMEDIATE BREXIT) and the government will be caught in the middle

It's just easier for them to say absolutely nothing until the negotiating process has begun, then it becomes us vs them, everything can be blamed on the pernicious euros, and any critics at home can be painted as the enemy who don't want the best outcome for britane

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, my understanding is with Baka in this.

Although i'm feeling there's plenty of 'us vs them' already and i'm not certain if this is possible to fix at this point.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm so happy you find the rise of fascism so loving amusing. I guess it's single handedly Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Clearly not single handedly, but he's certainly part of the problem.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 2, 2017

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

jBrereton posted:

I would, because the vote was "do you want the established politics of this country and indeed continent to gently caress off", which has seldom been more tempting.

True, but I saw a lot of people who voted for brexit as a protest go "oh gently caress, I thought this was a safe protest vote because it couldn't win and gently caress me over".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
24% is really bad, though. The last time that Labour were that low was just before their September 2009 conference.

On a uniform swing, this would be a Tory majority of 84.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

TinTower posted:

24% is really bad, though. The last time that Labour were that low was just before their September 2009 conference.

On a uniform swing, this would be a Tory majority of 84.

Its reportedly the lowest they have polled in opposition since the early 80's. Its really loving bad, and even Corbyn will realise how awful it is.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

For something a bit different: An Argentinian Ministry has gotten into trouble for a certain omission, see if you can spot it:

https://twitter.com/MDSNacion/status/815180902263377920

They apologised later:

https://twitter.com/MDSNacion/status/815897661098328064

"Our apologies for the error of the design department in the end of year greetings."

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Sorry for retreating a bit, but just wanted to link something relating to people discussing Brexit voters changing their minds post-referendum - some interesting thoughts and poll discussion here from Anthony Wells, Research Director at YouGov;

Where public opinion on Brexit stands

Self-selecting newspaper polls do NOT show Britain has turned against Brexit.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

ukle posted:

Its reportedly the lowest they have polled in opposition since the early 80's. Its really loving bad, and even Corbyn will realise how awful it is.

They did hit 18% with ICM on 29 May 2009, so they're not that bad yet.

They got their worst YouGov polling in recent memory around the same time: 21%, 2 June 2009.

The worst Labour did in the mid-80s was, I believe, 23.5% in December 1982. Then again, that was when the Alliance was regularly hitting 45-50% in the polls…

I can vouch for this: the major Brexit and Remain Facebook groups often post open polls so they can try to beat the other side.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

They did hit 18% with ICM on 29 May 2009, so they're not that bad yet.

They got their worst YouGov polling in recent memory around the same time: 21%, 2 June 2009.

He said in opposition.

Opposition parties are generally supposed to poll well compared to the sitting government. Corbyn's Labour is ripping up the rule book.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

He said in opposition.

Opposition parties are generally supposed to poll well compared to the sitting government. Corbyn's Labour is ripping up the rule book.

The last time the Official Opposition got below 25% was the Tories in August 2001.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

The last time the Official Opposition got below 25% was the Tories in August 2001.
Just 9 years until corbyn triumphantly busts into power then!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

This is the lowest poll for labour in opposition since 1983.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Laradus posted:

Yes, my understanding is with Baka in this.

Although i'm feeling there's plenty of 'us vs them' already and i'm not certain if this is possible to fix at this point.

There is, but we haven't gone over the cliff yet. If the government reveals their plan in advance, that defines what Brexit will be and sets expectations. Then the criticism will be about their fitness to handle this, and whether it should even go ahead if this is all we can offer. That's why they're outright refusing to say anything beyond MAKING BRITANE GREAT, the moment it stops existing as people's dreams and optimism and forms a cold hard reality, things start to get complicated and there's a possibility of a huge backlash. People might be unhappy with the idea of remaining, but they could be even less happy about going with the deal on the table in March. Just being able to punt it would be a big help, especially as uhhh demographics change over time

But if the reveal is during the negotiations, it could go the other way completely - this could be May's Falklands, plucky Britain at war with all the aggressive nationalist support they could hope for. No dissent, no criticism, no surrender, no matter how stupid the whole thing is and how it could all be avoided by just backing out of a bad situation

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, that's pretty much where my current reasoning tends given the wide ranging expectations of Brexit.

And demographics - very politic. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Labour's MPs had an opportunity to ride the wave of a popular new anti-establishment leader and they've spent 2 years trying to destroy him and have instead destroyed their own party.

Good job. loving idiots the lot of them.

• Locked thread