Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

But Senator Roberts went further, accusing New Zealand of "stabbing our ally in the front", while criticising the Turnbull government for not putting enough pressure on New Zealand to stop it.

"2017 marks the centenary of the ANZACs' brave actions to free the Palestinian territory - now Israel - from Ottoman oppression of Christians, Jews and other groups," he said.

"It would never have been possible for those brave ANZACs, charging as part of the Light Horse Brigade, to have ever thought that events 100 years later would go full circle and future generations would betray the very people they were about to liberate.

"Israel is the Jewish state, and it's the only Middle Eastern democracy where Christians, Muslims atheists and Jews can all be elected to the same parliament.

"Israel is Jewish and democratic, unlike most Islamic countries."

Accusing New Zealand of a "hostile attitude" towards Israel, Senator Roberts suggested Australia take a stronger stance against New Zealand "settlements".

"At the very least, we should look at further cutting benefits for New Zealanders living in Australia," he said.

"Perhaps a tougher immigration policy aimed towards New Zealand would stop Kiwis from establishing settlements in Australia."

Haha what the gently caress, OUR ANZACS as part of the vanguard of the Zionist movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I can see where someone might come from with the argument that there are various more effective ways to address domestic violence than criminalisation, but this is hard to separate from "instead of punishing abusers, we need to help victims to not get abused. :smug:"

Solemn Sloth posted:

Depends how you mean, if you mean why is there such a massive media focus on street violence compared to DV

Is this really true though? Historically maybe, but currently nothing gets the media worked into a frenzy more than a lurid family murder case, and I doubt anybody in Australia can name anybody with the vaguest connection to street violence with as high a profile as Rosie Batty.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Given people were watching him do burnouts outside Flinders St station I doubt there would have been any time, unless you clear the streets whenever someone does that in which case nobody ever goes outside.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Lol facebook comments saying the guy should have just been immediately shot when he was driving erratically at flinders st, imagine the carnage that would ensue every day.

hiddenmovement posted:

I suspect auto bollards are getting installed at bourke st mall sometime very soon

Seems difficult when trams have to pass through. I guess they can be raised and lowered but the mall still has to be accessible to large vehicles in a way other public spaces don't.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

I don't have much of an opinion on the taxi industry but my partner works at the local taxi place. A lot of their regular customers are people who need a ramp for their wheelchair etc, can't afford a modified car or are just well beyond being able to drive themselves. The access vehicles are always flat out busy and I'm not sure how well self driving cars will work for people with physical disabilities.

How would taxis self driving make a difference to this at all?

(disregard this post if the driver plays a significant role in assisting disabled passengers, I assume they don't but I could easily be wrong)

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I read the Bill Leak cartoon more like "the acknowledgement to country is meaningless window dressing if you are simultaneously involved in imperialist repression"

quote:

Suggestions that a more suitable day would be May 27 — recognising the constitutional equality given to indigenous people on that day in 1967 — is absolute rubbish.

While a significant day in the country’s social history, it has no bearing on the why, how and when of modern history.

On this basis we might just as well hold Australia Day on the day when the Commonwealth Franchise Act of 1902 was passed, allowing women to vote in the 1903 Federal election; at least this celebrates a day that 50 per cent of the population can identify with.

... sure, why not? Nobody advocates changing the date of Australia Day to something that absolutely must commemorate Aboriginal history, just that it shouldn't be specifically chosen to be the most offensive day to Aborigines possible.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Lid posted:

Lee Tony Abbott Rhiannon

Australian leftists need to swing to the radical policies of Bernie, like universal healthcare and a $15 min wage

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Not surprisingly Dutton has come out in support of Trump.

Is Australia the only country on earth where the government is lovely enough to toady to this? Are there any other examples?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Do you have a timestamp on the burn? I ain't watching an hour of Shorten.

Israel and Russia seem to be the other two.

They are pro Trump in a general sense, but as far as I know nobody from either of those countries has commented on the travel ban specifically.

(eg http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-ministers-maintain-total-silence-on-trumps-refugee-ban/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

We might see with France. Next election's between a fascist, a 'centrist' and a Sanders-esque figure.

Who are you referring to here? Not even Fillon himself pretends to be a centrist and as an ex investment banker Macron is only Sanders-esque as far as being "the unlikely quasi-independent 3rd guy".

• Locked thread