Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rollersnake posted:

Question because I'm stuck: Finding the lantern will give me that light cone, and I shouldn't have to go through any dark room until I have it, correct? The only progression items I have are the Moon Pearl and the first glove, I have almost no keys (2 to castle tower, 1 to dark palace), and I can't figure out how to progress without going through a dark room, unless there's a Dark World portal accessible to me that I don't remember.

Correct. Dark World access requires at the very least one of the following sets of items: lv2 gloves OR lv1 gloves and hammer OR master sword (or higher) or the cape plus the lantern to access the tower and defeat Agahnim.

Something you might want to consider is to use a tracker like this one to give you an idea of what's actually available to you if you're not completely sure of it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Thanks. It was actually an even more obvious spot than any of those that I forgot, and it's extremely clear where I need to go next now.

Edit: Also maybe forget what I said about this being a challenging run, lol.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 17, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Randomizer logic won't require you to go into dark rooms without the lantern. So anything on death mountain is out unless you get the flute.

That said, if you get dark world access before flute then it can be anywhere in the dark world you could normally access there.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Last bit of Extra Content for R4MI: Fun with Rush Cannon.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I still regret not being able to provide that arena footage, don't know if spoilering matters anymore but i'll keep doing it, but I seriously have no idea where it all went. Great LP though, haven't seen one that comprehensive since the early versions of the game.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Hi I'm [INCONSISTENT USER NAME ON ALL ACCOUNTS] and me n' my friend are paly Pokemon.

Chaos Edition?
This is Pokemon Black version run through the Universal Pokemon Randomizer with most of the boxes ticked.

Does this count as a romhack?
It's a modification of the code of a video game rom, so yeah.

So what boxes did you tick?
-Base Stats are completely randomized, though they will fall under the original Base Stat Total (BST).
-EXP curve is normalized so everything will level up at the same rate.
-Stat Randomization ordering will follow the evolutionary line.
-BSTs will be changed to the updated totals from future games in the series, so things like Pidgeot and Beedrill will have a few more points to work with.
-Pokemon will evolve into ANYTHING as long as they share a type, and will more than likely evolve into something of a similar strength to what they would normally evolve into in an unmodified game.
-Also the types of Pokemon and all moves are changed. Type effectiveness remains the same as the base game.
-Pokemon Abilities are randomized. Wonder Guard will appear. Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Magnet Pull, Truant, Slow Start, and Defeatist will not.
-Starters will all be randomized, as long as they can evolve 2 more times.
-Static Field Pokemon are randomized (Legendary Pokemon will always be a random Legendary Pokemon, Non-legendaries will always be non-legendary)
-Trades are completely random
-Moves, on top of having new typing, will also have random Power, Accuracy, PP, and damage type Category (Physical/Special)
-Movesets are randomized completely as well, with weaker moves generally being learned first.
-All Pokemon start with 4 Moves.
-Trainers have random Pokemon with type-themed teams.
-life is a hell we can never escape without losing everything
-Trainers will have different names and class names, and will always have Fully Evolved Pokemon after level 45.
-Every Pokemon on a route will be replaced with a new Pokemon, and will repeat infrequently in the hopes that duplicates on routes will be uncommon.
-No legendaries will appear in the wild outside of normal event locations.
-All Wild Pokemon have their held item tables randomized.
-All TMs and their compatibility will are randomized. All HMs can be learned by everything so that we can't get stuck.
-All Items on the overworld are randomized entirely.
-FASTEST TEXT SPEED, WHICH BREAKS SOME DIALOGUE BOXES HELL YEAH LET'S GO

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

also these will be edited down heavily for episodes where there is not constantly new stuff happening, I know how tedious watching an uncut Pokemon LP can be and I won't subject you all to that

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 24, 2018

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The audio seems really quiet, both game and commentary. Any way you could turn it up in the future?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Jade Rider posted:

The audio seems really quiet, both game and commentary. Any way you could turn it up in the future?

I can try. Unfortunately I don't have a good mic that doesn't pick up a TON of noise and if I have the volume of the game up all the way it drowns me out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, randomizers are always fun, especially when taken to the extreme. Reminds me of that time I randomized one of the Gen 1 games but to absolute max chaos. It gave some really interesting results.

Also it's good to know Cheren Biker Joey is almost as good as his non-randomized version.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Pokemon Black Chaos Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JVGLg4u1B0
In which discover that we're too tired to be recording but we keep going anyway

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F88BJoLqjLI
Pt 3. Sorry if it's a little quiet again. The audio's gonna be mildly hosed up until the second session. Anyway we encounter this drat rear end rock.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 24, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I'm enjoying seeing just how messed up you've made this game but I've got a few suggestions to improve your videos since I believe you mention in one of the vids that you're not super experienced with this stuff yet.

First off, I'm not sure your intro is needed since we already know what we're clicking on when we see an update in the thread. Personally, I'd rather just see the game begin immediately.
Second, I don't think I understand most of the inserted jokes and clips you're editing into the videos. What was the point of the Eric Andre clip at the end of episode 2 or the skateboarding kid in 3? Stuff like these clips are taking me out of the moment more than anything else because they're generally not introduced leaving me to guess why I'm suddenly watching 15 seconds of something unrelated to the LP. That said, I'm cool with the Spanish Flea over top a technical difficulties image for when you need it because it's simple and the image describes exactly why it's there. Also because Spanish Flea is funny and I've used it in my own videos for dumb poo poo before too. I also think other small things like the R.I.P. images screens for Slugma and Nincada during that Riolu fight were fine because I do enjoy dumb stuff like that in videos. So there are good edits and bad edits in here, and I'd say the best ones are the ones that make the most sense in context with what's going on and probably don't require obscure outside knowledge or injokes to get.
Third, you mentioned a couple times that you're worried about dead air. From experience, I'll tell you that it's better to have a few seconds of dead air than to force yourself to say something to fill it. You and your friend mesh well together in conversation and that matters more than forcing out filler sentences. That said, I know you said you were worried than if he ever stops talking, that means his internet has crapped out and so it's a way for you to check for technical difficulties. Try to find a balance if possible.
Fourth, you've mentioned a few times now that there are a couple problems with audio balance when comparing your voice with the game's volume. My recommendation to solve this, if you aren't already, is to record your voice totally separate from the game's audio by using an external recorder like Audacity. I assume that you're capturing your voice, your friends voice and the game's audio all at the same time. Recording them separately will allow you to adjust volumes manually before you put together the final video product, but all this will result in a longer editing process. In fact, your friend can also record their audio locally with Audacity and then send it to you. If you need help with this sort of recording setup, I'm sure the Tech Support Fort would be able to help in more detail.
Fifth, now that you've started employing editing to jump around and skip some things (which is a good thing overall) here are some tips to have cleaner cuts. Instead of a straight jump cut like what happens when you moved from the item bag to the trainer fight, you should use half-second or one-second Fade Outs/Ins or Cross Dissolves to make the transition less jarring and clearly inform the viewer that we've jumped ahead in time. The first time it happened, which was the cut to the trainer fight, I wasn't sure what had happened and spent a couple seconds figuring out "oh we're doing editing now". This sounds really nitpicky and I'm sorry if it comes off that way

And now for a big thing I wanted to mention. While I have absolutely no problem with you doing this LP in this thread, you may have missed the conversation that was going on in here that I was planning to wrap this thread up, close it, and send my stuff off to be archived. Given that conversation, I was surprised to see you put a new LP in here. Again, it's not a problem, but I can't help but imagine you're missing out on viewers by putting what seems like it'll be a decently long LP in an old and dying thread like this one. I wouldn't want to see you in a situation where your update posts make up the last 5 posts in this thread in a row because very few people are watching and commenting. I'd almost suggest that you take this LP and make your own thread for it simply so that it doesn't get lost in here and could potentially reach more viewers. You'd be able to link it in the New LPs thread too.

If you do a new thread though, I'd suggest going back and re-editing the videos to remove the intros and apply some of the suggestions above just because while this thread is a great place for first time LPs, the rest of the subforum might be a little more judgmental of quality than I am. It might be a bit of a hard sell for viewers since a VLP of a Pokemon game sounds like a total turn-off seeing as most Pokemon LPs are screenshot based for the sake of time and avoiding showing grind. You'll really have to edit the videos heavily to avoid getting bogged down in the details and keep thread viewers watching. Thankfully, an LP of what essentially amounts to Pokemon Black: Chaos Edition does have a selling point to it, so you may be able to pull in viewers with that alone.

That said, if you would rather keep the videos in this thread only because it's a more casual affair in here, that's perfectly fine with me. I won't close the thread on you and who knows, maybe someone else will have some kind of romhack content they want to put in here while it remains open. I hope you guys keep going because this has potential. Just see what you can do in the future to improve the video quality with some of the suggestions I had.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Hey thanks for the critique. Honestly the clip at the end of episode 2 was because I literally had no idea how to end that episode and didn't have a good opportunity to put something better there because I only have so many opportunities to upload in a week. Episode 3's clip was to attempt to provide some context for why we kept talking about a drat rear end rock, but I understand that in trying to trim it down to keep it punctual it also lost a lot in translation. And yeah I did completely miss the conversation. It's okay, feel free to lock er on up, I'll figure out what my long term plan is for this nonsense tomorrow.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 25, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you really want to move this out of the thread and into your own, I wouldn't mind you posting the link to it in here so that anyone who started watching, myself included, can follow it to its new thread. Again though, you're not unwelcome to continue posting the LP in here!

As for ending episodes, sometimes I find the best way to end is to just find when there's a natural break in the conversation, or a moment between a topic shift and then just fade out to black. Simple, clean and not sudden.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'll chime in to say that I enjoy watching this bizarro version of pokemon and would like to continue doing so.

FP does a way better job of offering constructive criticism than I could.
But one thing I'd like to ask is that until you get to the point where your audio situation is better, please make sure the inserted clips aren't so much louder than the rest of the video. I appreciate the technical difficulties thing, but :rip: my eardrums.

If you do end up shifting over to another thread, please link it in here so I can keep track.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852617

Aight, made a new thread. Thanks for the input, hopefully by the next recording session I'll have resolved our audio problems.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Remember to announce your thread in the new LPs thread.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks to this thread I've beaten Link to the Past for the first time ever. In keysanity...
I was right, it was less frustrating than doing the ice palace legit. Although it was really driving me nuts at some points, even when using that Stumpy tracker page.

I'd missed the bombable wall in the back of "hype cave" and of course that had the one key that I needed to progress. Also, the first goddamn sword was in skull woods.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still haven't quite finished up my run, but late in the game it pulled some interesting tricks, like having to get the Green Pendant from Turtle Rock to give to Sahasrahla in exchange for the Ether medallion (needed to enter Misery Mire).

I noticed early on that the hammer was in the lumberjacks' cave, and it's interesting how much you can infer about the game's structure based on that alone.

Also a hilariously disproportionate number of important items (boots, second glove, flippers, and mirror) were in that southeast section of Death Mountain you need the hookshot to reach, and the first bottle was in Ganon's Tower.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 27, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
This "Link to the Past + Super Metroid Crossover Randomizer" looks right up this thread's alley...

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-wild-new-mash-up-of-link-to-the-past-and-sup-1826049172

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

This "Link to the Past + Super Metroid Crossover Randomizer" looks right up this thread's alley...

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-wild-new-mash-up-of-link-to-the-past-and-sup-1826049172

My god. Science has gone too far this time.

I really want to try to play this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ulmont posted:

That's the weirdest randomizer idea I've ever heard and I'm genuinely surprised it's even possible. I'd love to see it played, since I'm not going to play it myself as I have no interest in Metroid and very little interest in Zelda.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Funny you all should mention that... because Artix and I streamed it for 3 1/2 hours yesterday.

Overall impressions, iiiiiiit's early in development. We ended up with a pretty bad seed. It needs more safeguards in place to prevent the Super Metroid portion from being a hunt for the Morph Ball. If you can't spare 3 1/2 hours to watch it, I'll basically save you some time by saying it takes us about 2 1/2 hours of playing LttP almost exclusively to find the Morph Ball, and then the last hour is my marathoning around Zebes accomplishing all me objectives without having to return to LttP because I'd already found all my powerful weapons and movement tech for SM while trying to find Morph Ball.

As things stand now, there isn't enough interactivity between the games. But this is something the developers hope to address once they're finished making sure the whole thing is stable and mostly bug-free. Adding in existing LttP variations is a big priority, like Keysanity, as well as ideas to make keys and Big Keys work and unlock doors in Super Metroid.

We're pretty down on the idea by the end but personally I see promise as it gets better. Definitely something I want to revisit again in a little while.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Thanks for posting that video; the one on Kotaku was filled with the streamer getting interrupted by poo poo like "prettyO prettyO prettyO" over and over again. :ughh:

Why aren't the normal safeguards in place for Super Metroid since you appear to always start there? Or is that one of the future plans?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I assume it's because the whole thing is at a barely functional public state right now. No matter what complaints I might have about it right now I can't help but be INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED that this is even possible!

Future plans definitely include trying to safeguard stuff better. I've been hanging out in their discord and giving some feedback and suggestions so I've also been seeing a few plans for later releases.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That's great to hear. I probably won't get around to trying it out for a while, so hopefully by then it will have a bit more polish.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Thanks for posting that video; the one on Kotaku was filled with the streamer getting interrupted by poo poo like "prettyO prettyO prettyO" over and over again. :ughh:

Why aren't the normal safeguards in place for Super Metroid since you appear to always start there? Or is that one of the future plans?

SM randomizer is designed for absurdly technical players who like breaking the game the same 3 ways at the start of every run.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Super Metroid is much more heavily-gated than LttP is, in that e.g. you can have a ton of overpowered crap but if you don't have morphball or bombs you're still not going anywhere outside of the landing site. Whereas in LttP a lot of areas have multiple powerup paths that grant you access to them. Like, access to the Pyramid can be gotten by beating Agahnim, having hammer + gloves, having Titan's Mitts + flippers, and possibly something involving the hookshot as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Super Metroid is much more heavily-gated than LttP is, in that e.g. you can have a ton of overpowered crap but if you don't have morphball or bombs you're still not going anywhere outside of the landing site. Whereas in LttP a lot of areas have multiple powerup paths that grant you access to them. Like, access to the Pyramid can be gotten by beating Agahnim, having hammer + gloves, having Titan's Mitts + flippers, and possibly something involving the hookshot as well.

In randomizer you get speed booster or screw attack and then nothing really matters besides finding the ice beam.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not much of a surprise, I just checked the katakana for the LttP save file and it's Samusu.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hadn’t checked in on this thread in a while but now that it’s winding down there is a dedicated zelda/rando thread in games.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854609&perpage=40#post483254724

Aaaand a discord! There are some goons in the current tournament we are cheering on and we do weekly seeds in the thread as well.

https://discord.gg/Pt5xbp4

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So I watched my way through all of FPZ's Keysanity LP and enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Except for the part where they talked about Crow having many regrets about modding LP.

How come no one brought up the time where Crow literally cheated at Let's Play Paper Scissors Rock because he got mad at people ignoring his posts? And then he was declared the official loser of the entire LP by trying to corrupt the Prisoners Dilemma that was the tie breaker.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gridlocked posted:

So I watched my way through all of FPZ's Keysanity LP and enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Except for the part where they talked about Crow having many regrets about modding LP.

How come no one brought up the time where Crow literally cheated at Let's Play Paper Scissors Rock because he got mad at people ignoring his posts? And then he was declared the official loser of the entire LP by trying to corrupt the Prisoners Dilemma that was the tie breaker.

Paging nine-gear crow to defend himself in a court of law.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

This was the best part of the LP, you do realize that, right?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This was the best part of the LP, you do realize that, right?

:colbert: The best part was the victory at the end where we all denied Crow

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Apparently the LttP/SM crossover randomizer just added a "casual mode" that doesn't require major glitches to run Metroid and also puts the morph ball in the vanilla location. Haven't confirmed it personally.

https://smalttp.speedga.me/ took a while to find the actual generator, my googling for it was just people talking about the thing without links.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FPzero posted:

Paging nine-gear crow to defend himself in a court of law.

But Crow is the law here in LP? :thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

But Crow is the law here in LP? :thunk:

Indeed. I have heard your arguments and I adjudge the lot of you guilty. Case dismissed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Being the law does not make you above it. :colbert: I posit that, because the judge is also the accused, they are unfit to pass judgment on this case on grounds that they are inherently biased and cannot act as an impartial party, so this trial is a sham until a judge that is fit to preside is found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mods, rename this thread Let's Play The Court System

I'd like to start the discovery process.

• Locked thread