Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It shows that they were certainly aware this was going to be an issue and didn't take steps to address it, instead putting the onus on whoever they've targeted.

My wild guess would be that they knew it would happen but hoped that those correctly targeted would say welp and start paying back the money and those inoccently caught would be collateral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Remind me what the English promised the Arabs for their support in WWI again.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I must confess I'm really out of the loop as far as standard media goes. Is this a big mainstream story? Reddit has been melting down for weeks over it now and I imagine half of the media pulls their stories from there these days.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

If there's one practice I wish they'd crack down on its claiming living allowance whilst staying in properties owned by a related party.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

They do?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's proposing a new independent body to oversee expenses.

Also ignoring the last report into the matter.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Isn't the Switch running a not terrible graphics card? Battery life gonna be like an hour.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I can see where someone might come from with the argument that there are various more effective ways to address domestic violence than criminalisation, but this is hard to separate from "instead of punishing abusers, we need to help victims to not get abused. :smug:"

Is this really true though? Historically maybe, but currently nothing gets the media worked into a frenzy more than a lurid family murder case, and I doubt anybody in Australia can name anybody with the vaguest connection to street violence with as high a profile as Rosie Batty.

They Batty case is illustrative as there were numerous times intervention could have occurred before the murder occurred.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

blacksun posted:

This case is the best example of the misuse and overstep possible within 18c, a law which I agree with in principle. People here can't honestly agree with its usage in this case?

Vexatious lawsuits don't negate laws.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I don't understand why the Human Rights Commission didn't act outside of their statutory authority?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

If supply was really the issue they'd scrap negative gearing unless it's on a new build.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

New avatar plz

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Can guarantee the next Vic state election will be nothing but tough on crime.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

“Over time the Senate has ceased being a house of review and become a house of rejection,” Mr Abbott said

quote:

Section 53 of the Australian Constitution:

..........Except as provided in this section, the Senate shall have equal power with the House of Representatives in respect of all proposed laws.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Our founding fathers were well aware that Melbourne and Sydney would dominate the House of Reps due to population. The Senate was conceived as a house for the States, hence their equal representation. It was designed to be a stop against the more powerful States imposing their will hence having the strongest powers of any upper house in the world.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Good Game got the chop :(

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

IDK, I was under the impression they were one of the most watched shows on ABC2.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It always speaks volumes as to the types of people who think any birth control is 100%

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I imagine the owner got the look by telling her he'd totally pay her more if it wasn't for company tax rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Let me tell you about the situation that I've never had a chance of finding myself in.

• Locked thread