Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That palette fuckery was real pretty.

E: VLDC update bottom of last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The back half of Midnight Arbor really reminded me of Moonside. I really like that black and bright blue negative look.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
M.A.N.P is pretty obviously Midnight Arbor National Park. :v:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah, that entire part of the map is where they put the levels that are entirely too long and too difficult for the lack of checkpoints. Midnight Arbor is entirely too long and requires way too much precision for how long it is. (Also don't worry you didn't miss anything, the top part just leads to a bonus ^_^ area and leads straight to the exit)

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
SMRPG Hack: Reserve_22 (1/2)

Today for you the thread of Romhacks, I have a hack of Super Mario RPG for the SNES. I am not alone on this with me is Miz Kriss.
This hack starts from the beginning of the game with throwing us into a completely different area.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The audio is that video is really quiet; can you normalize the audio in the next video before uploading?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
It's time for a Megaman Romhack, and what better romhack to start us off than ROCKMAN CX.

Rockman CX is a ROM hack of Rockman 2 by Zenkaku Himajin, completed on August 23rd, 2016. Compared to other Rockman 2 hacks such as Rockman No Constancy, CX is a much larger project, reskinning the entire game into something that kind of resembles the Mega Man X series if you squint, with Megaman X3's intro stage, a MMX-style dash, and an entirely different plot, starring the devilish Rockman CX.

Unfortunately, Himajin has no idea what level design is.

Rockman CX #1: Oh no! A rock!
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Simply Simon)

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

CPColin posted:

The audio is that video is really quiet; can you normalize the audio in the next video before uploading?

I didn't noticed that, thank you for pointing it out before I got the next part uploaded. I'll make sure to boost the game up higher in the next bit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

I'm glad you brought Simon along. Dude has like a PhD in Mega Man so his commentary is invaluable.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Incidentally, if people want to do randomizer runs for the thread, here is a big list of randomizers.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man what even just happened in that Megaman hack? I gotta stay tuned!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are there any non-Mega Man 2 ROM hacks besides Minus Infinity (MM4) and Wily's Dream Space (MM5)? I've always liked the NES-ified soundtracks for each hack.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Heavy Sigh posted:

CAN you actually get killed by Mega Man's charged shot at the end there? I think I tested it just to see and I didn't die.

Anyhow yeah, this one is not a good hack in spite of the scripted events and such being so impressive. Minus Infinity may have had some iffy moments, but "iffy" was the worst you could say about them. CX was very frustrating for me personally. Especially since the boss music this game uses is from my all-time favorite Pokemon knockoff.

EDIT:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Are there any non-Mega Man 2 ROM hacks besides Minus Infinity (MM4) and Wily's Dream Space (MM5)? I've always liked the NES-ified soundtracks for each hack.

Off the top of my head there's Burst Chaser for MM3, which doubles Mega Man's horizontal speed, Air Sliding for MM5, which lets you slide in the air, and BCAS for MM4 which combines the gimmicks of the previous two. All three design their stages around these gimmicks.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 2, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

get that OUT of my face posted:

III, IV, V, VI, VII, X1, and a lonely X3 hack.

And that's just all the ones hosted on RHDN.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The romhacks that were recommended in the main megaman thread were two Rockman 6 hacks, Rockman 6 Innocent and Rockman Skype. Didn't get too far in them before they got buried in my folders somewhere - as much as I like the series, I'm bad at megaman - but they were pretty good hacks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Why would you ever choose to hack MM6, the game with probably the worst engine after MM2? I've seen LPs of okay MM6 hacks but I'm still baffled. MM5 is so good, Capcom made a second official GAME with that engine (Darkwing Duck), why not use that? Too hard to give up Plant Man's advanced AI routine?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

No real tips to add here today because both levels are very good!

The music and setting for the second level reminded me of Knytt Underground, which is a good game for chilling out and exploring weird places.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've since been informed that the green pipe that neither of us remembered at the beginning of Midnight Arbor is actually hidden behind invisible 1-up checkpoint tiles. The game tracks if you found 1-ups hidden with them and by placing objects underneath those tiles, the objects will be revealed when the game deletes those tiles. That's ridiculously clever and I never knew something like that was possible in the 10 years I've been hacking SMW. I can give a better explanation later if anyone's still confused (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know SMW even HAD 1-up checkpoint tiles.).

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ephraim225 posted:

CAN you actually get killed by Mega Man's charged shot at the end there? I think I tested it just to see and I didn't die.

If you're playing on an old emulator, yes. (The death occurred while I was first streaming this game, in an older version of FCEUX. Testing it myself on the current version didn't let me die.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FPzero posted:

I can give a better explanation later if anyone's still confused (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know SMW even HAD 1-up checkpoint tiles.).
Please do! I love to hear about arcane stuff like that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FPzero posted:

I've since been informed that the green pipe that neither of us remembered at the beginning of Midnight Arbor is actually hidden behind invisible 1-up checkpoint tiles. The game tracks if you found 1-ups hidden with them and by placing objects underneath those tiles, the objects will be revealed when the game deletes those tiles. That's ridiculously clever and I never knew something like that was possible in the 10 years I've been hacking SMW. I can give a better explanation later if anyone's still confused (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know SMW even HAD 1-up checkpoint tiles.).

Wait, did this even get used for anything in the actual game? This the first time I've heard of something like this. :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Can you explain it for us dumb people because this went way over my head

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Garbonix posted:

SMRPG Hack: Reserve_22 (1/2)

Today for you the thread of Romhacks, I have a hack of Super Mario RPG for the SNES. I am not alone on this with me is Miz Kriss.
This hack starts from the beginning of the game with throwing us into a completely different area.

:psyduck: Why are there approximately six dozen battles in the opening area? An (admittedly interesting) puzzle room with no fail state...that leads to a room with a 2/3 chance of sending you backwards? A bullet sponge crystal enemy that consisently uses a move that halves your offense output? Is this SMRPG ROM hack codenamed Dick Move Edition?

I'll give them credit, so far the dialogue looks pretty spot on as far as tone. SMRPG's one of my favorite games so I'm hoping there's more of the character development/dialogue moving forward.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mak0rz posted:

Can you explain it for us dumb people because this went way over my head
As far as I picked it up reading stuff in raocow's forum, it works something like this: Super Mario World has an obscure mechanic where if you pass certain checkpoints in a row without dying, the final one will spawn a 1-up mushroom jumping up out of nowhere. I don't know where and even if that was used in the actual game, but it's there. These checkpoints are objects in the game, and, much like Dragon Coins, once you collected them all, all of them vanish forever. Same is true for a moon, you get the 3-Up bonus once and then it's gone.

The thing is, you can hide objects behind other objects. If the "top" object disappears, the hidden one appears. It's been done a few times with Dragon Coins in the past, where after collecting all five and getting the 1-Up, a door spawns behind the first one or so, opening up a secret exit that can only be gotten by collecting 'em all. A rather new thing is doing the same with the 1-Up checkpoints, which are invisible, can be placed by the level creator at spots where you have to pass through, and therefore elegantly give you a guaranteed shortcut after going through a certain portion of a level. It's rather brilliant!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It's actually really cool and a clever way to do a midpoint on a level with a secret exit.

Basically it looks like this in the editor:

And this when you grab them. It has to be in order, and since we lost the first recording... I don't really remember where it showed up in the actual level.

With the checkpoints themselves you can do some cool things. The game doesn't care as long as you hit them in order with 1, 2, and 3 coming before 4. So a player could hit 1222234, or such. Each one you pass trips a flag before the final one 4 does, essentially.

Though I'm not sure if they're used elsewhere (I'm sure they are, it's just 6 AM and I don't remember) they're used up on this cloudy part of Cookie Mountain.

EDIT: And the reason I made this post but forgot in making pictures, coins also can hide blocks, but only if you leave the sublevel and come back. If you die or exit the level the regular coins will come back, and they only act like this when inserted as objects. If inserted as Direct Map16 they will always come back. There's some more quirks about that.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 3, 2017

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

No real tips to add here today because both levels are very good!

Man, so far most of the new music has been okay, but nothing really stood out as being especially great until Midnight Arbor. Kinda wish it were available standalone. E: Hunting down the level design thread gives the music as "Mt. Seishun" by one SNN, but it's not the same music. Dang.

Double E: Doesn't look like the actual tune is listed anywhere on the site; you'd think they'd at least credit the artists for the non-remixed tracks, whoever they are.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 3, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Simply Simon posted:

As far as I picked it up reading stuff in raocow's forum, it works something like this: Super Mario World has an obscure mechanic where if you pass certain checkpoints in a row without dying, the final one will spawn a 1-up mushroom jumping up out of nowhere. I don't know where and even if that was used in the actual game, but it's there. These checkpoints are objects in the game, and, much like Dragon Coins, once you collected them all, all of them vanish forever. Same is true for a moon, you get the 3-Up bonus once and then it's gone.

The thing is, you can hide objects behind other objects. If the "top" object disappears, the hidden one appears. It's been done a few times with Dragon Coins in the past, where after collecting all five and getting the 1-Up, a door spawns behind the first one or so, opening up a secret exit that can only be gotten by collecting 'em all. A rather new thing is doing the same with the 1-Up checkpoints, which are invisible, can be placed by the level creator at spots where you have to pass through, and therefore elegantly give you a guaranteed shortcut after going through a certain portion of a level. It's rather brilliant!

That's so cool. There's still so much about this game I've played to death for 20 years I don't know!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tyty and Simply Simon both did a good job explaining the concept of the 1-up checkpoints. Now that I'm not sleeping, let me also have a stab at it. I'm using a level Tyty and I made recently as an example to modify. There are 6 parts here and I'll explain them all.

1. This is the Add Objects window in Lunar Magic. These 1-up checkpoints are considered Extended Objects. For the most part there isn't any real difference between an Extended Object and a Regular Object, but you're more likely to find interactive objects in this menu. What's more important is that you see there are 4 of these checkpoints.
2. Here you can see them laid out directly in the level. If you want to use these you'll want the player to run through them all without noticing because, well, they're invisible. If you scatter them throughout the level, chances are the player will never touch them. Remember, they must be touched in order for the #4 checkpoint to spawn a 1-up.
3. To hide something with these checkpoints, you need to use either the #1, #2 or #3 checkpoint and place them on top of the object you're trying to hide. Super Mario World has z-ordering built into its engine. What this means is objects can overlap each other. It's usually used to decrease the amount of ground tiles that are being used because you can put a swathe of dirt somewhere and place it really far back in the z-order to fill any holes that occur when building terrain. In this case, we're using the z-order of these checkpoints to overlap a pipe. At this point it's important to understand something about how the game handles one-time collection objects.
When you collect all 5 Dragon Coins in a level, they will not respawn if you play the level again. The same goes for 3-up Moons and these 1-up checkpoints. They will all remain gone if you collect them until the next time you turn off and restart the game. In the case of the 1-up checkpoints, all four different checkpoints will be removed from the level once you collect the 1-up and return to the level after beating it/dying in it. Because of this, and the z-order phenomenon, you can hide objects like pipes, ?-blocks, basically any object underneath these checkpoints, Yoshi Coins or 3-up Moons. The checkpoints are the best choice for hiding objects though because they are completely invisible and the player won't even have any idea that there's a hidden invisible object there until it suddenly appears on the next life or replay. (As Tyty mentioned, this also sort of works for regular coins inserted as Regular Objects. Coins return after death though, so to hide something behind them you'd have to force the player to reload the level and pass by a point where something is hidden without them dying. It's not very practical but it is possible.)
4. Ingame, the 1-up checkpoints are hiding the red pipe. Mario can jump through where it would be without any issue because again, the checkpoints act like blank air tiles when touched. I specifically used the #3 checkpoint to cover the pipe just so the game didn't start tracking that I had touched the points yet, since it's looking for the #1 point to be hit first. Honestly though, as long as you aren't using the #4 checkpoint, you can use whichever checkpoint to cover things that you want to (though you could also use the #4 if you didn't mind the possibility of a million 1-ups being spawned should Mario jump through the covered area after hitting 1 2 and 3).
5. Once Mario hits the checkpoints and collects the 1-up...
6. Upon dying and restarting the level, the red pipe has appeared and is fully interactive. I could have used this to give Mario easy access to the midpoint on subsequent playthroughs.

What's notable here with the VLDC is that the game makes all of these temporarily disappearing objects like Yoshi Coins, Moons and checkpoints permanently collected. This is why even though we lost a recording and only resumed it a week later, the pipe in Midnight Arbor was still visible. It's an extremely cool way of hiding things that when used properly can totally enhance a level's playability.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That's pretty cool. I assume hiding objects with the checkpoints wasn't used in the base game at all?

Semi-related question that I've been wondering for a while: Does the base game silently use the Chocolate Island 2 gimmick in any other stage?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh, that's why VDLC has the 1up reset feature? I was wondering what that was for.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

That's pretty cool. I assume hiding objects with the checkpoints wasn't used in the base game at all?

Semi-related question that I've been wondering for a while: Does the base game silently use the Chocolate Island 2 gimmick in any other stage?

I don't think the original game even used z-ordering that much. There's some instances for terrain certainly, but never to hide things. It's one of those things romhackers discovered was possible after spending time looking at the engine. Best part is that it doesn't require any assembly or anything to work since it just uses base game object interactions and how it stores things to RAM.

As for Chocolate Island 2, no it is a unique level structure. In fact, if you want to see/edit the alternate sublevels for that level you actually have to open up the appropriate Level Address instead of just opening up the Level Number. The game just overwrites levels CF and CE, the Choco Island 2 sublevels with the appropriate sublevel depending on...coin count I think it was? Whatever the criteria was for determining the level you go to, it just subs in different levels onto that Level Number. So the pipes are always sending Mario to Levels CF and then CE, but putting different levels on the other end depending on what criteria you met.

If we ever get to a Switch Palace (should be next session) I can hopefully explain my favorite dumb piece of trivia about this game. SMW is such a hacked together game. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

As for Chocolate Island 2, no it is a unique level structure. In fact, if you want to see/edit the alternate sublevels for that level you actually have to open up the appropriate Level Address instead of just opening up the Level Number. The game just overwrites levels CF and CE, the Choco Island 2 sublevels with the appropriate sublevel depending on...coin count I think it was? Whatever the criteria was for determining the level you go to, it just subs in different levels onto that Level Number. So the pipes are always sending Mario to Levels CF and then CE, but putting different levels on the other end depending on what criteria you met.

Ah, ok. Neat!

Also the criteria are different depending on which part of the level you're in. Chocolate Island 2 has four areas: The first one is always the same, the second one has three variants depending on how many coins you have when you enter the pipe, the third has three variants depending on how much time you have left on the counter when you enter the pipe in area 2 (the first of which has the key exit; so the secret to getting it is just play through the level as fast as possible), and the fourth area has two variants depending on how many dragon coins you collected by the time you enter the pipe in area 3.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/e/e1/Chocolateisland-2.png

FPzero posted:

If we ever get to a Switch Palace (should be next session) I can hopefully explain my favorite dumb piece of trivia about this game. SMW is such a hacked together game. :v:

Looking forward to this. Couldn't figure out any of the switch palace puzzles at all, save for the red one.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 3, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 4

The quest for the lamp, part 1

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

This also marks the start of shenanigans on my part.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 4

The quest for the lamp, part 1
Have you checked the spots where the magic medallions are supposed to be since going to the Lost Woods and claiming the Tempered Sword? I'm pretty sure those obelisk thingies are scripted to only give you the medallions after you get the Master Sword, and the pedestal in the Lost Woods sets the flag. I know you checked once before the Tower of Hera and once after the Tower, but I don't think you have since pulling the sword. Disregard this message if Combat Lobster checked the spoiler file and told you they don't have anything or they've been swapped with Rupees or Arrows or some nonsense.

The easy way to tell if you pulling on those tongues in the ice dungeon will do anything is that the tongues of the statues who can't be pulled end at the bottom of the statue. If the tongue protrudes a pixel or two beyond the bottom of the statue, pulling the tongue will do something.

Try tossing the Boomerang and the Shield in the fountain at the Waterfall of Wishing anyways, see what you get. You can always reload if the game doesn't give you the item back. It would be hilarious if you toss the Boomerang in and get the Magic Powder or something; you already know where the Magic Boomerang is.

The Quake Medallion can't get you into Misery Mire, but it can get you into Turtle Rock, although I suppose you can't really do anything there until you get the Staff of Somaria. Bombos is the only Medallion completely unnecessary to beat the game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Are the delayed reactions a consequence of your recording setup, or is the commentary track behind?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Doorless hut in the Dark World" is probably that house in Thieves' Town that you have to bomb to get into. You passed by a similar one in the Light World.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Are the delayed reactions a consequence of your recording setup, or is the commentary track behind?

Commentary track is slightly behind. There's a split second delay between hitting the record button in the emulator and the emulator actually recording, so my audio cue for the recording isn't spot on. Manually adjusting it isn't always effective, but I figured it was close enough.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
In this episode, Simon falls apart, and we find a useful upgrade.

Rockman CX #2: Super Mario Brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

In this episode, Simon falls apart, and we find a useful upgrade.

Rockman CX #2: Super Mario Brother

That level was kind of neat in way. I liked how everything got darker at one point, showing that you're diving deeper into the ocean. The underground castle idea is pretty cool.

Those shrimp creatures seem like a huge pain, though. Especially that spawner you were fighting.

• Locked thread