Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CPColin posted:

Do those thieves still say, "Keep it between us, okay?" and give you something? Was that reward randomized, too?

I forgot to even try, heh. And Combat Lobster could tell me, if he could read the spoiler file...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FPzero posted:

Just noticed this. Make sure your encoding bitrate is high enough. OBS will record lossless, or close to it, but if the actual encoding bitrate is too low it'll still come out blurry. 2000-3000 is good for streaming, but for recording I usually like somewhere around 6000. Of course, if you're already doing something like this then I'm not sure what the cause would be.

Apparently what happened was, I clicked the wrong button when the space warning came up for lossless and I didn't notice. :bang: It won't be an issue for future updates.

e: We'll look at the Beginner's House probably tonight or tomorrow, though that's gonna be mostly a text dump.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You need the Master Sword to get the items from the monuments, that's why it wasn't working.

What does Sahasrahla normally give you after the Desert Palace? I'm assuming it's money? I don't think I've ever went back to see him after getting the boots.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

What does Sahasrahla normally give you after the Desert Palace? I'm assuming it's money? I don't think I've ever went back to see him after getting the boots.

He gives you boots after Eastern Palace and that's it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CirclMastr posted:

He gives you boots after Eastern Palace and that's it.

But you spoke to him after the Eastern Palace and got nothing and received the heart piece after the Desert Palace :confused:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was the problem. The Eastern Palace reward was the Desert Palace pendant, so it didn't trigger Sahasrahla's script that normally would give the boots, but now would give something else.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't forget that you can enter the grave in the cemetery that's usually surrounded by Titan Glove rocks. It's the one that would normally have the Magic Cape in it. You might also be able to visit the cave that would normally hold the Cane of Byrna on dark world death mountain right now, but I never remember exactly where that cave entrance is located so it might actually be out of your reach.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

CPColin posted:

Do those thieves still say, "Keep it between us, okay?" and give you something? Was that reward randomized, too?

As far as I can remember from when I was regularly playing the randomizer, it does.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mak0rz posted:

But you spoke to him after the Eastern Palace and got nothing and received the heart piece after the Desert Palace :confused:

It randomized the pendants so that he got the desert pendant from the eastern palace, and the eastern pendant from the desert.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
(This part is almost entirely :words:, so I don't think the SSLP test poster is really necessary.)

Interlude One: The Beginner's House

I didn't touch on the Beginner's House in the first update because the mechanics it discusses really deserve a post of their own.

As I mentioned in Part One, BNW implements an optional grind mode (which defaults to 'allow XP gain') so that players can grind for cash or spell points without worrying about overleveling. The hack authors would like to remind you that if you underlevel as a result of not turning it back on, you get to keep the pieces of your broken sanity, only in not so many words.

Save points no longer allow you to use Tents, so don't expect to get away with running light on healing items. As I mentioned, there are 'restore points' which heal your party fully when you encounter them--the savepoint we encountered in Narshe's esper mine is one of them.

Items! Dried Meat is your source for early fixed-amount healing; tonics and potions do the Tales-series percentage-of-maximum HP recovery thing. Lock's Steal command, as mentioned in Part One, only takes items from Human foes; attempting to steal from nonhumans will waste your time.

Evasion works! Light armour aids in evasion, heavy armour in tanking. Know the difference. Magic Evasion will let you dodge any magic attack, even those with an accuracy a Hit Rate over 100; attacks with no Hit Rate always hit, however. On the other hand, your foes don't have Magic Evasion, so magic attacks will always hit them.

The Beginner's House trap chest has a dinosaur in it. I guess they figured having a Silver Leo Lobo in there was unconvincing or something. We get a Phoenix Down from it, though.

Attributes don't change over the course of the game via esper use, which is huge. I'll talk about this more when we get to Zozo and get our first espers, though.

So let's talk about what attributes do now:

• Stamina affects the likeliness of a condition to 'stick' to the character, and it also shields against Gravity (percentile damage, like Demi), Drain (HP theft), and Death (kills you) attacks. Stamina increases recovery from Regen and decreases damage from Sap, and reduces--and makes more consistent--damage from magical attacks. Finally, Stamina impacts the strength of abilities like Gil GP Toss and the Remedy and Regen spells, and reduces Dance's chance to stumble rather than do a non-native Dance routine.
• Vigor improves physical attack damage and does for physical damage what Stamina does for magical damage.
• Speed and Magic still do what they say on the tin, pretty much.

The Jump ability has been somewhat revamped; it increases damage from weapons' randocast effects in addition to doing more damage than Fight (which goes up even more with a spear, particularly one used in both hands). Rods consume MP (with Fight) to do extra damage with randocasts, too. Katanas and spears may be used two-handed, and claws, knives, and a few other weapons can be dual-wielded--we saw this with Lock's loadout. Dual-wielding reduces damage from each weapon by 25%. Paintbrushes have a healing attack now, and Sketch requires one in the same way that both Seal Sword Runic and Bushido require a sword. (On the other hand, Sketch isn't a potential gamewrecker any more.)

The back row halves the damage characters deal (including many Blitzes and Bushido techniques, as well as some Tools), while reducing damage taken by 25%. Throw, GP Toss, and Jump ignore this damage penalty, as do some weapons. Said penalty also applies to randocasts from weapons. Furthermore, all damage is magical unless explicitly stated otherwise. (The included 'printme' details the sources of physical damage, since in-game descriptions were trimmed for space reasons. I won't go over which abilities those are because I ran out of fucks to give while trying to read the 'printme'--don't use 5.5pt font for things you expect people to read, guys.)

Abilities with 'free' targeting (most spells, GP Toss, Throw with shuriken, etc.) can be made to target multiple foes, at the cost of dealing 50% of the single-target damage. This penalty also applies to some multi-target abilities, such as the ninja scrolls. Speaking of damage reduction, Defend halves all damage until the user's next action.

Counter-attacks based on the ability used may occur more frequently, even if the original attack kills the foe using the counter. AI behaviour will also generally change based on whether the foe is near death, has certain conditions, or has lost its allies.

Negative status conditions!

• Poison works as you expect.
• Blind/Darkness halves physical accuracy, even for abilities that normally wouldn't miss.
Kappa Imp's still impin'.
• Sleep works as you expect.
Berserk Bserk works as you would expect.
Confuse Muddle works as you would expect.
Silence Mute disables all abilities that use MP (most enemy attacks don't).
• Sap is milder than Poison, but can only be cleared with Regen.
• Zombie is, well, zombie. (Instant-death protection blocks this condition.)
Petrified Stoned has the usual characteristics.

Remedies, uh, remedy (:v:) all of the above except for Sap and Zombie. Additional note: Slow and Sap work on almost all foes, including bosses and mini-bosses, and can be cleared by Haste and Regen, respectively--and equipment bestowing Haste/Regen render the wearer immune to their respective reversions. Libra(ry) Scan can be used to show all status conditions on a given foe.

Undeadness works as usual, though foes have a few extra perks: immunity to most conditions, and Death Doom (among other things) has its effect inverted when targeting undead. On the other hand, they're susceptible to death-by-MP-drain. The usual Fire and Holy elemental weaknesses apply, in addition to time magic and Undead-Killer weapons.

Vanish and Blink Image work as they always do (causing physical attacks to miss, and in Vanish's case causing magical attacks to always hit). However, the ol' Vanish/Doom (or Vanish/Dezone X-Zone) trick no longer works. Reflect will trigger on most free- and single-target magical abilities, but not randocasts and definitely not already-Reflected abilities. Protect Safe and Shell continue to do as you would expect, but they (and Reflect) now appear in the status column when targeting allies in battle. Reraise Rerise turns the ATB bar green while it progresses. Float protects from all ground-based attacks, not merely earth elemental attacks.

Tina's Morph command is now a toggle, rather than a timed status condition. It boosts all damage and healing output by 50%, but all damage taken by Tina is doubled. However, this penalty is modified by Tina's Stamina.

The Runic command absorbs all white, black, and gray spells, but not blue magic used by enemies.

Elemental hints: Poison works well on human foes, lightning and water elemental attacks fry mechanical enemies, lightning also crisps up fliers nicely, and ice elemental attacks do a wicked number on saurians. Earth and wind elemental attacks, while powerful, don't exploit any weaknesses. Gravity damage (Demi et al) works on all enemies that don't resist the relevant element (and aren't bosses or mini-bosses). Lastly, holy and recovery elemental abilities hit undead weakpoints for massivve damage. As a point of interest: resistances trump weaknesses on multi-element attacks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

hmm. That's super interesting. It's got a lot of good ideas, and a few bad ones (why are randocasts halved from the back row, for instance, or why does gravity element work on flying?).

I have to give the hack credit, they definitely put a lot of thought into reworking everything. Can't wait til we get to the espers and the strategies the re-kajiggering create.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Choco1980 posted:

why does gravity element work on flying?

Hasn't it always? The element is "gravity" but it usually manifests as miniature black holes or something like that, not pulling things toward the earth. No reason flying creatures would resist that.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Choco1980 posted:

why are randocasts halved from the back row, for instance?

Random casts are also affected by row in vanilla FF6, as they don't follow the rules of regular casts (they can't be Runic'd for instance), and act more like an Attack follow-up. I imagine the BNW guys could have made the casts independent from the row multiplier, but it'd probably also disable the Jump multiplier and auto-crit-for-MP multiplier they get, which would make rods and a couple endgame lances much less valuable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Choco1980 posted:

It randomized the pendants so that he got the desert pendant from the eastern palace, and the eastern pendant from the desert.

Oh that makes sense. Never even noticed the pendant's colors.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Choco1980 posted:

why does gravity element work on flying?

Gravity isn't actually an element, qua element. It's a damage class. (The dialogue actually says 'fractional damage', but that looked silly so I explained it a different way.) This means that a fire-elemental gravity attack would be blocked by fire immunity, for instance.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd really love a thorough Link to the Past hack that's not Parallel Worlds or Goddess of Wisdom. Too bad Calatia is dead because I loved his Outlands hack

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I would too. Problem is that I haven't heard of any such hacks being made. I'm convinced that 99% of Zelda modders use Zelda Classic these days thanks to ease of access, where LttP is still struggling to even have a working editor. That said, Parallel Worlds did get some kind of update a few years ago that redid all the terrible dungeons. I don't know much else about it because there were some definite problems with the hack and the dungeons were just the largest of them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Parallel Worlds did get some kind of update a few years ago that redid all the terrible dungeons.

Well they missed two because that's how many I managed to get through before I realizing PW is bad :colbert:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember playing and beating the original release of PW probably 10 years ago. I think I knew it had major problems even back then but the novelty of a full, complete LttP hack was enough to keep me playing. I doubt I could do it again, even with the "fixed" version. Who knows if that version's any good in the end either.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Since no one's posted it yet, there's actually been another big update to PW, not long ago. Like a month or something.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/

Apparently there will soon be a similar update to the rebalanced version from a while back, to bring a bunch of new features to that too.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
If I remember correctly Zelda Classic has been used with LTTP tilesets before. So it's entirely possible to get a LTTP like game out of it. Heck it even has a Megaman game made with it, terrible as it may be.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That honestly doesn't seem like much considering the biggest criticisms of PW. The dungeons almost all need to be overhauled (although I did like Nayru's Bay). A ton of them are great in theory but aren't executed well. Impa's Ways, for instance, is 100% trial and error, as is Nabooru's Hole. Ruto's Fortress is an exercise in tedium, and Saria's Garden is a heaping, steaming pile of fertilizer

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 30, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FPzero posted:

I'm convinced that 99% of Zelda modders use Zelda Classic these days thanks to ease of access, where LttP is still struggling to even have a working editor.

Hyrule Magic is a goddamn clusterfuck, yes. It's very easy to accidentally your hack if you're not careful, and most people aren't.

There are a few complete hacks that aren't PW or GoW, though. I can't attest to their quality, however.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kurui Reiten posted:

Since no one's posted it yet, there's actually been another big update to PW, not long ago. Like a month or something.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/

Apparently there will soon be a similar update to the rebalanced version from a while back, to bring a bunch of new features to that too.

Yeah, this is the version I played a couple weeks ago and it wasn't much better than the one I tried in 2008 or so.

I'd be interested in trying the Remodel but unless they fix up those dungeons I don't see much point.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

although I did like Nayru's Bay

:psyduck: It's just a handful of narrow walkways, a giant pool full of water tektites and enemy floor tiles, and a tiny cramped room of Armos Knights.

There's also a boss battle I guess but it's basically a cinematic victory because hackers never seem to realize that allowing Link to get behind Mothula allows you to kill it without it being a threat at all. Not that I'm complaining after that awful Armos Knight battle.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doseku posted:

If I remember correctly Zelda Classic has been used with LTTP tilesets before. So it's entirely possible to get a LTTP like game out of it. Heck it even has a Megaman game made with it, terrible as it may be.

I've played a tiny bit of that one. What little I played wasn't terrible. The initial sword weapon was kinda terrible and the map was non intuitive, but it started getting fun once I had the buster. I should go back and play that again some time.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 3
So begins the eternal quest for the Lamp.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 3

Is there the chance it'd downgrade your tempered sword if you went for either of the upgrades?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

oldskool posted:

Is there the chance it'd downgrade your tempered sword if you went for either of the upgrades?

Nope, the romhack fixes that. Like I (think I) mentioned in the first episode, on a normal Japanese 1.0 cart, if you used sequence breaking to get an upgraded version of an item, and then got the earlier version, the earlier version would overwrite the upgraded one. Here, you just keep the upgraded version.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 3

What was in the tower chest?

Also don't forget the would-be heart piece on the east side of Ganon's pyramid.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

What was in the tower chest?

According to the spoiler file, the map.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 3

So the new version randomizes swords, pendants and crystals, but only among each other, so you can't find them in chests? What is even the point then? Especially crystals, they all have the same function anyway. Who cares if you get the Misery Mire crystal from the Ice Palace?

I hope I've got this wrong, because if there's even a chance to get an early sword upgrade and kill Moldorm faster (or not even need to) I am all over that. What an awful, awful boss.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
It's easy to get caught up in Kaizo and ParallelWorlds when talking about hacks, but are there any that anyone would recommend to play? Somebody mentioned Super Mario Bros 3Mix, where the hacker even hacked in a save feature.

A good LP (needs archives?) on a hack done on the forums was Rockman 4 Minus Infinity by SnoruntPyro. Some incredible new features were added the game but the level design was iffy in places.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

magikid posted:

So the new version randomizes swords, pendants and crystals, but only among each other, so you can't find them in chests? What is even the point then? Especially crystals, they all have the same function anyway. Who cares if you get the Misery Mire crystal from the Ice Palace?

I hope I've got this wrong, because if there's even a chance to get an early sword upgrade and kill Moldorm faster (or not even need to) I am all over that. What an awful, awful boss.

Well you can only get the item from Sahasrahla after you get the blue pendant, but that's the only consequence as far as I can tell.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

magikid posted:

Sahasralah's item is the time it matters in the light world, and it also comes up in the dark world so you'll see that later. Moldorm - unless he can get hit by some item like the Cane - is unfortunately before anything useful.

Of course, if you get lucky enough to be able to sequence break into the dark world and get the blacksmith sword upgrade, there's that. I think I could have done so if I wanted, but I went into the playthrough with the attitude that sequence breaking is there if I need it, not something to be abused.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think the super bomb becomes available only after collecting a certain crystal (or number of crystals?)

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

sudonim posted:

It's easy to get caught up in Kaizo and ParallelWorlds when talking about hacks, but are there any that anyone would recommend to play? Somebody mentioned Super Mario Bros 3Mix, where the hacker even hacked in a save feature.

I've been playing through Kola Kingdom Quest, it works like a good vanilla Mario with a more colorful pack of tilesets. It saves after every level and removes the level timer. I've been enjoying it.

Which I say, then I reach the Al-Koopa Training Camp with the exploding koopas.

Then the Hill Top Zone music that doesn't remotely work on SNES.

They can't all be winners.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Which I say, then I reach the Al-Koopa Training Camp with the exploding koopas.

Ah, the early days of ROM Hackin-

quote:

Release Date: February 2015

:suicide:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah, the early days of ROM Hackin-

:suicide:

And then the icing on the cake: description says it needs a ROM with the NOINTRO checksum but the sidebar says it needs a header :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Well, gently caress. I have footage for Narshe to the other end of Mt Koltz recorded, but avidemux is making GBS threads itself (:argh:) due to the uncompressed frames (it has zero idea what to do with them). If this is unrecoverable (I'll upload a sample and let the Tech Fort have at it after this post), I'm going to have to redo the entire game up to that point, and the screenshot quality's not going to improve all that much.

(Good news is, mpv can play it, albeit sluggishly, so if all else fails I can probably run it through ffmpeg or mencoder...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No real tips to add here today because both levels are very good!

• Locked thread