Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe we should be a bit more skeptical about that toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anyone can get a free trip to Israel if you're willing to say you're Jewish. A friend of mine managed to get one despite having no (known) Jewish heritage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright_Israel

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're no worse (or better) than any other generation. If the people who are young now were young then we'd be in exactly the same situation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...103-gtl6m5.html
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has expanded on his call for the citizenship test to be revamped with a boosted focus on social integration and Australian values rather than being a "trivia" quiz on history and government.

Mr Dutton said he wants a debate on the test to weed out "a minority who are on a pathway to citizenship that we need to have a closer look at", including people involved in gang activity, crime and terrorism.

"We need to see whether people are abiding by Australian laws, whether they are educating their children, if they are able-bodied and of working age, whether or not they are engaged in work or whether they have had a long period of time on welfare," he told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

"At the moment, the test is dictated essentially by questions around Australian trivia, if you like," he said. "And my view is that we could look at a test that would more embrace Australian values."

In the wake of counter-terrorism operations that have seen some recently arrived Australians arrested, the Immigration Minister's suggested test would seek to gauge the success of an applicant's integration into Australian society by quizzing them on their employment, children's education, English attainment and criminal record.

The citizenship test currently asks 20 questions, drawn from a larger pool, covering matters of Australian history, system of government and the rights and responsibilities of citizens. The person must get 75 per cent correct.

Applicants are also subjected to a character test, which prevents them attaining citizenship if they have a criminal conviction against their name.

Carla Wilshire, chief executive of the Migration Council Australia, greeted Mr Dutton's comments with scepticism. She said there is a continual need for modernisation and improvement of the citizenship testing process but "we need to be careful not to demonise migrants".

"Citizenship and a strong emphasis on belonging has been at heart of Australia's brand of multiculturalism. In considering any changes we need to be careful that we do not lock migrants out of citizenship or create a guest worker society," she told Fairfax Media.

"The statistics show that migrants are less likely to access welfare payments and their children perform at above average academic levels."

Ms Wilshire said Australia did need improved "cultural orientation" for new migrants, with a focus on gender equality and access to justice.

It has been suggested that a new test would include questions like:
  • "Have you broken the law?"
  • "Are your kids enrolled in school?"
  • "Have you found employment?"
  • "Is your spouse enrolled in English-language lessons?"
A draft cabinet document obtained by Fairfax Media last year proposed changes to "create stronger controls over access to permanent residency and citizenship" and a renewed citizenship test (and pledge) to "strengthen accountability for commitments made at citizenship conferral".

In November, The Daily Telegraph reported the government was moving ahead with such a move.

I always wonder about the poor public servants tasked with finding the magic set of questions that will convince terrorists/dole bludgers to turn themselves in.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Starshark posted:

I've never seen you put up a source in your life and I'm not about to waste my time by asking now, so here's my source (there are others, it's just the first one I picked up).

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-do-we-become-more-conservative-with-age-47910
That seems to contradict the point you were trying to make?

quote:

This means that the Conservatives probably shouldn’t be too worried about their support base thinning out and being replaced by younger, less conservative generations. If history repeats itself, then as people get older they will turn to the Conservatives. Our evidence suggests that this is probably not due to “social ageing” (getting married, having children or an increasing income), but rather to the direct psychological processes of ageing that tend to make people more resistant to change. This, in turn, makes people gravitate towards parties that defend the status quo.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

I think that there is some unique Western phenomena going on here, because I've read (somewhat a while ago, I can't quite find the soure right now) that younger people in the Russian Federation are growing up more conservative on several points (I remember something about sexuality, and maybe womens rights or something) then the older generation who grew up under the Soviet Union. This isn't excusing or condoning the USSR, but it is somewhat of a counterpoint to the observation that everyone becomes relatively more conservative as they age. It's probably all relative, and we can't do a whole "what if" because everything about our current worldview is shaped by what's already happened.

They might become even more conservative as they age.

I think a lot of it has to do with acquiring wealth. Older people typically have more resources (a house, superannuation, other investments) than younger people, and have more reason to vote for someone who promises to protect those resources.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

They might (which would align with Western trends), but it's really difficult to speculate but it's still an observation which is at odds with "people become more conservative with age".
I don't think it's really at odds with that. There are lots of reasons people might become conservative aside from age.

I don't know much about Russian politics or the day to day life of Russians, but it's easy to speculate. Maybe the withdrawal of the state made people more worried about their security so they turned to conservative politics to protect their safety? Maybe Russians who grew up after the fall of communism are relatively richer than their predecessors, and can't rely on the state to support them, so they turn to conservative politics to protect their wealth? Maybe all that family values propaganda is working?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 3, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Saying that's a documented bug is really stretching it. That site looks like instructions for Centrelink staff investigating this sort of thing, not a user manual for the data matching software.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If it is I doubt it's published anywhere accessible to the general public.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If it's not accessible then how would you know if it's documented or not? Whether it's a software bug or not is irrelevant anyway, Centrelink have been doing this sort of thing long enough that they should be able to get it right.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's the same page linked from Twitter though? I mean it even says that "Actual period(s) worked should be obtained so that averaging only occurs for periods worked."

Whether this is a software bug or not is important (in an academic sense, not so much for the people getting the notices). If it is a software bug then it's trivial to fix, if it's a case of Centrelink ignoring their own advice that the estimates are unreliable then that's a much deeper problem.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 4, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The 'proof' was what I was responding to in the first place?

I'm not trying to defend Centrelink if that's what you think. This appears to be an incredibly lazy and cynical exercise, but that page isn't any kind of gotcha.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 4, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

New Zealanders must be one of our most valuable imports. They're educated, they assimilate, and they're ineligible for welfare. What more could you ask for?

Howard cutting them off was an absolute dog act and it's a disgrace that the changes haven't been reversed.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What site was it?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

These might not be what you're looking for, but a few books on the subject that I've read and enjoyed are: History of Australian Land Settlement, 1788-1920 , A Million Wild Acres , Botany Bay Mirages, The limits of hope, Settlers and the Agrarian Question: Capitalism in Colonial Australia.

None of these really focus on Indigenous Australia from an Indigenous perspective, so hopefully someone can recommend something that does.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 6, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you look at the other MPs who went on that trip they all spent a lot on ground transport.

I'm guessing they must have had a staff with them?

http://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/P38_LEY_Sussan.pdf

http://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/P38_ROBB_Andrew.pdf

http://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/P38_COLBECK_Richard.pdf

http://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/P38_FRYDENBERG_Josh.pdf

http://www.finance.gov.au/sites/default/files/P38_ROY_Wyatt.pdf

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also, considering these expense reports are publicly available why don't journalists/bloggers/whoever go through everyone's expenses when this happens?

Might take more than half an hour of research.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It doesn't help the parliamentary interest register is just scanned PDFs of forms filled out by hand. Imagine what you could turn up if they were in a machine readable format and you could automate the process of going through them all.

Outsource it to Mechanical Turk. I'm sure someone would be willing to put them into a database for 1˘ a page.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/09/ration-days-again-cashless-welfare-card-ignites-shame

“It’s our money,” Peters says. “We want to see cash, not a card. We want to spend time with our family in the pub too. The card is no good for our people.

Decent article.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/09/sussan-ley-used-taxpayer-money-for-gold-coast-events-with-multi-millionaire

Of all the terrible businesses she could have been involved in, this is up there with the worst of them. Might as well be manufacturing land mines.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those seem like two of their more sensible suggestions. Identity politics got us Trump and a lack of direct democracy is why we'll never have a federal ICAC.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 10, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

gently caress off, no it didn't.

I'm pretty sure appeals to White working class identity had something to do with it. Identity politics isn't about embracing people with diverse identities.

Senor Tron posted:

It takes some strange cognitive dissonance to advocate direct democracy at the same time as policies the majority of the Australian public would never support.

You don't think a federal ICAC would get up?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 9, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That kind of usage should be rejected. Conflating identity politics with the politics of inclusion and non-discrimination is counter productive at best.

That someone as seemingly unelectable as Trump was even able to make it a close race, let alone win, shows how powerful appeals to fear and identity can be.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah, just like when people talk about anarchism they're obviously talking about a Mad Max style society of roving gangs.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

But Slipper was a traitor. Ley is a valuable member of the team.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/liberal-donor-denies-link-to-sussan-ley-gold-coast-unit-sale/news-story/abc2ebe4ef382ec3e1db20708b9966a3

By July, federal MPs will be banned from using helicopters for short trips, could be forced to share a shuttle bus around Canberra instead of using chauffeur-driven cars and eligibility for interstate family reunion travel will be tightened.

:lol: I bet they'll love that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doesn't MyGov basically do that?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't see why they don't get all this stuff sorted out at the same time they issue birth certificates. Could register people to vote too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is that in response to anything in particular? Are there seriously feminists out there who push a tough-on-crime approach as a singular solution to domestic violence?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Get rid of her quickly Turnbull, I don't want to miss the Nintendo presentation.

It better be cheaper than the Wii U.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's still available through Google's cache.

Whatever his guilt, he seems very naive for collecting all that stuff and dealing with the police directly instead of through a lawyer.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It really does feel just like when Gillard was in. They're hosed if they stay the course but they don't have any other credible options. I can't see them winning by bringing back Abbott, but like Rudd he'd probably be happy to lose an election if he could humiliate Turnbull.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/16/coalition-hits-new-low-and-greens-trail-one-nation-in-poll-showing-centrelink-anger

The poll, taken on Thursday and released on Monday, found One Nation has a primary vote of 9.7%, ahead of the Greens on 8.9%.

I think this is interesting, and I wonder what's behind it. Are people who vote Greens as a protest switching to One Nation?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

This kind of dovetails with a question I asked earlier this month... what the gently caress is happening in Australia's public service that this poo poo goes on?

Read all about it.

Or a summary if you prefer.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Blamestorm posted:

Many of the most knowledgeable staff took redundancies and work for the big 4 or private consultancies.

At least in my experience this is a huge issue, and the public service desperately needs more technical expertise. In a lot of cases the people commissioning the analyses don't know what they need or even what's possible.

The people who have those technical skills know they can get a job in the private sector where they'll probably be paid more, won't have to deal with as many arbitrary rules and won't have to deal with the government calling them bludgers, so why wouldn't they leave?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

So what you're saying is that if I'm interested in public policy and research I shouldn't do a degree in it and try to get a job doing that and should instead toil away in something I don't care about but which isn't actively trying to screw me?

You could always work for the IPA.

The public service is still a solid career choice, and the skills you learn working in it are generally pretty portable.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Good to know making racist threats is an effective means of achieving your political aims. Thanks QMS.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There are probably terabytes of data that will never be released, but even they were and you could prove that the card didn't work it wouldn't matter. This, the intervention, 'mutual obligation' for welfare recipients and similar programs are about forcing people weaker than you to do something humiliating. Arguing that the basics card doesn't meet its stated aims is a waste of time, because the stated aims have nothing to do with the real aims.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 17, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What are some alternative options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

We really should have a space program. If we'd bought one of those instead of school halls and giving everyone $900 we could be on Mars by now.

• Locked thread