Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mak0rz posted:

On the topic of LttP hacks, I recently tried out this one called Goddess of Wisdom after ragequitting Parallel Worlds (I still don't understand why it's so beloved). It's okay in the beginning. The overworld needs a bit of work and is kind of a pain to navigate before getting the flute, but the dungeons are pretty great. Overall it isn't impossibly hard except for that one boss battle that pits you against the Armos Knights in a room full of spikes.

And then they introduce an incredibly stupid gimmick puzzle involving dragging a statue around for 20 minutes through narrow passages just to weigh down a switch. The hack throws it at you five or so times, two of which are on invisible floors (the glass (?) tiles floating over pits that can be revealed with Ether or a torch). The very last one takes the cake, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fm6jSUrpU&t=704s

I quit after that. I don't care if I was 90% complete the game, this just isn't worth sunk cost fallacy-ing my way through the rest.

That's heinous. I quit the Morrowind "Sotha Sil Expanded" mod for similar reasons. It rapidly devolved into ridiculously complex switch and item hunting in obtuse mazes and I just didn't see the point in finishing a mod that forced me to noclip half the time regardless of sunk costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CirclMastr posted:

Combat Lobster continues to have problems reading the spoiler file

I've seen a bunch of people do Zelda randomizers, and this is the one thing that is consistent across 100% of the runs. It's great and I'm glad it's not changing here. :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is the spoiler file generated with the ROM or something?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As a totally different request, what are people's thoughts on the Zelda Classic game maker? Do they count as romhacks? I'm nowhere near good enough at these sorts of games to show them off in an entertaining manner, but there's a lot of interesting stuff out there for that community...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Is the spoiler file generated with the ROM or something?

Yeah, you can tell the randomizer to generate a text file along with the ROM, detailing where every item is. I sent it to Combat Lobster without looking at it myself, and apparently the layout of the text file is not intuitive.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

As a totally different request, what are people's thoughts on the Zelda Classic game maker? Do they count as romhacks? I'm nowhere near good enough at these sorts of games to show them off in an entertaining manner, but there's a lot of interesting stuff out there for that community...

I guess that'd be more in the domain of the fangames thread.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I wouldn't see Zelda classic as a romhack since it's actually a game engine that people use to build Zelda type adventures.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm of two opinions regarding Zelda Classic.

The first is that Zelda Classic quests are probably more suited to the Fangames thread just by nature of not being romhacks. That's the logical answer.

The second is that there really aren't many Zelda romhacks out there because almost everyone uses ZC instead. Link to the Past romhacking died off very quickly once ZC started gaining traction and Zelda 1 romhacking is relatively unpopular. As such, you could almost consider ZC quests to be *the* Zelda romhacks that otherwise wouldn't exist because the tools aren't advanced enough to allow it.

Everyone's heard of the Parallel Worlds romhack, but how many people know about the ZC quests Lost Isle or Link to the Heavens? Zelda Classic quests have an interesting history and I've seen that the editor's functions are improving more and more with time. Scripting is now possible and has made for the ability to add new items that were never in the original Zelda 1. It's all very impressive.

I think I'm going to allow Zelda Classic quests in here on the basis of my second thought. Of course, it's up to you where you'd want to post any playthrough you do but I won't say no if you start one in this thread!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Death Zebra posted:

WRT Mario hacks I wonder if any of them featuring custom bosses have been released.

There's lots, like most (all?) of the VIPs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jP5JtjGR0

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Please don't play the VIPs, they are bad.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And we're back with a session that didn't corrupt on us. In a way this probably went better because we knew what was coming so we were able to avoid getting stuck on some levels for really long times like we did in the lost footage.

There's a number of lessons on design talked about in here, such as appropriate uses for munchers, real versus fake difficulty and why Puntin' Chuck is a very dangerous enemy to use a lot of.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The yellow pipe wasn't there originally, it appears as a 1-up shortcut once you enter the room the pipe leads to the first time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The levels are good but the "how to romhack" talk is really interesting. I have no interest in ever getting into romhacking (beyond doing a bit with Pokemon here and there in the past), but it's really neat to listen to people who know about it.

Also that coins level had a really cool gimmick and I can imagine how weird it must be to avoid coins. It's like its turning your Mario instincts, honed for decades, against you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Everyone's heard of the Parallel Worlds romhack, but how many people know about the ZC quests Lost Isle or Link to the Heavens? Zelda Classic quests have an interesting history and I've seen that the editor's functions are improving more and more with time. Scripting is now possible and has made for the ability to add new items that were never in the original Zelda 1. It's all very impressive.

Now you got my attention. I didn't realize ZC went at all beyond the first game in scope. I'll have to check these out!

Edit: Comparing them to Parallel Worlds is concerning though. PW is very technically impressive but it is absolutely atrocious to play.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also that coins level had a really cool gimmick and I can imagine how weird it must be to avoid coins. It's like its turning your Mario instincts, honed for decades, against you.

Some indie developer made a platformer based entirely around that premise. It was called Dangerous Dan or something? I can't seem to find it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 25, 2017

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Some indie developer made a platformer based entirely around that premise. It was called Dangerous Dan or something? I can't seem to find it.

Default Dan. Definitely an interesting play after years of platforming.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's great for exactly that reason.

Mak0rz posted:

Now building a whole game around that sounds like the gimmick would wear out its welcome really, really fast.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

frankenfreak posted:

It's great for exactly that reason.

Now building a whole game around that sounds like the gimmick would wear out its welcome really, really fast.

The entire game can be beaten blind a few minutes.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 25, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mak0rz posted:

The entire game can be beaten blind a few minutes.
Good. That sounds about the right length for something like that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That football level is begging for VoiceOfDog whispering "football!" every time you say that word.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, that coin level was really cool. I liked that little meta puzzle at the 2nd half of it too.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The levels are good but the "how to romhack" talk is really interesting. I have no interest in ever getting into romhacking (beyond doing a bit with Pokemon here and there in the past), but it's really neat to listen to people who know about it.

It probably doesn't help that the first half conditions you to do this thing that would be natural in a platformer, then the 2nd half tells you to do otherwise.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I remember someone made a Mario hack (Mario 1, that is) where anything you did that earned you points killed you (with the exception of hitting the flagpole). I don't know if you could actually finish it or not.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I remember someone made a Mario hack (Mario 1, that is) where anything you did that earned you points killed you (with the exception of hitting the flagpole). I don't know if you could actually finish it or not.

It's doable.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FredMSloniker posted:

There's a Communist Mario hack (more than one, actually, I think?) where coins are death; I've seen it in action, and it's pretty challenging.

I've got the first segment of BNW recorded, but at the moment I'm looking for a vdub/avidemux-like for macOS so I can do screengrabs from it. (I've also considered doing FF6 T-Edition, but that really deserves its own thread, preferably by someone who can summarize or translate the dialogue as it's Japanese-only.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FredMSloniker posted:

(with the exception of hitting the flagpole)

What about the time bonus? If you survive that then it's probably fairly easy to finish, otherwise it mostly becomes an exercise of patience as oldskool just showed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since your recording issue was OBS crashing, you might want to consider (if you have not done so already) switching to having OBS recording as .flv instead of .mp4. My understanding is that if it crashes while recording an .flv it'll be recoverable, .mp4 not so much.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dr. Fetus posted:

It probably doesn't help that the first half conditions you to do this thing that would be natural in a platformer, then the 2nd half tells you to do otherwise.
It probably does help though that no attempt is made to "trick" you. That block after the mid point does blatantly tell you that following the coins is bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FPzero posted:

I'm of two opinions regarding Zelda Classic.

The first is that Zelda Classic quests are probably more suited to the Fangames thread just by nature of not being romhacks. That's the logical answer.

The second is that there really aren't many Zelda romhacks out there because almost everyone uses ZC instead. Link to the Past romhacking died off very quickly once ZC started gaining traction and Zelda 1 romhacking is relatively unpopular. As such, you could almost consider ZC quests to be *the* Zelda romhacks that otherwise wouldn't exist because the tools aren't advanced enough to allow it.

I think I'm going to allow Zelda Classic quests in here on the basis of my second thought. Of course, it's up to you where you'd want to post any playthrough you do but I won't say no if you start one in this thread!

well if you're talking romhacks there's always http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2136/

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Ah! After a thousand years, I'm free!! Now, time to conquer the world! Let's play Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World!

FF6: Brave New World is a complete overhaul of FF6; very few stones have been left unturned, for better or for worse. Because it's primarily interesting for the gameplay and not the, ah, judicious (:eyeroll:) script changes, however, I'm only going to include dialogue shots where required to remind folks of where we are in the storyline.

Didn't we go through this hack once already?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but a lot has changed since then. Besides, if you really want to see what the script edits are like, the previous LP can give you an idea of their quality.

Hey, isn't BTB a--

We don't talk about that, son. Focus on the hack, not the hacking team.

Part One: The First Invasion of Narshe
Interlude One: The Beginner's House
Part Two: The Castle in the Burning Sands
Part Three: Running Through City Streets and Mountain Passes
Part Four: White-Water Rafting

Characters (may contain spoilers for later characters (:rolleyes:) if you're not up to date.)

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 12, 2017

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
This came out recently. I gave it a play through and it's really good, especially for a hack of the original Metroid. Lots of technically impressive stuff too.

Anyone given Super Mario Bros. 3 Mix a try? It's a really great SMB 3 hack and a great Mario experience overall.

PixoPoxo fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 26, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Is anywhere near as tough as Rockman CX?
Couldn't even make it past Fire Mario in that thing.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 26, 2017

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
In defense of the BNW script, it truly has received quite a lot of tweaks since the older thread. The godawful Celes FC monologue not only was turned into inoffensive (if hasty) character development, and actually serves a gameplay purpose. The excessive swearing has been quite toned down, especially with Kefka, so now it's mostly just Setzer being a dick and Relm being a lil' sweary kid. The internet/referential humor I can't really defend (the extended ReadMe has 6500 words dedicated to listing and explaining every loving reference...), but most of it is thankfully limited to generic NPCs, side content and item descriptions... Okay, maybe not the Iron Maiden references, those are not sneaky in the slightest.

Oh, and the Dirty Undies, do have a purpose: they prevent random encounters in the mines so that Lv1 Terra doesn't get destroyed by post-Magitek Facility encounters.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 26, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Miacis posted:

Oh, and the Dirty Undies, do have a purpose: they prevent random encounters in the mines so that Lv1 Terra doesn't get destroyed by post-Magitek Facility encounters.

I can appreciate the effect without being a fan of the name.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

Now you got my attention. I didn't realize ZC went at all beyond the first game in scope. I'll have to check these out!

Edit: Comparing them to Parallel Worlds is concerning though. PW is very technically impressive but it is absolutely atrocious to play.

I missed this edit earlier. Zelda Classic definitely has its share of Parallel Worlds difficulty/bullshit quests but there are a lot more quests out there in general meaning you're likely able to find something to fit your search. On the LttP hacking side, I can think of about 5 major hacks that fully revamp dungeons and overworlds instead of just making minor modifications and Parallel Worlds is the big one people know. Lost Isle and Link to the Heavens are fairly well known and popular and highly-rated within the ZC community but if you've never looked up Zelda Classic before you're unlikely to have heard of them. That's the only reason I'm making the comparison. Personally, I played Lost Isle about 2/3 of the way one time and didn't finish it because I'm bad at finishing games. It's definitely hard, no doubt about it, and I died a lot playing it. Even so, I enjoyed every minute of it. It was incredibly impressive at the time of its original release, which I want to say was sometime around 2006. It's not perfect, by far (you can't buy healing potions, only find a handful of them strewn around the world map, bad decision) but the dungeon design is interesting and puzzling and the whole game is made even more impressive when you realize it's running off a modified Zelda 1-style engine with minimal scripting added.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 27, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Good to know. I'll take a look!

Now that i think about it, considering certain recent events in both the fangame and ROMhacking communities of Nintendo games it's a wonder ZC is even still around.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm terrible at Zelda but I'd love to see someone play through some cool ZC maps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if we're talking crazy zelda classic poo poo there's always ZODIAC http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&id=224

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Aerdan posted:

Apologies also for image quality--I told OBS to record lossless and it was like "lol gently caress you", apparently.

Just noticed this. Make sure your encoding bitrate is high enough. OBS will record lossless, or close to it, but if the actual encoding bitrate is too low it'll still come out blurry. 2000-3000 is good for streaming, but for recording I usually like somewhere around 6000. Of course, if you're already doing something like this then I'm not sure what the cause would be.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We go through two levels we liked and one that we didn't. Always make sure a level has a long enough timer that a new player who has never seen the level before has a chance of beating it all in one go. When in doubt, add an extra 100 seconds.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 2

Actual dungeons are completed this time, revealing the horrible randomization of boss drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Do those thieves still say, "Keep it between us, okay?" and give you something? Was that reward randomized, too?

• Locked thread