Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 3
So begins the eternal quest for the Lamp.

So the new version randomizes swords, pendants and crystals, but only among each other, so you can't find them in chests? What is even the point then? Especially crystals, they all have the same function anyway. Who cares if you get the Misery Mire crystal from the Ice Palace?

I hope I've got this wrong, because if there's even a chance to get an early sword upgrade and kill Moldorm faster (or not even need to) I am all over that. What an awful, awful boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

Stink Terios posted:

Oh hey, Sky at The Weird. Serious contender for worst level in the game.

Yeah, how in the hell did it make it as high as 52nd? :pwn:

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Is this why every romhack and fangame gets weighed down with ridiculous drama?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
There's something kind of satisfying about having this super-long game that you can keep coming back to and chip away at, knowing there's always more game to be had. Like a Mario game with five hundred stages or something, it's kind of impressive just how much you could get out of it. Then you think "I'm going to play this same romhack for a month" and yeah nope.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
I realize this is an exhaustive rom hack of Super Mario World, because people couldn't stop playing it and had to make their own. And there's terms like 1f0 blocks and sprite limits being thrown around. And there's an entire Internet community devoted to it. And I'm watching a Let's Play of it. But the moment I hear Touhou music I immediately think "FUCKIN NERDS."

Like somehow that's the tipping point for me.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
People who play games are not good at designing games.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Are there any "slightly more difficult" romhacks out there, like just an expansion to the original game? That's what they always say they're going for and then you end up with... whatever the gently caress that was.

I really like Metroid Legacy for this exact reason.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
I watched someone play Rotation and it really messed me up for a while. Like it rotated my brain and it felt like everything was sideways. Can't imagine what actually playing it would do.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Bramble Scramble is my favorite stage.

I feel like I'm alone here.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Considering the original game is so finely tuned and crafted, how did the Cat of Nine Tails even make it into the game in the first place? It seems barely finished.

It's like they were getting ready to ship the game, then some programmer burst out of the office and ran after the truck shouting "I WANT TO MAKE A CAT."

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Okay I just saw Endless Elevator and now believe the level designer has an untreated mental illness.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
I love that you jumped on the first hot air balloon and immediately jumped off and went the other way without a word. Just nope nope nope.

I think this romhack had the exact same problem most of the bad levels in VLDC had, in that the level designers just don't understand the game they're designing for. These games give you two hits or so and have a single mid-level checkpoint and that's it. The obstacles are supposed to be more spaced out and manageable because the system makes each one way more potentially punishing. But this hack throws poo poo at you like it's trying to be a Megaman game and then takes away what little forgiveness for error you could have had with DK barrels. Even Megaman drops healing for you every so often in case you have to just brute force something. At the end it was basically asking you to play Super Meat Boy with only five lives, very long levels and a long wait between retries.

That still doesn't cover stuff like the level where enemies just randomly drop on you from offscreen. All that says to me is that the romhacker is rather, well, stupid on top of not knowing the game he's working on. What, you have a better explanation?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
In fairness I get screwed on the lamp almost every time I play this. It's like the one consistent thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
I just reset if a seed ever makes me fight Moldorm without an upgraded sword. I mean I know you do that in the base game, but no, never again.

• Locked thread