Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've played a little bit of Eris and drat does it love punishing exploration in the early game. I restarted a good dozen times before bombs just from taking morphball tunnels that proved nigh impossible to get back out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The new version of Redesign turns the suitless sections into optional speed strats but the other paths sound long and annoying.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's odd, I don't think I've encountered something like that. It'd have to be a morphball tunnel that drops you down a gap that's only 2 or 3 tiles wide; anything taller and you can jump into a midair morph to get back up it. Can you describe the areas you ran into that were giving you trouble?

There's a lot that dump you into spaces where you have a ceiling about half your height above you and that's all the room you have to make your midair morph. Probably not impossible but I'm not a machine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FPzero posted:

Not to my knowledge. Unless the tracks have been uploaded to Youtube, they're all just a bunch of .spc files hosted on SMWCentral. You can download and play .spc's with an SPC player but otherwise they won't play in a regular media player.

There's a lot of players that can handle game audio files with minimal tinkering.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Super Metroid Limit forces you into a gigantic Maridia and (if I recall correctly because I never played it again because it's poo poo) even forced you to fight Draygon without a Gravity Suit. That's just being a dick. Redesign did it slightly better. It's a slog, it takes time, but it's not TOO difficult, and the boss you fight is out of the water.

New Redesign makes suitless Maridia your punishment for chickening out on the hell run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Huh? I've played both versions and don't recall that at all.

I never actually did it but the the patch notes say there's a suitless section you can do to skip the hell run if you're just that bad at games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but opentyrian can't play Tyrian 2000.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scrublord Prime posted:

TooMuchAbstraction is correct, Zeromus gets a silent HP refill at a certain threshold as a counter attack. Once he gets below 16k HP the next time he gets damage he'll counter with that refill. Reflected magic doesn't trigger counters in FF4 so you can just spam those and only deal with his 61k(?) HP.

This old AGDQ FF4 run kills Zeromus with mostly reflected magic and deals ~62k damage to him. This more recent one just powers through it with Edge throwing duped Excaliburs for reference. They even note when the AI does the refill as a counter.

That's Square's answer to everything battle scripting related. Final boss changes forms? counter the first form dying. Enemy needs a fancy death animation? give it too much hp to oneshot and have it counter with its fancy death animation when lowered to oneshot range.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I tend to get myself in trouble walljumping too much in hacks and wasting tons of time looking for nonexistent secrets that way. And yet I loving hate Super Metroid Rotation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

If you can wall jump at all it isn't too bad. There are some extra platforms here and there too help you IIRC. Getting into the first door from the ship was the only real frustrating part for me.

The biggest thing that tripped me up in Rotation is that, though item locations are the same, you have to take a different route through the game and get things in a different order because of different lava/water levels in certain rooms and whatnot. It's pretty neat but I didn't really pick up the game again after having that revelation.

There's a bunch of side passages are that giant pain in the rear end to get out of, like the map room in the start of the game. This may have changed since the ancient version I played.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

magikid posted:

I watched someone play Rotation and it really messed me up for a while. Like it rotated my brain and it felt like everything was sideways. Can't imagine what actually playing it would do.

Make your hand sore from walljumping so much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I feed on your pain

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now that's the stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the store page posted:

Title Image
Must be smaller than 180x180 pixels and no larger than 150kB. Only GIF, PNG, and JPG images are allowed. Images should be "work-safe".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zora gave me a 20. Was really hoping for less of a dick move and more of a thing to give me some idea where to go.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SM Randomizer runs get really samey since anything that lets you out of the starting jail besides the intended items will usually blow the game wide open.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CirclMastr posted:

Does "no glitches" still make you go through dark rooms? Because I think I've gotten everything possible in my keysanity run except the old man on Death Mountain and the dark rooms in Eastern Palace, and I have no Moon Pearl and no mirror to do anything in the dark world.

No glitches requires no dark rooms. It's possible that something you need might be sitting on the the pyramid in dark world but more likely you missed something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quite a lot of annoying dark world monsters are, like the Skull Woods mummies, those bumper dudes, and the bomb cyclopes on the overworld.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This video shows the change pretty nicely: https://youtu.be/6lLv3VTB7qA?t=2187

Also, I think there's a way into the Dark World without gloves, just beat Agahnim. That should also enable the warp in the Castle Hyrule gate.

There's several places you can get in with hammer or hammer and level 1 gloves.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

You might have already mentioned it, but do the telepathy stones in the dungeons do anything important in this hack?

Pretty sure none of them are changed, so they'll just spit out some Japanese text

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Thanks for posting that video; the one on Kotaku was filled with the streamer getting interrupted by poo poo like "prettyO prettyO prettyO" over and over again. :ughh:

Why aren't the normal safeguards in place for Super Metroid since you appear to always start there? Or is that one of the future plans?

SM randomizer is designed for absurdly technical players who like breaking the game the same 3 ways at the start of every run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Super Metroid is much more heavily-gated than LttP is, in that e.g. you can have a ton of overpowered crap but if you don't have morphball or bombs you're still not going anywhere outside of the landing site. Whereas in LttP a lot of areas have multiple powerup paths that grant you access to them. Like, access to the Pyramid can be gotten by beating Agahnim, having hammer + gloves, having Titan's Mitts + flippers, and possibly something involving the hookshot as well.

In randomizer you get speed booster or screw attack and then nothing really matters besides finding the ice beam.

• Locked thread