Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
'About as reasonable a process as you could possibly derive' - the Centrelink debt recovery 'process', according to Christian Porter who has adopted the Government Approved Strategy of stating the opposite of reality and banking on the fact that most people won't care enough to notice.

They probably won't since I haven't heard it mentioned on the news but holy poo poo how can you think a system that takes fortnightly data and compares it to averaged annual data and demands money from people based on that is in any way reasonable. He also reckons that people have plenty of time to contest the debt and that the letters demanding people pay up now are not in fact debt notices. Clearly it is Labor's fault that people hate this system because they didn't start using it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

It's accessible - http://operational.humanservices.gov.au/public/Pages/debts/107-02040020-01

Rod Culleton got into a fight or something when someone came to serve him papers. Every news outlet offers a slightly different version but he did fall over and land on his hand. Apparently the someone serving the papers was a One Nation party member who had applied to stand for election, but understandably Pauline is distancing herself as much as possible from this whole mess. Rod's gonna have a press conference later today to tell everyone about how he totally kicked that guy's arse, no really you guys.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

I wasn't posting it as anything other than that I could find the procedure they supposedly follow on the Internet, I missed the link in the original post.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that the Human Services minister defending the accuracy of a system that Centrelink procedures specifically comment on the inaccuracies of isn't a serious problem, even leaving aside how seedy the whole idea of demanding payments from low-income people without presenting real proof a debt exists is.

Unrelated but apparently a 13 year-old in Brisbane died because choking yourself to get high is a fad now? Is this just a Queensland thing or am I a huge goober for never having heard of this in school??

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My heart knew the answer, but my mind wouldn't accept it :smith:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Seems like they hoped that they could get away with the same strategy that Dutton uses whenever more evidence arises that offshore processing centres are literally hell comes up - repeat the narrative until people stop caring and go away. Works when the issue is only affecting a few brown people, and when there's only the occasional blip on the radar to tell people what's happening.

Except this is affecting shitloads of people, enough of whom are complaining to their MP/the media that the pressure to do something about it won't just wither away, and if they're planning to send out that many more notices it's only going to get worse.

How long does the ombudsman usually take to look into things? I look forward to them being told by an independent body that their system is a shambles that is aggressively targeting people they're not even likely going to get much money from.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

The funny thing about the BasicsCard is that there's always bits of press about them being super great for stopping lazy abos from buying grog in the local (Kimberley) paper, but there's almost no mention of actual data backing this up. It's all local leader [good abo] says they see more people buying fresh food/less people drunk in public/etc, and you'd think the card would provide plenty of data of when and how it's being used or that there'd be ongoing numbers on alcohol-related arrests, but nope. Nothing. Considering this is supposed to be the trial run they have to be gathering information, but I guess we won't hear much about that until they roll it out for pensioners to stop them spending all their money on the pokies, when it will found to everyone's surprise that it's not that effective compared to the burden it imposes on recipients.

:supaburn:PERSONAL ANECDOTE:supaburn: - The card really doesn't seem to make that much of a difference since the people who are problem drinkers either trade around to get cash and buy what they want from the burgeoning black market that sales restrictions has created, or change their addresses to somewhere the card isn't being used yet like Broome, since a lot of them have no fixed address either. It also means that things like the local Agricultural Show and school fetes have had to implement ticket systems for people with the cards to be able to take their kids and participate, further broadcasting to everyone that they're a shiftless bludger who can't be trusted with their own money.

Our national anthem really is misleading, all this stuff about people coming across the seas to the boundless plains we have to share, but people who actually do come across the sea get to share in the joy of being shoved into a camp or yelled at in the street for wearing a hijab.

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 17, 2017

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Looking at the US healthcare system and thinking 'yes, this is good' has to be the pinnacle of FYGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

The guy who used to drive my school bus is running in the WA state election as a One Nation candidate. Small world.

No real chance he'll win since Kimberley has been Labor-held since 1980, and the three people in the seat since then are all Aboriginal - Ernie Bridge, Carol Martin and Josie Farrer - and bus driver man is white as all hell. Warren Greatorex is running for the Libs though, and if anyone's going to take the seat from Labor it'll probably be him. If he wins he'll be the first Aboriginal Liberal state MP, seems like an alright guy but the whole thing smacks of him being used as a prop because the Libs can't get any traction among Aboriginal people. He might even win, a lot of people are unhappy about how the region and remote communities in particular get ignored by government.

• Locked thread