Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

KieranWalker posted:

I realize the signs were all there, what with this game having at least one character from Dead or Alive in it, and with memory of the original Ninja Gaiden game... but I gotta say, the modern day setting as seen from this chapter forward really seems to come out of nowhere in NGB. It's like, there's no indication at all you aren't in feudal Japan during the tutorial chapter, then BAM! You're on a zeppelin.

The NG series, even back in the NES days, always had this weird mishmash of Ancient Ninja Magic vs. modern day soldiers, cyborgs and super-science, with the occasional demon thrown in for good measure. Then again, a lot of '80s anime was like that as well. You don't see it as much these days for some reason, it seems to be a very 80's/90s trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Yaiba... was something that was made as the age of zombies was going away. It never should have existed. Just like what they in NG3.

Oh god, I looked this up on wikipedia and apparently it had Keiji Inafune on the project.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Yaiba... was something that was made as the age of zombies was going away. It never should have existed. Just like what they in NG3.

Oh god, I looked this up on wikipedia and apparently it had Keiji Inafune on the project.

Yup. Comcept was involved in the development of Yaiba. Should tell you everything about this game.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

We've made it to Tairon, the primary location of Ninja Gaiden. From this chapter onward we'll be exploring many of the neighboring locations in the Vigoor Empire and the ways in which they all connect to each other as we hunt down the ones responsible for the destruction of the Hayabusa Village. But before then, we need to get a ticket for the party...

Nunchaku
Moveset
A weapon made by joining two sticks together with a chain. It is very suited to free-form combo attacks.

One of few weapons in the game that are non-upgradeable. The nunchaku are fast weapons with attacks that, while not heavy on damage, can build up high combos which lead to more essence dropped. A significant part of this weapon is its kick moves, which used alongside the Armlet of Potency give them an extra boost in battle. That said, these weapons aren't viable for the rest of the game due to their non-upgradeable status and the fact that we will get something both similar and better much later on.

Lunar Lvl. 2
Moveset

Much like the Lvl. 2 Dragon Sword, the Lvl. 2 version of the Lunar is essentially an extra attack added onto the default combos. It's more powerful than before and still as reliable as it was when first acquired. And despite having an Izuna Drop of its own, the viability of that technique will not be apparent until it reaches Lvl. 3.

Windmill Shuriken
A giant shuriken with four folding blades. When thrown, it returns to the thrower like a boomerang.

An optional projectile weapon that I personally enjoy for its sleekness and stopping power. It deals good damage to enemies without the need to spend an arrow, and in the case of ending combos this is a good way to do it. It only falls short when thrown at an enemy that is prepared to block it, but it's use, power, and reusability make for very strong reasons to have equipped often.

Armlet of Potency
An armlet emblazoned with the picture of a horse, it increases the damage done by kick and throw techniques

An attack power increasing armlet that only applies to two specific types of moves. Unlike the Armlet of the Sun which gave a 5% increase to every type of attack, kicks and throws get a major buff from this armlet by 40%. Mixed with the nunchucks or other weapons with specific kick moves, some fights can be ended much faster when using these specific attacks.

Armlet of the Moon
An armlet engraved with a picture of the moon. When equipped, Ryu's defensive power will increase.

The only armlet I will not use once during this LP because of how pointless it is for my playstyle, but I put it here anyway. It does the opposite of the Armlet of the Sun, but instead of increasing attack power it reduces damage taken by 5%. That's it. Use it if you want to not get hurt as much.

Humans

Black Spider Ninja
The Hayabusa Ninja Clan's eternal rivals. These black/dark green garbed ninjas are more capable than what was shown from the Shadow Clan Ninja, and at this point in the game are also capable of using grabs on Ryu. In addition to that and expanded melee moves is arguably their signature weapon (and grievance of many players first experiencing it): The Incendiary Shuriken. Once Ryu is pegged with one, it interrupts any action he was doing, and second later explodes. At first, this seems unavoidable, but what the game doesn't explicitely tell, but is encouraged, is to make use of moves with invincibility frames to avoid damage from the explosion. This includes moves such as the Izuna Drop, Guillotine Throw, or Ultiamte Techniques to name a few. Almost always facing three at a time, these ninja are a fun if not challenging fight each time.

note: I could only find a render of the sigma versions of these enemies as this is their official design throughout the rest of the series. The ones in Black are just reskins of the Lesser Shadow Clan Ninjas anyway. More on these once the Sigma version of this chapter goes up.

SAT Grenadier
The final SAT enemy type, these don't have the extra defenses that the Riot Guards do, but their long range weapon is the most damaging. At range they'll fire a volley of several grenades that thankfully don't explode on contact, but are still pretty accurate. It's pretty easy to see them coming as they leave a trail and are slow enough that roll jumping isn't an issue. At close range they're as easy to kill as the Commandos. In fact, killing them quickly is a good strategy to remove a dangerous element and use its essence for an Ultimate Technique.

Tairon

Capital of Vigoor

Kunai Scrolls

Archives

quote:

Technique Scroll: Guillotine Throw
Contains the technique "Guillotine Throw",
in which Ryu grabs an enemy's neck while
jumping and uses his momentum to toss the
enemy for high damage.

Command: + (While Jumping Forward)

quote:

Suke's Diary

January 24th
The woman that I saw tonight in Vigoor...she was
extremely beautiful...
I must persevere to keep my wits about me.
Perseverance...patience...

February 2nd
I encountered her again. That woman slays the beasts
as if they were flies.
The vicious way she fights is so unlike her beautiful
appearance. A perfect example of extreme intensity...
she is no ordinary female.

February 6th
During a fight with the MSAT I slipped up and suffered
a grave injury.
I cannot reach my Black Spider brethren, my provisions
are almost all gone, and my life is near its end.
Death during an assignment is the wish of every Ninja,
but we still have no clues regarding what happened to
the evil Dark Dragon Blade. That is my only regret.
All that is left is for me to trust my comrades, and
accept these last painful moments as my destiny...

February 7th
Although I have become so weak, I still await my death.

Although I know it is only a matter of time before I
perish, I wish I could glimpse that woman one more time...

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

In hindsight i'm very surprised Rachel was never added to any of the DOA games. Fighter or Volleyball type of game. You think she'd fit right in.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Haven't watched the video yet but she definitely is in DOA last round

She's, like in this series, is a solid no-nonsense heavy hitter.

edit: So watching the video proper this time around, I never actually used the windmill shuriken all that much if at all. I pretty much found all projectile weapons to be worthless as I progressed through the difficulties. Aside from that, I do like that the game straight up says "Here's a shop, use it dumbass" if you missed the first one on the airship.

Also, for whatever reason I remember reading somewhere that the nunchuks are actually stronger than the level 1 Dragon Sword. Which honestly does make them great for the first chapter when you're struggling on higher difficulties. I know I pretty much used them when I was going through my very hard run.

edit2: actually remembering that Rachel shows up in Warriors Orochi 3 as a playable character.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 22, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh is she really in Last Round? Guess that's what i get for not keeping up with my DOA games :v:

She kinda like Spartan from 4? I remember her thing being super heavy hitting as well.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Tairon looks nicer in HD, and it is here we see one of the first of many instances where the developers wanted to eliminate moments of backtracking to speed up progression. Even though the results aren't always as good...

Twin Serpent's Plaza/Military Gate
  • Ayane's first Kunai Scroll of the chapter is found next to the starting save point as opposed to on the path to the statue
  • There are exploding barrels scattered around the gate to the Military Supply Base
  • The fence surrounding the room locked behind the skull door is now a solid wall
  • In place of where the first portion of the stone tablet was found is now the Lunar Staff
  • The first portion of the stone tablet is now in a chest found down the path leading to the Clock Tower
  • When shimming across the rope to the chest with the Lives OTTG, the clock tower will ring.
  • At the bottom of the stairs is a ninja corpse carrying the Nunchaku
  • There is a save point next to the Lily Door
Clock Tower/Great Bridge Square
  • The alley containing the Red Door and where the Nunchaku were originally found is removed
  • The Black Spider Ninja have an updated design that is in line with the future game's depictions
  • The fight with the Black Spider Ninja at the Clock Tower have their own battle theme now
  • Muramasa does not give you a ticket for Han's Bar
  • The gate right before the door leading to Zarkhan is removed
  • There are no longer pillars surrounding the stone circle where more Black Spider Ninja are fought
Pleasure Street
  • Instead of meeting the bouncer, Ryu will face two SAT Commandos on motorcycles
  • Defeating this encounter will grant Ryu the Lily Key, as opposed to the start of the next chapter
  • Hayashi decided to give Rachel boob physics, and unlike the Dead or Alive series which built itself on that poo poo I find it way more less appropriate here

Humans

SAT Motorcycle
A new addition to Sigma, these enemies are like the more modern version of the Samurai horsemen fought in Chapter 2. Unfortunately, the same strategies do not work exactly here, as they move around the arena very fast in a not circular fashion, and their gun attacks makes it less viable to just stand and peg them with the bow. Using a flying swallow at the right angle is the best chance to get them (or a guilotine throw, which is more risky), and after they're knocked off the bike they revert to being regular SAT commandos. There is also a side car variant of these enemies but they only appear once two chapters from now and are dealt with in pretty much the same way (except that each bike has two commandos instead of one).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't wait until you get to Rachel's levels in Sigma. :allears:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Sindai posted:

I can't wait until you get to Rachel's levels in Sigma. :allears:

And now you reminded me of her levels.

I am so bad at Rachel.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think I stopped playing Sigma+ around this point, not really because it was bad or anything (although in hindsight it kind of was) but because I had other stuff to play and just never bothered to come back to it especially since I had to delete the game to make some room.on the memory card.

It's also kind of weird to hear Ninja Gaiden with the English voice acting, as I always played it with the Japanese voices (except Sigma+, which removed the option for some reason). I just thought that was appropriate for a ninja game. :japan:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
^^I love your avatar, Doc Morbid^^

I've probably played this game 20 times all the way through and had no idea you could change the camera nor did I know about this ledge. I always just did the wall run thingy you did in Sigma and assumed that was the right way to do it.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

bman in 2288 posted:

And now you reminded me of her levels.

I am so bad at Rachel.
In the case of Rachel, being bad isn't a problem on the player, it's strictly on her.

I have quite some words to say about Rachel during the three times we play as her, and maybe some more in the thread once her first chapter goes up this weekend.

Man with Hat posted:

I've probably played this game 20 times all the way through and had no idea you could change the camera nor did I know about this ledge. I always just did the wall run thingy you did in Sigma and assumed that was the right way to do it.

The platforming/traversal sections typically have only one way of approach, but occasionally you get moments where you're able to circumvent it, whether or not it was intended as an option by the designers. In fact, there is one during a later chapter that is a kind of an interesting skip and I'll try to show that off in Sigma (Chapter 11, or 9 in Black because of Rachel's filler).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ArclightBorealis posted:

In the case of Rachel, being bad isn't a problem on the player, it's strictly on her.

I have quite some words to say about Rachel during the three times we play as her, and maybe some more in the thread once her first chapter goes up this weekend.
The platforming/traversal sections typically have only one way of approach, but occasionally you get moments where you're able to circumvent it, whether or not it was intended as an option by the designers. In fact, there is one during a later chapter that is a kind of an interesting skip and I'll try to show that off in Sigma (Chapter 11, or 9 in Black because of Rachel's filler).

Rachel is the loving worst and by far the main reason to play Black instead of Sigma.

I'm like 98% sure I know what skip you're talking about and it's so nice. Skips one of the worst parts of the game, but is also really finicky.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh is she really in Last Round? Guess that's what i get for not keeping up with my DOA games :v:

She kinda like Spartan from 4? I remember her thing being super heavy hitting as well.

Actually I think she came in from 5 Ultimate. And yea she's basically the Spartan.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

"Do you choose to abandon the way of the Ninja?"

For your sake I drat well hope not. But for those that still think the starting difficulty of Ninja Gaiden is too hard or punishing, then there is a mode just for you. But it comes at a price, the cost being one's pride and pity from a purple haired bastard child.

This is Ninja Dog mode.

As part of Ayane's assistance, she'll pack extra supplies with the Kunai Scrolls she leaves behind. Most of them are her own versions of already existing items like elixers of spiritual life. These items surprisingly aren't exclusive to Ninja Dog, but are available as Golden Scarab rewards on Master Ninja (and you can not get more than one of each during that run). There are four Ayane consumable items and their effects are exactly the same. They are:
  • Ayane's Ration is a rice ball that replaces the Elixer of Spiritual Life
  • Ayane's Ration Bundle is a back of 3 rice balls that function like the Great Elixer of Spiritual Life
  • Fragrance of Dayflower is a small incense burner of sorts that replenishes one ki slot like the Elixer of Devil Way
  • Fragrance of Hydrangea is a much larger incense burner and is just like the Great Elixer of Devil Way
But on top of that she also provides special wristbands that, functionally, are the exact same as the Armlets you get from Muramasa's shop. The idea being that because all except two armlets are locked behind Golden Scarabs, if you can't find any of them Ayane will still provide the benefits for you in some way. At the very least you aren't permanently stuck with the arm band as accessories can be switched out or unequipped whenever.

Since this is the only video I'll be providing of Ninja Dog mode and already ended up with 2/3 of the bands Ayane gives you, here is the full list of them. Again, their effects are the same as the regular armlets so I won't be adding any extra details beyond the descriptions provided by the game.

Band of Power
One of Ayane's ribbons. When wrapped around Ryu's arm, it increases his attack power.*

Band of Protection
One of Ayane's ribbons. When wrapped around Ryu's arm, it increases his defensive power.

Band of Wealth
One of Ayane's ribbons. When wrapped around Ryu's arm, it increases Yellow Essence absorption.

Band of Spirit
One of Ayane's ribbons. When wrapped around Ryu's arm, it increases Ki power build-up.

Band of Light
One of Ayane's ribbons, it decreases the time needed to charge Ultimate Techniques.

Band of Strength
One of Ayane's ribbons, it increases the damage done by kick and throw techniques.

*The Band of Power is the only item that does not share exact stats with its counterpart, the Armlet of the Sun. Rather than a 5% damage increase, it is 15%.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I feel dirty just thinking about the first time I was offered ninja dog mode. In my defense, I was playing on hard and I'm not that good at the game, but come on. I have my pride.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, I know I'm not good enough to, say, SSS rank everything in Devil May Cry, for example, but that's just kicking a man while they're down, Ayane.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Found my old copy of Black. When I get some free time, might brush up on some old ninja tricks.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

It's Rachel's time...unfortunately. While generally on the shorter side of things, this chapter and Rachel's remaining two are the biggest reason to give anyone why they should play Ninja Gaiden Black instead of Sigma. Wonder why? Watch the video to find out, somewhat. Again, this game will give me two more opportunities to be very critical about these sections.

War Hammer (Rachel)
Moveset
A Fiend Hunter's weapon, the War Hammer is suitable for taking the heads off of Fiends.

Rachel's primary weapon, it's slow and pretty damaging, but is not really fun to use especially when the Rachel chapters are requirements for progression and are incredibly used to playing as Ryu. Now, I'm not going to lie by saying that eventually Ryu will pick up this weapon and be able to use it himself, and that by comparison Rachel has some moves that are actually specific to her (the roll over enemy move is the most obvious). However, the problem is because it is a slow and heavy weapon, using it as Rachel is not as versatile and useful as the Dragon Sword is for Ryu. So don't blame me for just sticking to the same safe moves and spamming them because the alternative just isn't fun.

Peluda Tail
A device made from the sewn skin of an ancient Fiend, it is flexible yet retains a sharp point

Rachel's only projectile, it also doubles as her grappling hook. However, much like Ada Wong's grappling hook in RE4 Separate Ways, the coolest applications are only in cutscene, with the in game application being pretty dull. Granted it hits pretty hard, about as much as a shot from the windmill shuriken, but again it not being used for its primary purpose just feels lame. It also sucks that Team Ninja did not have the idea for Rachel's projectile weapon in Sigma 2 by the time they were making this one, because her wielding a machinegun to do sick gun combos is so much more appealing.

Earrings of Benediction
Increases the wearer's Yellow Essence absorption.

A pretty useful accessory to have during the first of Rachel's 3 chapters as her Essence and supplies are completely separate from Ryu, so getting as much as you can at the start while wearing these earrings is pretty good. To be more precise, Yellow Essence absorbed while wearing these gets multiplied by 21%. So you can imagine how profitable this can be if you successfully land Ultimate Techniques and fully absorb the essence released from dead enemies.

Earrings of Potency
Increases the strength of the wearer's kick and throw techniques.

The exact same thing as the Armlet of Potency that Ryu has, but because of the lack of versatility in playing Rachel, I rarely use this. Boosts to damage from a throw are nice, but I don't use her kick moves that often or find them particularly useful regardless of the situation. Especially when going for Karma Runs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I like how the fiends don't even bleed when you yank their heads off with that non-Guillotine Throw.

Speaking of which, the original PAL release of vanilla Ninja Gaiden was censored and those of us in filthy euroland couldn't decapitate any of the human enemies, as it was deemed too violent for Germany or something. Fiends were A-OK, though, because they had green blood, and the cutscene decapitation at the end of chapter 2 was still there. Ninja Gaiden Black was completely uncensored, but PAL Sigma took out the decapitations again (at least Sigma+ did, I never played Sigma on PS3) for some reason.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ArclightBorealis posted:

because her wielding a machinegun to do sick gun combos is so much more appealing.
And you can also shake the controller for the main advertised feature of Sigma 2.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You didn't explain Rachel's sixaxis controls! They are an extremely important and core gameplay element. LP ruined!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Doc Morbid posted:

I like how the fiends don't even bleed when you yank their heads off with that non-Guillotine Throw.

Speaking of which, the original PAL release of vanilla Ninja Gaiden was censored and those of us in filthy euroland couldn't decapitate any of the human enemies, as it was deemed too violent for Germany or something. Fiends were A-OK, though, because they had green blood, and the cutscene decapitation at the end of chapter 2 was still there. Ninja Gaiden Black was completely uncensored, but PAL Sigma took out the decapitations again (at least Sigma+ did, I never played Sigma on PS3) for some reason.
You could straight up make a spread sheet between all the different versions and territories to show which games have decapitations and where. And yes, Sigma in PAL territories doesn't have decapitations, so Sigma+ is similar in that regard. At least that's the only content thing that got switched on or off based on territory, unlike NGII which gives no gently caress about the standards of its country of origin.

SelenicMartian posted:

And you can also shake the controller for the main advertised feature of Sigma 2.
I tried to forget...

I tried so hard to forget...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember watching a friend try to do that challenge on Master Ninja difficulty. The count goes up from 60, to 120 higher-tier fiends. It was the most miserable time. His winning attempt took the better part of an hour. His prize was a wig, I think it was a short brown one.

He never touched the game again.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The boob physics motion control thing from Sigma is hilariously genius when you consider that that was the developers' taking the piss on Sony's practice of forcing all early PS3 titles to have some sort of motion control gimmick somewhere in every game. I have my complaints with Sigma but that one just cracks me up- It's a giant middle finger.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Random tidbits from my experience with the newer NG games.

I always felt that NGB is probably the closest thing you can get to a perfect action game. It's hard, but you're given all the tools to get through and when you do die, it's rarely because the game was unfair but because you messed up. I can't say the same for the sequel though.

The Lunar was a good weapon in Black, but nowhere near the monstrosity it was in 2. That thing was stupidly good once you got the 360Y ET.

I didn't hate 3 that much. I kinda liked it, but admittedly there were some problems. I never played Razor's Edge though.

One thing to point out about Yaiba is that they initially released it on Steam in the UK for either £69.99 or £79.99 (which in US money at the time would have been about $105 or $120). I remember thinking "Oh cool, a new Ninja Gaiden" and then saw the price and thought differently. Quite fortunate for me that it was bad, but was it really a NG game where you can't jump?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

KDavisJr posted:

Actually I think she came in from 5 Ultimate. And yea she's basically the Spartan.

She was in one of them, and she needed to be nerfed pretty quickly at first because she was easily one of the strongest in the game. Also, the Spartan was a pretty lazy reskin of some Bayman and Leon hybrid with new plasma grenade throws, and DOA4 was a terrible fighter that I don't miss playing.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Ryu's next destination is the Dworku district, home to a large cathedral that may have information that will lead him to Doku's location. The SAT and Black Spider Clan continue to patrol the streets in order to take down Ryu, but not too long after arriving at his target a new kind of enemy begins to reveal itself.

Fiends

Galla
The first fiend you fight in the game, as well as the first large normal enemy. These are more resilient than the human foes faced up to this point, and because of that they don't flinch often from getting hit. If they're in the start up of an attack, they can't be knocked out of it and it will definitely hurt at this point in the game. Staying away will encourage it to pounce or roll into a ball and charge at the player. Up close, it will breath fire, swipe it's claws, or worse bite and spit you out. Attacking from its side or behind is risky as it can use its tail to whip you as it turns around. This is an enemy that you can't get greedy with when attacking.

Bosses

Hydracubus
A pretty lame boss fight that, like Masakado, I found undeserving of a demonstration of its moves. It even gets reused a few more times in the game that I almost feel it tows the line being a legitimate boss and just a glorified regular enemy. The gist is that you can't damage it until you cut off its two main tentacles, which will flail around a lot of the time, so repeated flying swallows are the best chance to quickly sever them. They both drop essence which can then be used in a UT on the main body. Eventually the tentacles grow back, and you just repeat the whole tactic. Note that as the fight goes on it also spouts balls of acide from the top that are actually more damaging than the tentacles themselves. Doing this fight on higher difficulties makes the acid spit a very dangerous threat.

Dworku

Kunai Scrolls

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Haven't watched the video yet.

Hydracubus: It's actually just a moving trash can.

I also never found it's acid spit on higher difficulties even that threatening. The add-ons it gets are more dangerous than it's entire existence.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I love that the nunchaku sound effects are the old-school kung-fu movie effects. Just a really nice touch.

Also, those dino guys are totally Diablo.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

The path to the Dworku Monastery sees very little change from what was in Black, so on the way there we explore interesting methods of approaching battles in Karma Runs and the merits of scoring systems in character action games.

Tairon
  • The chest that held the Lily Key in Black now holds a Talisman of Rebirth
  • The fight against SAT troops outside Han's Bar is now against two Motorcylists
  • The alley that had the prototype Xbox now has a black monolith with the Team Ninja logo. The effects are the same but now with a length reveal of the logo each time it's used
  • In the square next to the bridge connecting to Dworku, the SAT troops are replaced yet again with Motorcyclists
Dworku
  • Taking the right path at the first Dworku save point now has a dead end, requiring you to go left to reach the Monastery gates
  • On the left path to the Monastery, there is a Muramasa's Shop
  • in the fight right before the Gallas' introduction, the player fights two Motorcycles with side cars, each occupant counting for a total of four kills

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm having kind of a difficult time keeping track of the videos in this thread and I add them to my queue. Do you think it'd be possible to make a playlist of them all on your channel? As well as an optional link directly to the videos from the OP?

Really enjoying this so far. It's very nice to hear someone so knowledgeable about every version of the game. Ninja Gaiden Black was prob my #2 favorite game of that generation and I spent many, many hours with vanilla, Black and later with the Sigmas. Ninja Gaiden is definitely what got me into playing difficult games.

Would it be okay if I posted a moment from me playing one small segment from Chapter 3 on Master Ninja Mode? It's one of my favorite "gently caress you" moments in a video game ever.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

The first long chapter of the game, we investigate the monastery and head deep underground in search of Zarhkan, all while discussing relevant topics such as whip traversal in video games and whether time has healed Spaceballs' wounds (of constant quoting).

Vigoorian Flail Lvl. 1
Moveset
A weapon used by Medieval Vigoorians; it can be swung like Nunchaku in combat.

Say goodbye to the Nunchaku, we now have a hilariously impractical replacement that can be upgraded. The level 1 moveset is exactly the same as the normal Nunchaku, but it has its own Flying Swallow type move called the Red-Hot Iron Brand. In the spirit of the weapon, it will home in on an enemy, but deal multiple hits along the way. Also because of the blades, it can actually decapitate enemies.

Incendiary Shuriken
A shuriken with a small timer-detonated explosive at the tip.

We now have the Black Spider Clan's primary projectile, but like the bow it is limited by the amount you can carry. Still pretty useful when you peg an enemy with one and watch them get launched from the explosion. On lesser enemies after a couple hits prior, these things will ensure instant death. But again because of the limited ammo I don't use them nearly as much, but they're worth it in select situations.

Fiends

Lesser Imp Fiend
The first humanoid fiend enemy, and much like the ninja they have a sort of hierarchy. Naturally, these are the lowest tier of Imps (Or Shadow Demons, whatever you wanna call them), and despite they're standing they are considerable more agile. Because they have eyes on various parts of their body, this explains their higher propensity to dodging your attacks. This means the player needs to, if they haven't been at this point, starting attacking them mid attack so they can be open to a combo. Thankfully they don't automatically dodge out of your combo like some later, much shitier games tend to do (Hayashi...).

Monk Fiend
Kinda like the Imp Fiends, these floating scythe wielding fiends need to be caught off guard to deal damage, otherwise they will teleport and counter attack. Various aerial attacks that aren't the flying swallow will damage them, but it is beneficial to use airborne heavy attacks to ground them so they can be comboed on or finished with a down attack. On their own they're manageable, but the prove problematic in bigger fights as they'll create energy circles that damage Ryu if he steps in them, which tends to happen when the player is occupied with fighting other enemies.

Ghul
These hulking zombie giants are slow, hard to hit stun, and hit like a truck if you get greedy with your attacks. That said, because of their resiliance they're prime targets for essence farming by generating high hit combos with the Vigoorian Flails. One thing to note is that Ghuls come in two variants. First is the melee variant which wields either a giant spiked mace or an axe. The other is an archer that, though considerably weaker in terms of health, is highly accurate with its bow and is set to disrupt any battle you are occupied with. One interesting feature of the Ghuls however is that they can be dismembered to an extent, making them the first enemies to have this feature before it became a major selling point of Ninja Gaiden II. Depending on the types of attacks, you can either sever the head, which prevents the Ghuls from tracking Ryu and causes them to attack haphazardly, or their non weapon arm. The latter obviously has no tactical advantage other than it being a neat detail.

Bosses

Bone Dragon
This fight can be a bit tricky to finish in a timely manner given that depending on which limb is on the platform Ryu is on can influence the type of attacks used (or the frequency at which it changes positions). Even so, it's not that difficult to actually defeat, so long as you pay attention and react to what's about to happen.
  • The Bone Dragon has a main projectile attack where it summons two bones to fire at Ryu. During this time his arm/leg that is currently in range is vulnerable but that means exposing yourself to potential damage.
  • After fully damaging one its four limbs, the amount of projectiles fired will increase to 3, and when three limbs have taken full damage, the projectiles fired increase to 5 and the rate of fire becomes much faster as well.
  • When one of the Dragon's arms is on the platform, it can do a claw swipe at Ryu, and is pretty dangerous when stuck in a combo. During position change, when he slams his claw onto the platform Ryu can take damage as well if he's not out of the way.
  • When one of the Dragon's legs is on the platform, it can use it to stomp on Ryu periodically. But more importantly. When shifting position from one leg to another, the tail will swipe across the platform in one of two ways. It will either sweep once and the next leg will be available to attack, or it will sweep back across the platform and the same leg will be available to attack again. It can be tough to dodge depending on where Ryu is positioned, either jump up when far away, or roll underneath when at the edge of the platform.
  • Lastly, the Bone Dragon has a bite move where it will lunge forward and chew on Ryu. However, the change in camera position and the Dragon's animation easily telegraphs this and is easy to dodge. But if you are caught, Ryu will take quite a bit of damage before getting spat back against the wall.

Monastery

Underground Cemetery

Archives

quote:

The History of Vigoor I
...ever since, these monsters have come to be
known as Fiends. The majority of them are
mutations of human beings, existing in a
condition of living without a soul due to their
corruption by evil...

quote:

The History of Vigoor II
...however the extraordinary power of the Fiends
is incomparable to that of humans; in fact the
highest level of Fiends exists in a state that
can only be described as having transcended
physical boundaries of form. Looking back through
the pages of history, it is quite probable that
many of the most powerful members of the
Vigoorian ruling class in fact belonged to this
classification. It is not surprising, then,
that the Fiends have been seen as gods...

quote:

The History of Vigoor III
...it is said that sometimes Fiends may rise up
from dead bodies; in fact there were many
Monks of the Vigoor Order during the Middle
Ages who labored for years to recreate this
phenomenon...

quote:

The History of Vigoor IV
...the vast majority of records dealing with
the Fiends date from the Middle Ages or earlier.
During recent tiems the Fiends have greatly
decreased in numbers; so much so that for a
member of the general Vigoorian public to come
into contact with a Fiend has become an
extremely rare occurrence...

quote:

The Emperor, Lord of All Creation
...The Vigoor Emperor is the figurehead of the
commoners, and his absolute authority as the Holy
leader of our Vigoorian Order cannot be denied.
He controls all, physical and ethereal,
regardless of time or place...

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

So as a heads up for this video and the next one tomorrow, I screwed up the rendering on them without realizing so instead of being at 60 FPS, both videos of these chapters were outputted at 30. Haven't started editing the commentary for future videos yet, so thankfully I caught it now that I'll prevent a repeat. Figured this LP couldn't go without one technical gently caress up, even if the video is still watchable.

Also off topic of the LP, Nioh's loving rad and I'm glad I got a backlog of footage for this thing done so I have more time to play the new video games. Get Nioh if you have a PS4, it's the best samurai action game since Onimusha 3.

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm having kind of a difficult time keeping track of the videos in this thread and I add them to my queue. Do you think it'd be possible to make a playlist of them all on your channel? As well as an optional link directly to the videos from the OP?

Really enjoying this so far. It's very nice to hear someone so knowledgeable about every version of the game. Ninja Gaiden Black was prob my #2 favorite game of that generation and I spent many, many hours with vanilla, Black and later with the Sigmas. Ninja Gaiden is definitely what got me into playing difficult games.

Would it be okay if I posted a moment from me playing one small segment from Chapter 3 on Master Ninja Mode? It's one of my favorite "gently caress you" moments in a video game ever.
I have a playlist made for myself of the videos I upload in each LP, since it's easier to track the intended order there than it is in the video manager. I can put direct video links in the Table of Contents if that will help.

And sure, it'd be fine for you to post that moment you are talking about. I can probably guess what it is and isn't anything I'm concerned about having saved for the post game videos.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So this video and the next are just going to be in 30 fps? Thanks for the heads up, and it's okay; mistakes happen.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ArclightBorealis posted:

I have a playlist made for myself of the videos I upload in each LP, since it's easier to track the intended order there than it is in the video manager. I can put direct video links in the Table of Contents if that will help.

And sure, it'd be fine for you to post that moment you are talking about. I can probably guess what it is and isn't anything I'm concerned about having saved for the post game videos.

Yeah, I'd love that. Here's the moment, you know the one. There's no other moment that ever made me laugh this hard in that entire game. It's so brilliant I wasn't even mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPcHBBVZwA

I was able to beat Very Hard mode but the furthest I got in Master Ninja mode in Ninja Gaiden Black was Chapter 7 or 8, specifically, I couldn't get past the zombie archer guys climbing back up the giant chasm the from below the monastery, their arrows were too powerful, they have like a billion HP and I just couldn't do it. I got through Alma but they were so unfun i just stopped there.. I was inspired to play through it because of Itagaki's challenge that fewer than 100 western players will be able to complete it on that setting. I failed :negative:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've been called out and I'm not fully sure what for :confused:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Vigoorian flail is possibly the stupidest weapon to ever be in a videogame. It seems like something a particularly dim 8-year-old would come up with. "Knife-chuks! Yeah!"

Obviously it's the best.

Also, the elevator didn't stop because of a weight limit, it stopped because a ghoul attacked the switch. It's easier to tell if you let them do it again.

BDA fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 12, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sword-chucks, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Back through the monastery and underground in HD, we look at how this chapter is a good example of updating visuals without changing the intent of the original, as well as other semi-relevant tangents to pass the time.

Dworku Monastery
  • The walkway connecting the Annex to the Monastery gates now has both bats and laser helicopter drones, and enemy that doesn't appear until chapter 9 in Black
  • The Altar Hall of the Monastery now has chandeliers hanging above that can be broken if the player's hits connect with them
  • In the Archives room, the next Stone Tablet piece is inside the giant sphere and not the glass display case
  • On the second floor of the Archives, there are murals for the Ancient Fiend Sisters, Nicchae and Ishtaros
  • The upper catwalks in the Altar Hall now have stars connecting them, no longer requiring a jumping slash with the Dragon Sword to reach one from the other
  • In the Monk's Room, the first Deity statue is missing. This is moved to far later in the game
  • After opening the hole to the Underground Cemetary, Ryu automatically jumps down without giving a yes/no prompt
Underground Cemetary
  • All the bats that were here in Black are now replaced with a new enemy, called Wisps
  • Past the savepoint at the lower level of the Econtra Babel Specus, the ranked fight with lesser imps does not trigger until all the Wisps are defeated
  • At the bottom of the same area, there is now a Muramasa's Shop
  • After grabbing the chalice from the Ritual Room, fights with the Ghuls will now include Wisps as part of the encounter

Dragon's Claw & Tiger's Fang Lvl. 3
Moveset

The max level for these hacked in weapons. Level 3 doesn't offer nearly as many new moves the way Level 2 did, but it does make an excellent addition by giving many airborne moves an extra heavy attack, which results in Ryu doing a 360 spin upon landing the previous hit. This further makes the dual swords a pretty good weapon for dealing with enemies crowded together.

Fiends

Wisp
These replace the bats that show up in the Underground Cemetary. They actually function alot like the Cyclops Wasps in that they just hang around until they choose to lunge at Ryu, which has enough power to disrupt his block and stun him. But like Bats, they are incredibly weak and easy to kill, using a projectile like the Windmill Shuriken works well on groups of these.

• Locked thread