Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Ometeotl posted:

I think not being vanilla is a worse transgression than being late in a Vanilla contest.

The only non-vanilla part was a small asm patch to change the piranha plant vines to use the right tile. That's why FP and I were confused about the glitchy tiles, the patch was not applied for the compilation. I'm assuming that's why they let it through though, because as we mentioned there's a ton of vanilla ways to actually fix it. This is the only level that lost points for that.

Though I agree, there was a bit too much leniency overall with the rules. It's right there in the name that it's a vanilla contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I been watching Raocow going through this romhack as well but it is good to get a level design perspective for it.

Raocow's Woah Radicola video really shows why it is 99th place - It is a puzzle level when failure = death and because of this I don't think there is much reason to go back to it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cohesion is a difficult but necessary skill to learn when making levels. Meaning, your level should feel like one whole level, not multiple levels stuffed into one. Present a simple, consistent idea and build on it through all parts of your level.

In related news, we did a recording for the next set of levels but all our footage corrupted and is unrecoverable. We've been a bit down on recording again partially because we felt we had a really good session and audio commentary and partially because we're just waiting for our schedules to line up again. We'll get it all done soon and videos should still come out regularly but the next few videos won't be "blind" anymore. Ah well, technical difficulties happen.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That "touhou" song was Mega Man X, guys. It's Storm Eagle's stage!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I really like the Saturation Plains using music from other games. Though I don't think using that music from Seiken Densetsu 3 was necessarily an appropriate choice. You have the happy and upbeat overworld and then you get an action JRPG's combat dungeon theme for the underground.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I really liked that first level. I wonder why it was scored so harshly from that one judge.

The second level started out strong, but that turned into a real mess soon enough.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ChaosArgate posted:

That "touhou" song was Mega Man X, guys. It's Storm Eagle's stage!
Wait, how do you manage to confuse MMX (especially Storm Eagle) with Touhou?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Because I've only played MMX once and am bad at it and didn't remember the music in it. :shrug:

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
What's the other guy's excuse?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The other guy also only played MMX once.

We both assumed Touhou because, well, it's SMWC.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I really liked that first level. I wonder why it was scored so harshly from that one judge.

Afterwards they said that they don't remember why. It's one of my favorites so far at least, but I really like the diagonal platforms and the grassy cave aesthetic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Do those SD3 and MMX music tracks even use the vanilla SMW sound library/font or whatever? Or does that even matter?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The music porting technology has advanced enough that they can now import the music samples direct from the games they are porting songs from. It's actually really impressive how far Super Mario World hacking has come in general, especially in terms of music, something that was once thought impossible on any larger scale.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Certainly wouldn't be impossible, but it would require a ton of work with Assembly. Which is really difficult to pull off since you're essentially reprogramming how the entire game works and not just doing things like replacing sprites and all that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I tried out the switch palaces in this hack and I cannot figure out the puzzles at all. I guess they require arcane knowledge of SMW's glitches and engine quirks? Regardless I can't for the life of me get anywhere.

Except for the red one, that one was easy.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I really quite enjoyed the level-design chat in the videos you've posted thus far! I hope more is forthcoming.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There is. Losing that footage set us back and we've been trying to make time for the rerecord. If all goes well we'll be recording again tonight.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This looks interesting. I've only dabbled in Super Mario World hacks (Super Demo World, The Second Reality Project and Rob-Omb's World), but it's always seemed like there was tons of potential for creative minds to make unique levels.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This looks interesting. I've only dabbled in Super Mario World hacks (Super Demo World, The Second Reality Project and Rob-Omb's World), but it's always seemed like there was tons of potential for creative minds to make unique levels.

Yeah, the sheer depth of detailed knowledge about every little quirk of the engine, combined with tried and established level design principles, really make SMW romhacks a fascinating thing to watch. At least the ones that are good.

Actually, because of that, I have a (possibly stupid) question for the experts: What is, in your opinion, the best SMW hack out there? I'm really interested to see what level of quality can come out of a constellation like that, but I would somewhat prefer to find out without having to dig through 25 years' worth of hacks.
(Here's hoping that I did not just start a flame war...)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 1

This thread needs a second romhack and I'm a sucker for randomizers, so why not?

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 24, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is the magic of randomizers. Look at all the cool junk you found! (And stole)

I actually had no clue about those two glitches you mentioned. Things were definitely more buggy in the Japanese version. Also I'm pretty sure they changed that brothel to another random house for the localization because...yeah.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

":psyduck: How do you make a book out of mushrooms?" :laffo:
Real fortunate equipment rolls. I can only imagine how frustrating this would be if the boots were incredibly complicated to acquire.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good thing you got that block-pushing puzzle right.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm kind of torn between showcasing the current latest edition of FF6 Brave New World or doing some FF6 Beyond Chaos randomizer runs. My concern with the former is that we've seen an earlier version (and some of the script edits and half the hacking team being bad), but at the same time the latter isn't going to be very interesting in screenshot form. Thoughts?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Aerdan posted:

I'm kind of torn between showcasing the current latest edition of FF6 Brave New World or doing some FF6 Beyond Chaos randomizer runs. My concern with the former is that we've seen an earlier version (and some of the script edits and half the hacking team being bad), but at the same time the latter isn't going to be very interesting in screenshot form. Thoughts?

I'd like to see BNW for its mechanics, even though the script is terribly unfunny, and it has the connotations of the one team member and the drama he caused on SA.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

I'd like to see BNW for its mechanics, even though the script is terribly unfunny, and it has the connotations of the one team member and the drama he caused on SA.

Given what happened to the last LP attempt, I suspect that BNW is now de facto banned from SA because any thread about it will devolve into shitposting, no matter how pure the OP's intent.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given what happened to the last LP attempt, I suspect that BNW is now de facto banned from SA because any thread about it will devolve into shitposting, no matter how pure the OP's intent.

Which is a shame if true, because the mechanical half of the hack is really, really interesting in the changes and re-balances they made. Like, I would love if someone took out the trash script of BNW and maybe re-inserted one of the official scripts or whatever, and just let people play with the new mechanics.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If it is, I'm sure they would have outright said it was. But aside from NSFW games, the only games outright banned from this subforum were the Pokemon games, and the bans for those got lifted some time ago.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

If it is, I'm sure they would have outright said it was. But aside from NSFW games, the only games outright banned from this subforum were the Pokemon games, and the bans for those got lifted some time ago.

De facto banned, that is, any thread LPing them will end up locked because of the thread content. I wouldn't mind being wrong, but as I recall last time we had people descending from GBS to shitpost up the thread for lulz, and I have little faith that won't happen again.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is the writing for BNW that bad? I was going to start it up fairly soon but if it has idiotic "internet humor" writing then I'm not sure if I'd want to even begin. Did the original FF6 script even need to be changed? Why do that? :psyduck:

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 1

This thread needs a second romhack and I'm a sucker for randomizers, so why not?

This randomized LttP looks pretty neat, but at this pace it seems like you'll end up with an endgame-level Link before you even enter the Dark World. I'm not sure how good that will turn out but I'll keep watching! Are you doing a normal run or are you going out of order with the dungeons?

I remember trying a Super Metroid randomizer a while back and it honestly was kind of dull. Once you get the first four or so items, no matter what they are, the rest of the game plays out pretty much exactly like the original.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Mak0rz posted:

Is the writing for BNW that bad? I was going to start it up fairly soon but if it has idiotic "internet humor" writing then I'm not sure if I'd want to even begin. Did the original FF6 script even need to be changed? Why do that? :psyduck:

Not really, in short the problem was that the author of the hack started posting in that thread which was fine until he mentioned he was a brony.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

It's more groan-worthy than anything. It's largely a composite of the Woolsey and Advance scripts with additional "jokes" by the romhackers. The drama they're talking about comes from the creator being a brony and goons inevitably being goons.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 1

If I remember correctly, the chest in Link's house, the chest just past the dead uncle, and the chest in Zelda's cell all contain the lantern in the original. Once you have it, the others give you some pittance of Rupees. 5, I think?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It's more groan-worthy than anything. It's largely a composite of the Woolsey and Advance scripts with additional "jokes" by the romhackers. The drama they're talking about comes from the creator being a brony and goons inevitably being goons.

The real problem came from the fact that the author decided to talk about his mastrubation habits for some reason. That's when things turned bad in that thread.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AweStriker posted:

If I remember correctly, the chest in Link's house, the chest just past the dead uncle, and the chest in Zelda's cell all contain the lantern in the original. Once you have it, the others give you some pittance of Rupees. 5, I think?

Correct. You can get the latern from any of them and the other chests will have a blue rupee.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Aerdan posted:

I don't know FF6BNW at all so I spoke with Fedule about it since the context of recent posts had me waffling on my decision. In the end we agreed that the hack sounds worthwhile to show off in this thread so please feel free to do it. If people start getting creepy and weird about it for some dumb reason that's what the Report Post button is for, like it would be for people getting creepy and weird about any other LP here. But I hope we can avoid that entirely.

Personal suggestion: I'm assuming you're planning to do it as an SSLP? If so, you could cut out the cringeworthy, plain bad dialogue and choose to give your own summary of what's happening. That would avoid the bad dialogue and instead allow you to just focus on what makes it a fun hack mechanically.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a romhack of Final Fantasy 6; just stick to the new mechanics. Why have any dialogue or plot at all? If someone doesn't already know it, there are plenty of actual LPs of the base game.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Wasn't the modified dialogue for Brave New World made optional at some point? *Does a half-assed Google search* Yeah it seems there is a patch called clean new world that removes the more egregious stuff.

WRT Mario hacks I wonder if any of them featuring custom bosses have been released. I swear blind one of the had him fighting Lavos. I thought brutal Mario might have been one but the videos i just watched on YouTube didn't feature any bosses. Super Kitiku Mario seems to be another but I think that's unfinished as well.

I also have a vague memory of a YouTube video from years ago featuring a level from a romhack demo where the player had to ditch a hilarious number of Yoshis into the lava below to make the jumps.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's a romhack of Final Fantasy 6; just stick to the new mechanics. Why have any dialogue or plot at all? If someone doesn't already know it, there are plenty of actual LPs of the base game.

This is what I'm thinking. Also if you're going to do the whole shebang with posts that are miles long you might as well have a dedicated thread for it.

On the topic of LttP hacks, I recently tried out this one called Goddess of Wisdom after ragequitting Parallel Worlds (I still don't understand why it's so beloved). It's okay in the beginning. The overworld needs a bit of work and is kind of a pain to navigate before getting the flute, but the dungeons are pretty great. Overall it isn't impossibly hard except for that one boss battle that pits you against the Armos Knights in a room full of spikes.

And then they introduce an incredibly stupid gimmick puzzle involving dragging a statue around for 20 minutes through narrow passages just to weigh down a switch. The hack throws it at you five or so times, two of which are on invisible floors (the glass (?) tiles floating over pits that can be revealed with Ether or a torch). The very last one takes the cake, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fm6jSUrpU&t=704s

I quit after that. I don't care if I was 90% complete the game, this just isn't worth sunk cost fallacy-ing my way through the rest.

Death Zebra posted:

Wasn't the modified dialogue for Brave New World made optional at some point? *Does a half-assed Google search* Yeah it seems there is a patch called clean new world that removes the more egregious stuff.

Yeah, Clean New World is bundled with the BNW files. Maybe I misread the readme but I was under the impression that it pretty much only did stuff like replace all instances of "gently caress" with "poopy" or somesuch.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 24, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

This randomized LttP looks pretty neat, but at this pace it seems like you'll end up with an endgame-level Link before you even enter the Dark World. I'm not sure how good that will turn out but I'll keep watching! Are you doing a normal run or are you going out of order with the dungeons?

Not sure if this is a spoiler alert or just foreshadowing, but Combat Lobster continues to have problems reading the spoiler file so expect shenanigans in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Combat Lobster continues to have problems reading.

FTFY

• Locked thread