Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This one's pretty long because there were two levels that just wouldn't end.

More importantly, when developing a level and its theme, sometimes you have to realize that you really should stick to one idea instead of cramming in multiple ideas. The first level is a perfect example of trying to do too much and not focusing on the part that actually works best.

And make sure your fog settings work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Halfway through the swamp level, did the bottom two pipes go anywhere?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That bad future level gave me some very strong Super Meat Boy vibes. The second level was just bad all the way through. It felt like the level creator kept getting better and better at their level while they tested it, so they kept adding poo poo to make it even more challenging until you got both that porcupuffer section and the non-transparent fog as the conclusions of that idea.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't bother watching the Hogwarts level all the way to the end because I checked the previews on the video timer and it dragged on for the remainder. And I didn't have to play through it- it must be a chore to play through some of these.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ramos posted:

Halfway through the swamp level, did the bottom two pipes go anywhere?

No they were just static pipes. If they were exit-enabled however they would have led to the same area. Exits to different areas in SMW are handled on a per-screen basis. One screen is 16 blocks wide, so setting an exit on that screen means that any exit-enabled pipe or door on that 16-block wide screen will lead to the same location. Only through custom assembly can people circumvent this, which makes it out of the question for the contest.

Anywhere that you see two doors in very close proximity to each other but go to different locations are playing with the screen boundaries by putting one door on one screen and the other door on a different one with both screens set to go to different locations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Very interesting, I'm learning a lot more from this LP than I expected. Thanks!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 6

Actually finishing dungeons again! Whoo!

P.S. before I could even hit 'Publish' on this episode, Nintendo had a copyright claim on it. Now that's efficiency.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

That bad future level gave me some very strong Super Meat Boy vibes. The second level was just bad all the way through. It felt like the level creator kept getting better and better at their level while they tested it, so they kept adding poo poo to make it even more challenging until you got both that porcupuffer section and the non-transparent fog as the conclusions of that idea.

Yeah, I felt the same way about the first level. We got to the forest fire and sawblades and rotating sawblades and wow I'm back in the Dark World! Hey, there's a solution to the first level having too many parts: scrap the Sonic CD gimmick and adopt a Super Meat Boy gimmick instead. Merge the Good Future and the first part of the forest, and then do the midpoint trick, and then when you enter again you're in the dark world forest all of a sudden :v:

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 6

Actually finishing dungeons again! Whoo!

P.S. before I could even hit 'Publish' on this episode, Nintendo had a copyright claim on it. Now that's efficiency.

Video spoiler:
Ha, you finally got those chests to the west of Misery Mire! I have no idea why, but for some reason that was driving me bonkers.

And sheesh, I tried this thing out on my own and got lucky enough to land a seed that put me in a failstate. The Fire Rod was located in the big chest of Skull Woods like it would normally be, but the big key was in the entrance that requires the Fire Rod. At least the second attempt at a run gave me the Gold Sword when I pulled out the Master Sword.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Heavy Sigh posted:

If Mega Man Universe had ever come out, it would've just been this, forever.

ROCKMAN CX #4: The Video That Broke Simon.
(Heavy Sigh, SnoruntPyro, Shinryu, and Floor)

Loving this series so far! Broken level design, a solid Mario tribute, and Floor. Excited to see it play out!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

MrLamo2k1 posted:

And sheesh, I tried this thing out on my own and got lucky enough to land a seed that put me in a failstate. The Fire Rod was located in the big chest of Skull Woods like it would normally be, but the big key was in the entrance that requires the Fire Rod.

Allegedly, any fire effect in the right spot will open the Skull Woods entrance, so you can get in via Bombos and careful placement of Link.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can see why they'd let you switch between the Flute and the Shovel at will, but is there any point to using the Boomerang once you've gotten the Magical Boomerang?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Paperwork is a balm for the Quickbeamed soul.

ROCKMAN CX #5: Dogs Are Horses
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Shinryu, Lesgirl, and TorpidTypist)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I can see why they'd let you switch between the Flute and the Shovel at will, but is there any point to using the Boomerang once you've gotten the Magical Boomerang?

Presumably the method that originally upgraded the Regular to Magic Boomerang gives you a different item, so you need to have access to the regular boomerang in order to go down that line & get whatever item is there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only merciful part of Lumbergh Man's stage (that's my name for the office manager and I'm sticking to it) is that the Quick Man lasers are only two screens. A rare sign of mercy from a stage that pours on the enemy damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why aren't you using your weapons more? The standard buster sucks, use the weapons!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

oldskool posted:

Presumably the method that originally upgraded the Regular to Magic Boomerang gives you a different item, so you need to have access to the regular boomerang in order to go down that line & get whatever item is there.
That's a good point. CirclMastr seems to have decided not to check the Magic Fountain, perhaps because the reward is Rupees or Arrows or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why Morph Moth's stage music
Also this game has too many unhelpful gimmick weapons

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why aren't you using your weapons more? The standard buster sucks, use the weapons!
I'd normally be echoing you, but Sigh is clearly trying to use the weapons a lot, he entered the menu at least three times this video, then he looked at the options and did a namesake. I'm not about to try the game myself and test them for uses like I used to do for MM5 and such, but I strongly suspect based on past experience with Fangames that they just ARE loving bad. Many creators treat weapons as an afterthought and make seven slight variations of the same theme "no good trajectory, also deals too little damage" and one stupidly overpowered one (which might or might not have too little ammo to really be useful...or exist).

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Oh boy, if you thought the last Super Mario RPG romhack was pretty good have I got something for you.

Axem Rangers (1/2)

Edit: Fixed the audio stuff.

Garbonix fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 16, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The volume on that video is incredibly soft just like the first Reverse 22 video was. I really can't hear what's going on without cranking my speakers to max.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

I'd normally be echoing you, but Sigh is clearly trying to use the weapons a lot, he entered the menu at least three times this video, then he looked at the options and did a namesake. I'm not about to try the game myself and test them for uses like I used to do for MM5 and such, but I strongly suspect based on past experience with Fangames that they just ARE loving bad. Many creators treat weapons as an afterthought and make seven slight variations of the same theme "no good trajectory, also deals too little damage" and one stupidly overpowered one (which might or might not have too little ammo to really be useful...or exist).

Of the weapons we have right now, only Ringo Shield and Fire Ball are even remotely good, and neither are much use when you're going upwards.

Ringo Shield blocks most projectiles but doesn't do anything against stuff like the Friender's fire streams. That, plus the fact that you have to drop the shield to actually attack anything make it situational at best.

Fire Ball is nice, but it's only good against stuff directly in front of or below you, and it's totally useless if there's a pit between you and the enemy.

Dead Ringer is just completely loving useless.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FPzero posted:

The volume on that video is incredibly soft just like the first Reverse 22 video was. I really can't hear what's going on without cranking my speakers to max.

It's mostly your co-pilot that is extra quiet, I would raise her levels if you can next time.

Also, is it a trend in SMRPG hacks for there to be just simply godawful paint jobs that make things almost impossible to distinguish? The last one stuck to just black and white but was still hideous, this one seems to be willing to try out other colors, but a full wash still looks so, so bad.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

It's mostly your co-pilot that is extra quiet, I would raise her levels if you can next time.

Also, is it a trend in SMRPG hacks for there to be just simply godawful paint jobs that make things almost impossible to distinguish? The last one stuck to just black and white but was still hideous, this one seems to be willing to try out other colors, but a full wash still looks so, so bad.

Oh trust me if it is a hack with anything really custom in it they have a really bad paint job. Just look at this. That is eye bleeding in the colors.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's a SMRPG hack called "Mario Is A Drug Addict". Do you really expect any attempt at quality control, intelligent game design, or genuine wit from someone whose idea for a romhack was "HURR DURR SUPER MARIO BROS HAS MUSHROOMS IN IT MUST BE DRUGS HURR DURR"? That joke was funny the first time I heard it. In middle school. I'd imagine the hack's author is probably about that age, or was at the time they made it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 2 - It's Not a Happy Place :siren:

In this episode, we discover new horrors lurking on Mt. Koltz! Also, I keep talking about the seed I generated for playing on the go, and if I come across something particularly funny, I'll post it here in the thread. Without any further ado:

Mobile Seed Interlude

In this video, we saw a neat little variant in the Shadow stand-in's introductory fade to black: Interceptor was able to share the spotlight! But, I wonder.. what if Interceptor hogged the spotlight all for himself?

"That's SHADOGE...! He'd slit his mama's throat for a beggin' strip!"

Now, I may have cleaned this image up a little bit, but this actually did happen! I decided to take the time to clean out the button interface, since I felt it was a little distracting :v:. Any future mobile screenshots I may take ought to actually come out in SNES resolution, since it turns out there's a screenshot function I can use that's built into the app.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 17, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 2 - It's Not a Happy Place :siren:

In this episode, we discover new horrors lurking on Mt. Koltz! Also, I keep talking about the seed I generated for playing on the go, and if I come across something particularly funny, I'll post it here in the thread. Without any further ado:

Mobile Seed Interlude

In this video, we saw a neat little variant in the Shadow stand-in's introductory fade to black: Interceptor was able to share the spotlight! But, I wonder.. what if Interceptor hogged the spotlight all for himself?

"That's SHADOGE...! He'd slit his mama's throat for a beggin' strip!"

Now, I may have cleaned this image up a little bit, but this actually did happen! I decided to take the time to clean out the button interface, since I felt it was a little distracting :v:. Any future mobile screenshots I may take ought to actually come out in SNES resolution, since it turns out there's a screenshot function I can use that's built into the app.

I'm really enjoying this. Please keep doing them.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

hanales posted:

I'm really enjoying this. Please keep doing them.

Dem and I will ensure this.

So knowing about vanilla and its strange quirks I wanted to do a little roundup of what's been missed during the videos. This will cover the first 2 episodes. Don't know if I'll keep pace from now on or if I'll do every other week or not. But behold, just how much Beyond Chaos loves/hates you, the player.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146658

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:stare: There's items in all those random boxes and barrels in South Figaro? I've played this game a half-dozen times and never knew about any of those.

e: holy poo poo R-Nuke who the gently caress put Let's Break The Game into one easy to use command because I want to be their friend forever :allears: I'm glad I gave this seed a second chance after half of Mt. Koltz decided to show off their instakill moves a couple nights ago on my first go-round.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 17, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I have a feeling we'll both be :stare: 'ing at various things we missed. I had that reaction a couple times in Feyer's roundup.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

It's a SMRPG hack called "Mario Is A Drug Addict". Do you really expect any attempt at quality control, intelligent game design, or genuine wit from someone whose idea for a romhack was "HURR DURR SUPER MARIO BROS HAS MUSHROOMS IN IT MUST BE DRUGS HURR DURR"? That joke was funny the first time I heard it. In middle school. I'd imagine the hack's author is probably about that age, or was at the time they made it.
One joke in that made me laugh. In the part where Geno reveals himself, he says, "My name is Jamiroquoi, but nobody can pronounce that." Otherwise it's your standard dongs/drugs/racism hack.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/832447227138293760

(We recorded more VLDC tonight and OBS tried to not process the two hour recording and after three minutes of us sitting there staring at a blank file it finally finished. We nearly died)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
What if...Quickbeams WERE platforms?

ROCKMAN CX #6: The Saddest Rider Kick
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Shinryu, Lesgirl, and TorpidTypist)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The hack creator loves putting those helicopter baddies on every screen, doesn't he?

I can't stand the beginning of NES-ified version of the Mega Man X3 weapon get theme.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am sad I was not around for this particular episode. also a missed opportunity for Riderman

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is the sort of level we love seeing. So much creativity went into the first level here, we kinda spend the whole time gushing over it.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.
Could you get enough coins to get the bonus block to spit out its 1-up to get the Yoshi to grow up in the second level? Looking at all the coins and coin blocks in the beginning, I think that might be the intended way?

Also that Ninji level looked great.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Three koopas, a goomba, and a one-up, then you jump through, land on Yoshi, and ride him out of there.

Speaking as a non-SMW-superfan, the Ninji level is one of the few where I thought "hey, I'd actually enjoy playing this". It has a cute theme, a decent number of variations on it, reasonable difficulty, and non-excessive length.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Something just occurred to me - does the emulator you're using support keystroke recording? If it does then in theory you can just recreate your footage using the emulator in case OBS freaks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are the ninji hole outlines considered non-vanilla? Would that be why it received a penalty?

• Locked thread