Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Donald Trump fires acting Attorney-General after she said she couldn't defend his travel ban :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Lmao Shorten is loving up that Australian journo at this press conference

Sounfs funny, Got a link?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Good Game got the chop :(

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

You're telling me we've been paying for that all these years?! :argh:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Nibbles! posted:

Its not like it could compare to Channel 31's 90 minute-late-night-block'o'cringe game review shows. It's sort of like Fishcam except they replaced the fish with the gooniest motherfuckers in Australia in their natural habitat.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Frogfingers posted:

Its not like it could compare to Channel 31's 90 minute-late-night-block'o'cringe game review shows. It's sort of like Fishcam except they replaced the fish with the gooniest motherfuckers in Australia in their natural habitat.

lol shots fired holy poo poo

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Nibbles! posted:

According to the official statement it's because two of the key presenters said they were leaving and that gave them the impetus to kill it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Pole blocking Adelaide garage 'cracking example' of poor development, councillor says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-31/new-house-garage-completely-blocked-stobie-pole/8225530?sf53553675=1

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

iajanus posted:

According to the official statement it's because two of the key presenters said they were leaving and that gave them the impetus to kill it.
Yeah, Hex and Nichboy are moving on.

I get the feeling it was a pretty recent decision, given they were talking about it coming back at the end of last year (and earlier this year). The ABC sounds like it's a bit of a mess at the moment too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't believe they still continued to build the house. Were they hoping the pole would magically disappear or something?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, Hex and Nichboy are moving on.

I get the feeling it was a pretty recent decision, given they were talking about it coming back at the end of last year (and earlier this year). The ABC sounds like it's a bit of a mess at the moment too.
The new head of ABC is a complete and utter failure. Michelle Guthrie has done her best to piss off everyone there, and cut services.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Sounfs funny, Got a link?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156143063379988&id=72924719987

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Not surprisingly Dutton has come out in support of Trump.

Is Australia the only country on earth where the government is lovely enough to toady to this? Are there any other examples?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Do you have a timestamp on the burn? I ain't watching an hour of Shorten.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Not surprisingly Dutton has come out in support of Trump.

Is Australia the only country on earth where the government is lovely enough to toady to this? Are there any other examples?

Israel and Russia seem to be the other two.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

But the supply is okay! Whats the problem?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

They are pro Trump in a general sense, but as far as I know nobody from either of those countries has commented on the travel ban specifically.

(eg http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-ministers-maintain-total-silence-on-trumps-refugee-ban/)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Take the time to read Jane Caro's little piece about the long view. The methods in developed countries may be more sophisticated than developing countries, but the impulse is the same, regain control because the world has dropped out from under traditional institutions.

quote:

Living in a constant state of ‘crisis’ helps keep people docile. Frightening them into compliance by taking away social safety nets is another way, as is exhausting them by making jobs insecure and asking them to work until they drop.

Increasing the barriers to further education is another method of keeping control in the hands of the already privileged. Noam Chomsky put it like this in a speech on the cost of public education in May 2011:

Students who acquire large debts putting themselves through school are unlikely to think about changing society. When you trap people in a system of debt they can’t afford the time to think. Tuition fee increases are a disciplinary technique, and, by the time students graduate, they are not only loaded with debt, but have also internalised the disciplinarian culture. This makes them efficient components of the consumer economy.

I’m not saying political leaders have done all this consciously, or as some sort of conspiracy, but, as I was taught in my advertising career long ago, if you want to know why someone does something: follow the benefit.

But as Caro says, it's doomed to fail, no matter how imposing or trumped-up it seems. Once the disruption gets going, it has its own momentum. Information really does want to be free, and so do people. We can't see the other side yet, and I'm as cynical and pessimistic as the next goon, but Caro is right, what seems unbreakable is actually ephemeral. You couldn't imagine, for example, the Cold War ever ending when I was living through it. So much structure propped it up, the world economy was based around it. Now no one can imagine how it lasted so long.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wouldn't it be magical if Trump is the one to finally break this swing to the right?

The Before Times posted:

Donald Trump fires acting Attorney-General after she said she couldn't defend his travel ban :allears:

How I'd love to see a Nixon-esque Saturday Night Massacre, where Trump just has to fire A-G after A-G as they all refuse to defend his traqvel ban.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 31, 2017

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Look I don't think you fellas have the right to this thread title. We've clearly established ourselves (U.S.) as the world leader in incoherence and incompetence and I shan't think there's any debate about that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

Stopped watching Good game when they made goose a full membwr. gently caress goose

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nibbles! posted:

In a world where patreon-funded reviewers can put up a video review after five minutes a traditional TV show was always going to struggle to complete. They did well to make 10 years, really.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
IDK, I was under the impression they were one of the most watched shows on ABC2.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

mdemone posted:

Look I don't think you fellas have the right to this thread title. We've clearly established ourselves (U.S.) as the world leader in incoherence and incompetence and I shan't think there's any debate about that.

soz about your poo poo country m8

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't have kids, but if I did I think I would have appreciated the junior version of Good Game. Too many freaks on Youtube.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

open24hours posted:

I don't have kids, but if I did I think I would have appreciated the junior version of Good Game. Too many freaks on Youtube.

I thought I read that one was going to continue in a revamped format?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

iajanus posted:

Yeah, it is.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

And that's good, as it provides a nice little service for younger gamers. I'd let my daughter watch that (not that she watches anything but Sesame Street at her age) but not Good Game as they sometimes show horror scenes out of nowhere.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

iajanus posted:

Well in that case, good.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

mdemone posted:

I used to think it was a question of scale until I started listening to the Dollop. It might be really hard to put yourself in the mindset of a 'client nation', but trust me, there's no end to our form of incoherence and incompetence, because with less responsibility comes more imitation.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

mdemone posted:

Seeing as you brought it up:

Trump is anything but incompetent.

If you think that the travel ban and ensuring chaos is about anything other than selling brand Trump then go and look at the facts again.

Trump is all about keeping the faith. This is just the drat the torpedoes part. He was advised over and over again that this would be an inevitable consequence. He accepts this as collateral damage. Notice how Saudi Arabia wasn't on the list. To his constituents he has made a tough choice and is sticking to his guns. The more the issue is made to squeal by the media and protesters the better Trump looks to the people who will vote him back into power.

Trump is about free speech. Preventing evil enemies of the USA from coming here(there) allows citizens to say what they think and sends a message (to the evil enemies of freedom). Although this measure is authoritarian over reach at its worst that's the message that his constituents are hearing.

Trump is tough on terror. Muslim = Terror right? Doesn't matter if they have traditionally come from countries not on the list. Even better if it ferments some reaction from Islamic extremists. The bloodier the better. Gives Trump someone/thing to get tough(er) on.

And best of all:

Once it has been trotted up and down the media catwalk and is inevitably struck down by the Supreme court it gives brand Trump all the ammo needed to insist that significant change is needed in the makeup and powers of the courts.

Yeah looks like naked incompetence to me. :allears:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
So when the 2nd American civil war kicks off do you think our government sits back or do they throw us in the meat grinder to help the pro-Trump side?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Once it has been trotted up and down the media catwalk and is inevitably struck down by the Supreme court it gives brand Trump all the ammo needed to insist that significant change is needed in the makeup and powers of the courts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

It was the second or third question in the end of the video after his speech finished.

Some idiot from the Australian tried claiming that Visas were fine and Shorten smacks him down with 7/11 and Pizza Hut examples

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It was a prime grilling

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The question starts at 32:50.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wouldn't it be magical if Trump is the one to finally break this swing to the right?

We might see with France. Next election's between a fascist, a 'centrist' and a Sanders-esque figure.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Futuresight posted:

That was a quite satisying way to shut down the Australian hack.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

We might see with France. Next election's between a fascist, a 'centrist' and a Sanders-esque figure.

Who are you referring to here? Not even Fillon himself pretends to be a centrist and as an ex investment banker Macron is only Sanders-esque as far as being "the unlikely quasi-independent 3rd guy".

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

A fascist, a fascist, a centrist, a Sanders-esque figure and a Sanders-esque figure, all without preferential voting then :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futuresight posted:

Wow that journo clearly did not like his world view being challenged.

Unhappy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

We're playing pretty different games. You have fascist stuff, we've got the regular neoliberal grind for a while longer.

I like that I can call the US president a fascist without worrying about sounding like an arts student. Warms my art student heart.

• Locked thread