Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah we used to hyperventilate and push on each other's chests against a wall. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Higsian posted:

I used to make my face turn a deep purple by forcing all the blood into my head. I can't really remember the exact mechanism but I remember it involved tensing up all my muscles and like "focusing pressure" into my head. I remember it also shook my head a bit. Anyway it was a bit of a rush once you stopped and a fun little show-off trick that me and a couple friends would do from time to time. Until one friend and I decided to compete on who could go more purple in our terribly supervised high school art class one day. I ended up passing out, falling backwards out of my chair, and slamming my head into the corner of a bench behind me. I was apparently out for about 30 seconds while my best friend was frantically slapping my face and yelling to wake me up.

Ah to be young.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Accurate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When inviting Indonesian troops to train here, please remove all Indonesian invasion plans beforehand.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
My heart knew the answer, but my mind wouldn't accept it :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The gooberness is inside you

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
all teenagers are idiots

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

It shows that they were certainly aware this was going to be an issue and didn't take steps to address it, instead putting the onus on whoever they've targeted.

My wild guess would be that they knew it would happen but hoped that those correctly targeted would say welp and start paying back the money and those inoccently caught would be collateral.

There's also the political calculation that it's popular with the base and any negative results will dissipate because it's early in the electoral cycle (ie people will forget by election time).

They'll go "oops our bad", fix the "error" and will unveil a New Improved Snooper which will miraculously attach to ABNs and bingo you've got what you wanted in the first place and you've taken the political sting out of it. Not a very convincing story but I'm guessing this will be something like the explanation to little Chris Porter, because of course they didn't expect the reaction they're getting, being too arrogant and echo-chambered to give a poo poo in the first place.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

But Senator Roberts went further, accusing New Zealand of "stabbing our ally in the front", while criticising the Turnbull government for not putting enough pressure on New Zealand to stop it.

"2017 marks the centenary of the ANZACs' brave actions to free the Palestinian territory - now Israel - from Ottoman oppression of Christians, Jews and other groups," he said.

"It would never have been possible for those brave ANZACs, charging as part of the Light Horse Brigade, to have ever thought that events 100 years later would go full circle and future generations would betray the very people they were about to liberate.

"Israel is the Jewish state, and it's the only Middle Eastern democracy where Christians, Muslims atheists and Jews can all be elected to the same parliament.

"Israel is Jewish and democratic, unlike most Islamic countries."

Accusing New Zealand of a "hostile attitude" towards Israel, Senator Roberts suggested Australia take a stronger stance against New Zealand "settlements".

"At the very least, we should look at further cutting benefits for New Zealanders living in Australia," he said.

"Perhaps a tougher immigration policy aimed towards New Zealand would stop Kiwis from establishing settlements in Australia."

Haha what the gently caress, OUR ANZACS as part of the vanguard of the Zionist movement.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

theoretical nz settlements - bad. actual israeli settlements - good. hm

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

New Zealanders must be one of our most valuable imports. They're educated, they assimilate, and they're ineligible for welfare. What more could you ask for?

Howard cutting them off was an absolute dog act and it's a disgrace that the changes haven't been reversed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anzac didn't do poo poo for Israel....

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
ANZAC didn't do poo poo

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

quote:

"Israel is Jewish and democratic, unlike most Islamic countries.
Haha what the gently caress, OUR ANZACS as part of the vanguard of the Zionist movement.

I know what they meant but :lol:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

ANZAC didn't do poo poo

Not true, for example: they died.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

ANZAC didn't do poo poo

Legend has it they were collectively involved in making a delicious biscuit.

Maybe there was something else but it probably wasn't important.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Remind me what the English promised the Arabs for their support in WWI again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A century of unending conflict? Thats what they wanted right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I mean they're always saying stuff like Valhalla Akbar :shrug:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

DancingShade posted:

Legend has it they were collectively involved in making a delicious biscuit.

Have you seen the rations that became the biscuit we know today? It was a dried ration that you boiled to make really lovely gruel.

You can still see them at the Australian War Memorial, as in, 100 year old biscuits.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
And "water crackers" are the distant descendant of hardtack

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Magog posted:

I know what they meant but :lol:

I mean, they have stupid beards and hats so they are basically Muslims, right?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

This is the same Sen Roberts who argued with Brian Cox and NASA. The man is impervious to research and lives within his own head

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
ADF culture is completely toxic? Say it isn't so.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-04/insulting-training-material-was-in-relation-to-west-papua/8162284

quote:

Indonesia halts military cooperation with Australia over 'insulting' West Papua posters at training base By Defence reporter Andrew Greene and Indonesia correspondent Adam Harvey Updated 23 minutes ago

"Offensive" material about West Papua displayed at an Australian Special Forces base has prompted Indonesia's defence chief to cut military cooperation, throwing future joint exercises into doubt.

Key points:

An Indonesian instructor took offence to poster displayed at SAS in Perth
All cooperation between the Indonesian and Australian military has been suspended
Future of Australia's defence ties with Indonesia are uncertain
The ABC has confirmed an Indonesian officer complained about the "insulting" training posters at the SAS headquarters in Perth in November last year, prompting Australian Defence leaders to launch furious efforts to try to smooth relations with their counterparts in Jakarta.

An Indonesian military spokesman told the ABC cooperation between Indonesia and the Australian Defence Force (ADF) had been suspended, effective immediately. Indonesian Special Forces group Kopassus trains with the Special Air Service at the unit's Campbell Barracks in Perth. Major General Wuryanto would not confirm the reason for the suspension, saying it was for technical matters, and that there were "ups and downs in every cooperation between two national forces". Sources familiar with the incident have confirmed the "laminated material" concerned perhaps Indonesia's most sensitive topic — West Papua, which is an Indonesian province that has tried to seek independence from Jakarta. Defence Minister Marise Payne confirmed the complaints concerned "some teaching materials and remarks" at an Army language training facility in Australia, and that some military cooperation with Indonesia was now on hold.

Senator Payne told the ABC that the concerns were raised in November, though she first addressed the issue of suspended defence cooperation with her Indonesian counterpart this week. She said cooperation in some areas — such as addressing asylum seeker vessels — continued. "We have been communicating with our counterparts at the appropriate level to manage this process," she said. No timeframe has been provided for an expected resumption of cooperation and Senator Payne could not confirm whether joint exercises between the Australian and Indonesian navies would go ahead next month. "Indonesia has informed Australia that defence cooperation would be suspended," Senator Payne said in a statement. "As a result, some interaction between the two Defence organisations has been postponed until the matter is resolved. Cooperation in other areas is continuing." In a separate statement, the Defence Minister said Australia was committed "to building a strong Defence relationship with Indonesia" and would "work with Indonesia to restore full cooperation as soon as possible".

The ABC has learned that on November 23 last year, ADF chief Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin wrote to his Indonesian counterpart about the offending material. A diplomatic source familiar with the correspondence said the Defence chief's letter reassured the Indonesian military that the offensive material displayed in Perth did not reflect the view of Australia's Defence Force, and was an isolated incident. Australia's Chief of Army Lieutenant General Angus Campbell also wrote to his Indonesian counterpart on November 24 to reassure him that Australia did not endorse the material. The Defence Force is yet to respond to questions from the ABC, but senior figures have expressed surprise at the comments from Indonesia's military.

It is unclear how long the suspension is for or whether the suspension will affect future joint training exercises between Indonesia and Australia. The Indonesian and Australian navies are due to participate in multinational training exercises in February. A spokesman for the Indonesian Navy said he had just found out about the military chief's "statement about the suspension of cooperation with Australia". "Whether or not we will continue with the joint exercise, I will have to get back to you on that," First Admiral Jonias Mozes Sipasulta said. "I need to build more details first. Usually we don't suspend cooperation on education and training but now I heard we've suspended all cooperation." Until this incident the military relationship between the two nations had been improving.

Military cooperation between the two nations was last suspended in 2013 over a phone-tapping scandal. Documents obtained by the ABC and Guardian Australia revealed that in 2009, Australian intelligence attempted to tap the mobile phone of then-president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.
Marise, you had one job!

Having been on numerous ADF sites and courses this does not surprise me at all. The ADF attitude to Indonesia is paternalistic at best. It is none the less an outstanding failure of diplomacy to not be able to placate Indonesia after a month of trying. Or given our clown car government maybe they didn't think it was important enough to expend much effort. On the flip side not being complicit with Indonesia's brutal repression in West Papua would be a nice change of pace. Ah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah. Like this government or indeed nation gives a single rats arse about that. Just keep chucking cheap Bali booze at our culturally insensitive unwashed and keep those wretched brown poors that are fleeing from our oil wars your side of the loving ditch. I mean is it really that hard monkey men?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It could have been anything from a news article about Indonesia being horrible in West Papua to some sort of propaganda poster about Indonesia being horrible in West Papua.

Indonesia are being horrible in West Papua and love acting butthurt if anyone brings it up.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Wasn't even after an illegal download so thanks Australia.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What site was it?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Dozens of poker machines destroyed in fire in Brisbane hotel

A man accused of setting 40 poker machines alight at a hotel south of Brisbane last night is due to face court today.

Firefighters were called to the Royal Hotel in the Logan suburb of Beenleigh about 8:30pm following reports of a fire in the gaming room.

Police said a 25-year-old patron had earlier left the pub but returned with a container of petrol.

It is alleged he poured the petrol over the poker machines, then set them on fire.

Queensland Police Service said three poker machines were destroyed while 37 others were damaged beyond repair from exposure to chemicals.

The Beenleigh man's been charged with endangering particular property by fire.

He is due in the Southport Magistrates Court today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-05/poker-machines-set-alight-royal-hotel-beenleigh/8162808

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A late contender for Australian of the Year.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The latest NXT candidate for the upcoming state election? Pretty bold strategy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Was just coming to post that.

A good day.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

open24hours posted:

What site was it?

torrentz.eu

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Higsian posted:

Wasn't even after an illegal download so thanks Australia.

The federal police have been notified and are on their way.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

open24hours posted:

What site was it?

The only thing I've personally seen trip that is the obvious suspects, Piratebay, etc.

Google DNS also instantly bypasses it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Or any proxy plug in for chrome will do it too.

Like it was literally a 2 click inconvenience to go back to torrenting as normal.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Higsian posted:

torrentz.eu

That site has been dead for months anyway

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Demonoid has served me well over the years and thank god Rupes cold dead hands don't touch it with stupid halfbaked censorship systems.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

You Am I posted:

That site has been dead for months anyway

That makes this less annoying. But far more funny.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Cartoon posted:

ADF culture is completely toxic? Say it isn't so.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-04/insulting-training-material-was-in-relation-to-west-papua/8162284
Marise, you had one job!

Having been on numerous ADF sites and courses this does not surprise me at all. The ADF attitude to Indonesia is paternalistic at best. It is none the less an outstanding failure of diplomacy to not be able to placate Indonesia after a month of trying. Or given our clown car government maybe they didn't think it was important enough to expend much effort. On the flip side not being complicit with Indonesia's brutal repression in West Papua would be a nice change of pace. Ah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah. Like this government or indeed nation gives a single rats arse about that. Just keep chucking cheap Bali booze at our culturally insensitive unwashed and keep those wretched brown poors that are fleeing from our oil wars your side of the loving ditch. I mean is it really that hard monkey men?

Eh, Indonesian military is run by poo poo people filled with poo poo people and does poo poo things and they hate it when their poo poo actions are pointed out like any other racist and right wing shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tarantula posted:

Eh, the military is run by poo poo people filled with poo poo people and does poo poo things and they hate it when their poo poo actions are pointed out like any other racist and right wing shitheads.

ftfy

• Locked thread