Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Remember, despite being horribly racist and homophobic, One Nation pretend they aren't.

Also, considering these expense reports are publicly available why don't journalists/bloggers/whoever go through everyone's expenses when this happens?

Lots of expense reports, lots of work searching through old articles and press releases trying to cross reference things. Journalism isn't especially well resourced nowadays outside clickbait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Woman receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars from the taxpayers every year for the rest of her life complains about leaners.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It takes some strange cognitive dissonance to advocate direct democracy at the same time as policies the majority of the Australian public would never support.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

You don't think a federal ICAC would get up?

That would, but the rest of what they are calling for (things like overthrowing capitalism) simply aren't going to happen.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Wrong that Malcolm Turnbull would be a better prime minister than Abbott. He isn’t. Wrong that Turnbull would win more seats than Abbott would have at the last election. He didn’t. Wrong to stoop as low as Labor and tear down their own leader. Wrong to freak out Liberal “bed-wetters” by exaggerating Abbott’s weaknesses and playing down his strengths.

Onions and knighthoods are trivial; stopping boats, cutting expenditure and fighting Islamism are not. Wrong to denigrate Abbott’s chief of staff Peta Credlin. Most CEOs would give their right hand for such talent. Wrong to buy the line that Turnbull has an economic narrative to sell. He doesn’t.

So instead of admitting they were wrong on all these fronts, and admitting that Abbott should have had their full support to complete his first term, including making the inevitable mistakes a new PM makes, they compound their initial error by refusing to countenance his return.

I fully endorse this author and his ideas, because if they returned Abbott to power not only would they be completely recreating Labors last term in government, we would see them get smashed to bits at the subsequent election.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Holy gently caress, so all the reports of them getting it wrong up to now is only 10% of the total?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was a bit worried since I had dramas with Centrelink a few years ago while I was studying. Logged into MyGov and the service isn't linked and I've long since forgotten my Centrelink login details. Guess I'll know something's up if they try sending letters to a house I lived in several moves ago, don't get a response, and send hired goons to track me down.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In the event that someone had to completely resign (unlikely, they will all defend each other over this to protect themselves) how is that period waiting for a new member to be elected handled? In situations like now when the government only has a super slim majority I assume there is some system in place to stop them getting defeated in votes in the time between an MP resigning and their replacement entering parliament.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Konomex posted:

How is Family Tax Benefit a form of welfare? I support 5 people on one persons salary. I don't see it as welfare, simply a refund for supporting people out of my own sweat.

Also, how does a card prevent fraud? Fraud is caused by lying, cards can't detect liars.

Do you all live on a self sustaining commune in the middle of nowhere with no use of public services? If so, congrats, but otherwise you're being subsidised through the welfare system.

That's not a bad thing at all, it's why it exists.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/820624573448134656

Come on leadership speculation...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Under the Charities Act 2013, promoting or opposing a political party or candidate for political office disqualifies organisations from having charity status.

Nalliah, who was vying for a Victorian Senate seat at the last election, said Catch The Fire would fight the revocation.

“As far as we are concerned it’s an absolute injustice being done based on the fact that we have a political viewpoint,” Nalliah said on Monday night. “It’s a big blow to freedom of speech. We will not take this seated and we will talk to our lawyers in the next few days”.

Nalliah said he was unaware of the clause in the charities act until October, when Catch The Fire Ministries received a letter from the commission about posts on its website that were deemed political.

What a dumbass.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Please, let them alienate vast amounts of pensioners.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

at this stage I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals just decided to lie about it to kick the problem down the road a few months and hope everyone forgets about it by then.

They haven't come out and said that the US said the deal would be honoured right? The news report I saw earlier just said something like "sources report that Trump gave assurances that the deal would be honoured...".

That would fit that idea. Don't come out and openly lie, but leak to the media the lie, then when it doesn't happen everyone will just chalk it up as another thing on the Trump bonfire.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At this point I hope the deal works because the refugees safety is most important, but :lol: at this coming after the Aus govt came out in defence of Trumps immigration approach. If he does revoke their deal then Turnbull can't change his tune without looking like a giant arse licker.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

norp posted:

Watching Turnbull waffle on the press club thing today makes me wonder how he got a reputation as a good speaker.

He seemed a lot more modern than Howard, stood out more than Brendan (who?) Nelson and then just had to compete against Tony Abbott freezing up like a robot given a paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Arrest them. It will clear the streets. If you've got two legs and a heart beat nothing is stopping you from getting a job and bettering yourself in life.

They've been offered housing, support, everything. But it's more lucrative for a crackhead to panhandle all day, as opposed to try and actually better themselves in any way. Shoulda brought out the water cannons and given them a free shower as well. Maybe if all the bleeding hearts out there opened their own doors for them, let's see how quick their opinions would change.

9/10 homeless people in Melbourne have either self inflicted due to drugs and stupid choices- or simply snob off the help they're offered.
On a night out a few months ago I bought a meal for a homeless man and he threw it back at me and demanded money.
I feel for the ones who grew up on the streets due to parental neglect and horrible circumstances.. but majority of the homeless on our streets chose to be there at some point.

People need to realise that you do actually need to be cruel to be kind at times. Rather than look at them as if they're a wounded animal and go "awwwww poor thing". gently caress. Right. Off.

Source your quotes.

• Locked thread